Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BNIT: Week 3

Leave us not forget the last four brackets in the BNIT’s first round. If you haven’t seen a song by now, it ain’t in the BNIT.

Ballots due Saturday, August 25.

BRACKET I
10. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975)
15. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” (1973)
34. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967)
39. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969)

BRACKET J
3. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967)
22. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977)
27. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968)
46. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967)

BRACKET K
6. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936)
19. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” (1989)
30. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965)
43. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” (1983)

BRACKET L
11. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” (1968)
14. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” (1976)
35. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951)
38. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” (1983)

Up next: the semifinals. Since I’ll need to include this week’s results in the final 12, I won’t be able to post them next Friday…they’ll go up on Sunday the 26th, and I’ll extend the voting deadline appropriately.

Re: BNIT: Week 3

BRACKET I
1. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967) - Describing this song will only defile it. A landmark recording for so many reasons.
2. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975) - I think people like Jonathan Richman more than they do his songs. I'm one of those people, anyways, but beyond this track I don't know too much of his material.
3. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” (1973) - I've always found it a little funny how soul artists never seem to have the reverence for music the way that other musicians do. Maybe that's why they're so revered.
4. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969) - I like killer guitar line Stooges (Search and Destroy) better than down and dirty Stooges.

BRACKET J
1. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977) - I once called a girl pretty vacant. She didn't understand what I meant but she still got offended.
2. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967) - I'll never understand why this album is so admired. Sure, it has imagination and some interesting string arrangements, but, really, top 100? I don't think so.
3. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967) - Some jackasses on youtube are calling this the origin of emo. It's not. Emo originated in Hell.
4. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968) - This barbie doll mistakenly conveys all the problems with country music. Sexist, sterile, image-oriented and musically uninteresting.

BRACKET K (holy crap how'd this bracket end up in BNIT!!)
1. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” (1983) - The funny thing about it is the first line in the verse is "Ticket to Ride".
2. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” (1989) - I recently used this as an ambient sound effect in a play for a gay bar scene. I never ended up seeing the play but I never heard any complaints so this must've worked well.
3. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965) - John Lennon says this song was the origin of metal because of its sprawling/droning rhythm section. He's full of crap. Still, good song.
4. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936) - Don't ask me why Robert Johnson's songs are selected out of the thousands of blues recordings to be the best of the best. Still, this one's pretty cool.

BRACKET L
1. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” (1983) - Easy win for androgynous Annie. Board rooms and cows mix on this surreal snapshot of the electronic age.
2. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” (1968) - Sly is the king of BNIT. Sure I'll dance.
3. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” (1976) - Thanks to Will Ferrell this will never be known as anything more than the cowbell song. And to think, BOC probably leapt at the chance to get their song licensed on SNL.
4. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951) - They say it's the first rock 'n' roll song ever recorded. That doesn't mean it's any good.

Bracket I
1. ANN PEEBLES, “I CAN’T STAND THE RAIN”: Two of my all-time favorites are in this bracket, and I have no idea how to choose between them. I’m taking this one because I suspect it’s even more obscure than the Modern Lovers. My favorite soul song of the 1970s, without exception. Sheer joy.
2. THE MODERN LOVERS, “ROADRUNNER”: It kills me to put this one second (why couldn’t one of the songs in this bracket have been in last week’s infamous Bracket G?).
3. ARETHA FRANKLIN, “CHAIN OF FOOLS”: Yeah, it seems strange to rank her behind Peebles…no reflection on this song, which is fantastic—along with “Think” and “Respect,” it’s one of Aretha’s masterpieces.
4. THE STOOGES, “I WANNA BE YOUR DOG”: Well, you can’t. I like Iggy, but the Stooges in general are a little overrated; this is what the Ramones might have sounded like if they had felt a need to be heavy.

