Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reunions!

Recently there has been a surge of reunions in the music business. Some have been decent, but none have been great. my question to you is, which bands would you like to see reform, and do you think they still have the stuff to put out a great record.

For me:

My Bloody Valentine: Well...This is kinda cheating because they do in fact have a record on the rise. I was a huge fan. Judging by the 5 songs Kevin Shields put forth to soundtrack Sophia Coppala's modern day masterpiece LOST IN TRANSLATION. Its more then apparent that he still has the skills. As long as that perfectionist side of him didnt disappear, then I think we're in for something magical; even if the whole shoegaze thing has passed us by.

Pavement: Greatest band of the 90's? Debatable! One things for sure, Stephen Malkmus has never stopped making great music. His latest with the Jicks proves he is still capable of amazing pop arrangments and lyrics as intellegent as anything around. what he lacks however is that raw indie rock sound that pavement always provided without fail. Sure everything after Wowzee Zowzee seemed to pale in comparison. but your talking about comparing to some of the greatest albums ever recorded. I think they could make something awesome if they ever reunited

Re: Reunions!

My Bloody Valentine would be interesting - they'd probably sound completely different nowadays...

lol...Yeah it's gunna be absolutely crazy. I just dunno about critical reception. I imagine everyone's expectations are sky high. I just hope it doesnt get overlooked because of the inevitable comparisons to the classic LOVELESS.

I'd like to see N.W.A. back together.

Pavement would be cool to go see but I don't know if a new album would be good. Same goes for the Talking Heads. Both bands I'd love to see but I don't believe they could put out a good album.

A lot of reunions people are clamoring for wouldn't really be much more than another solo project from the head honcho of the band. If said head honcho's solo albums are mediocre, most likely the reunion album will be too. Right?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Simon and Garfunkel studio album. I'd also like to see Guided By Voices come back and continue to make albums, or at least wish that Robert Pollard would make a GBVesque album. NWA would have the best chance of actually making a good album.

It's too bad, most of the bands that I wanted to see reunite either did and made a terrible album, or somebody died. Reunions rarely turn out for the best. I'm sure it's nice for the band and hardcore fans who will pay to see the show but for the rest of us, it's not much to get worked up about.

Speaking of reuniting, The Feelies are going to be playing a few shows.

Do you consider playing a few shows reuniting? I don't. I consider that screwing around and having fun for a few nights. I don't consider it reuniting unless there is an album made with new songs.

While I do agree that it is tough for reunions to recapture the spark that made the band special early on I think the success rate of reunions has slightly increased in recent years with bands like Dinosur Jr, Mission of Burma, Wire, and Buffalo Tom putting out material that rivals their peak years and imo, Buzzcocks and Bauhaus releasing decent albums. So there is some hope. And then there is The Stooges

I do agree that I think a Pavement reunion would be less than special at least on record. I think Malkmus songwriting has "matured" so much since the early days that the most we could expect is a return to "Terror Twilight" which was essentially a solo album anyway.

With Pollard which GBV would reunite? Membership in GBV was a revolving door for 20 years with most of the same people also involved in his solo work. I thought "From a Compound Eye" and "Normal Happiness" were very GBV like and also pretty solid.

What I am amazed at is the number of 40+ artist putting out good work like all the arists above, Nick Cave, REM, Gutter Twins, Fleshtones, New Model Army, etc.