Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help me build a music collection from scratch

I'm in a foul mood, because I just accidentally wiped my iPod (i know, you wouldn't think it possible), and I'm away at uni, so that which I own a hard copy of, I don't have access to.

*stops typing to scream at the top of his voice*

My pocket is currently 11,000 or so songs lighter than it was about an hour ago. By a cruel twist of fate, the relatively small amount of music that was living here on my laptop was also deleted earlier in the week, as the system was recovered after Windows corrupted itself.

As po'ed as I am, it is also a strangely liberating experience. My musical slate has 100% been scraped clean, and I'm now considering what to do about it. Any suggestions?

Re: Help me build a music collection from scratch

Start a group on facebook, invite everybody you know, and ask the members to send you a cd each. You might be this months internet legend.

There's no way to recover the data on those iPod harddrives?

Get the 3000 most acclaimed songs of all time as you slowly also get the acclaimed albums they're on, if applicable. Tell schleuse and me that you got there before us. Then get the 3000 most acclaimed albums. Then get all the great esoteric albums that aren't on Acclaimed Music, but can be found in places like Rate Your Music. While you're doing this, also, get all good renditions of the works of all the important classical music composers. And make sure you read Milton's "Paradise Lost".

I'd be surprised if anyone could obtain the top 3000 acclaimed albums in less than 8 years...

How much time do you give to the songs?

Songs - I guess that could be completed in a year or less with (il)legal downloading...

Downloading cuts the fun in two.

Yeah I guess so

Low tech solution:

Visit car boot sales and buy loads of really cheap music, even if it's just on cassette (which you can then use to tape songs from the radio)

And I almost forgot: get everything bubbling over on Acclaimed Music too. Some of the songs there are amazing. Rosie and the Originals' Angel Baby is the first to come to mind.

It's an intriguing prospect - but I'm already no more than scraping by on a flimsy student budget, so a project to actually buy all 3000 songs, let alone albums, would be futile at the moment. But it's something to aim at!

Fine. Then download them all, get horrible karma, and then buy each of them as you go along in life so you can be redeemed.

Good music is worth the risk of eternal damnation. Just don't forget about the "saving your soul" part as soon as it becomes feasible, yeah?

^^*makes conscious effort to remember to save soul*^^