Bracket J
1. TAMMY WYNETTE, “STAND BY YOUR MAN”: Second bracket in a row where I can’t decide between the top two. So, in this case, I’ll go with Tammy, because, as politically problematic as her song is, country needs some love around here.
2. SEX PISTOLS, “PRETTY VACANT”: The third-best song on Never Mind the Bollocks. I mostly remember it as the theme song for a very bizarre TV comedy-sketch show called the Vacant Lot, out of Canada—it was kind of a spin-off of the brilliant Kids in the Hall.
3. LOVE, “ALONE AGAIN OR”: I first heard this a few weeks ago—I guess I’m missing something, because it doesn’t seem that special to me.
4. THE BOX TOPS, “THE LETTER”: Everyone’s got a few songs which just don’t click with them. This is one of mine, although I can’t put my finger on why. I hope other voters’ comments will give me an idea of what I’m missing in these last two songs here.

Bracket K
1. ROBERT JOHNSON, “CROSS ROAD BLUES”: This is the oldest song we’ll vote for in either tournament. He sold his soul to the devil, so the least I can do is vote for him. Not only essential, but brilliant.
2. THE BEATLES, “TICKET TO RIDE”: One of my favorite Beatles songs (goofy division), with fine novelty drumming from Ringo.
3. GRANDMASTER FLASH AND MELLE MEL, “WHITE LINES”: Rang dang diggity dang-de-dang. Fun, but a little too didactic for me.
4. MADONNA, “LIKE A PRAYER”: Madonna has had some great songs, but putting her in front of a gospel chorus is like casting Jessica Simpson as Lady Macbeth.

Bracket L
1. JACKIE BRENSTON, “ROCKET 88”: If we were voting on the “first rock and roll record,” this would be my nominee. It’s an incoherent song about girls and cars, after all.
2. EURYTHMICS, “SWEET DREAMS”: The pinnacle of synth-pop, simultaneously luxuriant and ice-cold. Great song (although in general, I liked it better when Annie & Dave started rockin’ out more).
3. SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE, “DANCE TO THE MUSIC”: Fine song, but #3 here.
4. BLUE OYSTER CULT, “(DON’T FEAR) THE REAPER”: Acres and acres of dry ice, far as the eye can see.

I forgot to mention that I Wanna be your Dog has the most phoned-in keyboard line possible.

BRACKET I
1. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975) - A little overrated, but still pretty good.
2. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967) - Pretty catchy I guess.
3. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969) - I prefer "1969"
4. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” (1973) - Not bad.

BRACKET J - Great bracket for the BNIT
1. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968) - A quintessential, iconic country tune.
2. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967) - Great vocal from a young Alex Chilton.
3. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967) - Wonderful 60's pop.
4. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977) - A great one from the Pistols, but last in tough bracket.

BRACKET K
1. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936) - Another iconic American classic. Literally the devil's music.
2. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965) - The beginning of the middle period of the Beatles. Great pop.
3. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” (1989) - My favorite Madonna song.
4. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” (1983) - 4th place.

BRACKET L
1. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” (1976) - This one really got me into music when I was a squirrly junior high kid. Still sounds good now, even if a little silly.
2. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” (1983) - Inspired by the Human League I suppose.
3. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951) - Here for its historical value.
4. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” (1968) - dated.

BRACKET I
1. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967): Goddamn what a voice.
2. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975): 2nd place for having a sound that The Strokes would improve upon.
3. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” (1973): Just youTubed it. Probably the last time I'll ever hear it (if I can help it).
4. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969): Rocks pretty hard, but is rather unexciting.

BRACKET J
1. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967): Sorry schleuse, can't help you out. I like this one; it's just a simple little chord structure with what I hear to be a lazy vocalization "lonely days are gone, I'm-a goin' home". The verses are minor blues disguised as pop, and then the chorus a poppy money shot. A good, no-frills song.
2. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977): See Bracket 42 comments.
3. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967): Speaks to me on absolutlely zero levels.
4. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968): jonmarck said it - this song represents everything that's wrong with country music. It's just so dull musically, I really have no desire to examine it further.

BRACKET K
1. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936) – Wow, what a dilemma: RJ or the Fab Four? Robert Johnson’s total output = 29 songs; Beatles = 300+. Have to go with RJ, simply out of respect for a truly great blues artist (not to mention, one of the most mysterious) and one of the most legendary tales in the history of music.
2. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965): It kills me that I have to put them in 2nd, but it must be done. Great use of drum fills and rhythm changes, and the harmonies are good too.
3. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” (1989): A controversial video (and I loves a good controversy!), but the song is weak.
4. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” (1983): This song doesn’t do it for me.

