Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Street Spirit (Fade Out)

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea why this particular Radiohead song wasn't one the Top 3000 Song list, or even on the bubbling around list. Honestly, this is one of my favorite Radiohead songs, if not my favorite and I can't really comprehend why its not one either lists. Thanks

Re: Street Spirit (Fade Out)

hey, it's my gf's fav radiohead song too. it probably should be in the top 3000; i think it's a good song and most people like it more than i do. oh well, i'm not TOO surprised that it's not there.

It's my least favourite off the Bends...

It's not on the list for the very simple reason that it hasn't been mentioned on enough "best song" lists to merit inclusion. It is a great song, but when critics are filling slots on their lists with Radiohead songs, it's probably not one of the more likely ones to appear.

Easily the best song from The Bends. However, it was the last single release from the album, in 1996, and for the 1996 EOY critics lists The Bends was long gone. I'm surprised though that the song hasn't turned up in more all-time lists.

Henrik's right -- it obliterates everything else on the Bends (and I even think the album's great). An amazing Jonathan Glazer video too.

Edge339... good point. It should be listed on this site in place of "Lucky".

I Rarely turn to the 3000 song list for guidence. Radiohead is my favourite band by a landslide. Every song in there cataloge, with the except of pablo honey, would be in my top 3000

I think I'm the only Radiohead fan who actually likes Pablo Honey. BTW I do like this song,but it's just I like the other songs on The Bends a little better...

It's so funny how we agree and disagree with each other. Like when I read Anthony's post above.

Henrik's right -- it obliterates everything else on the Bends (and I even think the album's great). An amazing Jonathan Glazer video too.

Yeeeessss!!!

Edge339... good point. It should be listed on this site in place of "Lucky".

Noooooooo!!! The only Radiohead song I love more than Street Spirit is Lucky...

Yeah, Street Spirit is my fav Radiohead song, and The Bends is probably only my fourth favorite Radiohead album (behind OK, Kid, & Rainbows).

It's a very beautiful song indeed. There are at least 2900 songs from the AM 3000 that I would care less about

Best song of The Bends? Not according to my top 200 songs, submitted earlier this year. There Fake Plastic Trees was just a bit higher on the list. Hmmm, how did that happen? Well, shows that these polls really are snapshots and highly dependent on the time and mood you're in.

Midaso... I'm with you. I'm sorry people, but aside from the more cryptic lyrics, "Street Spirit" is a dead ringer for a 70's Kansas ballad. (Hee, hee. flame war starts in 3... 2... 1...)

As for videos off of the Bends, I much prefer Jamie Thraves' "Just" (you know, the one with the guy lying in the middle of the sidewalk) and also like Paul Cunningham's "High and Dry" better.

And I second Anthony and Henrik: The video is very beautiful too, a classic piece of art work.

That's probably the biggest compliment I've ever seen anyone give Kansas.

Schwah, our posts just came in parallel. Haven't seen those 2 videos, so you made me curious.

I should be a little more serious about what is a clearly beloved song. Street Spirit is pretty, almost beautiful. But it doesn't move or build. It just lays there for me.

Compared to my favorite track on The Bends, "Fake Plastic Trees," it's static. "FPT" starts beutiful, and then has that incredible build, reaches a majestic end, then pulls the rug back out for a gentle, hesitant, even more touching denouement.

As for the videos, I can see how some may take "High and Dry" to be a bad "Pulp Fiction" homage. But "Just" is undeniably great, one of the top 10 videos of all time (helped by the fact that the song rocks).

I didnt say I disliked pablo honey. Theres some song that I just dont not like. There are a few I would enter into my 3000 as well. especially Creep, but thats obvious

I agree Schwah, Street Spirit doesn't even touch Fake Plastic Trees. I would say almost everything on OK Computer and Kid A are better than Street Spirit as well. Not that it's a bad song, it just isn't near the top.

Speaking of Radiohead, has anybody picked up the OK Computer vinyl reissue? It used to be you could only find the import for over 100 dollars but now you can get it for 25. That's still too pricey for me right now, I'll probably ask for it for Christmas.

John, I've had my OK Computer vinyl since around '02. I was working at HMV at the time and I saw it in the system for $25 or something, so I ordered it.

What's HMV?

a ... cough... Commonwealth related Virgo Reccad Megastow or so ... no branches in Germany, too... , but the summer of 1994 was fruit and london to me (bought about 20 partly unknown cd singles that day and they all were tremendous..)

no MORE branches, I should've said...

His Master's Voice? More on Wikipedia

Or maybe Anthony meant the retailer HMV Group plc?