Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
a
Andre
Polls time again?
In the recent past, we had quite a few polls in this forum. More details can be found here. Besides the 'always-open polls' we currently have the ongoing initiatives 'Hall Of Acclaim' (HOA) and 'A Yearly Chart On A Daily Basis' (AYCOADB). As we get nearer to th...
Views: 968   Replies: 22
Last Post: Nov 14, 2008 8:16pm
by jem
j
John
Bonus tracks: Love em or hate em?
I personally don't like them, or at least I don't like that they are on every album. I'd rather have the extras come out on a separate album for collectors to buy, but when I am buying an album I'd prefer to have the original track listing without having a bunch of w...
Views: 523   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 14, 2008 7:47am
by Sean Pak
Barack Obama
I know that a lot of people here are American, so I thought I'd bring this up, even if it isn't a politics board. I was reading one of the "Rolling Stone" interviews with him, and it just seems like Obama would be the exact type of person that would visit AM. He...
Views: 582   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 13, 2008 11:34pm
by Slush
m
ML
SONGS you don't like in the top 100?
Mine are : 31) Mr Tambourine Man 38) Superstition 43) That'll Be the Day 45) (We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock 46) When Doves Cry 51) Common People 66) Suspicious Minds 69) Bridge Over Troubled Water 72) That's All Right Mama 85) Mystery Train 86) Craz...
Views: 771   Replies: 18
Last Post: Nov 13, 2008 7:21pm
by Alex
d
Daniel
We need an Internet Music Database
Is anybody familiar with the Internet Movie Database? It is the most popular movie-related website online (57 million visitors a month). It includes just about all you would want to know about every movie, TV show, short film, video game, tv movie, or miniseries eve...
Views: 701   Replies: 14
Last Post: Nov 13, 2008 6:38pm
by Andre
b
Brian
RIP:The Jimi Hendrix Experience
With the death of drummer Mitch Mitchell the Jimi Hendrix Experience are all gone. I wonder if there's another other classic bands with all their members dead
Views: 431   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 13, 2008 4:55pm
by BillAdama
k
Kevin
Miles Davis
I Can't think of a truely more singular talent that has has ever existed in music. From the clasical stylings of Mozart, to the mind bending furiousity of Jimi Hendrix's Guitar. I come to the conclusion that Miles Davis is the most talented man in the History of musi...
Views: 500   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 13, 2008 5:26am
by Kevin
Release Dates
I'm looking for help tracking down release dates - right down to the specific day of the year - for these albums: Van Morrison - ASTRAL WEEKS Tom Waits - CLOSING TIME Miles Davis - SKETCHES OF SPAIN A-ha - HUNTING HIGH & LOW Bryan Adams - CUTS LIKE A KNIFE...
Views: 649   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 13, 2008 2:06am
by Anthony
j
John
What AM 3000 album am I?
I miss this game, it was going strong for awhile. I'll think of a question later but if anybody has one for us to guess go for it! I just wanted to get it going again since the boards have been a little dead the last month or so.
Views: 936   Replies: 44
Last Post: Nov 13, 2008 12:58am
by Spike
d
Daniel
Which source do you trust the most?
Aside from Acclaimed Music, which source do you trust the most when it comes to music? For me, I would put Rolling Stone magazine first (their 500 greatest albums/songs are pretty shot on), followed by the All Music Guide. I also visit Metacritic a lot, but their...
Views: 604   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 12, 2008 9:30pm
by BillAdama
what really annoys me
i realise that expecting to find hordes of people who love and understand music on the same level as me is simply too much to ask for, but what really gets to me is those people who claim to love music, know very little about it, and have so little respect for my tas...
Views: 660   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 11, 2008 11:43pm
by Moeboid
Does anyone here enjoy hi-fi?
most of the time i listen to music on a horrible little stereo from a local department store. good music doesn't really require anything special to make it sound good. in fact, sometimes good music is badly recorded and a great system will expose the flaws in the rec...
Views: 552   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 11, 2008 7:09pm
by John
The Acclaimed Music Web Site
Guys, Whilst the web site is brilliant and you people deserve great credit for putting it together I am still very confused ! It is a very simple question but how can certain artist be placed above others in the all time artists list when they have one album in the w...