BRACKET L
1. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951): Has my vote for #1 here and for the first rock song. A double vote! Yeeeeaaah!
2. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” (1983): Not my favorite 80s hit, but not my most hated either. Just floating in the sea of mediocrity.
3. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” (1976): Ahh yes, that classic SNL skit. Credit to Lorne Michaels (or whoever) for plucking this song from the far reaches of 70s rock and turning it into an even bigger joke than it originally was.
4. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” (1968) – I’m just not into Sly, at all.

"Like a Prayer" is Weak?

Ah, I guess each has their tastes. The song definitely deserves to be her most acclaimed track (and is on its way to becoming such at some point).

I haven'ttaken part in this thingie, because I'm not familiar with all the songs that are listed. haha

BRACKET I
1. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975) - The first two of this bracket could win some brackets in the big tournament.
2. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969) - Great Pop Song.
3. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967) - Respect for Aretha.
4. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” (1973) - Nice, but not in it's league.

BRACKET J
1. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967) - How easy can a choice be?
2. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967) - This is okay.
3. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977) - The title says it. Below mediocre.
4. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968) - Please go ride some cows. Redneck music.

BRACKET K
1. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965) - Even lesser Beatles can win brackets.
2. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” (1989) - Good disco.
3. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936) - This is old!! Respect!
4. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” (1983) - sigh.. it's them again.

BRACKET L
1. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951) - Didn't know this song. It really swings! I'm putting it at the top!
2. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” (1976) - nice atmosphere.
3. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” (1968) - Actually very danceable.
4. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” (1983) - Who am I to disagree?

You know JR, it’s really easy to stand on the sidelines and criticize, but I suggest you take some time and ask yourself if you’re really in a position to make comments such as the one you wrote.

Maybe I’m just spitballing here, but if you’re going to contribute to a website devoted to acclaimed music, perhaps you should know a thing or two about it. Your lack of contribution to Bracketology (along with your own acknowledgement of unmiliarity with this music), shows that you don’t.

It’s troubling that I feel a need to validate your comments with a response, but frankly, I’m growing really tired of people like you coming on this site and making judgments, when you’re in the least position – musically or intelligently – to do so.

Yikes. Someone's got their panties in a twist.

Oh, and JR, if you don't know any of the songs, just do as jonmarck does and YouTube the shit out of it. That way, you can contribute to Bracketology.

I:
1. Roadrunner - Love that sound
2. I can't stand the rain - Not bad at all
3. Chain of fools - I like some of her stuff but this is one just OK.
4. I wanna be your dog

J:
1. Alone again or - one of my favourite albums.
The rest are pretty mediocre IMO.
2. Pretty vacant
3. Stand by your man
4. The letter

K:
1. Cross road blues - I think I would rather listen to this one than the rest.
2. Ticket to ride - just Ok
3. Like a prayer - not Ok but I'm not familiar with the other.
4. White lines

L: (Not a fan of any of these songs really)
1. Don't fear the reaper - I guess I have to put this ahead of the others. This is the one I would choose if I had to.
2. Sweet dreams - Decent beat
3. Rocket 88 - Good rocker
4. Dance to the music

I'd Say So...

panties or sumthin' else. All I stated was a sort of disbelief that someone would think that particular track wasn't a good one (since that one seems to be loved by most people who aren't even big fans of hers)- and that obviously everyone has their tastes- which is a very fair statement, cause it's true!

There was no need for you to say personal shit directed toward me because of that (i.e. "muiscally or intelligently"- WTF is up with that.)

I wasn't aware it was a crime to not be familiar with *every* track that appears on the AM site. Some of us don't have the time to track down every track we haven't heard. I'd love to it, just as I would like to listen to some CDs that I've bought and haven't even listened to yet because of time issues.

Please think a little bit befoe you make some of the statements you do.

You're absolutely right - my comments were harsh.

I don't know about everyone else, but it would be cool to get more insight into your musical tastes (eg. why would you rank Madonna higher?) That said, it would be really super awesome if you could post to Bracketology. I'd love to read your comments!

