Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jack Bruce knocks Led Zeppelin

Here's the interview from this site: http://www.musicradar.com/...age-crap-179860

Dave Ling: It's good news that there might be more from Cream?
Jack Bruce: "Well, the trouble is that I'm doing so many amazing things on my own. Cream is just a band from many, many years ago, and we did do something [referring to the reunion shows in 2005]…

"Everybody talks about Led Zeppelin, and they played one fucking gig - one fucking lame gig - while Cream did weeks of gigs. Proper gigs, not just a lame gig like Zeppelin did, with all the [vocal] keys lowered and everything.

"We played everything in the original keys. [Becoming animated]: Fuck off, Zeppelin, you're crap. You've always been crap and you'll never be anything else. The worst thing is that people believe the crap that they're sold. Cream is 10 times the band that Led Zeppelin is."

Ling: That's a bold opinion.
Bruce: "What? You're gonna compare Eric Clapton with that fucking Jimmy Page? Would you really compare that?"

Ling: To be fair, they're different kinds of player, aren't they?
Bruce: "No! Eric's good and Jimmy's crap. And with that I rest my case."

Re: Jack Bruce knocks Led Zeppelin

Uh huh. Is that why every Cream album is a handful of classics and then a giant load of crap, and all of Zeppelin's first six albums have at least a few classics and maybe only a handful of bad songs?

You can argue easily that Clapton's a more technically talented guitarist than Page, but Page's trademark song isn't 'Wonderful Tonight'.

I haven't heard an interview this combatively delusional since Lennon's late career ones. And Lennon earned it.

Clapton's trademark song is Layla easily. I think Led Zeppelin had more consistency, but I'd rather listen to Cream's best over Zep's best any day.

Regardless of the merits of Cream vs. Led Zeppelin, that's no excuse for Bruce's petulant rant - delivered backstage at the Classic Rock Awards - especially since, if you read the follow-up, he explains that it basically comes from a jealous fit of pique over the way the Zeppelin reunion overshadowed the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert that was its reason for being in the first place (which resulted in Cream dropping out of the show). As if that wasn't bad enough, Bruce then half-assedly tries to sweep the whole thing aside by attributing it to "my strange sense of humour." (Or, to quote Fred Armisen's Fericio from SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, "I'm jus' KEEDING!!!")

Just shut up and play your bass, Jack. That's something you're actually good at - almost as good as John Paul Jones.

Ive always thought Zep are overated, but Cream is better? Naff off.

what's that disdain for the Zep on this forum ?

I may actually like Cream a touch more than Zep, but I'd never call Zep crap.

I think this is the most telling quote: "Well, the trouble is that I'm doing so many amazing things on my own."

Bad free jazz doesn't count as amazing.

National Lampoon did a comedy bit in the early '70s (probably on the LEMMINGS album) called "The All-Star Dead Band", with then-member John Belushi (ironic, no?) calling the roll of the "band members": Hendrix and Duane Allman on guitar, Joplin and Morrison on vocals, etc. Biggest laugh of the bit: "On drums, Ginger Baker." Who, of course, was not dead, and still isn't. But memories of that 17-minute version of "Toad" on WHEELS OF FIRE were undoubtedly still fresh enough to evoke wishful thinking...

No disdain here Nicolas, I like Led Zeppelin a lot. I just think Cream's best is better than Zeppelin's best.

While I don't really care for Zeppelin, I don't really feel that they deserve the kind of things that he was saying and comparing artists is simply a matter of opinion.