Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Perfect Careers

What Bands or solo artists due you think have left a perfect life of music behind them. A Career with no mis-steps (ALL Perfect 5/5 star albums)

The Velvet Underground - It stands to say that I think (The Velvet Underground & Nico) is better then the rest, because I consider it the 2nd greatest album of all time. However (White Light white Heat, The Velvet Undergournd, and Loaded) are all perfect albums. Each rings with an innovative intensity that has rarely been passed to this day. A Very influencial band, and as sad as it makes me to say this: maybe Lou Reed left at just the right time. why spoil a perfect thing.

Also note : I do realise an alternate version of VU release a record after loaded, but the band didnt have lour reed or John Cale so IT DOESNT COUNT

NICK DRAKE - 3 Perfect albums In my opinion. Five Leaves left, Pink Moon, and Bryter Layter. Musically and lyrically Nick drakes influences have passed down generation by generation without many bad words. Rarely has such raw emotion and intelligence fell on record. I know had he lived he would surely have left us with a few more great records. Better to burn out then to fade away?

Re: Perfect Careers

Nick Drake. But he paid a high price.

He sure did.

There are a couple bands still working that I consider to have perfect track records right now.

Arcade Fire - Funeral and Neon Bible. Both albums I have nothing but admiration for. Funeral Is my favourite album of all time. Neon Bible is just truely stunning, easily the best of last year.

My Bloody Valentine - isnt anything, Loveless

M.I.A - Arular and Kala are pretty amazing albums. I dunno if I would call them perfect though. Pretty dang good

Oh yeah GRAM PARSONS had a perfect solo Career. even his stuff with the flying burrito's and the Byrds were great

I may be perverse, but I sort of appreciate artists having the chutzpah not to be perfect. Like Lou Reed doing Metal Machine Music or Neil Young putting out an imperfect techno or country album just because he f**king wants to.

Also: There' hardly anyone with a really long career whose output you'd call "perfect" is there?

Nope...Thats why i could only name 2. I was just wondering if anyone else felt as though there was another artist or band that had this merit.

I Suppose some could argue Jimi Hendrix for instance

Joy Division? I'm not gonna mess around with either Unknown Pleasures or Closer.

Long, perfect career: Dolly Parton?

No serious, you could ask yourself the following question: Is it possible to make more than 3 perfect albums? Some Dylan, Prince, Parton, etc. fans might say yes ...

What does perfect mean anyway? If you prefer one album over another, than the latter one automatically can't be perfect, right? Anyway, this is getting to filosophical now, time to have a good weekend!

No album is completely perfect I think, even though there are 7 albums I would give 10/10 stars, they're 9.8 or 9.9. If there's a perfect album, there would be nothing to ever surpass it. Even my favorite song is 9.999.

The search for perfection is the enemy of success. The best you can hope for is consistently good work.

No one has a perfect career or a perfect masterpiece. The groups mentioned here are far from perfect musically. That is the facts. To call Velvet Underground album perfect is laughable. Have you actually heard the sound quality of that album or the vocals and guitar playing in that album. I would not call any album perfect. Please let's get real.

THE VELVET UNDERGROUND are one of the greatest bands of all time. The Sound Distortion, the dry vocals are what they are about. Its a style of humour, and artistic expression. Thats like saying I dont find John Lennon's voice appealing, cause it sounds the same as george harrisons.

There in fact, might not be a better band in history than VU.

Get Real? Thats what VU were.

The most perfect discography in pop music was Stardust.

Yeah, VU and Beatles are as close as it comes to perfect. The Stooges are the only band that comes close to them if we don't count The Weirdness but even Raw Power wasn't great. Pavement don't have any bad albums either but they have a couple mediocre ones. But, I can probably only name a handful of bands that never put out a dud.

I wouldn't compain about anything Big Star released.
Or The Smiths. Or Joy Division.

My Bloody Valentine's earliest EP's and mini-albums aren't perfect by any stretch

No rock artist(s) or his/her/their career has ever had a perfect career, and I'm glad for that. I'm with Slush, the closest thing anyone ever came to perfection is Stardust.

"No rock artist(s) or his/her/their career has ever had a perfect career" should be "No rock artist(s) or his/her/their career has ever been perfect".

Faults and imperfections are part of what makes something perfect, for me. I love albums like Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music", and Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma".

Without an artist making a bad album, how do you truly know they made a great one? Those who only released one album, for example Jeff Buckley, maybe they could have done much better (there are other JB albums of course, but he didn't release them)

I think any artist who can remain relevant throughout his/her career, who is strong enough to try new things even at the risk of an occasional mistep, has/had a perfect career. Some artists that are still around making what I consider to be relevant music, in no particular order, include:

Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, Prince, and the list goes on....

I cheat and group Stardust with Daft Punk.

The Beatles were pretty good, but half of their first life was rather generic ("Beatles For Sale" is a dud, I'd say, also), great as their restness has deigned to be. Wonder if that fictional 70's Beatles would have kept the bar up.

Robert Johnson's is my beau ideal of a career. Except for the poisoned bottle part.