Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

Parts for sale / wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swap front wheel speedo gearbox CCW for CW version

I have a front brake plate mounted speedometer gearbox with turns CCW (as viewed from the saddle).
I also have a spare set of gears for the CCW version, although the case is wrecked

I would like to swap for exactly the same thing which turns CW.

Email me for pictures etc.

email (option): madoc500@hotmail.com

Re: Swap front wheel speedo gearbox CCW for CW version

John. Trouble is I think you will find the correct CW rotating speedo drives for the M20 are worth 10 times that of the other.
Rich.

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

John I take it you are talking about an angled speedo drive? In which case you need to quote what bike you are referring to. Some are on the left and some on the right. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hiya both,

I need it for a RH application (ariel). So I am thinking I have two LH applications.

I guess if the demand is 10x then a swap isn't feasible.
I am good with paying, if someone has one they would wish to sell ( but I think I'll be lucky...)

Thanks for the info.

email (option): Madoc500@hotmail.com

John the angled speedo drives L and R are about the same value. The M20 hub type speedo drives that was spoken about are a completely different kettle of fish. Unfortunately the only spare NOS drive I have is also L/H (Norton- RE- Matchless etc) The R/H side would be Ariel- Triumph etc.
Ron

Thanks for the info, Ron.
I suspect my damaged spare was from when I had an Enfield Wdc.

One will eventually turn up.

I didnt check the one I had with the build, and it was only when I connected the jaeger speedo, that I realised. A Bicycle GPS speedo will do the job in the meantime, to keep me honest with the speed traps ...

email (option): Madoc500@hotmail.com

The biggest problem (if you don't run a Norton) is that Nortons had left hand brake plates and odd stocks of the boxed WD Norton drives still turn up. Norton used them right through until 1945 and there were probably still spares being made, but BSA discontinued them at the end of 1939 and most had been upgraded to the separate drive boxes by the end of the war.

http://www.vintagebritishcables.net/Smiths-Gearbox-Motorcycle.php

Hi Guys,

I'm alittle confused here ...sorry.
I have a speedo drive that came off my m20
Looking at it if was fitted....turning the wheel itself anti-clockwise as in travelling forward, the speedo dog drives turns the cable square drive anti-clockwise.
I had to get a replacement for my m20 speedo for it to work.

Does this mean anything to anyone please?

Regards,
Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

It's the wrong rotation. Like most you pick up at jumbles it's for a right side rear wheel. The speedo cable dog should turn clockwise on nearly all our bikes. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1