Thanks...

for saying that. I appreciate the interest in getting some of my musical tastes- it's pretty varied, actually- lots of CDs in my collection. Like Isaid, I wish I had more time to listen to em!

Why would I rank Madonna higher in that particular bracket? Robert Johnson's track is the one I'm unfamiliar wiht in that one (possible I've heard it and don't know it to identify it, you know?) "Ticket to Ride" is a decent track- but not one of the Beatles' best- and "White Lines" is a good one, too, but there's just something powerful about "Like a Prayer"- it's as heavenly as a pop track can get (no pun intended to the title).

One day (or days) when there does seem to be time, it would be cool to sift through the top 3000 (and even those bubbling under) and mark down the tracks I'm not immediately familiar with.

Wow. Sarcasm does not come across well on the page.

Yes, using "haven't heard it before" is definitely a valid reason for ranking a song lower than another.

Ok, I'm a hypocrite. I forgot that I've used that rationale once (maybe twice) in Bracketology (although, when I did use it, the song got 2nd in its bracket. Heh)

Anyways, this entire argument is ridiculous. In all sincerity, JR, please try and find time so that you can post Week 12 picks, come Friday.

Mmm, Anthony, I don’t want to stick my nose where it’s not wanted. But it’s no fair in my opinion to reproach someone his degree of involvement in AM Forum. Of course participating in the forum is absolutely voluntary, and JR is one of the first (and more faithful) forum posters, having contributed with a lot of lists and comments. It’s up to anyone of us to choose the sections of the forum to participate. In fact, Anthony, your involvement in the 90s poll has been quite limited, but I’m not the person to judge you…

Bracket I
1)The Modern Lovers - Roadrunner:Heard it first by the Sex Pistols,hardly anything amazing but enough to win this bracket
2)Aretha Franklin - Chain Of Fools:She could sing the pages of the telephone book and it would still be sensational,this is a pretty good song
3)Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand The Rain:I thought I remembered this as an awesome song but I just listened to it now and don't like it...
4)The Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog:It's no 'Search and Destroy'

Bracket J
1)Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant:Destruction of rock n'roll - NMTHB's 3rd best song is still strong enough to beat all here
2)The Boxtops - The Letter:Always play it when I have 2 minutes to fill in - was Chilton really only 17?
3)Love - Alone Again Or:Sounds really average fluff to me
4)Tammy Wynette - Stand by your man:If you want to piss me off,this is the song to play

Bracket K
1)Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel - White Lines(Don't Do It):Musically and lyrically such a great achievement,almost as good as the Message for me
2)The Beatles - Ticket To Ride:My favourite Beatles track pre-1966 probably...bit of a Byrds influence in there
3)Madonna - Like A Prayer:Great,great video - the song carries on too damn long though but still,one of her best
4)Robert Johnson - Cross Road Blues:Historically significant maybe - but I just don't enjoy listening to it as much as the others here...

Bracket L
1)Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper:I've only got the live version - but it's white hot,another great Byrds influenced track
2)Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams(Are Made Of This):Great synth pop track although maybe more needed in my collection than wanted...
3)Sly & The Family Stone - Dance To The Music:Fun track,but doesn't strike me as exceptional
4)Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88:Not a track I'm a huge fan of...

No, no Honorio, by all means, stick your nose in.

First of all, I’ve been aware of this forum for about a year, but only an active participant for the last couple months or so. And yes, my involvement in the 90s poll has been limited (if not nonexistent), however, I tend to lean towards polls that encourage active (and intelligent) participation, not just those that require a list without any explanation. Like scheluse remarked in the infancy of Bracketology, anyone can slap a list together – we’re all quite capable. Which leads me to Bracketology…

I love it and the appeal to me is the commenting aspect of it. Not only do the comments equal a vote, but it’s where the “meat” truly is. To be quite honest, I really could care less which song comes out on top at the end of this little tournament; it’s of little importance to me because I don’t think it means anything. What I do enjoy is not only giving my comments, but reading everyone else’s comments, because it may lead me to reevaluate my own choices. Moreover, I find that it distinguishes those who are true music listeners from those that just hear music. The people in the first group know who they are, and these are the people that I respect on this forum.

