Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
r
Robert
The album that saved your life
OK...So maybe not that extreme. Perhaps an album that helped you out of a very dark time. An album that held so much meaning and power that you started to live your life by it's offering's. We've all been there. Who (what?) was there with you. BOB DYLAN - Blood...
Views: 775   Replies: 14
Last Post: May 20, 2008 8:40am
by Stephan
h
Henrik
AM album recommendations
I have started working on an Excel sheet where you can add ratings for each album at AM and get recommendations for what to listen to next among the albums you haven't rated. The recommendations would be based on the albums' appearances in critics lists. If there...
Views: 1041   Replies: 32
Last Post: May 20, 2008 4:17am
by ChrisF
r
RR
Views: 664   Replies: 17
Last Post: May 20, 2008 4:11am
by ChrisF
Philadelphia Experiment speculation
Admiral Schleuse has devised two games so far – one using songs (Bracketology) and one featuring artists (Survivor). Is an albums game right around the corner? Also, remember back to the Sweet 16 Preview; schleuse’s post on Nov. 5: “Oh, I g...
Views: 1082   Replies: 25
Last Post: May 20, 2008 3:45am
by Moonbeam
o
OLE
Richard/Linda Thompson
Wouldn't it be more accurate to have an artist page for Richard and Linda Thompson each, and put the albums they collaborated on in each?
Views: 366   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 19, 2008 6:02pm
by Stephan
b
Bonds
Top 40 Charts-Top 100 Hip-Hop Songs Poll
http://top40-charts.com/features/top100_greatest_hiphop2.php 1. White Lines (Don't Do It) - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five 2. Walk This Way - Run DMC & Aerosmith 3. Rappers Delight - Sugar Hill Gang 4. Fight The Power - Public Enemy 5. Fight For Your...
Views: 598   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 19, 2008 4:06pm
by Henrik
AM Survivor: Week 26
Consigned to outer darkness: 14. Stevie Wonder (49) 13. The Kinks (44) Haven’t walked into the light yet: R.E.M. (42), Prince (41), Jimi Hendrix (38), Neil Young (28), Radiohead (27). IMPORTANT REMINDER: Starting next week, we’ll be down to our...
Views: 952   Replies: 31
Last Post: May 19, 2008 10:07am
by Moonbeam
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 14
Thanks to most of you for formatting like I asked! It made it a lot easier and this will hopefully be mistake free from now on! I'm sure the rest of you just missed it in a hurry but please look at the rules which explains how to format your nominations so it's easy...
Views: 545   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 18, 2008 5:33am
by Daniel
r
RR
Why do some genres of music get ignored?
For example, jazz receives a relatively small amount of attention, along with say classical, in comparison to rock music on this site. If you go to rateyourmusic.com, jazz gets its due, alongside rock music, but the music critics seem to shun jazz music, according to...
Views: 460   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 16, 2008 9:21pm
by Fred
Salvador Santana going on Tour
Hey everyone Salvador Santana is going on tour If you don’t know who Salvador Santana is, he's a latin rock/funk/alternative artist He's a great musician and singer, so check out his tour if he's coming to your town Check Salvadorsantana.com for the to...
Views: 404   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 16, 2008 7:15pm
by nicolas
albums which have been overlooked by reviewers 2008
Supergrass - Diamond Hoo ha This is a great album, far better than most of the tripe I have seen in the Metacritic top 20. Avishai Cohen Trio Havent seen mention of this at all by critics, seems they're all stuck on the Pitchfork bandwagon these days....
Views: 628   Replies: 13
Last Post: May 16, 2008 2:45pm
by Moonbeam
r
RR
Kind of Blue
I do like the album, Kind of Blue. However, I never understood why it has been considered to be so far superior to other classic jazz albums from the same period, such as Mingus Ah Um, Time Out, and A Love Supreme. Could somebody explain its superior importance so th...
Views: 457   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 15, 2008 6:07pm
by Anthony
Help with Alain Bashung
This is a message for all the French AMers. My brother Jesús writes a weekly review about an album or DVD for a local newspaper of Ontinyent (the village where he lives). The ones that understand Catalan (I mean, nobody on this forum) can read some of his review...
