Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
j
JOJO
Just a bit of fun: SONG SNAKE!!
A bit of fun. Once a song is nominated, you continue the chain by making either the first or last word in the previous posting the first or last word in your song. The rule is here that the position of that word in the song title must stay fixed. You win when the cha...
Views: 2613   Replies: 205
Last Post: Aug 29, 2008 9:42am
by kiran
hello. my name is kiran, and i'm 13 in two weeks, these are my 100 favourite albums of all time.
p.s i am 12. if you don't believe me, you're only fooling yourselves. i get it a lot. also, PLEASE don't have a go at me for missing out stuff like, say, ziggy stardust or velvet underground & nico. i haven't heard ziggy stardust (shock horror), and i don't like v...
Views: 1125   Replies: 38
Last Post: Aug 29, 2008 9:35am
by kiran
Rock Band
So, in countless threads we've recalled our favorite albums, songs, and even films. But what about video games? Or more specifically, does anyone play Rock Band? I've a bit of a game affectionado myself, but I've been especially addicted to Rock Band for almost a y...
Views: 559   Replies: 12
Last Post: Aug 29, 2008 4:34am
by Moeboid
Your top ten albums of all time...when you were 13!
A thread from about a week ago inspired me to think about what kind of crap I listened to when I was that age. I would have had a few albums near the top that were actually decent, but the rest of the list would be filled with angsty schlock. Post your 13 year ol...
Views: 847   Replies: 41
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 11:22am
by kiran
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Final Ballot!
We've made it to the final cut! This one won't be a cut, but a ranking of the four remaining songs. Your ballot should still rank them in the same order we have been: Worst to first. A Day in the Life and Strawberry Fields Forever are pretty close and far ahead of th...
Views: 740   Replies: 23
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 8:08am
by Justin
changing tastes
"Much too saccharine and doesn't offer much in the way of a memorable melody." No way that anyone here would remember, but that was my comment for "Wichita Lineman" during Bracketology. Holy fuck, what was I thinking. It's become one of my favorite songs...
Views: 669   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 5:32am
by Anthony
b
bdang
Artists that AM introduced to you that you wouldn't have easily encountered on your own
Prince for me. I was listening to music such as Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, and Prince doesn't have much in common with those artists. And now I love Prince, Sign 'O' The Times is one of my all time favorite albums. Also, Elvis.
Views: 756   Replies: 15
Last Post: Aug 28, 2008 3:59am
by Moonbeam
k
kiran
News from teh Western Front
well, i'm relatively new to this forum (which might i add, is full of an awesome bunch of people), and my only contribution so far is my list of 100 Favourite Albums (http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/3172289350/show/887006). thanks a lot by the way everybody for your...
Views: 544   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 27, 2008 5:44pm
by kiran
skip james
is anyone here a fan of skip james? i've been listening to a few of his songs on youtube and am considering buying an album. what should i get? AM recommends "Today!" but AM also recommends the song "devil got my woman", which isn't on it. so are any of the compilat...
Views: 535   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 26, 2008 9:49pm
by John
Missus Netjade
To not derail too much the thread of our friends who always vote for the same things, go ahead. Offer any sensible challenge you like. Post a post of yours you'd wish me to translate word-by-word, for starters. The most challenging, nerve-wracking one. Go on, just fo...
Views: 936   Replies: 38
Last Post: Aug 25, 2008 8:51pm
by netjade
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 42
With one swift kick, Rubber Soul is eliminated. One more cut before the final one. Eliminated: 46 Norwegian Wood 39 In My Life Front runners: Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day In the Life RULES: Vote for 5 Beatles songs using this format: 5: Song 4:...
Views: 856   Replies: 29
Last Post: Aug 25, 2008 8:15pm
by John
r
Rune
The worst 65 songs ever! Part two (the worst of the worst)
32. Infernal - From Paris to Berlin (107.42 points) Did it sell? - A big hit in Scandinavia, and a smaller hit in the rest of Europe.
