Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Have you ever?

- not bought an album because you thought you already had it? (i have! dire straits - s/t)
- the opposite of above(bought an album because you forgot that you already owned it)? (luckily, i have not)
- not bought/bought an album because of the cover? (many times with compilations. i check on the internet to see whether there's another one with a better cover. sometimes there is!)
- not bought an album because is was/was not remastered? (king crimson - in the court of the crimson king. i wanted that remastered)
- bought an album by an artist that you do not like because you feel like you should have it? (i will, when i finally buy some led zep)
- bought a second copy of an album because you lost the sleve? (i was considering with metallica's black album, but it turned up a few months later)
- bought a second copy of an album because it was scratched? (that nirvana compilation with you know you're right on it is scratched to the point where most tracks don't play, but you know you're right still plays and i have all of the other tracks on other CD's. i'm not sure whether i will buy another copy)
- bought a remastered version or a version of an album that you already owned? (i'm too young to have bought anything other than remasters for albums that have been remastered)

Re: Have you ever?

- not bought an album because you thought you already had it?

More often than I'd like to admit! I have an Excel file of everything that I have, and another of everything I want so that I can limit this!

- the opposite of above(bought an album because you forgot that you already owned it)? (luckily, i have not)

Nope.

- not bought/bought an album because of the cover? (many times with compilations. i check on the internet to see whether there's another one with a better cover. sometimes there is!)

I almost didn't buy this because of the cover, but I couldn't resist! It did make me feel dirty and trashy when I bought it, but maybe I'm a dirty and trashy guy!

- not bought an album because is was/was not remastered? (king crimson - in the court of the crimson king. i wanted that remastered)

All the time! I like to get remastered albums where possible.

- bought an album by an artist that you do not like because you feel like you should have it? (i will, when i finally buy some led zep)

I'm not a glutton for punishment! I have bought albums by artists that I didn't really know, so there have been some risky purchases!

- bought a second copy of an album because you lost the sleve? (i was considering with metallica's black album, but it turned up a few months later)

Haven't done this.

- bought a second copy of an album because it was scratched? (that nirvana compilation with you know you're right on it is scratched to the point where most tracks don't play, but you know you're right still plays and i have all of the other tracks on other CD's. i'm not sure whether i will buy another copy)

I have done this- a LOT. I've bought Prince's 1999 about 8 times because I keep wearing my copies out!

- bought a remastered version or a version of an album that you already owned? (i'm too young to have bought anything other than remasters for albums that have been remastered)

Absolutely! Upgrade it, baby!

I'm not familiar with that artist, Moonbeam, but it's not hard to imagine that the cover is the ONLY reason to buy it.

Rocky, Dannii Minogue is Kylie's little sis. Her 2003 album Neon Nights is actually an amazing piece of electro-pop. Unfortunately, the rest of her career is an embarrassment to the Minogue name! However, I keep holding out hope that she'll release something good again...

I've purchased "Pet sounds" twice :
- the first time was the 1990 reedition in mono with the 3 bonus tracks
- the second time was the 2001 reedition that contains both mono and stereo version (the stereo version was a real revelation for me !)

I've purchased 2 others albums that I already owned but didn't remember that I owned them :
- "A Christmas gift for you" of Phil Spector
- "Copperopolis" of Grant Lee Buffalo

I bought this album just for the magnificently homoerotic cover.

(Hope the picture is showing)

That was quite small. I'll try again:

Manage the Damage

If it still is wrong, I'll leave it with that.

One time I bought an album at a store forgetting I had ordered it on Amazon.

Pretty much every U2 album I own.

Nevermind and OK Computer

Not yet, but my friend tells me Fun House is a huge improvement on the remaster.

A couple of times I've bought CDs of stuff I already had on vinyl, because I'd like to be able to listen to them at the office. Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks, Steve Wynn's Kerosene Man would be cases in point.

While living abroad for a while without my vinyl collection, I also rebought a few things like Warren Zevon' Sentimental Hygiene and a few Dylan disks.

And the recent reissues of Zevon albums with extra tracks of course were bought the second I learned of their existence. On "Stand in the Fire", the extras were definitely worth the entire price of the new CD, on "Excitable Boy" they're pretty missable.

i have bought an album that i already on cassette tape