Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which splitted or dead band do you want to play again ?

Since 5 years many bands have borned a second time (Pixies, New York Dolls,...). These days the last ones to do it are Kula Shaker and The Verve.
You probably like some splitted bands and secretly hope they play again.
Mine are The Boo Radleys, Moose, Elastica, The Stone Roses.
What are yours ?

Re: Which splitted or dead band do you want to play again ?

No replies ?

It's a good question, Dumbangel, but I dunno...I can only speak for myself, but I just don't get very excited about band reunions...

I mean, for a couple of years in the early 80s, I was just a rabid Police fan, and I'm glad that the band's current tour has them back in the public eye, because (hold your booing, please) I actually think they're a little underrated. But I didn't go see them last week, because stuff like that always has a warmed-over, Behind-the-Music, go-for-one-last-payday feel to me.

In the spirit of fairness, I guess I ought to answer your question--OK, I wouldn't mind an Uncle Tupelo reunion, unlikely as that is. Also, now that Graham Coxon has released some great solo stuff, I'd like to see him patch things up with Damon Albarn and return to Blur. Offhand, those are the only ones I can think of.

I don't really care if anyone reunites because a group's strongest material is usually the first few recordings. When they reunite the quality tends to nosedive.

The Beatles, but I'm not counting on it.

Bob Dylan! Wait.. he's still playing. M'kay, I'm happy.

Pavement, Talking Heads and The Beatles

Oh yes, Pavement ! I've forgotten to mention it.

When a band reunites, it just screams sellout to me. They know the diehards will come out of the woodwork and buy the album or tickets to the reunion tour, and it doesn't sit well with me.

And don't give me any of that "getting back together for the love of the music" B.S. It's all about the paycheque.

I can't think of any band that has reunited and put out a quality piece of work. Ok, The Verve, but that's it. Any others? Honestly, I'm drawing a blank here.

if they could come back to life and be as they once were, then I'd love to see the Jimi Hendrix Experience on a good night.

As for bands producing good work after reforming, only Faust spring to mind.

Talking Heads, Husker Du and The Smiths. Lots of animosity in all cases, but if the Pixies and the Police could do it, anything's possible.

Reunions that are now impossible but would have been welcomed: the Beatles (obligatory), the Clash, Badfinger.

Hey Anthony:

I haven't heard much of their stuff, but Mission of Burma has been talked about as a band that reunited after 18 or so years and produced solid work.

It is hard to think of others though.

Mission of Burma huh? I'll check them out.

I'm not completely ruling out a Beatles reunion. But if they got back together, could they perform their own songs? Doesn't Wacko Jacko own their catalogue?

Back to Urban Hymns for a second, or as I like to call it, Richard Ashcroft's first solo album. Because really, that's what it is.

That takes my classic-album-by-a-reunited-band count back to 0.

Um, Anthony, what the heck are you talking about re: "not completely ruling out a Beatles reunion"?

The Fab Four -will- be reunited one day, but it will not be in this world...

(After George Harrison's death, the American satirical newspaper The Onion ran a headline that said, "Beatles Reunion 50% Complete". Tasteless, but funny, along the same lines as their "Ebert Wins" headline following the death of movie critic Gene Siskel.)

It was a joke, though apparently not an obvious one. I figured since this is an acclaimed music forum and it's contributors should know at least a little bit about music, that I'd be given the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry, Anthony. Sometimes it's hard on a board like this - where opinions (or opinions offered as fact) are passionate, unpredictable, and occasionally truly off-the-wall - to know what's seriously intended and what's ironic. Apologies for the misinterpretation.

It's not your fault Harold; I really should've been more obvious. And I completely understand where you're coming from; I probably would've had the same reaction had I been in your position. You were probably thinking "wow, this guy's an idiot!".

Beatles Reunion 50% Complete.... that one gave me a good laugh. Quite tasteless, but sometimes those are the funniest.

Good call on Mission of Burma. I would say that Obliterati might have been better as a complete album than anything else they have produced.

Reunion albums are not always crap. I remember having loved the 1997 come-back album of Echo & The Bunnymen. I still even think it's their best album. "Nothings lasts forever" is a classic and Noel (or Liam I'm not sure) Gallagher sings some beautiful "yeah yeah yeah"s in it

I've heard about a Suede reunion. Is it right ? With Bernard Butler ? It would be cool. Suede was so great in the 90s and I love the Butler guitar playing, he did some amazing solos.

One band who could make GOOD reunion shows and album is definitely Jellyfish. In the 90s no one care about them but today they begin to be considered as cult-band by many power-pop aficionados like me.
And the 3 guys are always on the top of their game : Andy Sturmer (with the L.E.O. project led by Bleu), Roger Manning (awesome solo album + many side-projects like TV Eyes, Malibu, The Moog Cookbook, Imperial Drag + musician on stage with Beck), Jason Falkner (brilliant solo career of 3 ou 4 albums + collaborations with Air and Beck). It would be so great they play again together. I love this band.

Would anyone consider the Wu-Tang's upcoming album to be a reunion? It's only been about 6 years since their last one, so maybe that's just an extended break. Plus, I guess they've toured a little bit. That's going to be something special seeing how most of those guys are still at the top of their game.

Neutral Milk Hotel. They ended too early.

Uncle Tupelo

Given what their members did afterwards (Wilco, Son Volt) that'd be great

Neutral Milk Hotel makes me think of Olivia Tremor Control. I want a come-back !
Sunshine Fix is good, Circulatory System is great, but a OTC reunion would be awsomely great !!!

Big Star with Chris Bell rather than Jon Auer. Can't happen of course, but it sure would be cool to see.

i would like to see at the drive in get back together. i prefer them to the mars volta.