JR – perhaps you are an active contributor to this forum, with lists, comments, and whatnot. Good on you. My personal opinion, however, is that it’s not quantity, but quality that counts. And I agree, where and when a person to chooses to involve themselves in the forum is absolutely their choice, however, JR’s criticism (or comment, whatever) of my Madonna ranking was uncalled for, on a few grounds. Firstly, since he did not post, I have no way of questioning his rankings. To call me out (so to speak) from the sidelines was quite cowardly. To that I say, post your bracket picks! Show me, and everyone else, how much of a music fan you are. Tell ME why Madonna deserves the top spot, but don’t just criticize because you can. If you can justify why Madonna should go ahead of a blues legend, and arguably the greatest rock n’ roll group of all time (and do it in an intelligent way), awesome! I totally respect that.

And a little criticism I can handle – I’m a big boy. But when I read something like “I haven't taken part in this thingie, because I'm not familiar with all the songs that are listed”, I get a little irritated because I feel that it’s an unwarranted opinion. I certainly don’t expect anyone to be familiar with the top 3000 songs on this site, but I do expect the top 256 songs to be in most of our musical vernaculars. It’s like saying “I don’t like Harry Potter, but what do I know. I don’t read books.” Sometimes there is such a thing as an uneducated opinion.

I hope this gives a sense of where I’m coming from.

Yes...

something like that *would* be an uneducated commentary. I don't say I don't like a certain act or artist if I haven't heard them- I can't imagine anyone saying such a thing (likening that analogy to the Harry Potter/books comment).

My apologies if you think my initial comment was "uncalled for"- it wasn't meant to be a critique of your tastes. I honestly was a little shocked to see you label it as a weak track- that's all. Though your follow-up comments were far more uncalled for- but, that's water under the ol' bridge. And, believe me, I love music and consider it to be my favrotie form of entertainment- of course there are going to be music lovers of higher degree/level, that have heard more music- but let's not let that get in the way of cebrating our love for the medium!

Now let's get back to the task at hand, criticizing those more successful than us.

Yes, lets! Group hug?

BRACKET I
1. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969), one of the best titles ever
2. Ann Peebles, “I Can't Stand the Rain” (1973), felt vocal interpretation
3. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967), force soul
4. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975), pre-punk

BRACKET J
1. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967), poetry mariachi
2. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967), a very effective pop firing
3. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968), viva country music
4. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977), much competition in brack

BRACKET K
1. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936), scent to smoke, bleeds and tears
2. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don' t Do It)” (1983), ok
3. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965), begins the experiments
4. Madonna, “Like to Prayer” (1989), peculiar

BRACKET L
1. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dances to the Music” (1968), irresistible
2. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951), pioneer
3. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (of This Plows Made)” (1983), typical sound of the 80
4. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don' t Fear) The Reaper” (1976), ok

I got a boner during the group hug. Is that OK?

BRACKET I
1. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” - Overlooked track on "Lady Soul" album. A real slow burner.
2. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” - Sounds like Lou Reed's younger brother. Not necessarily a bad thing.
3. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” - Good ol' rock 'n' roll energy, but not the greatest song ever written.
4. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” - Never really got into this one too much. It's OK.

BRACKET J
3. The Box Tops, “The Letter” - Alex Chilton had a lot of soul, and it all comes out here.
2. Love, “Alone Again Or” - Great pop with all sorts of strings and orchestration. Makes me want to listen to the whole album again.
3. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” - "And we don't care." Just another punk phrase from "Bollocks" album, but this track isn't one of my favorites.
4. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” - I don't hate this one as much as some, apparently. But it was probably dated even in 1968.

BRACKET K
1. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” - Not one of the best Beatles tracks, but it's still the f**cking Beatles. Sounds like a song the Byrds could have covered well.
2. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” - Weak track. Just kiddin' JR, it's pretty good and by virtue of a weak bracket it's numero dos.
3. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” - I like old-school blues, but this one strikes me as slight compared to some of his other tracks.
4. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” - Just say no. Stick with "The Message," here he's trying too hard.