Views: 529   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 15, 2008 1:07pm
by Honorio
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 13
There are six songs going this week but one was supposed to go last week. To prevent stupid mistakes like that (not saying it won't happen again!) could you all follow this format so I can plug it into Excel and sort? I've been doing this by hand because it's faster...
Views: 591   Replies: 22
Last Post: May 15, 2008 1:03pm
by schleuse
My favourite Spanish song of 1971: Joan Manuel Serrat’s "Mediterráneo"
(atendiendo a una petición de Miguel; por cierto, tío, me encantan tus listas, no solo revelan un gran conocimiento del mejor pop y cantautores sino sobre todo un criterio realmente propio) (as requested by Miguel; by the way, man, I like your lists a lot,...
Views: 1106   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 14, 2008 6:44am
by Honorio
h
Henrik
Views: 1832   Replies: 102
Last Post: May 14, 2008 6:19am
by nicolas
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 12
Yellow Submarine, the song is saying it's last farewells but the album just hung on this week, one vote away from saying bon voyage. I'm a fan of Hey Bulldog so I'd like to stay on board for a little longer at least but if you guys want to cut the rope, we'll cut the...
Views: 580   Replies: 15
Last Post: May 12, 2008 9:40pm
by John
Augustus Pablo - King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown
Is this a 1976 release? It is on this site, but I've seen on a couple of other sites 1977 quoted.
Views: 298   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 12, 2008 7:07pm
by Stephan
AM Survivor: Week 25
Out in the drink: 16. Johnny Cash (50) 15. The Clash (47) Still on the beach: Stevie Wonder (39), Radiohead (36), The Kinks (34), Jimi Hendrix (34), R.E.M. (29). Here’s a decade breakdown of our remaining artists: 1960s: 8 (Beach Boys, Beatles, Dylan...
Views: 1135   Replies: 37
Last Post: May 12, 2008 9:24am
by Mitchell Stirlin...
s
STEFAN
UPDATE : 01/05/08 : MEGA-CRITIC : Best Reviewed Albums Of 2008 So Far (With Competition)
To all sceptics still challenging 2008 to be a good music year, for comparison here a reminder of the 2007-EOY Top 3 with their adjusted scores, average rating and number of reviews : 01. 73,79 - 83,31 (26) Arcade Fire ´Neon Bible´ 02. 72,49 - 82,23 (24...
Views: 2599   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 11, 2008 3:31pm
by orangebeaker
r
Rune
Got the hots for Rolling Stones
For years I've made my own paths, sort of, through the music jungle, ignoring the most well-known and loved artists, like Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones. Then I decided to try something new. Someone in here, I don't remember who, mentioned that they were buying...
Views: 586   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 10, 2008 10:55pm
by Stephan
j
Jonah
Discovering the originals
Has anybody been innocently listening to a band or an album for the first time, and lo and behold, a song that isn't a cover plays that you've heard before. I think it's a profound listening experience when that happens, especially if the cover is pretty darn good t...
Views: 491   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 9, 2008 7:19am
by Snusmumrik
HENRIK!!!!!!
Henrik, thanks so much again for this site. It's amazing. I've discovered so much music on it! I used to read Julian's Rock Lists and wish there was a big list that made sense, and then you made one, and it still made no sense at all, with Rod Stewart albums on it...
Views: 624   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 9, 2008 5:22am
by mismaiome
Tributes
A few days ago, as I was making my way through a downtown complex on my way home from work, I looked up and saw my old manager from the first music store that I ever worked at. He was making his way through a set of glass doors and passed right by me but didn't see...
Views: 485   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 9, 2008 5:06am
by mismaiome
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 11
Yellow Submarine is hanging on it's last thread with Hey Bulldog. Although, it had a slim chance to stick around long anyway for multiple reasons, #1 being the number of songs it represented....and I don't think if the orchestral songs were allowed we'd be in a much...