Views: 504   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 11, 2008 1:08am
by John
the specials s/t reissue
http://www.amazon.com/Specials/dp/B00005YU95/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226322244&sr=8-1 "gangsters" has been omitted for the reissue! is that crazy or what!? i bought it, not realising at the time. gangsters actually is on the CD in the form of a promot...
Views: 660   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 10, 2008 1:11pm
by Moeboid
s
Stone
The Greatest "Singles" Ever: Killer Double-Sides (Part 1)
I recently asked myself: what is the greatest double-sided single ever? Of course, I wondered what acclaimed music, one of my favorite websites, would say. I have identified 54 singles that have two songs in the Acclaimed Music Top 3000. I ranked the singles by avera...
Views: 588   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 10, 2008 12:46pm
by Moeboid
HOA: 1972 eligibles list
With the release of their most iconic album, Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham climb into the top spot on the 1972 eligibles list. And the roster of new artists this year is a fun mix of female singer-songwriters, glam rockers, and smooth, smooth soul singers. You s...
Views: 631   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 10, 2008 3:33am
by schleuse
Forum Poll: The Best Albums and Songs of 1988
The year I was born, 1988, features some changes. The lists are now required to be in this format to save me a little time: Rank) Artist - Album/Song If possible, handing your lists in in an Excel file along with posting them in this topic would be ideal. You c...
Views: 2157   Replies: 70
Last Post: Nov 9, 2008 10:39pm
by BillAdama
HOA: 1971 voting thread
SPECIAL GOTV EDITION OF THE HALL OF ACCLAIM... Seems like I've heard that there's another election going on this week...I implore all US citizens on this Forum to participate in the presidential election (I voted early). As everyone here must know, this one is mon...
Views: 809   Replies: 23
Last Post: Nov 9, 2008 4:12am
by John
Jack Bruce knocks Led Zeppelin
Here's the interview from this site: http://www.musicradar.com/...age-crap-179860 Dave Ling: It's good news that there might be more from Cream? Jack Bruce: "Well, the trouble is that I'm doing so many amazing things on my own. Cream is just a band from many, m...
Views: 521   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 9, 2008 1:06am
by EDGE
h
H61R
The Last Music-Related Purchase You Made
What was it? Anything from amplifiers to and iPod charger applies (and of course regular music) I didn't buy it but got it as a gift: Love - Forever Changes
Views: 1850   Replies: 91
Last Post: Nov 9, 2008 12:59am
by tim
Kevin
Anyone care to name some of there favourite bands that just sound so unique and diffent thatthey're either way before there time or from another world. Animal Collective Captain Beefheart Battles
Views: 482   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 8, 2008 5:02pm
by Kevin
Do we collectively own the entire top 3000 albums
i bet we do, but let's see anyway. RULES: - do not post that you own albums until all of the albums before it have been accounted for. - you must own a physical copy of the album. either a CD or LP. downloading it does not count even if you paid for it. (no off...
Views: 660   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 6, 2008 3:25am
by BillAdama
j
John
Streamdrag
This little site takes all the YouTube videos that are actually just music with a slideshow and streams them for you without the video. http://streamdrag.com/
Views: 613   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 3, 2008 9:24pm
by John
HOA: 1971 eligibles list
With 1970 releases now in the books, Morrison overtakes Morrison for the top spot this week. You should check out the 1970 results on the RESULTS THREAD if you haven’t done so yet. Post your ballots on the 1971 voting thread. HALL OF ACCLAIM: TOP 50...
Views: 726   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 3, 2008 3:32am
by schleuse
HOA: 1970 voting thread
Sailing into a new decade...it's the 1970 HOA election. Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1968. When considering your vote, you may want to check out the top 50 eligible candidates. For a reminder of who’s...
Views: 651   Replies: 16
Last Post: Nov 3, 2008 2:39am
by Schwah
All Music
Hey, this is my first time posting on this forum but, I am a longtime reader of the site. Has anyone noticed that allmusic.com has started to change some of the ratings of some albums? For example, they changed Elephant from 4.5 stars to 5 stars and the did the same...
