Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barack Obama

I know that a lot of people here are American, so I thought I'd bring this up, even if it isn't a politics board.

I was reading one of the "Rolling Stone" interviews with him, and it just seems like Obama would be the exact type of person that would visit AM. He just seems like he'd fit in, liking Stevie Wonder, The Stones, Miles Davis, Coltrane, and even some indie like The National.

I don't really know what I'm getting at, but I'm curious to see where this discussion leads. It seems like many of the former presidents would be at home here like Clinton (Miles Davis, Coltrane) and George W. Bush (Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell).

Re: Barack Obama

Paul is just a pseudonym. I'm really the President elect. The transition is going smoothly, but there are many challenges facing us.

I don't know, I think Clinton would be dismissing all the contemporary rock bands for the supremacy of jazz. Bush might fit in with the classic rock discussion, but I think he'd have trouble with the politics of some of the newer music.

Like, he'd have a kneejerk reaction to songs like Ashes of American Flags, Fake Empire, and so on calling them unpatriotic and such. Not to mention anything off Sleater-Kinney's last two albums or any pro-gay song.

Barack Obama strikes me as a relentlessly rational type. He might fit in with the musical conversation, but I have a feeling he'd see web surfing as a frivelous use of time.

I can't picture many politicians REALLY being into music. It's quite an unproductive enterprise if you are trying to get ahead.

I've been into music a lot more in the last two years and my career has been suffering for approximately the same period of time. (Not sure of the causal relationship, if any).

And, heck, college was pretty much a disaster on the academic front, but a wonderful musical journey.

Think about all the people you know/knew in school. Were the music-obsessed people the most productive? I doubt it.

It's like that question from High Fidelity:

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

Just thought I'd point out that the band THE NATIONAL actually has Barrack obabma T- Shirts callled MR. NOVEMBER

Depends how you define 'into' music.

I think the kinds of people who become heads of state and industry are the ones who spend every waking moment on career and ambition so the rest of us can live our own lives with blood pressure levels somewhere under 300.

So while they may not have time or inclination to post on message board forums and basque in every great new release shortly after it comes out, I still doubt they don't find music just as stimulating and relaxing as the rest of us do.

As of January 21, maybe we could see George W Bush posting on web forums. At least for a few years he'll need all the anonymity he can get.

Obama likes The National?

I think that's an interesting point about how politicians never have time for music. Personally, I've really gotten behind on my music knowhow this year thanks to being in school again. Maybe I never realized how not busy I was as an undergrad when I was imersed in it, but really, music is a full time hobby if you're going to put everyone else to shame with your knowledge.

But, back to Obama: his favorite show is The Wire which makes me think he just has excellent taste in media all around. BTW, anyone coming to DC for the inauguration?