Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
c
Chris
Music from different regions of the UK
The UK is slightly smaller than the US state of Oregon and has a population of about 1/5 the US according to the CIA factbook) yet seems to generate a substantial portion of acclaimed, popular music. I've never been there, but I theorize it has something to do with t...
Views: 744   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 6, 2007 11:44pm
by MightyMadMax
greatest album with the worst cover-art
I hope you've understood it well I'm listening to "Cosmo's factory" by Creedence Clearwater Revival the album is fantastic (for those who love CCR) but I never understood the art cover, one of the ugliest ever I think it is the worse cover art quality /musical q...
Views: 613   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 6, 2007 9:00pm
by Snusmumrik
The Rolling Stones
To my shame, I have to admit that I've never really got into them. I own Forty Licks, and really like just about every track on it, yet for whatever reason I don't have any of their studio albums. Now, from Henrik's site (and popular consensus) I know that Exile on M...
Views: 708   Replies: 23
Last Post: Oct 6, 2007 10:41am
by Neoptolemos
Great download if you want a laugh
Go to this webpage: http://www.coverfreak.com/ and find the post called "Drinking Hard or Hardly Drinking" and download The Gourds' version of "Gin And Juice." It's an awesome countrified version of the Snoop Dog song. Very funny (and well done).
Views: 551   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 6, 2007 7:26am
by John
Pre 1963 albums
Are there any great rock and roll albums before 1963 that I should get that are not compliations like Chuck Berry or Elvis Sun Sessions. There seems to be a definite line drawn between the quality of albums before the British Invasion and Folk Rock.
Views: 548   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 6, 2007 4:38am
by schleuse
LE NOUVEL OBSERVATEUR - 40 Ans de 45 Tours de France (1951-1991)
Hi Henrik, here's a ranked list from a weekly french news publication which usually tackles with politics and social issues but it also covers a large cultural ground. This one came out in January 1991. More than 40 critics voted and it was done in conjunction with F...
Views: 3064   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 5, 2007 1:33pm
by nicolas
ROBERT DIMERY - Les 1001 Albums Qu'il Faut Avoir Ecoutés Dans Sa Vie
Hi Henrik, in the introduction of the french translation of this book which came out in Octber 2006, the famous critic Michka ASSAYAS - author of a "Dictionnaire Du Rock" published in 2000 - points out that only 12 French Albums were selected and thus, decided to dra...
Views: 728   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 5, 2007 11:08am
by olivier moinet
Bracketology Round 2: Pregame
Welcome to bracketology’s second-round pregame thread. Today and tomorrow (Monday and Tuesday), I’ll focus on the first round results and the field of 64. On Wednesday, I’ll post the first-round stats for individual voters. (You guys, of course, sho...
Views: 1205   Replies: 68
Last Post: Oct 5, 2007 3:03am
by Rocky Raccoon
t
tim
the American Idol Game
Which music publication would be Simon? Which would be Paula and which would be Randy? Pitchfork is obviously Simon Cowell Entertainment Weekly would be Paula because they like everything. AMG would be Randy Jackson because they seem fair and split down the mid...
Views: 581   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 4, 2007 5:00pm
by Chris
t
tim
Best Trip Hop Album
What's your favorite trip hop album of all time?
Views: 648   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 3, 2007 3:05pm
by Vgrd
h
Henrik
I have become a father!!!!!!!
Dear All, Earlier this week (Tuesday) my wife and I got a little girl, named Hanna. She's very easy to take care of (so far) and she surely is the the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! And as you probably understand, she is the most important thing in my l...
Views: 883   Replies: 25
Last Post: Oct 3, 2007 2:58pm
by Vgrd
h
Henrik
Forum poll: The Best Albums and Songs of 1998
This is the ninth part of the best albums and songs of the 1990s poll, which is described here. You are welcome to list and discuss your favorite albums and/or songs of 1998 in this thread. List(s) need to be posted before the end of September to be included in th...
Views: 2261   Replies: 57
Last Post: Oct 3, 2007 2:57pm
by Vgrd
Favorite Country Songs
OK. Somebody asked for this on another thread. What are your favorite country songs (if any)? I think we should use songs rather than albums because country is a singles dominated medium. Here are mine – One from each artist. Roughly chronological. H...
Views: 1032   Replies: 37
Last Post: Oct 3, 2007 2:35pm
by Anthony
w
Will J
Tupac's Death Find Out The Truth
Hi I'm New On Here But Just Wanted To Say Hey To Everyone!!!! I'm A Big Tupac Fan And I Intern At UMGD And Had Some Info About A New Tupac Dvd Coming Out Oct.23 About His Murder What Really Happen Now Find Out Check Out The Trailer (myspace.com/tupacsassination) And...
Views: 525   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 3, 2007 6:14am
by jonmarck
s
STEFAN
01/10/2007 : UPDATE : BEST REVIEWED ALBUMS OF 2007 SO FAR
THE REVIEWS/SCORES OF FOLLOWING PUBLICATIONS/WEBSITES HAVE BEEN ADDED UP : - COKEMACHINEGLOW - DUSTED - FASTNBULBOUS - METACRITIC - MUSICBOX - MUSIK EXPRESS - OBSERVER/GUARDIAN - PITCHFORKMEDIA - PLATTENTESTS - PLAYLOUDER - PREFIXMAG - Q - RATE YOUR MU...
Views: 961   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 2, 2007 5:11pm
by goblin4
NATTY DREAD - Les 33 Chansons Reggae Fondatrices (1961-2005)
Hi Henrik, this special issue came out in January/February 2007.It is a chronological list of the songs that "built" reggae music. This bi-monthly is also on the web at www.nattydread.fr 1961: THE FOLKS BROTHERS-Oh Carolina 1963: THE WAILERS-Simmer Down 1966: D...
Views: 667   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 2, 2007 3:17pm
by olivier moinet
Revolver vs Pet Sounds
I think Revolver is the more innovative album though I like Pet Sounds. Psychedelic music was very early in the game when Revolver came out and I think this was the album that put it on the map. Revolver has rock music first full blown out raga in Love you Too, back...
Views: 937   Replies: 36
Last Post: Oct 2, 2007 2:41pm
by Daniel
Is Elvis overrated ?
I always thought Elvis was great but I can't help but notice how many bands say they were influenced by the Beatles instead of Elvis. What's your opinion.
Views: 739   Replies: 15
Last Post: Oct 1, 2007 10:34pm
by jonmarck
t
tim
Never Mind the Bollocks vs. London Calling
Which was the better album. For me it's London Calling.
Views: 759   Replies: 12
Last Post: Oct 1, 2007 7:24pm
by Chris
great new band the opiates
hey has any of u heard a great band called The Opiates? I listened 2 their cd We Really Suck, which was released on September 17 on Circular Records (a subsidiary of Gakcorp), and it is teh bomb! The drummer uses real sticks (made of wood!) and the singer gets almost...
Views: 609   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 30, 2007 10:32pm
by nicolas
Bracketology: Week 16
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, here they are: the last set of brackets in the first round. Enjoy. Ballots are due by midnight, September 29. BRACKET 61 38. The Beatles, “Hey Jude” (1968) 91. The Temptations, “My Girl” (1964) 16...
Views: 1452   Replies: 58
Last Post: Sep 29, 2007 7:26pm
by Formerly Educate...
Mink Music!
hey there! is anyone a Mink fan? i like Mink because they have really good music to listen to. I especially like the songs "Talk to me" and "Dematerialize". Neal Carlson the lead singer is really good at emphasizing the right words. I was talking to my friend at Univ...
Views: 576   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 29, 2007 12:05pm
by nicolas
Three new polls.
I have read three new polls this month will they count on Acclaimed music lists ? One by Mojo Magazine the 50 Greatest Psychedelic songs of 1967 and two by Q Magazine The Top 20 Greatest Guitar Tracks Ever and The Top 10 Greatest Songs Ever Written.
Views: 565   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 29, 2007 11:53am
by Henrik
h
Henrik
Forum poll: The Best Albums and Songs of 1997
This is the seventh part of the best albums and songs of the 1990s poll, which is described here. You are welcome to list and discuss your favorite albums and/or songs of 1997 in this thread. List(s) need to be posted before the end of August to be included in the...
Views: 2159   Replies: 63
Last Post: Sep 29, 2007 2:12am
by David A.
m
Mario
OK Computer vs Nevermind
I think "Ok Computer" should be the number 1 album of the '90. "Nevermind" is a very important album that change the music in the '90 like "Nevermind the bullocks" did in the '70 (with much more strenght). But like the latter, it's seems tied to his era while "Ok Com...
Views: 670   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 28, 2007 3:39pm
by John
w
Will
Conspiracy or Revenge - Tupac
There’s a new Tupac DVD out now entitled Tupac Assassination: Conspiracy or Revenge. With never been seen interviews with Tupac’s former bodyguard as well as police officers on the scene that fateful night, this DVD takes Tupac’s murder to another l...
Views: 630   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 28, 2007 3:59am
by Will
and what about blues ?
Sorry but I can't resist giving you my list Never been so busy (2 jobs at the same time) but never posted that much.. It's a compilation I had made for a friend who's a jazz fan and wanted to discover the blues So there are personal favorites and classics Bess...
Views: 558   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 27, 2007 8:42pm
by nicolas
t
Taylor
Blonde on Blonde
Someone explain to me why this album is so highly rated I just don't understand it. Lyrics are not enought for me it has to be listenable also and Bob Dylan is not very listenable. Velvet Underground is another band or artist who I can't listen to also.
Views: 749   Replies: 13
Last Post: Sep 27, 2007 4:22pm
by Giz
j
John
Favorite jazz recordings
While we're at it how about jazz? 1. Charles Mingus- Black Saint and the Sinner Lady 2. Bill Evans Trio- Sunday at the Village Vanguard 3. Dexter Gordon- Our Man in Paris 4. John Coltrane- A Love Supreme 5. The Quintet- Jazz at Massey Hall
Views: 681   Replies: 11
Last Post: Sep 26, 2007 7:13pm
by Jorgito
j
John
Favorite classical/opera works and your favorite recordings.
I've noticed that our horizons aren't very broad so I thought I'd throw this in and see how many classical music lovers we have. 1. Mozart- The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote)- Michael Halasz 2. Brahams- Piano Trio No.1 in B Major- Eroica Trio 3. Mozart- Req...
Views: 710   Replies: 11
Last Post: Sep 26, 2007 12:29am
by John
h
Henrik
Has bracketology changed your view on music in any way?
Has bracketology changed your view on any artists or genres? What I describe here is not a major change, but anyway ... during the last 10-15 years I've seen Beatles as the greatest band of all time. Therefore, I have surprised myself so far by putting a majority...
Views: 689   Replies: 9
Last Post: Sep 23, 2007 12:24pm
by Neoptolemos
Bracketology: Week 15
Well, scratch my records and call me skippy!...we’ve gotten to the penultimate week of the first round. Ballots must be in by midnight Saturday, September 22. BRACKET 57 43. OutKast, “Hey Ya!” (2003) 86. Prince, “Little Red Corvette...
Views: 1459   Replies: 33
Last Post: Sep 23, 2007 10:36am
by Rocky Raccoon
Blender lists
Blender - 50 Greatest CDs of 2003 1. The White Stripes, ELEPHANT 2. OutKast, SPEAKERBOXX/THE LOVE BELOW 3. Fountains of Wayne, WELCOME INTERSTATE MANAGERS 4. Ryan Adams, ROCK N ROLL 5. Justin Timberlake, JUSTIFIED 6. The Libertines, UP THE BRACKET 7. Beyonce...
Views: 1107   Replies: 10
Last Post: Sep 22, 2007 11:30pm
by Anthony
AMG track picks
Henrik have you ever thought of including AMG's track picks for the albums they review in AM?
Views: 1120   Replies: 15
Last Post: Sep 22, 2007 7:54pm
by Henrik
j
JR
Gay.com: Top 10 Pride Songs
SInce that gay albums list from The Advocate is included, I suppose this list would be eligible: http://www.gay.com/content/slideshow/?coll=876&navpath=/channels/pride/ I don't think there's any particular order. "Proud," Heather Smalls "Believe," Cher "Be...
Views: 912   Replies: 14
Last Post: Sep 21, 2007 8:25am
by JR
BNIT Final Four: And the winner is......
…“There She Goes,” by the La’s. The song with the catchy hook and the ambiguous subject-matter is the champion of the BNIT, with 40 points. Five voters picked this #1: Loophole, Pomtidom (sorry, Neoptolemos), Honorio, Midaso, and Mo. The ru...
Views: 526   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 16, 2007 3:17pm
by Anthony
Bracketology: Week 14
Direct from bracketology’s nerve center here on the Third Coast, it’s another set of 16 songs for your consideration. Brackets due at midnight, Saturday, 15 September 2007 (thought I should use the international format for dates just once). BRACKET...
Views: 1302   Replies: 32
Last Post: Sep 16, 2007 2:03am
by Rocky Raccoon
BNIT: The Final Four
It’s time to decide this thing—here are the last four survivors of the BNIT. BNIT FINAL FOUR BRACKET 3. Love, “Alone Again Or” 7. Talking Heads, “Psycho Killer” 13. The La’s, “There She Goes” 33. The White...
Views: 1016   Replies: 17
Last Post: Sep 15, 2007 2:58pm
by nicolas
Die 75 besten Alben aller Zeiten (aus Zeitschrift Focus vom 05.05.2003)
1. Never mind the bollocks - Sex Pistols 2. Revolver - Beatles 3. Pet Sounds - Beach Boys 4. The Velvet Underground & Nico - Velvet Underground 5. Nevermind - Nirvana 6. What's going on - Marvin Gaye 7. Exile on Main St. - Rolling Stones 8. Sgt. Pepper's Lone...
Views: 583   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 13, 2007 12:59pm
by Neoptolemos
The 10 Most Perfect Song Ever. (As Told By Q)
To introduce the following list in Q's own words: "The premise is a fiendishly simple one: poll 50 songwriters of no little repute to determine history's finest examples of the art form. From the classic protest song to the ultimate junkie anthem, these are the re...
Views: 3490   Replies: 15
Last Post: Sep 12, 2007 7:09am
by John
Bracketology: Week 13
Attention, triskaidekaphobes—Week 13 of bracketology begins now. Ballots are due at midnight on Saturday, September 8. BRACKET 49 46. The Police, “Every Breath You Take” (1983) 83. Guns ‘n’ Roses, “Sweet Child O’ Mine...
Views: 1375   Replies: 37
Last Post: Sep 11, 2007 3:44am
by jonmarck
The artist formerly known as Pomtidom..
Will henceforth be posting under the nickname 'Neoptolemos'. This is the nickname I use everywhere and I'm starting to get annoyed by Pomtidom (no idea why I picked that in the first place). Just figured I should let you guys know, so I can still get my bracketology...
Views: 564   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 10, 2007 6:00pm
by Neoptolemos
Songs that deserve critical acclaim for 2007
What Goes Around...Comes Around - Justin Timberlake Umbrella - Rhianna ft. Jay Z Give It To Me - Timbaland, Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake The Way I Are - Timbaland Stronger - Kanye West Keep Your Hands Off My Girl - Good Charlotte UFO - Sneaky Sound System...
Views: 826   Replies: 13
Last Post: Sep 8, 2007 9:13pm
by John
BNIT: Semifinals
The round of 12 begins in the BNIT, with the winners from the first round facing off against each other. As I’ve noted, there are only three songs in each bracket this week, but they’ll work the same as our usual four-song brackets. The four winners this...
Views: 947   Replies: 29
Last Post: Sep 7, 2007 12:47pm
by Mo
BNIT: Semifinal results
BNIT SEMIFINAL RESULTS We have a Final Four for the BNIT. Competition was much tighter than usual—two brackets went to tiebreaker—which is probably to be expected once we’re in the higher rounds. The moral here is that every vote counts, especial...
Views: 623   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 7, 2007 3:58am
by schleuse
k
Kurt
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
Your thoughts? I wish thy got a little bit more media attention... I could see them having a couple of albums on this list no sweat
Views: 748   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 6, 2007 12:07pm
by Midaso
Athlete/Musician Game
Based on the popularity of schleuse's Bracketology game, I realized there are a lot of sport fans on this forum so I decided to begin a thread with this game. Some of you may already be familiar with it. The premise is you take any band or singer and decide which spo...
Views: 755   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 6, 2007 2:23am
by The Ghost of And...
It's June... So what are your favourite albums of the year so far ?
Here's my list : 1. of Montreal - Hissing fauna, are you the destroyer ? 2. Richard Swift - Dressed up for the letdown 3. The High Llamas - Can cladders 4. Sondre Lerche - Phantom punch 5. Apples in Stereo - New magnetic wonder 6. The Earlies - The enemy chor...
Views: 1040   Replies: 16
Last Post: Sep 4, 2007 1:26am
by Bob
Bracketology: Week 12
Again we go, as the Libertines would say, up the bracket… Ballots due by midnight Saturday, September 1…and just typing that reminds me that the end of the first round (at the end of September, on the 29th) is on the horizon. BRACKET 45 39. The Cla...
Views: 1405   Replies: 41
Last Post: Sep 1, 2007 9:37am
by Rocky Raccoon
Top 5 Most Overrated Acclaimed Artists Forum Poll:
1)U2 (#15) - realistically U2 aren't that good. ok yeh theyve been around forever but they havent made anything that special 2)Radiohead (#18) - i really like Radiohead, but they're not top 20 material 3)Outkast (#54) - haha need i say more. I dont understand t...
Views: 1628   Replies: 38
Last Post: Aug 31, 2007 5:37pm
by Schwah
Forum Poll: Top 10 most overrated acclaimed songs
1)Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan (#1) 2)Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (#61) 3)Nuthin But a G-Thang - Dr Dre & Snoop Dogg (#126) 4)The Message - Grandmaster Flash (#15) 5)Crazy - Gnarls Barkley (soon to be #36) 6)Hey Ya - Outkast (#42) 7)My Name Is - Eminem (#229)...
Views: 1260   Replies: 16
Last Post: Aug 31, 2007 5:35pm
by Schwah
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Am I the only person who thinks this album sounds really dated nowadays? There's only two tracks on it that have stood the test of time, the title track and "Backstreets". The rest sounds pretty bad by today's standards, a bit like a Meatloaf album. Puzzles me how...
Views: 718   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 31, 2007 12:33pm
by John
Bob Dylan on youTube
".... what a lot of people don't realize is that Bob Dylan actually wrote every popular song in the last 35 years. Every single one." I'm sure a few of you have seen this already, but I just stumbled upon it tonight and found it pretty hilarious. For all the Dyl...
Views: 593   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 30, 2007 2:21pm
by Pomtidom
Magical Mystery Snub
Critical rankings are a strange thing. Case in point: Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour were both released in the same year. Both have six “acclaimed” songs. Sgt. Peppers is the 5th ranked album of all time, while Magical Mystery Tour is way down...
Views: 803   Replies: 12
Last Post: Aug 30, 2007 2:13pm
by twister
c
Chris
Downloads Vs. CDs--Can you let go of the plastic?
I'm thinking of making my first digital music purchase. I'm so enamored with the "cover flow view" on Itunes that I actually think I could do without the actual CD. There's something about actually being able to see the cover art that makes paying $10 for a digital a...
Views: 1057   Replies: 35
Last Post: Aug 29, 2007 9:18pm
by Pomtidom
Favorite songs by the top 25 artists
With a tip of the cap to Miguel for inspiring the idea... Reading everyone's posts, I often think I'm the only person here who prefers songs to albums, so consider this a plea for equal time. In case it's not obvious, these are from the Top 200 Artists of All T...
Views: 1087   Replies: 31
Last Post: Aug 27, 2007 4:04pm
by Anthony
BNIT: Week 3 Results
The first round is now over, and here are the final results. Bracket I 34. ARETHA FRANKLIN, “CHAIN OF FOOLS” (48 points / 7 first-place votes) 10. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (41 / 4) 15. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the R...
Views: 563   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 26, 2007 4:36pm
by schleuse
BNIT: Week 3
Leave us not forget the last four brackets in the BNIT’s first round. If you haven’t seen a song by now, it ain’t in the BNIT. Ballots due Saturday, August 25. BRACKET I 10. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975) 15. Ann Peebles,...
Views: 1038   Replies: 30
Last Post: Aug 26, 2007 11:48am
by marc
j
JR
50 Best Songs Ever
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22227081-5005368,00.html Welcome to PerthNow. Skip to: Search Box Section Navigation Network Navigation Content View the Sitemap NEWS.com.au | FOX SPORTS | CLASSIFIEDS | MOBILE Search For: enhanced by Google...
Views: 788   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 26, 2007 10:45am
by twister
Bracketology: Week 11
Coming to you live from underneath the remnants of Tropical Storm Erin, here’s Week 11 of the first round. Sixteen more songs ready for their close-up. Ballots due by midnight US Central time, Saturday, August 25. BRACKET 41 42. R.E.M., “Losing My...
Views: 1387   Replies: 38
Last Post: Aug 25, 2007 4:51pm
by nicolas
Rod Stewart
I'll fill out the new bracket over the weekend, but I can't let Schleuse's spectacularly dismissive remarks about Rod the Mod go unanswered. Now, Rod Stewart as we now know him -is- every bit as "appalling" as Schleuse says -- at some point during the mid-70s, he mo...
Views: 909   Replies: 18
Last Post: Aug 24, 2007 8:52pm
by Chris
j
JR
"The Songs of the Cenury"- a Greek Book
I came across this on the Net, and was wondering if there were any Greek acclaimed-music fans out there that could possibly investigate. It's a list of some 2,000 songs. Talk about HUGE. The book was compiled based on tracks' social, artistic and commercial succ...
Views: 872   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 24, 2007 8:18am
by JR
j
Jason
Too much rock
So many of these lists focus primarily (and even only) on rock/alternative acts. Can we try to get some more country, R&B, etc. lists? Too many music critics think rock is the only genre that matters
Views: 741   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 20, 2007 9:13pm
by Greg Rumpff
c
Chris
Back to Black....Francis that is.
I read Frank Black is recording a new album under the name Black Francis. Any thoughts? Any high expectations?
Views: 721   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 20, 2007 5:19am
by goblin4
BNIT: Week 2 Results
Bracket E 20. JOHN LENNON, “INSTANT KARMA (WE ALL SHINE ON” (53 points / 10 first-place votes) 29. Muddy Waters, “Hoochie Coochie Man” (35 / 2) 44. Edwin Starr, “War” (35 / 2) 5. Britney Spears, “Toxic” (27 / 1)...
Views: 466   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 19, 2007 8:18pm
by jonmarck
Since lately no one has posted anything interesting
I think selected songs off Ministry of Sound 'Sessions 4' and 'One Love' deserve critical acclaim this year. So there
Views: 551   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2007 1:00pm
by Richard
Bracketology: Week 10
Friday’s come around again, so, in the words of Pomtidom, here’s more brackety goodness. Ballots due by midnight on Saturday, August 18. BRACKET 37 34. Buddy Holly, “That’ll Be the Day” (1957) 95. The Bee Gees, “Stayin̵...
Views: 1303   Replies: 35
Last Post: Aug 19, 2007 4:32am
by Moonbeam
BNIT: Week 2
And, of course, there’s the BNIT…time for the second of three groups of songs in search of our consolation prize. Ballots, they are due Saturday, August 18. BRACKET E 5. Britney Spears, “Toxic” (2003) 20. John Lennon, “Instant Ka...
Views: 809   Replies: 17
Last Post: Aug 19, 2007 1:36am
by Slush
Views: 812   Replies: 18
Last Post: Aug 16, 2007 1:41pm
by Richard
BNIT: Week 1 Results
Here we go with the first BNIT results: Bracket A 1. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND, “HEROIN” (55 points / 11 first-place votes) 48. U2, “Pride (In the Name of Love)” (46 / 4) 24. Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Under the Bridge” (35 / 1) 2...
Views: 648   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 12, 2007 3:15pm
by schleuse
Bracketology: Week 9
Today we’re starting the second half of our tour of the 256 most-acclaimed songs. Ballots due by midnight, Saturday, August 11. BRACKET 33 47. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, “Purple Haze” (1967) 82. Carl Perkins, “Blue Suede Shoes”...
Views: 1355   Replies: 37
Last Post: Aug 12, 2007 2:59am
by Moonbeam
Bracketology: BNIT
What the hell am I wasting your time with now? Call it the BNIT. In college basketball, after all the slots in the championship tournament have been filled, the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) takes the 32 next-best teams. The bracketology NIT (I tried to...
Views: 1140   Replies: 28
Last Post: Aug 11, 2007 7:10pm
by Henrik
What are the artists you own the most in your collection ?
Included : albums,compilations Not Included : singles,EPs Box-sets and double-albums are counted as 1 album Here's my list : 10 records THE BEATLES 9 records THE BEACH BOYS THE BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE THE ROLLING STONES 8 records PINK FLOYD RON SEX...
Views: 1036   Replies: 22
Last Post: Aug 11, 2007 1:36am
by Greg Rumpff
Nu Metal vs. Hair Metal
I can't stand either one, but if you had to choose what sucks the least what would it be.
Views: 1121   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 11, 2007 1:32am
by Greg Rumpff
f
Fred
10 best Chicago Songs
1. Lowdown 2. Does Anybody Really Now What Time It Is? 3. 25 Or 6 To 4 4. I'm A Man 5. If You Leave Me Now 6. Beginnings
Views: 759   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 11, 2007 1:22am
by Rocky Raccoon
favorite record stores
Over on Chris' thread, I admitted that online purchasing is now my preferred way to get music, but many people (hi, Tim) waxed rhapsodic over record stores. That's a bit of nostalgia I can get behind. So--what were/are your favorites? If I came to your hometown (d...
Views: 621   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 10, 2007 12:33pm
by John
s
Sui
Sorting
Just wondering if maybe there could be a feature to sort the songs/albums in an artist's page by the year, decade or all-time rank?
Views: 598   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 9, 2007 9:01am
by Henrik
s
Slick
Slick Tournament Of Rock/1991 (Day #1)
I am starting with 1991 and branching out in each direction until we hit 1976 & 2007. For each year there is a tournament style bracket of 64 songs for which the forum can vote for the winners of each matchup with the winner advancing until we get the 32 winners fro...
Views: 656   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 9, 2007 12:32am
by Slush
k
Kurt
Thing that pleases (or dissapoints) you must from the update
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde 7 to 6! Hopefully will one day be in the top 5 where it belongs``
Views: 703   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 7, 2007 5:28am
by Jonah
Bracketology: Week 8
Time for the eighth weekly tournament smorgasbord—remember, take what you want, but want what you take. Ballots are due at midnight on Saturday, August 4. Newcomers who are wondering what the heck this is should check out Bracketology Central. BRACKET 29...
Views: 1753   Replies: 49
Last Post: Aug 4, 2007 3:10pm
by Honorio
what are you favorite online radio stations ?
I really want to know good online radio station but there are so many of them I need recommandations. What are your favorites ? For my part, I listen to excellent music programs made by BBC3 with Andy Kershaw, but it's not a rock station and rather a mix of wor...
Views: 639   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 2, 2007 8:42pm
by Dumbangel
h
Henrik
Forum poll: The Best Albums and Songs of 1996
This is the seventh part of the best albums and songs of the 1990s poll, which is described here. You are welcome to list and discuss your favorite albums and/or songs of 1996 in this thread. List(s) need to be posted before the end of July to be included in the c...
Views: 2590   Replies: 79
Last Post: Aug 2, 2007 6:20pm
by Michel
j
Jonah
KEXP 90.3 top albums
Does this list count? http://www.kexp.org/programming/charts.asp?chart=10&chartDate=Now It's a group list, and woxy.com is already in your file. This was the PLUG awards station of the year (http://www.plugawards.com/general_vote.php), and I found this list...
Views: 713   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 2, 2007 2:39am
by Rocky Raccoon
h
Henrik
New update
Hi folks, I've just updated the site. Finally... I thought I should say something about the changes since the last update. As you may notice the albums from the most recent years have moved quite a lot. Some up and some down. This is because I have (more than befo...
Views: 947   Replies: 16
Last Post: Aug 2, 2007 12:20am
by Henrik
Update question
First off, obviously: Thank you, Henrik! A most welcome sight at the beginning of the day. I look forward to diving into the new lists. I do have a question. I can't help but notice that you haven't incorporated this year's albums into the list, and I'm just c...
Views: 671   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 1, 2007 11:12pm
by Henrik
s
STEFAN
01/07/07 : UPDATE : THE BEST REVIEWED ALBUMS OF 2007 SO FAR
THE REVIEWS/SCORES OF FOLLOWING PUBLICATIONS/WEBSITES HAVE BEEN ADDED UP : - COKEMACHINEGLOW - DUSTED - FASTNBULBOUS - METACRITIC - MUSICBOX - MUSIK EXPRESS - OBSERVER/GUARDIAN - PITCHFORKMEDIA - PLATTENTESTS - PLAYLOUDER - PREFIXMAG - Q - RATE YOUR MU...
Views: 626   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 1, 2007 7:48pm
by STEFAN
Let's talk credentials!!!
As a fan of this forum (and a devotee of Bracketology), I enjoy reading everyone’s comments, and it occurred to me that it would be nice if we could all share our “musical history”, as it were. It would be nice to know what sort of musical backgrou...
Views: 674   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 1, 2007 1:41pm
by schleuse
Bracketology: General Comments
Please post any GENERAL comments/suggestions/hate mail about bracketology on this thread rather than the Bracketology Central thread. Thanks.
Views: 1218   Replies: 24
Last Post: Jul 31, 2007 3:05pm
by schleuse
before the Beatles
Reading old and more recent posts in this board, I've read a certian number of times that music that was made before 1965 (let's say the appearance of concept albums and modern production, the beatles and the beach boys) of no interest. I'm really shocked by such ig...
Views: 836   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 31, 2007 1:21pm
by nicolas
867-5309
It's a long story, but I am looking for pop songs that feature specific telephone numbers. I figured this group would be a great resource. After Tommy Tutone, what else is out there?
Views: 696   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 30, 2007 6:46pm
by Rune
Bowie VS The Classics
I've started a thread at a message board I used to regularly post at, using the information on this site as a basis - thus I assume it might be of interest to some of you. It's a David Bowie board, and the thread is here: http://www.teenagewildlife.com/Interact/cp...
Views: 668   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 29, 2007 6:03pm
by twister
Bracketology: Week 7
Another week, another set of hard choices. Ballots are due at midnight, Saturday, July 28. BRACKET 25 44. Derek and the Dominos, “Layla” (1970) 85. Led Zeppelin, “Whole Lotta Love” (1969) 172. Donna Summer, “I Feel Love” (...
Views: 1521   Replies: 45
Last Post: Jul 28, 2007 8:03pm
by Slush
What are your favourite instrumental songs (by non-instrumental bands) ?
Instrumental songs... I like that ! Here are some of my favourites : "Let's go away for awhile" - The Beach Boys "Later Monday"- Jon Brion "Phantom" - Broadcast "Pacific theme" - Broken Social Scene "Area 51" - The Charlatans "Nightvision" - Daft Punk "The ob...
Views: 748   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jul 27, 2007 5:07pm
by Harold Wexler
What are your favourite intros ?
A topic not that far from the "What's make a song good ?", I suppose we all have personal favourite songs we instantly fall in love just by hearing the first notes the first time we've heard them. Does the fact that we love a song or not is decided in the 10 (or 20...
Views: 798   Replies: 19
Last Post: Jul 27, 2007 6:28am
by Anthony
The Obscure Overlooked Song Recommendation Game
Ever thought to yourself, "Why isn't this song more popular?" or "Everyone should hear this, it's fantastic!" Well, that's what the OOSRG is for. That one song you just want the whole world to listen to. I think we have around 10-15 active posters here, with 10-15...
Views: 1122   Replies: 30
Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 1:39pm
by Honorio
Which splitted or dead band do you want to play again ?
Since 5 years many bands have borned a second time (Pixies, New York Dolls,...). These days the last ones to do it are Kula Shaker and The Verve. You probably like some splitted bands and secretly hope they play again. Mine are The Boo Radleys, Moose, Elastica, The...
Views: 871   Replies: 26
Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 12:29pm
by Moeboid
Entertainment Weekly 50 Best Love Songs Ever
Here's numbers 50-26, the top 25 is released on Tuesday 50) Mary J. Blige - Be Without You 49) Mazzy Star - Fade Into You 48) Lou Reed - Perfect Day 47) The Zombies - This Will Be Our Year 46) Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody) 45) The...
Views: 726   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 6:55am
by JR
d
David
Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
The last songs are a little bit too slow for my taste but this is the most addictive album i had hear in a long time ago... great accomplish for a 00s album when im listening to Ray charles, King Crimson, Jeff Buckley, Tricky, etc. maybe the best from 00s??
Views: 751   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 12:42am
by John
Ritchie Valens
I'm currently listening to a Ritchie Valens Best of called "The Very Best of Ritrchie Valens" (Music Club) I thought all this guy had done was La Bamba, but I was so wrong. He was a hell of a rocker : dirty sound, lots of wild rocks and strange instrumentals. That's...
Views: 587   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 24, 2007 8:46pm
by Dumbangel
what makes a good song
Reading the bracketology forums, and making my own choices (brackets + my own top 100 in progress), made me think about the subject of this thread. I would like you to answer that question What, in your opinion, makes a good song ? I sorted a certain number of cri...
Views: 733   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jul 24, 2007 8:37pm
by Anthony
61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70