Views: 427   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 3, 2008 12:43am
by AJackson
k
Kevin
IMPORTANT SONGS OF THIS DECADE
It came up briefly in another thread about Arcade Fire's Intervention. Does anyone care to share there opinions on important songs of this decade. Not necessarily your favourite songs, but those of which you feel left a mark on many people. Outkast : B. O. B. Arc...
Views: 616   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 1, 2008 4:25am
by Kevin
a
ako
Any Spotify users out there?
Is there anyone else on this forum that has started using Spotify lately? I got an invitation a couple of weeks ago to start using there free or commercialy financed streaming service. I get access to a hugh database of music if i can accept a commercial break every...
Views: 739   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 1, 2008 12:26am
by ako
s
STEFAN
MEGA-CRITIC-COMPETITION OCTOBER : THE CLUES
Guess (Deadline = 25th) the highest entry into this month´s Mega-Critic-Chart (Publication = 31st) as well as its position and enter the chance to win that CD. Another rather weak month with lots of more or less average acclaimed releases. Some of them still...
Views: 709   Replies: 15
Last Post: Oct 31, 2008 8:11pm
by BillAdama
Radiohead influenced by Nirvana?
I think so. I've always thought so, but i'm yet to find anyone who agrees. It's in the vocals. The way the words are sung in a way that makes tham hard to understand. Slurred together almost... Am i crazy?
Views: 800   Replies: 30
Last Post: Oct 31, 2008 4:22am
by Kevin
party starters / killers
my girlfriend and i had this discussion a while ago and it was quite fun so i thought i would try to make it a game. add (as in keep the previous ones. maybe we'll end up with a nice play list or something?) a song to each category. they be mentioned on AM so when...
Views: 535   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 30, 2008 11:24pm
by Slush
k
Kevin
DEERHUNTER - Microcastle
Its been out for a while. Just thought it was worth mentioning to those who are looking for something good and interesting. They are a very talented band, Kind of a velvet underground for modern times. I usually listen to an album at least 4 to 5 times before I...
Views: 464   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 29, 2008 6:18pm
by Sean Pak
HOA: 1969 voting thread
We're up to our tenth election, and the last to take place in the sixties: the 1969 Hall of Acclaim election. Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1968. When considering your vote, you may want to check out the top...
Views: 577   Replies: 19
Last Post: Oct 29, 2008 11:04am
by Honorio
Little Toy Gun
I am so stoked for my fave new band, HoneyHoney. They have a new album out today {First Rodeo) and my fave song by them is now their single (Little Toy Gun). Just checked out the video the other day on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtQw94OpNKw and it is sooo good! T...
Views: 464   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 28, 2008 9:29pm
by Harold Wexler
MUZIQ - 101 CD Live
Hi Henrik, here's another list which selects some important live albums from 1956 onwards. It is in chronological order and was published in the issue n°12 in January/February 2008. If you're interested in this magazine, try www.muziq.fr DUKE ELLINGTON: Compl...
Views: 720   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 27, 2008 11:29am
by olivier moinet
HOA: 1970 eligibles list
Quite a lot of action this year—a very impressive cadre of 14 new artists on the list, and this time, they’re scattered from top to bottom, so look carefully. And 11 artists, including some Very Big Names, fell off the list this year. You should check...
Views: 437   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 27, 2008 4:16am
by schleuse
Muse
What's everyone's opinion of muse? their name has popped up here a few times, which is strange for a band that isn't all that high up on AM. i used to listen to them quite regularly, but i haven't done so in a long time. so long that i haven't bothered putting the...
Views: 589   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 26, 2008 5:31pm
by Moeboid
m
Murray
Nirvana (In Utero)
I'm new to this site. I've taken a real good look at the site. The one thing that boggles my mind is that NEVERMIND is so highly placed on this site. Maybe it's just me, but I always felt like IN UTERO was vastly superior. Another I would like to get off my chance...