Views: 618   Replies: 20
Last Post: May 8, 2008 8:58pm
by John
n
N/A
Best
1)See No Evil 2)Venus 3)Friction 4)Marquee Moon 5)Elevation 6)Guiding Light 7)Prove It 8)Torn Curtain Is there a more solid tracklist of any album in history? 'Revolver' has Good Day Sunshine and Yellow Submarine 'OK Computer' has Fitter Happier 'Sgt....
Views: 398   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 8, 2008 6:03pm
by Kevin
The Rub : histtory of hip-hop 1979-99
New York Dj's the Rub host a radio show on Brooklyn Radio called "history of hip-hop 1979-99" the list is long, but I think it should be included in AM. Anyway, it's interesting for those who want to dig in hip-hop history. Another question : I'm reading Charli...
Views: 476   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 7, 2008 9:00pm
by Vgrd
f
Fred
Your favourite Swedish albums and songs
Here's the place to post your favourites! My favourites: Albums: Bob Hund - Omslag: Martin Kann Atomic Swing - A Car Crash In The Blue Ebba Grön - 1978-1982 * (collection) Komeda - What Makes It Go? Cardigans - Life * Cardigans - First Band On Th...
Views: 727   Replies: 17
Last Post: May 7, 2008 12:49am
by Fred
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 10
It's funny, the further we go the more we agree. Has anybody lost a song you'd place in the top 10 of the Beatles catalog? I see some songs being nominated that I'd place in my top 20-30 but nothing top 10 yet. A few extras this week due to a tie at 11 votes a piece...
Views: 601   Replies: 20
Last Post: May 5, 2008 9:16pm
by John
AM Survivor: Week 24
Bon voyage: 18. Led Zeppelin (46) 17. Elvis Costello (46) In the waiting room: The Clash (40), Johnny Cash (36), Radiohead (36), The Kinks (35), Stevie Wonder (31). I don’t have any brilliant observations this week, so I’ll just break down the f...
Views: 1010   Replies: 39
Last Post: May 4, 2008 8:55pm
by mismaiome
Comparison based formula for best reviewed albums of year: April
This is a formula I came up with to factor out the skewed distribution of scores albums get, especially near the top. The idea was to even out the power of every vote, and here are the results so far. I thought I'd either get this out way before or way after mega...
Views: 511   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 4, 2008 5:30pm
by Andre
A Yearly Chart On A Daily Basis, Thread 4
Hello all. MC Stammer here with the year that was 1966. The year of "Revolver", "Pet Sounds", "Blonde on Blonde", and of the Beatles becoming more popular than Jesus. Before we get to the main course I'd like to begin with the biggest loser of the week. This song lan...
Views: 1663   Replies: 77
Last Post: May 3, 2008 7:16am
by Henrik
What happened to pop music?
In my crappy part time job counting inventory I spend a lot of time at stores like CVS being forcefully exposed to pop music. So I'm hearing a lot of the chart toppers, and hating most of them. But if you go back just ten years to the post grunge period, a lot of...
Views: 872   Replies: 23
Last Post: May 1, 2008 6:21pm
by Greg Rumpff
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 9
Five songs this week leave the island and we really wanted them gone. All the leaving songs received at least 11 points. I also want to give a thanks to all of those who have actively been participating every week (and those who have joined recently). I've been think...
Views: 545   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 1, 2008 5:49pm
by Greg Rumpff
Portishead on Metacritic
So, what would THIRD's Metacritic score be -without- that incredibly harsh (30!) BLENDER review? Because even with the 30, that's pretty damn impressive (as I write, it's at 84, with 28 reviews), especially for the first day of release. (Has it been available in th...
Views: 786   Replies: 23
Last Post: May 1, 2008 9:01am
by orangebeaker
k
Kevin
Your favourite albums of this decade so far
My list will be somewhat biased due to the fact that I tend to favor Radiohead albums just because there my favourite band. so here we go. Thanks for leaving a list if your decide to, your entries will not be taken lightly. I intend to seek further information on...
Views: 1487   Replies: 54
Last Post: May 1, 2008 12:30am
by netjade
a
Andre
Foals? Foals!