Views: 1269   Replies: 56
Last Post: Aug 24, 2008 11:55pm
by Moonbeam
Michelle
The song Michelle (by the Beatles), is the 42nd most played song of ALL TIME. It isn't even on your list. It isn't even in your index. Hmmm... ???
Views: 421   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 24, 2008 10:16pm
by Midaso
f
Fred
Beatles Stats
Had nothing to do last night and compiled this. You might want to check out the best songs on each album etc. Beatles survivor positions are in parenthesis. Please Please Me (Songs Mean Position = 159) 1. I Saw Her Standing There (46) 2. Misery (180) 3. Ann...
Views: 629   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 24, 2008 7:05pm
by John
Top 100 Artists Poll- Submit Your Ballots!
Welcome to the Artists Poll! To complete the trifecta of polls, we will now undertake a poll of AM's most beloved artists. Still fuming over one of your favorite artist's early exit from Survivor? Wishing an artist was eligible, but is not recognized in the top...
Views: 2888   Replies: 123
Last Post: Aug 24, 2008 1:19am
by Moonbeam
All Time Top 3000 - Albums that should be considered
I love this site and the All Time Top 3000 list, and I understand that greatest hits and compilations should be excluded from consideration since they are just a cobbling of songs from other previously released albums. BUT, I think a strong case/argument should be m...
Views: 634   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 23, 2008 8:17pm
by Rune
r
Rune
The worst 65 songs ever!
Some of you have voted! Some of you have decided! Now all of you can torture yourself through this list of agony and pain put to music. It's the worst 65 songs ever! And we're off! 65. Ne-Yo - So Sick (84.89 points) Did it sell? - It was number one in...
Views: 1044   Replies: 70
Last Post: Aug 23, 2008 4:04pm
by Greg Rumpff
e
eric b
Treble's Best Albums of the '90s
new list http://www.treblezine.com/features/163.html
Views: 802   Replies: 12
Last Post: Aug 23, 2008 3:17pm
by Lonesome Panda
Funk!
I just came across this website with great funk recommendations. http://pindarots.xs4all.nl/funk.txt I'm glad to see Prince is well represented there!
Views: 869   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 23, 2008 7:07am
by Harpo
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 41- The top 10
After 40 cuts, we've reached the top ten! There will be two more cuts in which we'll cut two (or more if there is a tie) and then one final cut which will operate the same way but will serve to rank the remaining songs which will be at 5 or less. Revolver leaves u...
Views: 755   Replies: 24
Last Post: Aug 23, 2008 6:33am
by Harold Wexler
n
Nat
Rock bias
While I admit that as far as ranked album/song lists go, Acclaimed Music is pretty fair, it does seem like it gives rock a big boost over any other genre. In the top fifty albums, I see eight non-rock (What's Going On, It Takes a Nation of Millions, Blue Lines, Thril...
Views: 446   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 23, 2008 5:15am
by Nat
only 15 female artist in the top 200
top Females would be then (200): 1: Aretha Franklin...(WTF) 2: Joni Mittchel 3: Pj Harvey (??) 4: Björk (?) 5: Madonna (?????????) 6: Patti Smith (or Fleetwood mac if you count them as a female band) 7: Janis Joplin (Blondie/Pretenders, if u count them...
Views: 1174   Replies: 14
Last Post: Aug 22, 2008 9:54am
by Tim
s
Shaun
Non-rock songs
What are some songs you imagine may hit the charts once jazz, vocal, and world music are included in the formula? Here are some I think might make the cut: Glenn Miller "In The Mood" Louis Armstrong "What A Wonderful World" Miles Davis "So What" Billie Holiday...
Views: 1033   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 21, 2008 11:09pm
by Greg Rumpff
Eighties Albums That Have Escaped That "Eighties" Sound
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones Pink Floyd - The Final Cut ...there aren't many that have escaped that murky synthetic sound...what others are there?