Views: 626   Replies: 21
Last Post: Oct 26, 2008 2:51pm
by Moeboid
k
K
Nada Surf
This entire 'critically acclaimed by fans site' is so null and void with the most obscure 'critically acclaimed' bands but not nada surf. shut down the site!!!! joke!!!! arcade fire?? blah blah!!
Views: 597   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 25, 2008 8:57am
by K
m
Mark 1
Who do you listen to or prefer the most on this list?
This is Last F.M top five most listened artists and some notable names. 1- Coldplay 2- Radiohead 3- Metallica 4- The Beatles 5- Red Hot Chilli Peppers 13- Oasis 15- Led Zeppelin 29- The Rolling Stones 30- Bob Dylan 130- The Velvet Underground 161- Elv...
Views: 698   Replies: 15
Last Post: Oct 24, 2008 10:01pm
by Greg Rumpff
r
Rune
Funny band names
Inspired by Felonious Punk mentioned in a different thread, what other band names are particularly funny? Some Norwegian bands with great names: -Brutal Kuk (translated to "Brutal Dick") -Lene Stalin (funny word play on pop singer Lene Marlin) -Palestina Turner...
Views: 733   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 23, 2008 2:48pm
by Lamont
k
Kevin
Under Appreciated Albums Of The Decade
We have had top 10 of the deacde lists, But how about those of which you consider to be great, but seldom get the critical word they deserve. The albums Im about to list are obviously not on the short at of the bad reviews stick. However I do believe these album d...
Views: 834   Replies: 29
Last Post: Oct 22, 2008 12:44am
by BillAdama
k
Kevin
F*cked Up
9/10 The Chemistry of Common Life What a F*cking great album. It's been well over a month since anything good has popped up, UNTIL NOW. Upon first listen I was hooked. The shear raw energy that this album feeds on, is unlike anything Ive heard this year. It...
Views: 539   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 21, 2008 8:26pm
by NEW JOHN.....Soo...
s
STEFAN
UPDATE : 01/10/08 : MEGA-CRITIC : Best Reviewed Albums Of 2008 So Far (With Competition)
THE WINNER : As the highest New Entry this month was clear very early, I asked you to guess the exact position of TV On The Radio´s ´Dear Science´. Therefore this month´s winner is Andre. Your CD is ready to be sent. Please mail me your postal...
Views: 2700   Replies: 17
Last Post: Oct 21, 2008 12:37am
by Paranoid Android
The Junipers
A new band from England that I recommand to pop lovers : THE JUNIPERS Some tracks are listenable on their myspace page http://www.myspace.com/thejunipers and on their last.fm page http://www.lastfm.fr/music/The+Junipers
Views: 672   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 20, 2008 10:07pm
by Dumbangel
HOA: 1969 eligibles list
Not nearly as many new artists this year; the action this time has more to do with artists moving up the list, including a new #1 as Lady Soul moves past the Lizard King. You should check out the 1967 results on the results thread if you haven’t yet. Post...
Views: 500   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 20, 2008 4:01pm
by nicolas
j
John
The Week That Was
I had to hold off on writing this to give it a few listens but I can now safely say that this is easily my favorite album of this year. They've managed to created something fresh without sounding pretentious and unlistenable and frankly I didn't know if that was poss...
Views: 642   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 20, 2008 1:07am
by Andre
Benoit Pioulard
Has anyone else heard this album? It's a 2006 release; I discovered it a while back and haven't been able to get enough of it. If you haven't, check out the AllMusic review here.
Views: 863   Replies: 30
Last Post: Oct 20, 2008 12:49am
by Anthony
My blog : River's Invitation
I've always wanteed to start my own website, but, well, I'm a slow guy. But now I finally made the big dive and created a blog about music (and sometimes books) both in French and English (every post is written in both languages, but I don't always tell the same thi...
Views: 564   Replies: 14
Last Post: Oct 18, 2008 8:51pm
by nicolas
k
Kevin
TV ONE THE RADIO - Dear Science
10 out of 5 Dear Science exceeded my expectations by a mile. There Sophomore album " Return to Cookie Mountain" was outstanding, and there Debut "Desperate Youth, and Blood Thirsty Babes" was simply one of the best debuts ever. On Dear Science, they keep every...