Ready for the next British hype? Another one of those back-to-the-80's-revival bands? Or is this gonna stay with us for a longer time? Anyway, I'm talking of a new refreshing band from Oxford, called Foals. Their debut album, Antidotes, has a Bloc Partyish sound a...
Views: 513   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 30, 2008 9:30am
by Snusmumrik
j
JR
New York Magazine: Cultural Works That Best Defined The City...
Since This Magazine Began, 1968-2008. Scarce on new lists that have been posted, so I figured I'd post this. Here are the musical works cited: Velvet Underground, Velvet Underground (1969) Patti Smith, Horses (1975) The Ramones, The Ramones (1976) Televis...
Views: 864   Replies: 15
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 7:22pm
by Punker Idiotisch...
r
Rune
Tribute band name generator.
I made a post earlier where I translated songs into one language, then another, and then the same way back. That was great fun, so I wanted to do it again. This time I've taken band names and even personal names of some of the most acclaimed artists. They are transla...
Views: 762   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 6:32pm
by Rune
Anyone want to write album reviews?
I work for a newspaper and have been writing album reviews for more than four years now. With somewhere between 350 and 400 individual reviews under my belt, I’ve been thinking about starting a Web site. Thing is, I don’t want it to be just my reviews. I...
Views: 743   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 29, 2008 12:33am
by Nan
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 8 (with updates!)
This week I'm going to count down the eliminated. Does everybody prefer for me to every time? Luckily, Chelsea's votes spared us from six 6 pointers and a close call list of 5 point votes. Eliminated When I'm 64: 10 points For You Blue: 9 points Blue Jay...
Views: 590   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 9:07pm
by John
r
Rune
Which musicians do you share your birthday with?
I'm born on March 18th, which means I share my birthday with the following musicians: Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov (born 1844) - Classical composer Smiley Burnette (1911) - Country musician Pat Halcox (1930) - Trumpet player (Chris Barber's Jazz Band) Charley Pride...
Views: 873   Replies: 41
Last Post: Apr 28, 2008 6:18am
by Honorio
AM Survivor: Week 23
Out to sea: 20. Talking Heads (45) 19. Marvin Gaye (42) On the beach: The Kinks (31), Led Zeppelin (30), Elvis Costello (30), Johnny Cash (27), The Clash (27). You may have noticed that the point totals keep getting higher. The number of voters has increase...
Views: 1222   Replies: 64
Last Post: Apr 27, 2008 8:47pm
by nicolas
What's the story with Led Zeppelin on Acclaimed Music Forum
Enough with the Beatles, Dylan and The Stones. It's obvious that these artists did great work in different ways. In my experience on this forum Led Zeppelin seems to have a lack of respect compared to what the mainstream thinks about them. I like Led Zeppelin man...
Views: 710   Replies: 17
Last Post: Apr 27, 2008 3:01am
by Greg
s
STEFAN
Mega-Critic-Competition : Win A CD : The Clues
There are only two more days left (deadline = 25th) to guess the highest new entry into the Mega-Critic-Chart (publication = 30th) and to enter the chance to win that CD. So far the following guesses are noted : Mitchell Stirling : Portishead Sketch and Pengu...
Views: 693   Replies: 11
Last Post: Apr 26, 2008 8:33am
by SuperFurry
question about rankingson Acclaimed Music
So, how are the album/song rankings determined on this site? That's all.
Views: 572   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 25, 2008 10:12pm
by mismaiome
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 7
No extras this week, but somehow three of us including the guy who is running this whole thing forgot that HONEY DON'T WAS ELIMINATED, and only one of us realized to fix that error. I don't think it would have mattered too much. This week seemed like Chuck Berry Su...
Views: 773   Replies: 22
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 10:35pm
by Chelsea
a
A.Lee
Beatles
This site has the Beatles as #1 of all time? What are you joking? The Beatles as the best group is like how tennis was played with wooden racquets - all you can do is compare to the artists of the time(several of whom were better also). But you can't compare them to...