Views: 745   Replies: 13
Last Post: Aug 21, 2008 7:26pm
by Moeboid
s
STEFAN
MEGA-CRITIC-COMPETITION AUGUST : THE CLUES
Guess (Deadline = 25th) the highest new entry into this month´s Mega-Critic-Chart (Publication = 31st) and enter the chance to win that CD. It has been a weak month with a lot of rather average releases, therefore there are only clues to three acts this month...
Views: 577   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 21, 2008 6:19pm
by Penguin
i
ICL
New Order
Anyone know if New Order's original singles - 7"s and 12"s are available anywhere in any format other than vinyl?
Views: 443   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 21, 2008 5:14am
by John
AMG Challenge
I'm throwing down the gauntlet... Using AMG (All Music), find the lowest ranked album(s) that you legitimately enjoy and post your findings. No three star (or higher) albums allowed, and no William Hung/Nickelback/Toby Keith posts either -- that's much too obviou...
Views: 948   Replies: 32
Last Post: Aug 20, 2008 7:00pm
by Anthony
d
Doug
What is the highest ranked album that you do NOT own...
...and do you plan on adding it to your collection? I just recently stumbled onto this site about a week ago, and discovered that the highest ranked album I don't own is #93 Saturday Night Fever Sdtk. I was pretty impressed with myself. I plan on purchasing it s...
Views: 1260   Replies: 39
Last Post: Aug 20, 2008 12:19pm
by Rune
Guilty pleasures
Who are some of the artists that you are somewhat embarrassed to admit following? Here are some of mine: Roxette. I love Marie's voice and can't deny their pop power. I have about 10 of their CDs. Motley Crue. Not only did I like disposable pop as a ki...
Views: 981   Replies: 15
Last Post: Aug 19, 2008 12:32pm
by Fred
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 40
Help! is eliminated this week and there was a pretty good consensus as to what three songs would be leaving. After the next cut we'll be in the top ten. 27 Here, There and Everywhere 26 Tomorrow Never Knows 23 Yesterday Close: Nothing within two this week. Pe...
Views: 662   Replies: 19
Last Post: Aug 18, 2008 9:58pm
by John
t
Tim
Who is your favorite performer born in 1958? There's too many to name.
Views: 526   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 18, 2008 9:06pm
by schleuse
HOA: 1963 voting thread
Come n’ git it—it’s the 1963 election. Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1962. To see a list of noteworthy candidates, as well as our discussion of them, check out the 1963 discussion thread. For...
Views: 782   Replies: 33
Last Post: Aug 18, 2008 8:25pm
by Anthony
g
Giz
40/50's singles
Hi.I was trying to find out more about the singles from this era when i came across this website - an absolute goldmine! Using the singles listed here and others from Dave Marsh's list i started reseaching the songs to compile a list. I was wondering though what othe...
Views: 480   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 15, 2008 10:03pm
by Rune
y
yaron
the top 99 albums of all time bye israeli critics
in 1999 50 of the most important critics and music editors in israel choos ther 99 albums of all time and published the final countdown in "yediot ahonot" the most popular newspaper in israel so ,here are the results : 1 the rise & the fall of ziggi stardust & t...
Views: 8333   Replies: 23
Last Post: Aug 15, 2008 6:26pm
by critics
JAZZ MAGAZINE - Les 101 Morceaux Qui Ont Marqué L' Histoire Du Jazz
Here's a list published in June 2007. It is focused on the tracks and is alphabetically ordered. I really like the way it encompasses every style or period in the history of Jazz. They also run a website. ABSTRACT N°1: Shelly Manne (1954) AIN'T MISBEHAVIN':...
Views: 2612   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 14, 2008 8:59pm
by netjade
s
Slush
250 Greatest Albums "Rock iberoamericano"
Really, since I´m trying to improve my Spanish, I think I just found the most magical list I could ever hope for. 1. Cafe Tacuba - Re (1994) 2. Soda Stereo - Canción Animal (1990) 3. Charly García - Clics Modernos (1983) 4. Manu Chao - Clande...
Views: 851   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 14, 2008 1:48pm
by Henrik
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 39
A new feature this week with the front runners. It's interesting what's at the top. The end indeed: 24 Help 24 Blackbird 23 The End Close: Tomorrow Never Knows Front runners: Hey Jude, Eleanor Rigby, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Here Comes The Sun, Norwegi...
Views: 598   Replies: 18
Last Post: Aug 14, 2008 9:17am
by Justin
Views: 597   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 14, 2008 3:16am
by mmmhmmmhmmm
Velvet Underground albums not the banana one
Velvet Underground has three albums just around 200 on the AM list. I thought, since I like &Nico, Transformer, and New York so much I should probably pick them up. So I picked up White Light/White Heat. I found it boring and droning, the only redeeming aspect b...
Views: 968   Replies: 28
Last Post: Aug 14, 2008 1:10am
by waitingformyman
r
Rune
Send me your 100 worst songs
Walla komolko polío Macarena or something. Please send me a list of the 100 worst songs you can imagine, and I'll make you suffer through the final list sometime in August. We've been positive for too long, so you're absolutely welcome to post some harsh comm...
Views: 1608   Replies: 51
Last Post: Aug 13, 2008 4:07pm
by sonofsamiam
Any Soulmates on AM...?
..thus anyone with whom you'd maybe share your personal record collection? Since there've been so many opinions plus broadly inviting and generous poll landscapes including songs, singles and albums tasks since the very first AM's heydays, have you ever figured ou...
Views: 1216   Replies: 47
Last Post: Aug 12, 2008 11:27pm
by well
d
Doug
Cold War Kids
In my opinion... There is something seriously wrong with the system if Cold War Kids album Robbers and Cowards cannot make it into the Top 50 list of 2006, let alone the Top 10 like it deserves. Here we have a complete band with a great fresh sound, great lyri...
Views: 538   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 12, 2008 5:49pm
by ramalamadingdong
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 38
And we've reached the top 20! Remember that we eliminate 3 next cut but are still voting for five. It would be good of me to remember that as well! Eliminated- 25 Nowhere Man 20 You Never Give Me Your Money 20 Helter Skelter 16 Revolution 16 And Your Bird Ca...
Views: 740   Replies: 29
Last Post: Aug 12, 2008 12:21am
by John
HOA: 1963 discussion thread
This is the discussion thread for the 1963 election. And the top 50 candidates are… HALL OF ACCLAIM: TOP 50 CANDIDATES FOR 1963 ELECTION Only releases through December 31, 1962 included. 1962 releases indicated with an asterisk. 1. THELONIOUS MO...
Views: 697   Replies: 21
Last Post: Aug 11, 2008 2:20pm
by nicolas
w
Weezy
Isley Bros
I looked at the Isley Brothers and I was surprised that "Between the Sheets" wasn't on the Acclaimed List. Since it's not, I'm gonna big up the song. To a MUCH lesser extent, I was disappointed in not seeing "Contagious." Good song. Wait...maybe it's under R. Kelly.
Views: 504   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 10, 2008 11:20pm
by Weezy
a
ah
Well really then how come
Lenin was in the same band as McCarthy - how do ya get coincidences like that?
Views: 381   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 10, 2008 3:43am
by monkey
Holidays in Barcelona
To Honorio and spanish people of this forum : I need your help From August 1st to 10th, I'm gonna go to Barcelona for my holidays. It's the first time in my life that I go to Spain so I can't wait to be there ! Barcelona must be such a large city with certainly...
Views: 680   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 9, 2008 5:43pm
by Dumbangel
Your top 20 artists
What are they? Here are mine. 1. Prince (as if you didn't know already ) 2. Bjork The Cure Eurythmics Madonna Janet Jackson (5-way tie) 7. Blondie 8. David Bowie 9. Annie Lennox 10. Kylie Minogue 11. Depeche Mode 12. New Order...
Views: 962   Replies: 12
Last Post: Aug 8, 2008 9:36pm
by Paul
f
Fred
ABBA
ABBA was one of last weeks RYM Rough Guide subjects. Many seem only to have listened to the both ABBA Gold compilations ("ABBA Gold" and "More ABBA Gold"), though. So, for you who are interrested in a further ABBA penetration, I feel the obligation to give you some f...
Views: 557   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 8, 2008 10:46am
by Fred
notes from a mad scientist
I apologize for not posting much around here lately. After a few years of having the flexible schedule of a freelancer, I now have a regular job. It's a great job (and my financial situation will now allow me to buy a lot more music), but, unfortunately, it means tha...
Views: 690   Replies: 9
Last Post: Aug 7, 2008 9:08am
by Honorio
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 37
Ok, sorry about that mixup last round. This time Rain got eliminated, for real. A Day in the Life and Sgt. Peppers as an album are 7 points away from being eliminated, will it even have one entry in the top 20? Eliminated: 23 Come Together 18 We Can Work It O...
Views: 710   Replies: 33
Last Post: Aug 7, 2008 9:05am
by Honorio
j
Jerry
wow
way to completely rip off rolling stone
Views: 320   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 7, 2008 8:38am
by Stephan
The Beautiful Lie
I'm not anti-american but when I read the Pitchfork review of the last Ed Harcourt record (wake up assholes ! This record has been released 2 years ago ! Do you know "imports" ?), I'm really angry. They haven't understood anything. Millions of miles separated us ba...
Views: 884   Replies: 26
Last Post: Aug 6, 2008 12:34pm
by netjade
Forum Poll: The Best Albums and Songs of 1985
Time to take on 1985. The year musicians felt they had to help the world. We had USA For Africa, Live Aid, and Farm Aid. Bands that disbanded and were apparently not into helping the world include: Men At Work, Chic, Orange Juice, The Sugarhill Gang and The Police. I...
Views: 2142   Replies: 97
Last Post: Aug 5, 2008 10:03pm
by Midaso
Beatles Survivor: Cut 36
Not much to say this week! Every song has been nominated by at least one person now. Eliminated: 21 Across the Universe 17 Dear Prudence 17 She said she said 17 I'm Only Sleeping 16 Rain Close: Come Together, Nowhere Man RULES: Vote for 5 Beatles song...
Views: 681   Replies: 42
Last Post: Aug 5, 2008 7:37pm
by Henrik
Awake!!!
Miguel Zenon's Awake is a phenomenal album. The melodic jazz and piano make life feel just that much better when you spin this one. I can't avoid playing it on my commute to work every morning. My boss from UMG gave me a copy last week, but if you are not so lucky, y...
Views: 755   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 5, 2008 6:20pm
by Slush
I suppose another list can't hurt
Radio 2's top 2000 songs. Stumbled on it by accident.
Views: 508   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 4, 2008 10:10pm
by Greg Rumpff
HOA: 1962 voting thread
And now, the 1962 election. Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1961. To see a list of noteworthy pre-1962 candidates, as well as our discussion of them, check out this thread. For a reminder of who’s already b...
Views: 714   Replies: 19
Last Post: Aug 4, 2008 6:35pm
by Harold Wexler
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 35
That's all she wrote for pre-Help Beatles. I'm pretty sure that there are only five songs that haven't received one vote yet; A Day In the Life, Strawberry Fields Forever, Helter Skelter, Here Comes the Sun and Let It Be. They might have received a vote from somebody...
Views: 615   Replies: 24
Last Post: Jul 31, 2008 9:46pm
by LonesomePanda
Help me about a dinner romantic
I wanted to recommend me some songs for a dinner with my girlfriend. I love songs are used the verve - The Drugs Don't Work, Bitter Sweet Symphony - Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out. That they are of that style. Many thank you.
Views: 429   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jul 30, 2008 2:47am
by Tim
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 34
With a bunch of songs getting 10 points this week we have now gone past 40 and will only be voting off 4 songs this cut. If you didn't see the updated end game rules I posted them in the rules below. Eliminated: 22 Taxman 17 Don’t Let Me Down 13 I Will...
Views: 814   Replies: 36
Last Post: Jul 29, 2008 8:21am
by Midaso
s
STEFAN
MEGA-CRITIC-COMPETITION JULY : THE CLUES
Guess (Deadline = 25th) the highest new entry into this month´s Mega-Critic-Chart (Publication = 31st) and enter the chance to win that CD. The following five acts for the moment seem to become the highest new entries : Clue to Act 1 : Last month´s Bu...
Views: 845   Replies: 27
Last Post: Jul 26, 2008 3:09am
by mamiesmith
July update: Alternative critic ranking formula
For those who haven't read these threads before, this is a formula based on wins and losses intended to lessen the effect of just one or two really bad scores. Note: If the percent is higher than the ranking seems to suggest, it's because that album has not recei...
Views: 544   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 25, 2008 10:54pm
by BillAdama
HOA: 1962 discussion thread
This is the discussion thread for the 1962 election. As always, here are the top candidates. (BTW, if you haven’t yet checked out the 1961 inductees on the HOA results thread, you should probably do that first, if you don’t want to ruin the surprise.)...
Views: 709   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jul 25, 2008 2:01pm
by mamiesmith
AM Survivor: Final results
It's taken nearly nine months, but we've had our last vote in Survivor. The last artist to be kicked off the island? Bob Dylan (11 votes) Which means that our champion is: The Beatles (10 votes) That was a bit closer than I had expected, actually, althoug...
Views: 2039   Replies: 29
Last Post: Jul 25, 2008 1:31pm
by mamiesmith
Would anyone mind?
Hi. I was wondering. As I've managed to gather all of the 3000 songs on AM, would anyone mind if I offered to send them to the participants of our next Forum Visitors' Best Songs Ever, whenever that happens to be? Together with all the bubbling ones too, and al...
Views: 1614   Replies: 91
Last Post: Jul 25, 2008 12:11am
by bessiesmith
p
Paul
Muxtape
Has anyone checked out muxtape. It's a new website that let's you upload as many as 12 mp3s into an on-line mixed tape. You can share the link with people to let them listen, but they can't download the songs (just listen). It's really easy to sign up and upload...
Views: 859   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jul 24, 2008 10:33pm
by Moonbeam
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 33
If you are like me and consider Help! the start of The Beatles middle (AKA best ) years, the early years are down to one album and three songs! I also have to keep mentioning that the album widely considered to be the greatest ever is now down to two songs... 2...
Views: 621   Replies: 22
Last Post: Jul 24, 2008 10:17pm
by John
j
Joker
Madonna
So how about that Madonna huh? Been caught having a bit of a BOOM BOOM BOOM with A-Rod on a couch caught on tape... Wonder if it will be released
Views: 366   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 23, 2008 4:43am
by John
s
STEFAN
THE MERCURY PRIZE NOMINEES FOR 2008
The nominees for best British or Irish album of the last 12 months : Elbow ´The Seldom Seen Kid´ Laura Marling ´Alas I Cannot Swim´ Robert Plant/Alison Krauss ´Raising Sand´ Adele ´19´ The Last Shadow Puppets ´The A...
Views: 582   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 22, 2008 6:31pm
by STEFAN
plaque discussion thread
If you haven’t read the HOA results thread, you might want to do that first to see who won the 1960 election. Here are my thoughts about the plaques, and I’m sorry that I’m putting up such huge, wordy posts today (there’s one more to...
Views: 936   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 22, 2008 4:58pm
by Anthony
AYCOADB: Thread 11
whoach! thanks, Panda, almost oversleeped it... 1996. the whole bill pullman vs bob dole suite. ripped. and. legally. NOW. 10. (10) Gangsta's Paradise (1995). Coolio ft L.V. I remember that song as soon as exposed to an average teen party kraut (awful pu...
