Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HOA: 1967 voting thread

OK, here’s the 1967 Hall of Acclaim election. This’ll be the first election on the new schedule—weekly, rather than bi-weekly.

Everything else is the same. Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1966.

When considering your vote, you may want to check out the top 50 eligible candidates. For a reminder of who’s already been inducted, see the results thread.

For your ballot to be eligible, you must submit a ranked list of your ten most deserving artists.

***IMPORTANT!***
Also, for your top FIVE artists (at least), you must explain why they deserve to be in the HOA. You may recycle your comments from past elections if you wish, but I want us to have a context for WHY we're selecting these artists. Ballots without comments for the top five will NOT be counted!

In addition, you may nominate up to three people for the Backstage Wing. This is optional; your ballot will still be eligible even if you don’t vote for Backstage candidates.

Deadline for ballots is Sunday, October 12.

Voting is now open.

Re: HOA: 1967 voting thread

Here is my first vote on the HOA, I won't be very implicated in it before, let's say, 1990 I guess, but I have to vote for a band everybody, even lots of critics, forgot.

1 - the Rolling Stones : sure, they will do better than that, but Aftermath is release and is a great album + Satisfaction, even if overrated, is a landmark guitar riff

2 - the Sonics : where the garage rock comes from, their 2 albums are just great and tons of band have tried to create their own "Psycho" for 40 years... and most failed

3 - Jacques Brel : the greatest french singer ever. In the beginning of 1967 some of its finest songs are already release, such as Amsterdam or Ces Gens-là. It is not only that the music is beautiful and the lyrics the best ever in French music, it's even more the way he performed them in live. Almost every French singer since then covered some of its song and did in the best case a great cover (like, for instance, Noir Désir) but far less impressive than the original or in the worst case total screw up (so let's burn Florent Pagny).

4 - The Supremes
You can tell me it is their producers who did all the work, but I just love those singles !

5 - The Who
Released the anthem of the decade... but I'm sure they can do better

1. Thelonious Monk - The greatest jazzman not yet enshrined. Deserving for his compositions alone but even more so because of his unorthodox style.

2. Bill Monroe - The man invented the music we now call bluegrass.

3. George Jones - The best voice in country music. Took the next step after Hank in the development of the genre.

4. Otis Redding - The man had soul.

5. The Who - Great start for a rock band. Great musicians at guitar, bass, and drums. Mod target logo really cool.

6. The Temptations - An underrated Motown act. Ain't Too Proud To Beg is a killer track, but it's far from being the only one.

7. Patsy Cline - The leading lady of C&W.

8. Woody Guthrie - I'm seein' your world of people and things, your paupers and peasants and princes and kings.

9. Jimmie Rodgers - If he was the last blue yodeler, who was the first?

10. Howlin' Wolf - This could be the last time. Maybe the last time? I don't know.

Sorry, I don't have much time this week (and apparently I'm not the only one, Stephan is buried under his books and moving boxes)

1.Jacques Brel : With Lonesome Panda's vote, he's got chances. And he deserves it, especially for the 30th anniversary of his death.

2.Eddie Cochran : same as last week.

3.Leadbelly : influential and legendary

4.Otis Redding : The Otis Blue album and a handful of singles are enough to earn him a 4th place, ahead of the Stones

5.Django Reinhardt : I've listened to a compilation and I agree with Schwah and Honorio. His music was awesome.
6.The Rolling Stones
7.Georges Brassens
8.Animals
9.Rev. Gary Davis
10.The Byrds

1. The Rolling Stones - With "Aftermath", they proved they can rely entirely on the songwriting skills of Jagger & Richards.
2. The Byrds - "Eight Miles High" is one of the seminal songs of the 60s.
3. Otis Redding - At this point the greatest soul singer. His "Try a Little Tenderness" and "I've Been Loving You Too Long" are among the greatest songs of all time.
4. Howlin' Wolf - Leading man of the electric blues. Big influence on #1.
5. The Supremes - A fantastic list of hits make them the most important Motown act of '66.
6. The Ronettes
7. Jacques Brel
8. Ike & Tina Turner
9. The Who
10. The Kinks

Bacstage Wing
1. Berry Gordy
2. John Hammond
3. Willie Dixon

Oh, yes, backstage wing

1. Ahmet Ertegun : just look at the Atlantic catalogue
2. Berry Gordy
3. Art Rupe : with Specialty records, he recorded giants of r&b and rock'n'roll like Little Richard, Percy Mayfield, Joe Liggins, Larry Williams, etc.

1. THE ROLLING STONES
2. THE WHO
3. OTIS REDDING
Same top 3 for me as last week, but with the Stones on top this time—now that they’ve released Aftermath and “Paint It, Black,” I just think they have to be the front-runner.

Which is not to say the Who and Otis have been sitting on their hands. Nothing wrong with “Substitute” and “Try a Little Tenderness” at all. At this point, the gap between the achievements of #3 and #4 is a big one.

4. THE KINKS. I may be overinflating their record at this point; if I am, it’s because I don’t think they’re going any higher on my ballot (unless the people in front of them get in). I may change my mind about Village Green Preservation Society one day, but Face to Face is both my favorite Kinks album and the end of the part of their career that interests me the most.

5. BILL MONROE. I flipped Monroe and Rodgers this week, sort of as a symbolic move. I really like ‘em both, but I’ve been impressed with how strong Monroe’s advocacy has been for the HOA.

6. JIMMIE RODGERS
7. THE BYRDS
8. HOWLIN’ WOLF
9. WILSON PICKETT
10. THE TEMPTATIONS

I finally, reluctantly, dropped the Carter Family. I just don’t see any juice in their candidacy any more.

Backstage:
1. BRIAN EPSTEIN
2. WILLIE DIXON
3. AHMET ERTEGUN

(Stephan, I hope the move’s going smoothly!)

Forgot the backstage wing:

1. Ahmet Eretegun
2. Barry Gordy
3. Willie Dixon

Ella's in, and another one on-board for Django!

Tough to figure out who's come on stronger amongst the Stones and the Kinks, in their first year of HOA-worthy output.

The Temptations added Ain't to Proud to Beg and I'm Losing You... is it enough to get them in?

No question about who jumps to the top of my list, though.

1. Otis Redding - Of course Thelonious is more mind-expandingly brilliant. But he don't make me feel the way Otis makes me feel.

2. Thelonious Monk -- Mind-expandingly brilliant.

3. Django Reinhardt - Propping back up. Maybe some other people will be interested in hearing his output. Thanks nicolas. I feel like I should now check out Jacques Brel.

4. The Who -- Another amazing year: "Substitute," "I'm a Boy," "The Kids Are Alright," "Happy Jack," "A Quick One, While He's Away"

5. The Impressions -- Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff.

6. Patsy Cline - Favorable reappraisal moves her up. The Supremes have more hits, but Patsy's are stronger.

7. The Rolling Stones - Only year they'd be in front of the Kinks until Some Girls... both will be voted in long before then.

8. The Shangri-Las

9. The Kinks - "Well Respected Man," "Sunny Afternoon," "Dead End Street," "Dedicated Follower of Fashion" - A very respectable year. Not quite up to the work of Mick and the boys (particularly "Under My Thumb" and "Mother's Little Helper").

10. The Platters - Holding above the Supremes and the Temptations for just one more year.

Backstage:

Lomax drops to the might of the Motown machine. It was too early for Martin last year, but I might have voted for him this year. Epstein is temtping, but I've always felt his influence was a little overstated. He managed the Gold Rush pretty well, but how much was him drviving it, and how much of it was him simply riding it?

1. George Gershwin
2. Wexler/Ertegun
3. Berry Gordy

Now it starts to get tough deciding who gets cut from the top 10 not who makes the top 10.

1. Herman's Hermits- One of my favorite singles bands from the 60's. I should have put them in last year but I forgot.

2. The Kinks- I keep putting bands in before they really hit their stride but Face To Face is better than anything the rest of the list put out.

3. The Supremes- This was their heyday and they kind of went downhill from here. Not off the charts downhill, but a step back for sure. But, this is when they should be recognized.

4. Art Blakey- Just picked up Moanin' on vinyl this weekend and I think that it's moved up to #1 when it comes to jazz records.

5. The Rolling Stones- IMO, this was also the Stones peak.

6. Donovan- My favorite album by him, Fairytale had already been released, Sunshine Superman puts him on the list.

7. The Byrds
8. Simon and Garfunkel
9. The Monkees
10. The Zombies

Next year?: The Hollies, Lovin' Spoonful, Neil Diamond

Maybe years down the road: The Monks, 13th Floor Elevators, The Remains, Nancy Sinatra, Animals

Well, I thought a 5 artists list was enough, but I just read that it had to be 10 to be eligible.
Good think, since I forgot one artist :

6 - Bobby Lapointe
I just realised that "Saucisson de cheval" came out in 66. So with that song being the most genuinely funny of the history of French music and many other songs bringing fun, poetry and/or melancoly, Bobby is my favourite "chansonnier" (sorry Nicolas, I don't really enjoy Brassens)

7 - The Kinks
8 - The Four Tops
9 - The Temptations
10 - The Animals

1. The Rolling Stones – Again, their very best work is still years ahead, but why bother waiting?
2. Bill Evans – Monk is more influential and certainly belongs in the HOA, but on a personal level I prefer Evans, a brilliant artist who communicates equally well on an intellectual and an emotional level – and a man who was as deeply troubled and as unconvinced of his enormous talent as any self-destructive rock genius.
3. Thelonius Monk – Having said that, I feel bad that Monk missed the cut by so little last time, so I’ll do my part here. For a man who so obviously created and performed to please himself, he’s certainly enriched countless others.
4. Otis Redding – When you look up “soul” in the real dictionary, his picture should be there. Another year and this will be a posthumous vote; let’s try to avoid that, shall we?
5. Howlin’ Wolf – It’s kind of a shame that he hasn’t gotten in yet. The window (or, more appropriately, the back door) may be closing.
6. The Who
7. The Kinks
8. Ornette Coleman
9. The Byrds
10. Sonny Rollins

BACKSTAGE WING
1. Berry Gordy
2. Rudy Van Gelder (seriously, folks – look up just how many of the great jazz albums he recorded at his home studio in New Jersey, and then keep not voting for him)
3. George Gershwin

Just wanted to say: excellent call on the Sonics, Lonesome.

As much as I like garage rock, if the Sonics are elected into the Hall of Acclaim over Thelonious Monk, then I'm moving to Canada.

1. Woody Guthrie
2. Bill Monroe
3. George Jones
4. Otis Redding - if sam cooke's in, otis is the next logical inductee...and then comes aretha
5. The Rolling Stones - aftermath - damn good album

6. The Who
7. Howlin' Wolf
8. The Byrds
9. Merle Haggard
10. Jimmie Rodgers

Backstage

1. Burt Bacharach
2. Ahmet Ertegun
3. Berry Gordy

01. THE ROLLING STONES: The first three reasons to induct the Stones that came to my mind could be: a) they got back the rhythm and blues with their first albums, not only bringing back the spirit and authenticity of the blues but even giving to the original blues-men a second chance by making them hip again, b) they integrated this “ancient” sound to a whole new style, the sound of today, just listen to singles like “Satisfaction” (the guitar riff as the axis of the new Rock ’n’ Roll) or their last album, “Aftermath” (pop & blues?) and c) they exemplifies the wild side of life like no performer before, they not represent but they ARE the rebelliousness, the nerve, the danger, the rock and the roll.
My favourite album: Aftermath (1966).
My Top 5 Songs: (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (1965), Mother’s Little Helper (1966), Time Is on My Side (1964), Under My Thumb (1966), Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing in the Shadows (1966).

02. OTIS REDDING: Sam Cooke has already a worthy heir, I mean someone able to keep alive his black roots but with a pop sensibility willing to appeal the white audiences. But there is a big difference between them: while Sam was elegant and restrained Otis exudes intensity, sexuality and, yes, soul.
My favourite album: Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul (1965).
My Top 3 Songs: Try a Little Tenderness (1966), I’ve Been Loving You Too Long (1965), I Can’t Turn You Loose (1966).

03. JACQUES BREL: probably a single Top 5 vote from an American friend could be enough to induct the first (and last?) non English-speaking artist to our Hall of Fame. It would be NICE but, I don’t know, maybe I’m asking too much.

04. THE SUPREMES: last year we inducted The Miracles from the music factory Tamla-Motown, now it’s time to induct the female branch of this wonderful sound. And not only sound. The songs are an argument strong enough, but there’s that beautiful look and mise-en-scène too.
My favourite album: Where Did Our Love Go (1964).
My Top 3 Songs: Baby Love (1964), You Can’t Hurry Love (1966), Where Did Our Love Go (1964).

05. DJANGO REINHARDT: last chance for Django?

06. THE WHO.
07. THELONIUS MONK.
08. THE KINKS.
09. THE RONETTES.
10. THE BYRDS.

And at the backstage:
01. BURT BACHARACH & HAL DAVID: Some of the best songs on the charts right now are coming from the pen of Hal David and the piano of Burt Bacharach. Classy sounds from the Brill Building. Favourite song: DIONNE WARWICK Walk On By (1964).
02. BRIAN EPSTEIN.
03. BERRY GORDY, Jr.