Views: 832   Replies: 26
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 8:37pm
by mismaiome
r
Rank1
Stones and Dylan Why?
I want people to convince me why the The Rolling Stones and Dylan should be higher than the Beatles. In this musicians ears I am appreciative of what they did though techinically and innovation they lagged way behind the Beatles. Dylan, Richards, McGuinn and Wilson a...
Views: 875   Replies: 33
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 7:43pm
by Greg
t
Tobey
Top 10 Artists of All Time
1. Chuck Berry 2. Beatles 3. Bob Dylan 4. Rolling Stone 5. Velvet Underground 6. Who 7. Kinks 8. Sex Pistols 9. David Bowie 10. James Brown
Views: 1138   Replies: 14
Last Post: Apr 24, 2008 7:26pm
by JAZZRA
c
ChrisF
F*&^ the pain away
How was this not the number 1 acclaimed song of 2000? It's electronic; has a great video; and I'm sure had to have been played at a lot of parties where people did cocaine. Must've fallen through the cracks somehow.
Views: 613   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 10:16pm
by Moonbeam
s
STEFAN
UPDATE : 01/04/08 : MEGA-CRITIC : Best Reviewed Albums Of 2008 So Far (With Competition)
The current position is followed by last month´s position in brackets, then the adjusted score, followed by the average rating and the number of reviews in brackets. The scores after the title are the individual positions/adjusted scores for Europe, the UK an...
Views: 2197   Replies: 26
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 10:14pm
by Midaso
Hey Stephen
Have you played The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard, from 1998?
Views: 425   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 3:45pm
by Stephan
Albums you're conflicted about
What albums do you have the most mixed feelings about? For me... 1. Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual. On one hand, it has a few really good songs on it. On the other, it also has Girls Just Want To Have Fun, the irritating song that I'm forced to hear on the...
Views: 602   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 23, 2008 12:47am
by Stephan
r
RR
Reliability of acclaimedmusic.net
I was just curious to know how reliable music connoisseurs find this list to truly be.
Views: 668   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 22, 2008 10:15pm
by Beans
l
lagire
french book cd guide
hello henrik, i'm french and your site is fantastic. in my country, i have found a cd guide named "le guide du cd" which graduate albums(1-5 stars) from beginning of rock'n roll to 1997.(near from 13000 reviews in all styles) there is 3 editions (1995-1996-199...
Views: 816   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 22, 2008 2:30pm
by Henrik
before and after 30
The "Perfect Careers" thread inspired this question: Rock and roll is like a sport: past the age of 30, everyone's performance starts to decline. Has there ever been a rock artist whose work in their twenties wasn't better than their work in any other decade of th...
Views: 792   Replies: 24
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 7:31pm
by Slush
h
Henrik
AM wiki / help / FAQ
I would like to collect all particularly useful information in one or a few sticky threads. 1. Wiki This would include links to anything that stands out as useful information, from the main site or from the forum. Something like this and this. 2. Help A speci...
Views: 400   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 4:28pm
by Stephan
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 6
Alright, no more begging. I'm just crossing my fingers that we get some more participants later in the competition or this might implode. Again, no comments are needed so you won't be trashing songs you like. Just listing them in order of preference and having some c...
Views: 750   Replies: 22
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 3:20pm
by tfguenther
c
ChrisF
What role does British/American music play in your country?
I guess my question is for those from non-English speaking countries. What role does music from America/Britain play in your country relative to native acts singing in the native language. Is it mixed in, more played, or do you have to seek it out?
Views: 602   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 2:08pm
by Rune
AM Survivor: Week 22
This is a milestone week for Survivor, as we’re down to our final 20 artists (which I think is about what most “real” reality shows start with!). In a sense, everything up to this point has been preliminary; now we have hard, hard choices to make....
Views: 1416   Replies: 74
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 10:31am
by LonesomePanda
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band
I've tried, I really have, I've even tried to get all the way through Trout Mask Replica, but gave up after I got to Pachuco Cadaver (7th song I think). I am truely baffled at how this album, or the group for that matter, has received any acclaim whatsoever. Is th...