Views: 904   Replies: 15
Last Post: Oct 18, 2008 12:12am
by Dan M
HOA: 1968 voting thread
Time for the 1968 Hall of Acclaim election. Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1967. When considering your vote, you may want to check out the top 50 eligible candidates. For a reminder of who’s already bee...
Views: 531   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 17, 2008 3:38pm
by Harold Wexler
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
I was just wondering if anyone had any idea why this particular Radiohead song wasn't one the Top 3000 Song list, or even on the bubbling around list. Honestly, this is one of my favorite Radiohead songs, if not my favorite and I can't really comprehend why its not o...
Views: 555   Replies: 24
Last Post: Oct 17, 2008 11:55am
by Andre
Forum Poll: The Best Albums and Songs of 1987
The top 3 singles of 1987? La Bamba, Never Gonna Give You Up and I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me). If that's not promising, I don't know what is! Please submit at least 5 songs and/or albums, preferably but not necessarily with ranking, lists without ran...
Views: 2192   Replies: 74
Last Post: Oct 16, 2008 10:18pm
by John
d
Dan M
Favo(u)rite Album Titles
Liars - They Threw Us All in a Trench and Stuck a Monument on Top Belle & Sebastian - Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
Views: 925   Replies: 19
Last Post: Oct 15, 2008 7:54pm
by Moeboid
I Luv the Remix
I've been listening to Salvador Santana Band (SSB) and I luv their stuff. They have more of a Latin swing but I really like it. It’s good stuff to dance to with my friends. They just released a remix album and it’s so cool. SSB remix album that just ca...
Views: 622   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 14, 2008 10:39pm
by Maria Martinez
s
Slush
Am I getting older, or are the musicians?
So, in what I consider a fairly weak year for music, three albums have stood out for me so far: The Hold Steady - Stay Positive Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig! Lazarus! Dig! The Silver Jews - Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea So, the thing is, The Hold Steady'...
Views: 600   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 13, 2008 8:39am
by John
HOA: 1968 eligibles list
Only one week ago, this list looked very different, particularly at the top...there are a lot of new names on the list (and, I might add, we have reached the point—January 1, 1968—where your friendly moderator has now been alive for two whole weeks)....
Views: 459   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 13, 2008 2:50am
by schleuse
HOA: 1967 voting thread
OK, here’s the 1967 Hall of Acclaim election. This’ll be the first election on the new schedule—weekly, rather than bi-weekly. Everything else is the same. Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1966....
Views: 599   Replies: 15
Last Post: Oct 12, 2008 1:26pm
by Honorio
Have you ever?
- not bought an album because you thought you already had it? (i have! dire straits - s/t) - the opposite of above(bought an album because you forgot that you already owned it)? (luckily, i have not) - not bought/bought an album because of the cover? (many times wi...
Views: 636   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 9, 2008 10:42pm
by Amya000
Les Inrockuptibles - 1000 Chansons Indispensables
Great Update Henrik. Well worth the wait. I just wanted to let you know the site lesinrocks.com to see this list. It was first published in a magazine and it is now available on the net. olly
Views: 1245   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 8, 2008 5:28pm
by Henrik
Dragonforce?
What is this forum's opinion on said band?
Views: 517   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 8, 2008 1:25am
by Ze
HOA: 1967 eligibles list
As I said a few days ago, the election cycle is now only one week long. I’m posting the eligibles list here, and voting will begin immediately on the 1967 voting thread. HALL OF ACCLAIM: TOP 50 CANDIDATES FOR 1967 ELECTION Only releases through December...
Views: 614   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 6, 2008 2:39am
by schleuse
j
Jonah
MBV!
Anyone manage to make it to any of the My Bloody Valentine shows? I went to the Chicago one last night! Really amazing!
Views: 691   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 4, 2008 4:37am
by rendler
HOA: 1966 voting thread
A few hours late, but ready to go: the Hall of Acclaim’s 1966 election. Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1965. To see a list of noteworthy candidates, as well as our discussion of them see the 1966 discus...
