Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HOA: 1970 voting thread

Sailing into a new decade...it's the 1970 HOA election.

Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1968.

When considering your vote, you may want to check out the top 50 eligible candidates. For a reminder of who’s already been inducted, see the results thread.

For your ballot to be eligible, you must submit a ranked list of your ten most deserving artists.

***IMPORTANT!***
Also, for your top FIVE artists (at least), you must explain why they deserve to be in the HOA. You may recycle your comments from past elections if you wish, but I want us to have a context for WHY we're selecting these artists. Ballots without comments for the top five will NOT be counted!

In addition, you may nominate up to three people for the Backstage Wing. This is optional; your ballot will still be eligible even if you don’t vote for Backstage candidates.

Deadline for ballots is Sunday, November 2.

Voting is now open.

Re: HOA: 1970 voting thread

1. The Band - 2 for 2 in absolute classic albums.

2. Merle Haggard - 1 of the 2 best country signer/songwriters of all time. You know the other.

3. George Jones - The consummate country artist is not getting much love here. A notorious drinker, he once travelled to the town bar on a riding lawn mower to circumvent his wife's efforts to keep him away by hiding the car keys. Now that's country.

4. Marvin Gaye - My favorite Motown artist. Amazing voice.

5. The Temptations - Sunsine, blue skies, please go away. My girl has found another and gone away. With her went my future. My life is filled with gloom. So day after day I stay locked up in my room. I know to you, it might sound strange...

6. Woody Guthrie

7. Leadbelly

8. Charlie Parker

9. Patsy Cline

10. CCR

1. Jacques Brel : Klauw and Honorio (and all the others), I think we can do it !

2. Creedence Clearwater Revival : no band has cut so many great albums and singles in one year ! One of my favorite bands ever.

3. Georges Brassens : les copains d'abord !

4. Led Zeppelin : Same as CCR. 2 outstanding records in 1969. The beginning of hard rock.

5. Leadbelly : he was the one who made the 12 string guitar popular

6. Doc Watson : a virtuoso of acoustic guitar, a great country/folk/bluegrass artist. I never tire of his 66-67 albums
7. Blind Gary Davis
8. Neil Young
9. Woody Guthrie
10.Django Reinhardt

1. Leonard Cohen
2. The Band
3. Merle Haggard
4. George Jones
5. Van Morrison - Astral Weeks is just, like, one of the greatest

6. Neil Young
7. Creedence Clearwater Revival
8. Woody Guthrie
9. The Flying Burrito Brothers
10. Dusty Springfield

Backstage

1. Bacharach & David
2. Alan Lomax
3. Hoagy Carmichael

1. Jacques Brel - I know nicolas. Let's make 1970 his year!

2. Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - The genius of comedy rock. Make that rock in general. He shows you can be experimental and innovative without losing your sense of humour.

3. Led Zeppelin - Why wait? We already have II, and Whole Lotta Love, one of the dirtiest bluesrock songs I know. Oh, and speaking of "Whole Lotta Love", where is the love for Willie Dixon?

4. The Band - Quite possibly the simplest bandname ever. But they can get away with it. Their first two albums are masterpieces, "The Weight" an instant classic.

5. Van Morrison - Astral Weeks combines almost every important genre of the 20th century, blues, folk, jazz, rock, soul, even classical music. And it absolutely works.

6. Charlie Parker
7. Marvin Gaye
8. Neil Young
9. Leadbelly
10. The Doors

Backstage Wing
1. Willie Dixon
2. George Gershwin
3. John Hammond

backstage

1. Willie Dixon : one of Led Zeppelin's songwriters
2. Alan Lomax
3. Art Rupe

1 - Jacques Brel : If I had not forgotten to vote two weeks in a row, he would already have been inducted.

2 – Nick Drake : Five Leaves Left is one of the finest albums ever, just perfectly crafted… Largely enough to justify induction.

3 - Bobby Lapointe
In 1970 almost all his songs has been released, even my favourite one “Sentimental Bourreau”, making a very witty discography.