Views: 1373   Replies: 22
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 6:32am
by Midaso
Unscrabble List: The Top 20
I apologize for the delay…it’s time for the top 20 of the Unscrabble list. First, a recap of where we’ve been. Remember, the Unscrabble list rewards artists who: - recorded in relatively under-represented periods (roughly, pre-1964 and post-19...
Views: 872   Replies: 35
Last Post: Apr 21, 2008 3:24am
by Moonbeam
j
John
Views: 1532   Replies: 89
Last Post: Apr 20, 2008 9:50pm
by Henrik
c
ChrisF
Diamond Hoo Ha
Haven't heard it; probably won't for awhile, but best album title of the year dammit!
Views: 593   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 20, 2008 2:43pm
by orangebeaker
lg vx3300 ringtones
Money quote from macworld though id start watching my lg vx3300 ringtones family. Very attractive ringtones by akon acquisition talks broke your eye on the dominate the truth - add. Now ring tones ringtones im agreeing and drops kathy griffin. Figure ringtone convert...
Views: 343   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 20, 2008 6:50am
by Moonbeam
reviews : Vampire Weekend, Syd Matters..
Hi, 2 reviews I made in the etat-critique site Vampire Weekend here In a few words, I say I love the first 5 or 6 songs, but then it drops a little Syd Matter's Ghost Days here Syd Matters is a very interesting French artists with a very personal so...
Views: 539   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 18, 2008 9:58pm
by BillAdama
The Most Influential Rock Band in the last 20 years
No Beatles references here. Here are my top ten in no order Nirvana Pixies Radiohead U2 Radiohead Metallica Oasis Pearl Jam Stone Roses R.E.M
Views: 963   Replies: 23
Last Post: Apr 18, 2008 4:39am
by Stammer
r
Rune
What else but music things do you do?
Just a little get-to-know-you-better-post. Most of us in here are pretty interested in music, I guess, but what else do you guys like to do. I'm really into running right now. Great fun. I've been doing some orienteering the last couple of years, and I'm planni...
Views: 1194   Replies: 61
Last Post: Apr 18, 2008 2:52am
by John
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 5
There was a little confusion about the deadline time last cut. It's 2pm central time which equates to an 8PM timestamp on this board I believe. I also ran into something that I forgot to think about and somehow haven't run into until now. Ties! I think on Schleus...
Views: 626   Replies: 15
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 11:04pm
by John
m
Max
Help me build a music collection from scratch
I'm in a foul mood, because I just accidentally wiped my iPod (i know, you wouldn't think it possible), and I'm away at uni, so that which I own a hard copy of, I don't have access to. *stops typing to scream at the top of his voice* My pocket is currently 11,...
Views: 741   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 7:30pm
by Max
k
Kevin
WTF is this sh*t!
Great title eh? I thought it would be interesting to find out everyones "WTF is this shit?" moments. Use this thread to present an album('s) that you had played for a friend or heard from a friend. There response being "You actually own something like this"....
Views: 784   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 3:01pm
by schleuse
r
Rank1
Why Is Magical Mystery Tour so low?
I thinks this is their third best album behind Rubber Soul and Revolver. Sgt Pepper has Sgt. Pepper Reprise/A Day in the Life though I don't feel it is as good or innovative as Magical Mystery Tour. "Magical Mystery Tour": Intruguing mix of stomping rock/R+B rhy...
Views: 820   Replies: 27
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 1:22am
by mismaiome
k
Kevin
Perfect Careers
What Bands or solo artists due you think have left a perfect life of music behind them. A Career with no mis-steps (ALL Perfect 5/5 star albums) The Velvet Underground - It stands to say that I think (The Velvet Underground & Nico) is better then the rest, because...
Views: 745   Replies: 19
Last Post: Apr 17, 2008 12:59am
by mismaiome
h
Henrik
www.music-map.com - a great site
Taken from the website: "the music-map is a part of gnoosic gnoosic is a part of gnod Gnod is a self-adapting system that learns about the outer world by asking its visitors what they like and what they don't like. In this instance of gnod all is about music...