Views: 730   Replies: 19
Last Post: Oct 3, 2008 7:27pm
by Schwah
p
Paul
What are the 100 best Dylan songs?
Just for fun, I want to make a list. If you send me your top 10 Dylan songs (as recorded by Bob - not covers), I will compile them. 10 points for first down to 1 point for last. Your degree of interest will determine how responsive I am to adding this thing up...
Views: 889   Replies: 21
Last Post: Oct 3, 2008 3:03pm
by Paul
k
Kevin
Pump up music
I would like to know what others listen to before a "Big Game" or event to get pumped up and in the moment. Me? Stooges - Fun House Nirvana - Nevermind Black Sabbath - Paranoid Minutemen - Double Nickles on a dime Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed Sonic Youth...
Views: 551   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 2, 2008 9:22am
by John
Forgive me if this has been addressed, but I'm new here and was wondering if anyone knew when the songs and albums from 2007 will be posted in the top 3000 lists? Thanks
Views: 366   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 11:50pm
by Harold Wexler
HOA plaque: Sam Phillips
Samuel Cornelius “SAM” PHILLIPS Born January 5, 1923, Florence, Alabama, USA Genre: Rock Styles: Rock & Roll, Rockabilly, Memphis Blues ASSOCIATED ACCLAIMED SONGS Johnny Cash, “I Walk the Line” (93) Jerry Lee Lewis, “Whole Lotta...
Views: 401   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 11:31pm
by schleuse
HOA plaque: Elvis Presley
ELVIS Aron PRESLEY "The King" Born January 8, 1935, Tupelo, Mississippi, USA Genre: Rock Styles: Rock & Roll, Rockabilly, Pop, Pop/Rock ACCLAIMED MUSIC AT INDUCTION ALBUMS: Elvis Presley (120); Elvis (410); Loving You (1505); King Creole (1968); For LP Fans O...
Views: 526   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 7:46pm
by Harold Wexler
HOA plaque: Hank Williams
Hiram King “HANK” WILLIAMS “Luke the Drifter” Born September 17, 1923, Georgiana, Alabama, USA Died January 1, 1953, Oak Hill, West Virginia, USA Genre: Country Styles: Traditional Country, Honky Tonk ACCLAIMED MUSIC AT INDUCTION ALBU...
Views: 446   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 4:56pm
by Rune
HoneyHoney
What’s going on?? Has anyone heard HoneyHoney yet? Just heard their music the other day at my internship at UMGD and been jamming to them ever since. I love their stuff! Their album comes out Oct 28th and should be a great one!! If you don’t know who they...
Views: 658   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 29, 2008 11:58pm
by fairychild
r
Rune
The music taste of a 1 year old.
My one year old son loves music. He'll dance to everything, all the time. A month or two ago, he really rocked to some funeral music on television, and he has more than once danced to his own guitar playing. But he has a couple of favorites, which he dances to immedi...
Views: 593   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 29, 2008 5:55pm
by Rune
HOA plaque: Chuck Berry
Charles Edward Anderson “CHUCK” BERRY “The Prime Minister of Rock ‘n’ Roll” Born October 18, 1926, St. Louis, Missouri, USA Genre: Rock Styles: Rock & Roll ACCLAIMED MUSIC AT INDUCTION ALBUMS: After School Session (2077); O...
Views: 443   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 29, 2008 12:35pm
by nicolas
HOA plaque: Buddy Holly
Charles Hardin “BUDDY HOLLY” Holley Born September 7, 1936, Lubbock, Texas, USA Died February 3, 1959, Clear Lake, Iowa, USA Genre: Rock Styles: Pop, Rock & Roll, Rockabilly ACCLAIMED MUSIC AT INDUCTION ALBUMS: The Chirpin’ Crickets (329); B...
Views: 608   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 27, 2008 5:15pm
by schleuse
n
Nat
Rate Your Music lists
Hi. I was wondering: How many of us here at the forum (lurkers included) have lists at rateyourmusic.com? I've seen it brought up, but I've never seen more than a couple people offer their lists. I know that there are some individual lists for the album poll, but tha...
Views: 455   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 27, 2008 10:29am
by Midaso
Right Artist, Wrong Album!