4 – The Stooges : Ugly, Filthy, Sexy, Dazed and Confused, they already created classics and one of the greatest rock icon !

5 – Sly and the Family Stone : Different strokes for different folks, Sly knew how to mix black and white music, fun and protest… and honestly, who can resist to Dance to the Music ?

6 – MC5
7 – The Sonics
8 – Marvin Gaye
9 – King Crimson
10 - CCR

Forgot the Zombies ! Make them 6th and drop every other one place please !

Lonesome Panda ! Tu arrives à point nommé !

1. SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE. A perfect funk band for a brief shining moment. Sly has to be close to Beatles/Dylan/Stones/Hendrix territory for the sheer number of later artists who sound like him.

2. THE BAND. Close to #1 this year; I’m kind of surprised they didn’t receive more support last year, but that situation’s been rectified.

3. VAN MORRISON. In a holding pattern until Moondance comes out.

4. MERLE HAGGARD. Johnny Cash sang to prisoners? This guy WAS one…

5. FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION. I drank the Zappa Kool-Aid during Survivor. The best album of his that I’ve heard, Hot Rats, now counts in the standings, so I’m happy putting him here.

6. THE FLYING BURRITO BROTHERS
7. CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL
8. WILSON PICKETT. Come on...anyone?
9. THE STOOGES. Soon, Iggy. Soon.
10. JEFFERSON AIRPLANE

Backstage wing:

1. JANN WENNER. It’s time; whatever RS became later, it was da capo of rock journalism in its day.
2. PETER MAX
3. ANDY WARHOL

01. LEONARD COHEN: poetry. The connection between literature and pop music that Dylan ignited is reaching even higher heights with Leonard Cohen. He has irrupted into the folk scene as a rara avis, a thirty-something established writer and brilliant poet without previous music experience. But his deeply poetic songs had gained a devoted following in sensitive college students (one can imagine them listening religiously to him in the darkness of their bedrooms). With Dylan hiding in his Woodstock farm, the inquisitive young people have someone to idolize.
My favourite album: Songs of Leonard Cohen (196 .
My Top 5 Songs: Suzanne (196 , So Long Marianne (196 , Bird on a Wire (1969), The Partisan (1969), Stranger Song (196 .

02. THE BAND: during the colourful hippie times we’re living, there are these five hirsute men with that sullen look photographed on the album cover in black and white, reminiscing the Old Dixie and taking back the rural roots of the best American music.
My favourite album: The Band (1969).
My Top 3 Songs: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (1969), The Weight (196 , I Shall Be Released (196 .

03. JACQUES BREL: il semble que, enfin, il arrive.

04. FRANK ZAPPA/THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION: freak out! Frank Zappa seems able to deconstruct every music genre he tries, from blues-rock to jazz-rock, from doo-wop to contemporary classical. And he seems able too to satirize everyone and everything, especially the plastic people.
My favourite album: Hot Rats (1969).
My Top 3 Songs: Peaches en Regalia (1969), Trouble Comin’ Every Day (1966), Willie the Pimp (1969).

05. THE ZOMBIES: 1969 has seen a posthumous #1 with “Time of the Season”.

06. THE DOORS.
07. SLY & THE FAMILY STONE.
08. CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL.
09. LED ZEPPELIN.
10. THE SUPREMES.

And at the backstage:
01. BURT BACHARACH & HAL DAVID.
02. JOHN HAMMOND: just a quick look to some artists discovered by him is enough to induct him: Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Big Joe Turner, Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen. No less. Favourite song: BOB DYLAN The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll (1964).
03. ANDY WARHOL.

1. The Monkees- How are the Monkees not on that top 50 list? More of the Monkees and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones came out in '67 (Headquarters as well, but that's not as great as those two). The only thing essential that's missing is Valleri. EDIT: And now Head is out too. It would be a shame if they don't make it in.

2. The Zombies- One of the greatest albums ever and a few other singles should put them in right now... I'm sure they'll get in later if not now.

3. Pink Floyd- The only album needed to get them in has been released. There's some good stuff on Saucerful of Secrets too and add in those early singles. This is the band that deserves to be enshrined.