Views: 482   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 12:35am
by Harpo
When is the All-Time Albums List Expected to be Updated?
I just found this site and love the all-time 3000 Albums list but noticed it didn't include 2007... and sorry if this was asked already a thousand times, but just curious when the next update to that amazing list will be? Thanks again. And fantastic site. Hope...
Views: 404   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 16, 2008 12:03am
by Stephan
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 4
Sorry this is after some of your bedtimes! My boss was in today so I didn't get to pull out a piece of paper and start tabulating until a few minutes ago. As you will notice the elimination votes are a lot lower. Part of that has to do with some of the obvious so...
Views: 659   Replies: 21
Last Post: Apr 14, 2008 6:21pm
by John
Where is the biggest selling albulm of all time??
Apologies if this has already been posted but i couldn't see it after a quick scan. Am i going crazy or can i not find Michael Jackson's 1983 release Thriller on the list? I even searched 1984 and still no mention. Surely the biggest selling albulm of all time (wh...
Views: 678   Replies: 21
Last Post: Apr 14, 2008 3:20pm
by Greg Rumpff
AM Survivor: Week 21
Defenestrated: 26. Nirvana (34) 25. Pixies (30) 24. Elvis Presley (25) (You get the feeling Elvis is looking at his fellow evictees and feeling very confused?) Still around here somewhere: Miles Davis (24), Sly and the Family Stone (20), Otis Redding (18),...
Views: 1254   Replies: 74
Last Post: Apr 14, 2008 2:49pm
by schleuse
k
Kevin
If the decade ended now
What albums do you think will be represented on most critics lists Arcade Fire - Funeral Radiohead - Kid A The Strokes - Is This It Wilco - Yankee Foxtrot Hotel LCD Soundsystem - sound Of Silver Sufjan Stevens - Illinios Arcade Fire - neon bible All obvio...
Views: 705   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 13, 2008 11:20pm
by Rune
Sounds like cascada?
yeah... if u like Cascada, there is a compilation series you should check out called "Euro Club Hits" -- it's pretty clear that dance music is coming back around the world -- just check the recent big American hip-hop and R&B hits which are clear rip-offs of the...
Views: 526   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 13, 2008 1:38am
by netjade
Dance Radio Linkz!
yeah... if u like dance radio , there is a compilation series you should check out called "Euro Club Hits" -- it's pretty clear that dance music is coming back around the world -- just check the recent big American hip-hop and R&B hits which are clear rip-offs of...
Views: 514   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 12, 2008 9:34pm
by nizetry
The Unscrabble List
It’s time for another manifestation of my obsessive-compulsive disorder. I blame this one on nicolas, who got me thinking with his (half) joking comment that being a 1960s artist counts for triple points, as in Scrabble. I posted an appreciation of nicolas&#...
Views: 1166   Replies: 58
Last Post: Apr 12, 2008 7:46pm
by Stephan
The (Comparison based) best reviewed albums of the year
I finally decided on a formula for it. Before I post the list, I should explain the intent of this different formula. I was looking at things like Metacritic and Mega-critic and thinking if you base the rating on just a weighted average, it gives more power to ex...
Views: 450   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 12, 2008 7:21pm
by BillAdama
close encounters
Here's a chance to shamelessly name-drop. What AM artists have you actually met, or at least seen up close? Not counting concerts--I'm talking about seeing them taking their kids to the park or ordering fish in a restaurant or checking out of a hotel. Doing norma...
Views: 645   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 12, 2008 8:48am
by Snusmumrik
l
Luke
about pics with Kord
I'm looking for pics with Kord. I'm infatuated about girl from Kord. She's so so pretty. I saw her pics on www.bestmusictop.com at bestpicture and i think she's the great girl in my life. I love her!
Views: 800   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 12, 2008 12:33am
by Stephan
r
RR
Why is Led Zeppelin III so low
I and III both deserve to be in the top 100. Even though III caught people off guard upon its release, haven't people realized after almost 40 years that its still on par with 1, 2, and 4?
