Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Under Appreciated Albums Of The Decade

We have had top 10 of the deacde lists, But how about those of which you consider to be great, but seldom get the critical word they deserve.

The albums Im about to list are obviously not on the short at of the bad reviews stick. However I do believe these album deserve a much higher ranking, at least on this site.

Tom Waits - Alice
Joanna Newsom - Milk eyed mender
Solomon Burke - Dont give up on me
Grizzly Bear - Yellow House
PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her
My Morning Jacket - At Dawn....lol...Its not eben on this site. CRAZY (It might be there best)
Devandra banhart - Crippled Crow

Re: Under Appreciated Albums Of The Decade

Jeff Black - Tin Lily
Jeff Black - Honey and Salt
Patty Griffin - 1000 Kisses
John Hiatt - Crossing Muddy Waters
John Hiatt - The Tiki Bar Is Open
Mark Knopfler - The Ragpicker's Dream
Steve Skaith Band - Mexile
James Taylor - October Road
Suzanne Vega - Songs in Red and Gray

This is a great, great topic. I'm always discovering music that I should have gotten to sooner, but it wasn't given due recognition.

Phantom Power - Super Furry Animals
Amnesiac - Radiohead (glad to see it's gaining some credit though)
You Are The Quarry - Morrissey
Silent Shout - The Knife
Everything Ecstatic - Four Tet
Blueberry Boat - Fiery Furnaces
Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ears To The Ground - Bright Eyes
Drum's Not Dead - The Liars
The Grey Album - Danger Mouse
Echoes - The Rapture
Sky Blue Sky - Wilco

Lifted is one of those albums that is obviously the peak of an artist but like so many other college rock/indie artists the peak album only brings momentum to their mainstream success which is realized with lesser albums.... and those are the albums that will always be considered their masterpieces. But, we know better right?

Very much so. No other Bright Eyes album since has given me the same feeling as Lifted.

The same has also happened with Modest Mouse and Death Cab, of course.

Yep, those are another two. Photo Album and Moon and Antartica their obvious peaks but recognized by later output.

I want to say, I'm not saying that everyone has to agree that those are the artists peaks... music is subjective. But, I still stand by the rule!

John, I think your theory applies to The Shins as well. Their best album - so far and according to me, of course - 'Oh, Inverted World' was followed by lesser, but more publicly known albums.

haha, personally I believe Death Cab's best was one even earlier than Photo Album, We Have the Facts And We're Voting Yes.

Death Cab's early career has been one of the most underappreciated even in hindsight. At least The Moon And Antarctica, Lifted, and Oh Inverted World have been recognized enough by the critics to make it onto this site. But neither Photo Album nor We Have The Facts are in the top 3000. They aren't even bubbling under. Meanwhile, Plans made it.

We Have the Facts was good! But, I think they really hit their peak on Photo Album. But, they are definitely the ones that should be recognized as the best.

The Shins are another one, absolutely.

Patty Griffin - Children Running Through
White Stripes - De Stijl

Takk- Sigur Ros
Us- Mull Historical Society
Split the Difference- Gomez
Life on Other Planets- Supergrass
o- Tilly and the Wall
Everything Wrong is Imaginary- Lilys
Weightlifting- Trashcan Sinatras
Last Broadcast- Doves
the Young Machines- Her Space Holiday
New Magnetic Wonder- Apples in Stereo
s/t-Dressy Bessy (these two bands always get passed up for Neutral Milk Hotel)
the Life Pursuit- Belle and Sebastian
Good News For People Who Love Bad News- Modest Mouse
One Beat- Sleater Kinney
Welcome Interstate Managers- Fountains of Wayne
Sleeping with Ghosts- Placebo
23- Blonde Redhead
Do You Like Rock Music?- British Sea Power
Neptune- Duke Spirit
Witching Hour- Ladytron
s/t- Rooney
Finally Woken- Jem
LIZ PHAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BY LIZ PHAIR!!!!!!!!!!
Someone To Drive You Home- the Long Blondes
Through the Windowpane- the Guillemots
Faded Seaside Glamour- Delays
Anything Camera Obscura has even released
Setlist- the Frames
We Are the Pipettes- the Pipettes

Sleater-Kinney - One Beat
Drive-By Truckers - Decoration Day
Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous

I seriously don't understand how One Beat is not considered one of the greatest of this decade and how the Woods is considered their best.

both are awesome records and show them peaking at the end of their career which is beyond rare for any band.

"Ghosts of the Great Highway" by Sun Kil Moon. That album is nearly perfect. I've listened to that more than any other record this decade.

Creature Funk by Puppetmastaz, for me the 2nd best hip-hop album of the decade

"Ghosts Of The Great Highway" is another one that I don't understand how isn't on this site. You'd think with all the critical acclaim it got when it first came out, it would have at least made it onto enough EOY lists to be in the top 3000.

Some of these albums are underrated on the AM poll, but I've seen pretty high acclaim for them elsewhere.

Like, One Beat and Decoration Day were both in the top ten on the Pazz N Jop poll.

That does remind me though. Southern Rock Opera I think is their third best album, and isn't anywhere on the poll. A lot of the underrated stuff this decade is country, folk, and anything with a southern drawl. Folk is the only one of these accepted by the hip community and even that has to be really eccentric to.

I came into this topic just to say "Excuses For Travellers" by Mojave 3. Now that's a band that's chronically under appreciated.

Some more:

Thought For Food - The Books
Glam - Mouse On Mars
Idiology - Mouse On Mars
Apologies To The Queen Mary - Wolf Parade
Vocalcity - Luomo
Circulatory System - Circulatory System
Internal Wrangler - Clinic
Dongs Of Sevotion - Smog
Quality - Talib Kweli

Also, this year, I don't think No Age's Nouns is getting enough praise. It deserves to be in the top 10 best of the year.

Joanna Newson - Ys

not high enough!!!

Yeah, Ys is great. I wouldn't say underappreciated by the critics (it's in the top 200 ), but certainly by the mainstream.

Speaking of experimental female artists, I've always thought Bjork's Medulla gets the short end of the stick. To these ears, it's better than Vespertine, Post, and Debut.

i dont think YS an album that's #2 would be considered underappreciated. In fact it would easily top my most overrated albums of the last 8 years. If it's in the top 5 it got plenty of hype. Nothing by Radiohead is underappreciated unless you count their debut. They'll always be acclaimed even if some of their stuff is more acclaimed than other. There's so many bubblers and albums that didn't make the list that are just as deserving as Radiohead and DEFINITELY more deserving than YS, the indiesnobs ultimate record. There's some albums that deserve to be hits an Kate Bush and Bjork have put out plenty. To have YS ahead of Hounds of Love is an absolute abomination.

I'm also a huge fan of In Case We Die by Architecture in Helsinki, this album makes me smile whenever I hear it.

I don't get Ys. At all. I don't enjoy her voice and the music just doesn't appeal to me. I agree with Tim that it's pretty overrated, but I don't really hate it.

Hounds Of Love is the better record, no doubt about it (for me). But Ys is still wonderful. It's also very controversial, and I'm not even gonna try to argue the issue. So many people say it's overrated, that it almost makes it underrated for the people who love it.

I love Ys, but I also completely understand not liking it. Rambling vocab word packed stream of consciousness folky weirdness with isn't for everyone.

It bothers me though when she gets accused of pretentiousness. I don't care if you use big words or small words, Ys' lyrics flow off the tongue beautifully, both poetically and conceptually.