Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's the story with Led Zeppelin on Acclaimed Music Forum

Enough with the Beatles, Dylan and The Stones. It's obvious that these artists did great work in different ways. In my experience on this forum Led Zeppelin seems to have a lack of respect compared to what the mainstream thinks about them.

I like Led Zeppelin many of the bands I like were influenced by them. I like their early work of combining of hard rock blues and psychedelia example "How Many More Times" and "Dazed and Confused". "Communication Break Down" reminds me of punk rock. For the influence they have I don't feel they are well respected here. Any opinions?

Re: What's the story with Led Zeppelin on Acclaimed Music Forum

Led Zeppelin undoubtedly rocks. They're probably the best at what they do, with some of the most memorable hard rock songs, best riffs, and one of the most distinctive sounds out there.

I just don't rank them as high as those bands you mentioned, Beatles, Dylan, and Stones.

As for the forum as a whole, I've noticed that very heavy guitar driven music is less appreciated in general. Jimi Hendrix is proportionally less appreciated here too. This forum is more geared to ecclectic pop.

Led Zeppelin STOLE tons of music without giving proper credit. Willie Dixon is just the tip of the ice berg.

They were definitely talented musicians and they did a lot with the music that they stole.

But they also were just a little too bombastic and pompous. While there is definitely a strong need in the world for stolen music that appeals to 16 year old boys, it is not the kind of stuff that gets celebrated by music nerds (which is what this site is about).

Forget Led Zeppelin. Let's talk about someone like Nelly.

They appeal to the same age groups, after all. And Nelly has a more refined sense of music.

I guess for me they're like the Eagles and maybe The Beatles - when I first heard them I was crazy about them,but just tired of them...

They are one of those bands you love as a high schooler, think you're too cool for in college and come back to them and realize how good II and IV actually are.

At least that's how they are for me.

LZ may appeal to teenagers but almost everybody i know who like them are adults, so i think it doesn't have to do with the age group but that with time you may get tired of it because of its style.

The fact is that they are ranked 5th in the artist list and HTWWW has a 97 score in metacritic. It’s just a matter of taste, some don’t like their bombastic and guitar driven style, for others that is they appealing factor.

I like Led Zeppelin I and III the most. The folk stuff of III of "Thats The Way" and the way out Psych-Hard rock of "How Many More Times" and "Dazed and Confused". The use of the violin bow though Page was not the first to use it was greatly used on both songs. I think they were a better straght hard rock "Communication Breakdown" than I straght blues band "Since I have Been Loving You".

I disagree and believe that LZ is highly celebrated by music nerds.

"I disagree and believe that LZ is highly celebrated by music nerds."

Quietly I think. Or maybe I'm confusing music nerds with hipsters.

There are all sorts of music nerds, but my guess is that those nerds who truly "celebrate" Zep do so with a large trace of irony. There is certainly nothing original about being an LZ fan. They're kind of an obviously popular band that even the most clueless could figure out to like. Therefore, straight up LZ appreciation by the music nerd is unlikely (unless there is some kind of nostalgia at work).

It is true that Led Zeppelin is probably the best band teenagers are actually willing to listen to.

I think I, III and IV are their best. II I used to love but now I find kind of boring. It's a bit too hooky and doesn't have the same quality riffs the rest of their early stuff does.

As far as appreciation for LZ by music nerds is concerned, I would put them in the same ballpark as the beatles, hendrix, the stones etc.

Those other bands aren't really "celebrated" by music nerds. They are acknowledged to be good, but don't really get the nerd any special cache. No reason for a music nerd to say "Look at me, I'm listening to the Stones."

Would you mind, dear (presumably) north american or north american influenced visitors, avoiding to distinguish between "Nerd" and "Jock" music here on this site again? Or at least between "Indie" and "Rock"? (not livin' in 1986 anymore, y'know) Thankyou... Respect. And. Love.

would you mind, dear (presumably) non-native english speaker, explaining what you mean by "avoiding to distinguish between "nerd" and jock"?

elites.

join in on a discussion some time, i think you'd be surprised.