Views: 581   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 11, 2008 6:44am
by nicolas
c
ChrisF
My how time passes!
Has anyone else noticed that it seems like only yesterday, you were checking for updates of 2004 songs? That's when I first started coming to this site and now it's 2008!
Views: 567   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 11:35pm
by ChrisF
p
Paul
SHOWDOWN: Beatles Covers vs. Dylan Covers
I think this could be an interesting thread. I'm not concerned about quantity, I'm looking for quality. 1. What are the best ever covers of Beatles songs? 2. What are the best ever covers of Dylan songs? 3. Whose songbook of covers is more impressive? Pl...
Views: 793   Replies: 33
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 9:29pm
by John
p
Paul
A Yearly Chart On A Daily Basis, Thread 2
Hello all, the year is 1957 and we're back on the air. Let's start with a real rouser: Muddy Waters has his mojo workin' (but it just don't work on you):
Views: 1867   Replies: 107
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 9:21pm
by Honorio
Musical Palette - Melody Composing Tool
Please take a look at my program Musical Palette - Melody Composing Tool. The program is based on the composition theory and harmony theory The site of the program is located here: Screeshot fo the progrramhttp://www.palette-mct.com
Views: 352   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 7:46pm
by Paul
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 3
No big surprises this week. Let's get some more participants this cut! Remember, all you have to do is make your list: Comments are not required. They are gladly welcomed and enjoyed by all, but all I need is a list. Everything should be right with the discography no...
Views: 658   Replies: 15
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 6:36pm
by Honorio
Odessey & Oracle
Just looking back at the album poll and was wondering if a few people ever ended up picking up (or grrr, downloading) this great, great '60s album. Schwah, Stephan - I'm looking at you guys (only because you both mentioned an unfamiliarity with it). Ok ok, I'll...
Views: 1480   Replies: 88
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 5:13pm
by Schwah
m
Miguel
Live versions better than the original studio songs: Our Individual Lists
In general, I don’t usually like live albums, but sometimes they contain versions even better than the original studio songs. Here is my list in chronological order: 1. The Rolling Stones: SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL – The Killer Festival. Altamont, 1969 (b...
Views: 553   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 10, 2008 4:11am
by Midaso
k
Kevin
Quick Question
Is it unreasonable to have your top 10 of this decade to start like this 1)Arcade Fire - Funeral 2)Arcade Fire - neon Bible 3)Radiohead - Kid A 4)Radiohead - In Rainbows I know most dont feel this way, and it boths me I have no fillers to put between. when...
Views: 482   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 9, 2008 11:34am
by Andre
k
Kevin
Reunions!
Recently there has been a surge of reunions in the music business. Some have been decent, but none have been great. my question to you is, which bands would you like to see reform, and do you think they still have the stuff to put out a great record. For me: My...
Views: 555   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 9, 2008 4:31am
by Stammer
d
Dan M
Q Magazine - 50 Years of Great British Music
This was in the March 2008 edition of Q Magazine. Some albums and tracks in there haven't appeared on their previous lists. The writers/critics of Q Magazine have a tendency to change their minds once in a while (which is just normal, I guess). Amy Winehouse is a goo...
Views: 2262   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 8, 2008 11:31pm
by Henrik
r
RR
Machine Head
I noticed that it was omitted from Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All TIme. That seemed quite glaring to me.
Views: 570   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 8, 2008 9:59pm
by RR
Which 60s albums I don't have are most essential?
I'm catching up on the 80's stuff I've missed with this board's contest, I'm using last year's contest to catch up on the 90's. Next year I figure I can do it with the 70's, and that only leaves pre-1970 and 2000-2004 where my music collection is sorely lacking in d...
Views: 593   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 7, 2008 11:47pm
by Rank1
e
EHF3
Blue Map Group!
So checking out the local stadium's show listing today I see "Blue Man Group: How to be a MegaStar Tour 2.1" and I was like holy crap. I decided on posting this here because I know they do music-related stuff too, (they do Baba O'Riley) and was wondering if anyone ha...
Views: 506   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 7, 2008 10:06pm
by EHF3
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64