Are there any artists credited on AM whose best work is undervalued in the face of other work? The artist that is inspiring this thread for me is Siouxsie and the Banshees. I recently tracked down The Scream with bated breath, as it is by far their most acclaimed a...
Views: 839   Replies: 13
Last Post: Sep 27, 2008 6:19am
by tim
HOA: 1966 discussion thread
At long last, the discussion thread for the 1966 election. And the top 50 candidates are… HALL OF ACCLAIM: TOP 50 CANDIDATES FOR 1966 ELECTION Only releases through December 31, 1965 included. 1965 releases indicated with an asterisk. 1. THE ROL...
Views: 657   Replies: 15
Last Post: Sep 26, 2008 2:01pm
by schleuse
My new CD's
just gut myself a bunch of CD's david bowie - young americans glen campbell - glen campbell collection cream - disraeli gears mgmt - oracular spectacular miles davis - bitches brew prodigy - fat of the land the specials - s/t talking heads - more songs ab...
Views: 684   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 9:27pm
by Rune
j
JR
Tom Moon's 1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die
http://www.amazon.com/000-Recordings-Hear-Before-You/dp/076113963X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221367781&sr=1-1 Another "Search Inside" feature at the site, which is cool.
Views: 1149   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 3:39pm
by Henrik
s
STEFAN
MEGA-CRITIC-COMPETITION SEPTEMBER : THE CLUES
No clues this month, as the highest new entry is very clear, even if a lot of reviews are still pending. Sorry ´Penguin´, it´s not Okkervil River, and no ´John´, it´s not Metallica. Right guesses came from : ´Bill Adama...
Views: 773   Replies: 14
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 9:25am
by pop elton
s
STEFAN
UPDATE : 31/08/08 : MEGA-CRITIC : Best Reviewed Albums Of 2008 So Far (With Competition)
CLUES TO THIS MONTH´S CLUES : Act 1 : LEILA never leaves her rusty bike for sleeve photos Act 2 : RANDY NEWMAN wrote ´You Can Leave Your Hat On´ Act 3 : CONOR OBERST is the famous Pescetarian THE WINNER : Correct guesses came from : John - P...
Views: 3317   Replies: 36
Last Post: Sep 25, 2008 4:18am
by dystopiandweller
top songs of 2008
what songs do you think will make the Top Songs Of 2008 list, so far?
Views: 986   Replies: 14
Last Post: Sep 24, 2008 11:10am
by SNoringsnorgle
h
Henrik
The Acclaimed Music Artists Poll: The Spreadsheet!
Thanks Moonbeam for sending me the master file. Here's a link for everyone!
Views: 863   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 24, 2008 9:42am
by tim
j
JR
Popular/Successful Acts With Little or No Acclaim
I was curious to see what acts have had big success, but rarely get cited on best-of lists, whether as artists or their songs/albums. A few may be considered like Frank Sinatra. Henrik- would an act like Pat Boone be considered like that? I wouldn't have thought,...
Views: 1026   Replies: 11
Last Post: Sep 24, 2008 4:05am
by JR
Revered artists you don't like
What artists who rank highly on here (say the top 100) get on your nerves? Which ones are you embarrassed to admit that you don't like? Don't be ashamed to admit it here. Here's my list of artists in the top 100 that I don't like (be gentle): The Beatles (r...
Views: 1815   Replies: 44
Last Post: Sep 24, 2008 3:08am
by davidbyrne77
j
John
What are your favorite melodies?
Not so much song, but just melodies. I wouldn't consider My Favorite Things a great song but that melody is amazing.
Views: 441   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 24, 2008 1:58am
by Schwah
j
Jeff
Top 25 Beck Songs List
The Pure Pop list of the 25 best Beck songs doesn't appear with the other lists on their page, and I would really like to know what #1 is since it isn't one of his 5 songs listed in the AM database. Which is surprising, I thought for sure "Loser" or "Where It's At" w...
Views: 1438   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 22, 2008 7:54pm
by Dumbangel
The Acclaimed Music Artists Poll: The Top Ten!