BRACKET L
1. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” - Funk celebration, I'm down with that.
2. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” - Hard to describe why this one's good; it's weird and catchy at the same time.
3. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” - A shuffling jazzy blues piece that's good but not great.
4. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” - Wow, this is dreamy, in a cheesy stadium rock kinda way. Not necessarily a good thing.

BRACKET I
1. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967) – By coincidence, this bracket contains two iconic protopunk songs produced by John Cale. I’m splitting the difference and awarding #1 to this non-slick slab of pure gutbucket R&B that became a deservedly huge hit because of Aretha’s popularity.
2. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975) – Ranks higher than Iggy mostly on the strength of Jerry Harrison’s fabulously fuzzed-out organ.
3. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969) – I wish this song was in a weaker bracket, even if it isn’t my favorite Stooges track.
4. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” (1973) – One of the great soul singles of the seventies, but outshined here.

BRACKET J
1. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967) – A masterpiece, magnificently arranged and beautifully sung by Arthur Lee as if he really didn’t care that the lead track on his magnum opus was someone else’s song.
2. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967) – How many other career arcs begin at the top of the pops and then slide into cult obscurity? When he was 16, children by the millions really DID scream for Alex Chilton, and here’s why.
3. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977) – A good single that, let’s be honest, would probably be forgotten if not for who recorded it.
4. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968) – I don’t hate it, but I also can’t imagine ever thinking that I need to hear it right now.

BRACKET K
1. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965) – One of their greatest singles, with Ringo and lead guitarist (!) Paul in rare form.
2. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936) – Johnson is one of those “legacy” artists who probably shouldn’t be forced to compete in a forum like this. This is one of his greatest songs, but still #2 here.
3. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” (1989) – A good single that becomes great when the choir kicks in and it really -does- become a prayer.
4. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” (1983) – Like “The Message”, an iconic early rap track that I need to get into more.

BRACKET L
1. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” (1976) – Another longstanding favorite from my classic rock-loving youth. One of those tracks that overwhelms the entire rest of a band’s catalogue, even a quirkily good one like BOC.
2. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” (1968) – There’s no reason why this “here’s one instrument, now here’s another, etc.” call-off should be so good, or have been such a hit. Both are due to the sheer exuberance of the thing. All the squares go home!
3. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” (1983) – Once heard, never forgotten. Signifies “The ‘80s” like few other songs, but holds up remarkably well, as does most everything else they did.
4. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951) – I don’t know it that well, but I suspect it would #4 regardless.

BRACKET I (Only one clear great song here)
34. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967) (This is the clear standout track in Franklin's career. Much better than "Respect." Maybe because it's overplayed, but I hear soul in this track, whereas with "Respect" I mostly hear just sass.)
39. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969) (Fair, not good. But presaged some better stuff from Iggy and his progeny.)
10. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975) (Overrated -- both the track and Jonathan Richman.)
15. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” (1973) (I prefer the Missy Elliott version, and even there it's nowhere near her best work.)

BRACKET J (Very good bracket)
1. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967) (I'm a sucker for an over-arranged pop-rock. I love it each time the strings melt away to leave just the sole guitar (although I wish the production were better there). I only have Love's first album. This song makes me wonder why I don't have Forever Changes.)
2. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968) (Her gulping vocals in the verses opens up to full throated in the the controversial chorus -- mirroring the song's lyrics. Loretta Lynn was clearly the greater artist from this time period, but this is a fine job by Wynette.)
3. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967) (Well crafted, for such a simple song. And good vocals.)
4. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977) (Not one of my favorite tracks from the album. Memorable chorus, forgettable verses.)

