Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
reviews : Vampire Weekend, Syd Matters..

Hi,
2 reviews I made in the etat-critique site

Vampire Weekend here

In a few words, I say I love the first 5 or 6 songs, but then it drops a little

Syd Matter's Ghost Days here

Syd Matters is a very interesting French artists with a very personal sound, sort of mix between Nick Drake, Pink Floyd and Radiohead
hIs album is a long dive in the dephts of introspection. It is a love it or hate it album. Sometimes you give in and you find it beautiful, sometimes you resist and you find it boring and hollow
Very strange

Re: reviews : Vampire Weekend, Syd Matters..

Wish I read French, but I'm sure they're good. But I do have to say that "Walcott" and "The Kids Don't Stand a Chance" are equally strong to the front end of the album.

I agree Nicolas. Vampire Weekend is very top heavy but those first six songs are great. It's the perfect album to own on vinyl, don't even have to flip it over . Nah, I listen to the whole thing, but I know what you're saying.

Rocky,

You're right about those last two songs, they are really good.In fact I say in my review that the first 6 are brilliant, but then it drops a little, songs get a little too academic and less personnal, "One" being a Talking Heads imitation, and "Bryn" and "Stand corrected" are more academic indie pop songs à la Sufjan or Arcade Fire, but then it gets better in the end.

I like VAMPIRE WEEKEND just fine, but I'm hoping that on Stefan's next Mega-Critic list DIG, LAZARUS, DIG!!! takes its rightful place ahead of it at the top. Cave's album is, by far, the best thing I've heard so far this year. It's amazing that after over 25 years in the business he's been doing his very best work within the last four years, with ABBATOIR/ORPHEUS, GRINDERMAN and now this one. Now if he would only lose that moustache ...

Dang right DIG LAZARUS DIG is the best of the year so far. Not to many artists out there today that have the balls to slap an audience with a record like this anymore. Lyrically it's amazing, but its the seeds that make this a 5 star album. The seeds ooze with mid life angst, pounding like they wanna be 25 all over again. This is the best Nick Cave and the bad Seeds album ever!, but Im sure we havent had our last great nick cave quest.

No More Shall We Part is closer to my heart.

Vampire Weekend has been slowly sliding down my list but it's still pretty near the top. Still probably a shoo-in for my year end top 20.

There are some really good songs on it but "Blake's Got A New Face" is a contender for the 'O-Bla-Di' award for 2008.

(The O-Bla-Di award, of course, goes to the song responsible for the most forward skip button taps.)