Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Am I the only person who thinks this album sounds really dated nowadays? There's only two tracks on it that have stood the test of time, the title track and "Backstreets". The rest sounds pretty bad by today's standards, a bit like a Meatloaf album.

Puzzles me how it's so high up on the AM list. Darkness on the Edge of Town and Born in the USA are better albums imo.

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Jungleland is a song that is still as strong today as it was then (especially the lyrics about loneliness and all).

And what about Thunder Road? One of the most beautiful songs ever written and I'd say also still very strong.

Agreed, Night and She's The One are a little dated, but Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out is still very good and also seems to become more popular.

All in all I strongly disagree with you, with 4 absolutely fantastic tracks (Born to Run, Jungleland, Thunder Road and Backstreets (in order of personal preference)), and 4 other tracks that perfectly fill up the album.. I think it deserves all the praise and belongs in the top 20. It's in my top 10.

it's a pity that you think "by today's standards" and not by your own...

I live in the todays, so maybe you can go with that.

In any case, you dont appear to have much to say.

Excuse me goblin, I've been a little rude,but I was upset by your "in today's standards". Let me try to explain why
I think you meant "in my point of view", because "today's standards" doesn't mean much to me. How can one person decide what "today's standards" are ?
i love "born to Run", it's one of my favorite albums, I don't know if it's the best Springsteen but it's definitely in the top 3 or 4 for me.
Of course, no one would do such an album in 2007, but if you love music, and espacially rock history, you're out of time.
tht's my point of view. i didn't mean no harm

I agree that Born to Run sounds dated... I think most of Springsteen's stuff does. Thunder Road would be a perfect song if it weren't for the horns. That said, I like a lot of songs off of Born to Run. Sounding dated isn't always a bad thing.