BRACKET K (Good bracket)
1. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” (1989) (This song should have been a complete disaster. When the song starts, and it's just her and an organ, and she's struggling to stay in pitch, you think this can't end well. But the drum machine kicks in. The arrangement swells. At the end, the potentially disasterous gamble to pair Madonna with a gospel choir and a real singer pays off. The song swells to pure bliss.)
2. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965) (A bit draggy. Not fast enough to really move, not slow enough to luxuriate in the harmonies. But that's a minor quibble. An average Beatles song is still better than just about everything else.)
3. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” (1983) (When I was a kid, and Nancy Reagan was in her "Just Say No" kick, I was terrified of drugs. I rmember once in class a teacher asked everyone to raise their hands who would never take drugs. Everyone raised their hands but me, because I was worried that a dealer was going to force me to take drugs. (When people talked about peer pressure, I thought it was something far more sinister.) I love to contrast my abject fear with the poppiness of this number. It's the sunniest, most fun song about destroying your own life of all time.)
4. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936) (I am not out to cause the downfall of all precursor classics from the tournament. If Sly wasn't in the next bracket, I'd have happiliy put Rocket 88 1st. But I'm sorry, I just don't hear the devil in Robert Johnson. I know he's important. I know he's one of the founts of rock. I've just heard other blues artists who have moved me, and Johnson does not do it for me.)

BRACKET L
1. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” (1968) (So great. I play this for my three-year old daughters and they love it. I think I still have child's delight over this song.)
2. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951) (This is a great song. Holds it own 5, 10, 25, and 55 years later. I know it's Ike Turner's achievment, but I do really like Brenston's vocals.)
3. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” (1983) (I love it that a song this strange made it all the way to #1. I mean Annie Lenoxx just strings together a few non-sequitors. It's as synth-mad as anything that the 80's has given us. And it's good.)
4. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” (1976) (I''m sorry to diagree with a number of you on the board. I honestly respect everyone's opinion here. But IMHO, this song is just the biggest pile of crap. Boring vocals, stupid lyrics, bland arrangement. It's only use in this world has been the "More Cowbell" sketch.)

BRACKET I
1. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967)- The Queen of Soul's voivce- at its peak- could elevate just about anything to a higher plane. "Chain-chain-chain..."
2. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975)- A peppy track
3. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” (1973)- She's got a good voice, but I think I like Tina Turner's version better (albeit it's more slick and polished).
4. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969)- Any track with a title like this is interesting by default- but I don't feel it like I do a lot of the others in these brackets.

BRACKET J
1. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967)- I dig this track a lot- the shifting sounds make this a lot of fun.
2. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967)- Like "Roadrunner," this makes for good traveling music.
3. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968)- While the lyrics are a cause for concern (what is it she's supposed to forgive, exactly)?, there;'s no denying it's a classic. Also not fond of the "he's just as man" line, but...
4. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977)- Not a bad track, but I don't find this to be as great as some of the others.

BRACKET K
1. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” (1989)- This track should be the template for the orgasmic heights pop music can reach. Sure, she may not have had the biggest voice to stand in front ofa gospel choir, but you know what? She pulls it off (and sounds damn near angelic in the verses), and the song is crafted near perfectly. It has drama, it has innuendo, it has religion (M said the song itself was about a girl's relationship with God), and the video adds racism into the mix. Like a lot of Madonna's music, you can't help but get inages of the video when you hear it- and that onlyt enhances the listening experience.
2. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” (1983)- A great party track, and a definite pioneer of the early rap days.
3. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965)- A fine track in the Beatles cannon- just not as notable/fantastic as the two above it.
4. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936)- A good bluesy track, but not my cup of tea, at least compared to the other three.

BRACKET L
1. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” (1968)- Such a fun track- love how the music is given the spotlight here (incidentally, Madonna utilized this in her Girlie Show tour, during "Everybody"- Sly & the FS influenced her back in the day).
38. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” (1983)- The ultimate Eurythmic track- one of those that stand out for the 1980s.
3. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” (1976)- Like the airy, light, melodic tone of the vocals. LIke Love's track, good shiftage of sounds (light and quiet to loud and boisterous, for instance).
35. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951)- A cutesy number. Don't see anything THAT special about it.

BRACKET I

1. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967)**** : I was a little hard on Lady Soul last time. She deserves this 1st place
2. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” (1973)**** : oh how I love this kind of bluesy soul
3. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969)**** : Sorry Iggy I love you but I prefer soul music
4. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975): dunno

BRACKET J
1. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967)**** : i love love
2. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977)
3. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968): I'm here to defend GOOD country music not that Nashville pop country
4. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967) : what's this ?

