Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Good Girl Gone Bad, Umbrella and other Rihanna singles stand a good chance this year.

Do you agree?

Re: Good Girl Gone Bad, Umbrella and other Rihanna singles stand a good chance this year.

Haven't heard that first song yet, but I friggin hate Umbrella. Every time I turn on the radio I hear it.. STOP IT ALREADY, IT'S SHYTE.

Re: Good Girl Gone Bad, Umbrella and other Rihanna singles stand a good chance this year.

I like Umbrella

Hmmm...

do we really think "Umbrella" will garner acclaim? It just seems like one of those ordinary tracks that does great on the charts, but it and the act don't have any sort of real and appealing personality, ya know?

lol this doesn't even deserve a response.... Rihanna is simply a hot girl with a voice, other than that nothin! She shouldn't make this years top 100 songs

She's a Beyonce knock off, plain and simple!

1. You guys just hate Rihanna 'cause she charts. Really, though, "Umbrella" is easily the best track of '07.

2. She's nothing like Beyonce! Her voice is not a traditional good one, like Beyonce, but has a "tic" to it or something. The only thing they have in common (besides obvious physical qualities) is making the best pop single of the year with a guest spot from Jay.

3. Keep in mind that I'm a big Jay-Z fan: Jigga's intro is trash. I like how its short and just at the beginning.

Best Track of '07?

Gessh, if that's truem then music this year really IS at the bottom of the barrel!

And what's charting got to do with anything? Lots of acclaimed acts have been big commercial successes, after all.

That's true JR, but for some reason almost anything commercial that comes out now is written off as garbage, and it seems a lot of people here have that opinion. If you look at the charts most of the critical acclaim in the past 5 years has gone to lesser known artists. There is plenty of good music that gets commercial radio play, I just think a lot of people refuse to recognize it.

Think of all the pop songs from the 60's-70's on the list. If those came out today in some kind of updated form, would they be passed off as radio garbage? I think some might. How about all of Madonna and Michael Jackson's music? The first albums might still be considered great because of the innovation but what about everything after? The really sad thing is that some commercial music does get acclaim... after Pitchfork (or others like it) says it's ok to like it.

Good thing Pitchfork knows whats going on for the most part.

Pitchfork has become FM radio for indie snobs. They tell you what to listen to and people eat it up. Develop your own taste.

Well...

Madge's "Hung Up" got some pretty decent acclaim- but it is stronger and more deserving than "Umbrealla," anyhow, so maybe not a good example. :) I don't think using MJ and Madonna as examples is a good idea in general, especially when talking about an act like Rihanna.

Pitchfork? Forget it, dude. It's Blender Town.

Yeah Pitchfork can get a little snobby especially when a band "sells out" but at least we'd never see Zach Efron as their cover story. Even though he's hot!

Stop hatin'

Pitchfork doesn't care about selling out. Moves to major labels are OK. Timberlake gets top song of 2006. They don't care when bands allow music on commercials and stuff.

P4K may not be perfect, but it better than reading something that gives out good reviews like gospel tracts. Pitchfork's weeding out the trash helps me narrow today's music to the true good stuff and the only work I have to do is get rid of a little bit of overhyped indie rock.

Tell me they didn't name something by Justin Timberlake as song of the year. I enjoy mainstream as much as the next average Joe but if I wanted to hear watered down PG-13 hip hop I'd listen to Will Smith.

"My Love" with TI was #1.

But if it's all about old common snobs and new trino.milked wisdom, I'll still hold The Wire up against the sun.

I like umbrella despite it being a tad annoying. but i think it could be one of those random songs that people remember. Plus Rhianna is hot. I'd give it decent acclaim. and it has charted well