Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Miles Davis

I Can't think of a truely more singular talent that has has ever existed in music. From the clasical stylings of Mozart, to the mind bending furiousity of Jimi Hendrix's Guitar. I come to the conclusion that Miles Davis is the most talented man in the History of music. sure there have been many great talents over the years, but none as consistantly important and groundbreaking as Miles davis. We are still feeling the effects of his music like it was made yesterday. Miles has been the main force behind acclaimed masterpieces like (Kind Of Blue, bitches Brew, In A silent way, Sketches of Spain, bitrth of cool, and many many more) Miles managed to tranform the trumpet into a weapon of mass construction. His style and inventivness has inspired many of today's greatest acts to not settle for just standard recordings, but rather to push the envelope as far as it can go and a little further.

Would you like to share your Opinion on who you might consider the greatest singular talent in music?

Re: Miles Davis

Please, Jazz music is only a small part of the music world. There were a whole slew of musicians in pop music and rock music doing things he never did or before him. You think he was the only musician. Miles did not popularize experimentation in pop music or the album as an art-form. They were more innovative people than him.

I gotta go with J.S. Bach.

I'm gunna ignore modernrocker just on the basis that his name suggests a strong bias for well....MODERN ROCK. As my father would say "Kid....Do you have a fork in your head, or are you just plain brain strained."

To be frank, I'm not really intersted by that 3000 dollars question. I don't think there is ONE greatest talent in music. But your question is interesting because it made me realize that;

I have to admit that there aren't many artists who were as diverse as Miles. But, I agree with Nicolas.

OK...Maybe standout greatest is a strech. My purpose was to draw attention other great singular talents that you believe should be recognized for there work.

Nick Drake
Joanna Newsom
etc...

I could never give as much credit to Miles Davis because I see him more like a talent scout that ends up taking too much credit for what other really great artists ended up doing. He's like a pimp.

I could never give as much credit to Miles Davis because I see him more like a talent scout that ends up taking too much credit for what other really great artists ended up doing. He's like a pimp.

I've seen statements like this before, and it belies a misunderstanding of both Miles' role in music and what jazz was all about in the first place. Artists were always reinterpreting, working together, etc. There is no exact corollary to rock that way.

Miles was always at the forefront of what the next new thing was, or even was going to become, in jazz. Yes, he had an amazing eye for great talent, but he also assembled and led those groups. He was also a fairly decent writer, arranger, and player, I must say.

Miles is the best in my opinion. Just brew. Its still ahead of its time. It maybe be the greatest record ever. Its mind blowing, and there absolutely 100% NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT.