Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tom Moon's 1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die

http://www.amazon.com/000-Recordings-Hear-Before-You/dp/076113963X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221367781&sr=1-1

Another "Search Inside" feature at the site, which is cool.

Re: Tom Moon's 1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die
I Don't Think...

the Beatles have enough albums listed. I know other 1,000 type lists tried restricting it to 1 album per act. Ah well.

This Moon book also includes tracks- i.e. Britney Spears' "Toxic," in which he says it's the only thing you ever need to hear from her- may not be that far off the truth.

I would say every civilized music fan should listen to some pop music, like Britney. Liking it isn't necessary, but having heard it is required.

Have placed it in on my library reserve list.

This book looks fantastic. There's an online version as well, with all the albums listed, including some information about each album.

The information for each album also includes additional album recommendations (called "catalog choice", "next stop" and "after that"). With those recommendations included as well at AM, I think this would be one of AM's best resources! Sometimes "key tracks" are also given, but this information seems a little arbitrary (since not all albums have key tracks) so maybe it's best to skip that.

I'd really like to include this book in a coming update, but unfortunately I won't have the time to do all the work that is needed. As with every critics list, I need to sort out compilations and most classical music (although I do include modern composers for which there are "original releases") and this is a huge task in this case, as the list is extensive and include many lesser-known (but interesting!) choices.

So, some of you have said that you'd be glad to help me out with something and here's your chance!

I had no idea there was an associated website - that certainly makes things easier for someone (cough, cough) who might be thinking about tabulating the list but hasn't gotten around to buying the book yet... Thanks for the link. If no one else has jumped in yet, I'd be happy to take a crack at it. Would you just want the list of albums and songs that would be eligible for Acclaimed Music, i.e., with the non-modern classical works excluded? (I would tabulate the compilations but indicate that that's what they are.)

One question, which I'm sure you knew would be coming: I can't help but notice that you said "A" coming update rather than "THE" coming update, which seems to indicate that Moon's book will be included in whatever site update comes AFTER the next one, rather than holding back the new update until this list can be added. Is that accurate?

Many thanks Harold, I didn't think I would have a bite this fast!

One question, which I'm sure you knew would be coming: I can't help but notice that you said "A" coming update rather than "THE" coming update, which seems to indicate that Moon's book will be included in whatever site update comes AFTER the next one, rather than holding back the new update until this list can be added. Is that accurate?

No, not quite. With "A" I wanted to say that this work doesn't have to be done prior to the next update, I appreciate the help even if it takes several months. However, if it can be done quickly, it could definitely be included in the coming update, as I still have lots of work to do at my end.

Thanks again!

Oh, and I woud leave the handling of the non-modern classical recordings up to you.