BRACKET K
1. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936)***** : well in the first place I didn't want to do the BNITS but I saw Robret had a chance. Well, even if I don't really like that version (I prefer sweet Home Chicago or hellhound's on my trail)i HAVE to put it first. the blues, and most of all prewar blues, is probably the most expressive music I have ever heard. Cross roads is hard to hear and wouldn't be the best ambassador of the genre but the song is a legend; but as Mighty Mo Rodgers said "No one sold their soul/ Cause blues ain't devil music/You need to let that lie go". blues is much more than a legend. Believe me, it's based on true facts.
2. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965): gentle
3. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” (1983): connais pas
4. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” (1989): no Madonna. i always have the feeling that music is not what matters for Madonna

BRACKET L

1. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951)***** : very ideological choice. i don't think it was the first rock'n roll song; I guess it musit have been Choo Choo Ch boogie by Louis Jordan in 1945, or Move it on over by hank a few weeks later ? Anyway, boogie woogie existed even before the first blues recording (1920) and rock'n roll is nothing but boogie-woogie, so this quarrel has no meaning; but anyway everybody has his own first rnr song ever recorded. For me it's Louis Jordan
2. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” (1968)*** : great dance song, Sly wasn't quite stoned when he made it
3. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” (1983): I thought I hated the 80s but in fact everytime a song comes up on these brackets I realized it is not so true
4. Blue Oyster Cult“(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” (1976): don't know that song. I used to like BOC 15 years ago

BRACKET I
Even in the 1-256 game this would be one of the best brackets.
1. Ann Peebles, “I Can’t Stand the Rain” (1973) - For those interested, the whole album is great!
2. Aretha Franklin, “Chain of Fools” (1967) - A kick start of the Lady Soul album.
3. The Stooges, “I Wanna Be Your Dog” (1969)
4. The Modern Lovers, “Roadrunner” (1975)
Two important moments of rock before "I was there", but I still get a lot out from them.

BRACKET J
1. Love, “Alone Again Or” (1967) - Trumpet!
2. The Box Tops, “The Letter” (1967) - This song was once in the AM all-time top 100, but is now only no. 300. An indication that it's a bit dated perhaps, but nevertheless it's a lovely song.
3. Sex Pistols, “Pretty Vacant” (1977) - "...and we don't caaaaaaare" Oh, I do, I do!
4. Tammy Wynette, “Stand By Your Man” (1968) - WORST LYRICS EVER!

BRACKET K
1. Madonna, “Like a Prayer” (1989) - Not my favourite Madonna song, but it deserves its classic status.
2. The Beatles, “Ticket to Ride” (1965) - The comment for 'Like a Prayer' fits in here too
3. Robert Johnson, “Cross Road Blues” (1936) - I guess this is hugely important, but I wish I had something like Edith Piaf to vote for instead
4. Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel, “White Lines (Don’t Do It)” (1983) - As much as I love 'The Message' I cannot understand the acclaim of this song

BRACKET L
1. Eurythmics, “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” (1983) - The RHYTHM + the synths + Annie's vocal = one of the best songs ever made
2. Sly and the Family Stone, “Dance to the Music” (1968) - Party!
3. Blue Oyster Cult, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” (1976) - Very smooth and nice. Great harmonies!
4. Jackie Brenston, “Rocket 88” (1951) - I miss Piaf again...

BRACKET I

I can't stand the rain - I first heard the Tina Turner version and I thought it was good, than I heard the original and it was even better
Chain of fools - Aretha is always good and this is one of her best songs
Roadrunner - Nothing special to me
I wanna be your dog - I never really liked the stooges, I prefer Pop's solo work

BRACKET J

Alone again or - Best song from an amazingly good album
The letter - Nice '60's song
Stand by your man - Even this is better than the sex pistols
Pretty vacant - The sex pistols mean nothing to me

BRACKET K

Like a prayer - Madonna at her best
White lines (don't do it) - Best of grandmaster flash
Ticket to ride - A not really special song by the beatles
Cross road blues - Good blues but just a little bit old

BRACKET L

Sweet dreams (are made of this) - Very good synth pop. One of the best songs in it's genre
(Don't fear) The reaper - I just like it
Dance to the music - Nice party song
Rocket 88 - Not familliair with this but it doesn't sound bad