I'm sorry to have left such a long delay with the unveiling of the top 10. Life has a way of getting in the way, you know? In any case, the top ten will be celebrated over the next few days, tops. See Part 3 here! The story so far: 100. LCD Soundsystem 99....
Views: 2067   Replies: 72
Last Post: Sep 22, 2008 5:28pm
by sonofsamiam
Should I bother with these albums...
This year I've been focusing on filling gaps in my 80s and 90s collection, next year will be 60s and 70s. Here are some albums that are borderline for me, I need advice for whether or not to keep them on my list. Meat Puppets - Up In The Sun Arguments for: I...
Views: 941   Replies: 31
Last Post: Sep 22, 2008 4:55am
by JR
All right, which AMers got together for this video?
And more importantly, why wasn't I invited?
Views: 436   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 22, 2008 4:10am
by Harold Wexler
HOA plaques
OK--no more messing around. I plan to put up the first plaque this weekend (Ike permitting). I had been tearing myself up over an appropriate format, but really, I think I'm just gonna put up basic biographic information, styles, and each artist's "top six" AM discog...
Views: 471   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 21, 2008 3:11am
by schleuse
New list - "Le Mag Indie Rock" - 100 artistes, 100 albums : le bouquet final.
Hello, a good (for me) list of 100 albums to the very good (for me) site "Le mag Indie Rock" : (only 99 albums) 1. Radiohead - OK Computer (UK - 1997 2. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (UK - 1986) 3. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (UK - 1989) 4. Pixies...
Views: 711   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 18, 2008 10:39pm
by BillAdama
n
Nat
Top ten soul/r&b albums
I've noticed that on these forums, and those of many other music sites, soul is very unappreciated. When looking at user top ten lists, I see the occasional Stevie Wonder album, and the very rare Marvin Gaye but other than that I hardly ever see any. With that in min...
Views: 686   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 18, 2008 8:33pm
by Greg Rumpff
k
Kevin
Dear Science on ITUNES
I dunno if its a flaw in there system. You cant purchase the album as a whole, but it seems to be allowing me to download each track individually. Those interested should take advantage quikly
Views: 564   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 18, 2008 7:25pm
by John
j
John
A.M. Music Club
So what do you guys think about having a music club where we choose one album a week to listen to and discuss? We can decide on the album one day and have the rest of the week to listen to it and discuss. Good idea?
Views: 833   Replies: 18
Last Post: Sep 18, 2008 5:46pm
by Greg Rumpff
Tom waits - sea of love
has anyone heard this? i've never been a fan of tom waits, but my dad just showed me that song and it's fantastic! i'm feeling motivated to check out some of his other stuff now. maybe i will finally start to appreciate his music now.
Views: 582   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 18, 2008 10:42am
by Moeboid
Ike dispatch and an apology
Just a heads-up, everyone: the 1966 discussion thread may or may not go up tonight. If not, it'll be tomorrow morning. Why? Most of you already know this, but: I live in Houston. As you may have heard, this past Saturday, we had a spot of rain. Also a spot of 100-...
Views: 583   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 17, 2008 10:35am
by Honorio
HOA: 1965 voting thread
Welcome to the Hall of Acclaim’s 1965 election. (As a matter of curiosity, has anyone on this forum actually been born as of 1/1/65?) Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1964. To see a list of noteworthy can...
Views: 800   Replies: 15
Last Post: Sep 15, 2008 5:58pm
by Harold Wexler
j
JR
Sunday Times: Top 10 Madonna
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2101-2551386,00.html Don't know if this would be included here at AM, but here ya go. Brava for "Cherish" appearing on what may be its first list! I think it's somewhat "forgotten" because it wasn't a first or second single....
Views: 2411   Replies: 14
Last Post: Sep 14, 2008 3:26pm
by JR
j
JR
Amazon.Com Essentials By Year
I don't see these on the amazon sitre any longer. It now has a feature on 12 Essential Artists You Should Know and 12 Essential Artists You Should Hear. I had saved the info for the Essential Albums, Year By Year, from 1961-1998. So, Henrik, if that info can't be...
Views: 677   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 14, 2008 6:38am
by JR
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61