Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

Parts for sale / wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Big Four warning plate.

Hello everyone, the new forum photo reminds me that I'm looking for a brass 2 wheel drive warning plate for a Big Four, the one that fixes to the toolbox and can be clearly be seen in this shot.
I'd be happy with either an original plate or a new repro as long as it is 100% accurate.

Thanks and best wishes
Tony.

Re: Big Four warning plate.

I've had a couple of small batches made over the years, copied from an original. They're not easy because the spacing's are uneven. Two commercial engravers that I approach couldn't do them. In the end I was put in touch with a guy who runs one of those key cutting, cobblers, engraving kiosks, who worked it out with a computer program. When I went back years later for more, he'd deleted/lost the program and had to do it again. If he's back at work, i'll ask if he saved the program this time. Ron

DSCF1515

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nathan, many thanks for the info re the repro brass plates, most useful, Chris has spotted a need for restorers of all types of vehicles, bikes cars and commercials and filled the gap, I may go down this route if nothing else works out.

Ron, thanks to you also, please let me know if your man can still do the plates, it looks as though the originals were engraved/stamped rather than printed. I've just looked at the toolbox on my B4 and rather worryingly there are no holes for rivets for this plate, I'm wondering if it may be a 16H box, are they the same, or were all B4s not fitted with this warning plate.
I have often wondered just how the SWD bikes do steer on the road with the sidecar drive engaged, do they really just go straight on or is the steering merely a bit heavier than a normal combo? I run a pre war Frazer Nash/GN chain drive car that has a solid bar rear axle, no diff, and although the steering is different to a normal car it does manage to go round corners. Does have two front wheels though, so I suppose this helps.

All the best
Tony.

Hello tony the late b4 had the plate on the sidecar .

email (option): jansenmarcel97@gmail.com

Tony I'm quite sure the toolbox is the same as the 16H box with the suitcase latch. I bought mine at Shepton jumble for 20 Quid as no one recognized what it was. I didn't recognize it either but Steve Madden was there and suggested I should buy it and he'd send me a factory picture with one fitted. It must have been some sort of prototype idea?? But I like it as a talking point.......And it had the four holes!

I'll see if the engraver is answering his phone. Ron
Big-4-017
Big-4-Early-toolbox-01
large-000000-1

Tony Leedal
Nathan, many thanks for the info re the repro brass plates, most useful, Chris has spotted a need for restorers of all types of vehicles, bikes cars and commercials and filled the gap, I may go down this route if nothing else works out.

Ron, thanks to you also, please let me know if your man can still do the plates, it looks as though the originals were engraved/stamped rather than printed. I've just looked at the toolbox on my B4 and rather worryingly there are no holes for rivets for this plate, I'm wondering if it may be a 16H box, are they the same, or were all B4s not fitted with this warning plate.
I have often wondered just how the SWD bikes do steer on the road with the sidecar drive engaged, do they really just go straight on or is the steering merely a bit heavier than a normal combo? I run a pre war Frazer Nash/GN chain drive car that has a solid bar rear axle, no diff, and although the steering is different to a normal car it does manage to go round corners. Does have two front wheels though, so I suppose this helps.

All the best
Tony.
Tony - If you engage the sidecar wheel drive on your SWD Big 4 combo on a hard surface - your drive for example and the try pushing the machine whilst trying to turn you will find the handlebars will snap back so it will only go in a straight line - forward and it will not turn. I tried using the SWD on a quiet road to see if I could steer the machine round corners and I couldn't. I did find that with the sidecar wheel drive engaged I could take my hands off the bars and the machine would travel roughly in a straight line depending on the camber of the road.

Regarding the non suitcase latch toolboxes the SWD Big 4 and 16H whilst they used the same toolbox shell the lid fixing was different in that the lid fixing was also the same on each machine as the tappet cover fixing. The SWD Big 4 had a round type and the 16H had a half winged type. Of course that may have only been the case during part of the period and there will be experts on here will be able to confirm what applied and when.

You're going to have to get the Vietnamese house cleaning girl in Ron..There's a worryingly excessive dust build up on your Big 4..:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It'll be on the list of lockdown jobs Ian. I need to make a nicer job of the silencer bracket too. I'm currently swapping Lycette and Terry saddles between Triumph SV and OHV. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1