The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WTF is this sh*t!

Great title eh?

I thought it would be interesting to find out everyones "WTF is this shit?" moments.

Use this thread to present an album('s) that you had played for a friend or heard from a friend. There response being "You actually own something like this".

We all have our weird taste's, and to outsiders (Top 40 listeners) we are all crazy.

Re: WTF is this sh*t!

The Flying Burrito Brothers - Gilded Palace of Sin :Played it to a buddy that was checking out my vinyl collection. He thought the cover looked funny and when I played it for him, he was shocked...lol. he liked the humour and the music. He just thought music like this was only played in hillbilly mountain country. My response was "It's Country Rock at it's absolute finest"

The Velvet Undergournd - white Light/white Heat: Played it my mother on Vinyl. She was a fan of the very laid back 3rd (Self Titled) velvet album. She couldnt believe it was the same band. In Fact I think she disowned the band entirly.

3 Days Grace -(Dont Know the album name) : Buddy played it in his car. My response " Wat a talented lyricist". I Pulled the cd out of the tray, snapped it in half, and gave him 15 dollars....lol

Yeah all the time with my parents - I'm playing 'Marquee Moon' or something and they're like what's that rubbish? Only one of the greatest albums of all time...

I think a bit of my mom died when she heard Billy Corgan's voice...

And "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" consistently impresses people.

I have a friend who still gives me crap about the time he visited my apartment and Doc at the Radar Station was on...that was about 20 years ago.

Inspired by the ongoing '80s poll, I've been making mix CDs of each year. On the way home from work the other night with the guy a car pool with I was playing the 1981 disc I had just burned. When "Ghost Town" came on, he just couldn't stop ragging on it, saying how annoying it was. Later he said he was sorry for bitching so much. I said he didn't have to apologize for his lack of good taste in music.

Never share a car with that guy again.

My pop tastes are the only thing that gets sneers but only my wife really hears my music. But, she likes to tell all my friends about the pop music I like. I don't hide my music tastes!

I've heard a few WTF-is-this-sh*t!s when I've been playing the guitar myself. Sadly, my lack of talent is only matched in size by the belief that I one day will become a rock star anyway.

My kids are 4 and 6. They LOVE Ghost Town. The six year old says it has lots of different sounds and the 4 year old says it sounds like Scooby Doo. Not sure what that means for the song, but they really have no preconceived notion about what music is supposed to sound like. There other favorites are bluegrass and Beach Boys.

Great idea!

I like a lot of stuff that would likely get the WTF reaction out of some members here (Roxette, Kylie Minogue, Dannii Minogue, even the Milli Vanilli album), but I sense that the aim of this thread is to suss out what stuff that isn't so mainstream gets a perverse reaction out of unwilling bystanders.

My wife is usually quite open-minded when it comes to the music I like. She used to hate The Velvet Underground & Nico though, saying it was just noise for the sake of being noise. Somehow, through playing some David Bowie, Roxy Music and others, she came to appreciate that kind of music a little more. However, Can's Monster Movie was simply too much for her to take. After that experience, I played her Nico's Desertshore and The Marble Index hoping to get a classic WTF reaction, but to my surprise she liked it! She was puzzled herself, and asked to hear VU again, and this time, she enjoyed it! I guess it took Malcolm Mooney's unique vocal talents to make Lou Reed et al to sound like a symphony.

They happen all the time haha, a couple that stand out in my memory are Dinosuar Jr.'s "Little Fury Things", which "doesn't even sound like music in general" according to my buddy, whose tastes are so pop, he's pop-fly. I also played Kraftwerk's "Trans-Europe Express" in my garage while I was chillin' with my dad and a few friends. My friends, who listen mostly to rap, thought it was cool, but my dad said it was the stupidest thing he ever heard. "Can we put on something that's at least the same language?" he asked.

I have to agree with Dinosaur Jr. I've never understood the appeal.

That’s hilarious, Paul.

DAPHNE: That settles it! It must be Roddy Radiation who’s the Ghost! He’s been closing all the clubs in London!

[SCOOBY and SHAGGY enter carrying the defeated form of the Ghost, subdued and bound with very thin ties.]

FRED: Look! Scoob’s captured The Ghost!
DAPHNE: But Roddy’s been with us the whole time!
VELMA: Then it couldn’t be Roddy! But who…? [pulls off The Ghost’s mask]
SCOOBY: Bwuh?!
SHAGGY: Zoinks! It’s Margaret Thatcher!
M. THATCHER: [glowering] Yes, all right, it was me! I incited all the fighting on the dance floor! And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn’t been for you meddling kids! You’re on national assistance, probably! How else could you afford that van?
VELMA: It all makes sense! She must have done it while we were all out shopping for porkpie hats!
DAPHNE: Well, we’ve put a stop to that!
SCOOBY: Hehehehehe!
R. RADIATION: Thanks, kids! I’m so happy we’ll be able to play music inna de boomtown again!
FRED: No problem, sir! You won’t have to worry anymore about London becoming a…[beat] “Ghost” Town!
ALL: Ha ha ha ha!