4. Creedence- I never realized how much they were able to put out in one year. I knew it was over a short period of time, but that's amazing.

5. Herman's Hermits- One of my favorite singles bands from the 60's. Pick up a greatest hits and you'll realize how good of a pop band they really were especially if you're an early-mid years Beatles fan.

6. Neil Diamond

7. Sly and the Family Stone
8. Donovan
9. The Hollies
10. The Supremes

Reminders for later years: Harry Nilsson, Art Blakey, Nico, Cream, The Doors, Phil Ochs, The Turtles, The Stooges, Led Zeppelin, Nick Drake, Lovin Spoonful

Backstage:

1. Bill Graham
2. D.A. Pennebaker

I just realized I've been forgetting about The Bee Gees. Could you swap them into the 10 spot and remove the Supremes?

What to do about Gram Parsons???

He had a really nice, though unheard country-rock album with the International Submarine Band.

He joined The Byrds for one album, which was fairly revolutionary and is generally regarded as their best work.

He was the driving force of the Flying Burrito Brothers for their two great albums. Should have received a vote from me this year, but I screwed up.

And he released two solid solo albums. Not yet up for consideration.

If you consider his contribution to music, he deserves to be included in the AM Hall. His compositions from Hickory Wind to Sin City to Return of the Grievous Angel (and many more) are excellent, especially for a drunk who died at 27.

On top of that, he was one of the two major figures in the creation of country rock. Not that the genre ever really went anywhere, but it was pretty darn good when played by Gram Parsons.

When the time comes, I'm voting for him as "Gram Parsons," but I'm including his work in all the other bands as part of the reason.

1. Sly and the Family Stone – It was, as their debut album put it, A Whole New Thing: a completely integrated (by race and gender) band making just about the most joyful noise anyone had ever heard. Then suddenly the joy was gone, but the music just got richer and deeper.
2. Creedence Clearwater Revival – They were such a consistently amazing singles band that it’s easy to overlook how brilliant their albums are.
3. The Band – They made nearly all their most lasting music within the first two years of their official existence, but it’s so extraordinary that I doubt anyone could reasonably argue that they don’t belong here.
4. Led Zeppelin – Even if they had only recorded their first two albums, they’d merit induction. Probably the single most influential band, for good and ill, of the last 40 years.
5. Van Morrison – I’ve always been more of a MOONDANCE guy than an ASTRAL WEEKS one, but we all know he’s going in so why wait?
6. Bill Evans
7. The Supremes
8. Ornette Coleman
9. Sonny Rollins
10. Cream

BACKSTAGE WING
1. Lester Bangs
2. Rudy Van Gelder
3. George Gershwin

good call on Sly & FS, I forgot about them !

1. Sly and the Family Stone -- What an incredible year! Stand!, and the singles from this year, are as much fun as you can have without having actual sex. Love Larry Graham's slap bass. "Thank You (Falettime Be Mice Elf Again)" should be higher than #290 all-time. It's a top-100 for sure.

2. Django Reinhardt - Is it time for me to give up on him again? :(

3. The Impressions -- Let's not forget how deeply, stirringly souful their mid-60's work was.

4. Charlie Parker - His innovations on sax made him an icon, no less than Jimi on electric guitar.

5. The Band -- While I do like those two Buffalo Springfield albums, they do not hold a candle to the Band's first two. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" should be higher than #717 all-time. It's a top-100 for sure.

6. The Supremes -- A monster singles collection.

7. Stevie Wonder -- Every year, he keeps releaseing another one or two classic singles. The only reason he's not on the list of top artists at this point is becasue his sixties stuff doesn't get love in the critics lists in favor of his mind-blowing seventies work. He's worthy of a vote now, though.

8. CCR - Only Sylvester Stewart kept John Fogerty from being the artist of the year. in '69.

9. The Temptations

10. Patsy Cline

No Zeppelin yet. No Doors, Zappa, and probably Van the Man ever. Cream is a bubbler, but probably will never break through. Still miss Dinah Washington, the Shangri-Las, the Platters.