Views: 1226   Replies: 45
Last Post: Jul 22, 2008 9:30am
by Lonesome Panda
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 32 ***The top 50***
Ladies and gentleman, we've reached the top 50! Sgt. Pepper's: The Song sneaks into the the last spot of the top 50, but the Sgt. Peppers: The Album keeps dwindling. Speaking of dwindling, With the Beatles leaves us this week now that All My Loving is gone. Rememb...
Views: 764   Replies: 32
Last Post: Jul 21, 2008 10:11pm
by Daniel
HOA: 1961 voting thread
Today we start the 1961 election. Select the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1960. To see a list of noteworthy pre-1961 candidates, as well as our discussion of them, check out this thread. For a reminder of who’s alr...
Views: 892   Replies: 24
Last Post: Jul 21, 2008 9:29pm
by schleuse
AM Survivor: Final week
Hey! (hey) You! (you) Get offa my cloud: 3. The Rolling Stones (53) Thus making our finalists: Bob Dylan (47) The Beatles (44) For this final matchup, let’s keep it simple: on your “ballot,” just indicate which of these two artists you...
Views: 1075   Replies: 49
Last Post: Jul 21, 2008 10:31am
by Harpo
r
redney
Suggestions
Henrik, here are some list suggestions if you don't mind. 1.Bad Cat Records - reviews of classic albums by staff members, ratings system of 1 to 5 (www.geocities.com/badcatrecords) 2.DigitalDreamDoor - many great best-of album, artist, & song lists compiled &...
Views: 565   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 20, 2008 12:25am
by redney
r
Rune
Listening to AM3000 - songs
The last couple of days I've been listening to songs from the AM3000 list. At first I thought starting at the beginning was a good idea, but knowing all the songs up there made it boring, so I started at the end instead. And I've made a lot of discoveries. While the...
Views: 967   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jul 19, 2008 7:51pm
by John
Whoa disco
Well as I knew it, never realized this song was actually from 1965. So they had already discovered disco that early! Whereas others of the age were still merely discussing tambourine men and lack of satisfaction. Whatever happened that stilted mankind's mus...
Views: 455   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 19, 2008 4:53am
by Greg Rumpff
f
Fred
Your best music year?
Lately I did some research for the 1985 poll and the amount of good music was a surprise to me. Then I looked at my favourite songs and found out 1970 was very well represented. So I did some research on 1970 and came up with this list. 1970 is scarily good and this...
Views: 697   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jul 18, 2008 9:24pm
by sonofsamiam
s
STEFAN
UPDATE : 30/06/08 : MEGA-CRITIC : Best Reviewed Albums Of 2008 So Far (With Competition)
The clues this month´s clues : Act 1 : Silver Jews Act 2 : Opeth Act 3 : Lil Wayne Act 4 : Joan As Policewoman Act 5 : Fleet Foxes There were five entries with the right guess : brennen - Harold Wrexler - Paranoid Android - pop elton - Stephan The w...
Views: 2556   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jul 18, 2008 11:06am
by STEFAN
j
Jimbop
Sigur Ros new album
Fantastic album, ara batur, inni and festival are all stunning. your thoughts? IMO along with portishead it is the best i have heard this year.
Views: 642   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 18, 2008 12:47am
by Tim
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 31- With end-gameplan!
This upcoming cut will take us to the top 50 and maybe beyond! Here is the plan for the rest of the game (after this cut). Thursday: Bring nominations down from 10 votes to 5. 40 or less left: Eliminate 4 rather than 5. 20 or less: Eliminate 3 10 or less...
Views: 739   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jul 17, 2008 6:14pm
by John
k
Kevin
The Hold Steady - STAY POSITIVE
Record of the Year? Maybe...But I'll definately Stay Positive The Hold Steady have released there fourth consecutive great album in a row. In this day in age, it is a very rare thing to come by. What I fear is a Career all to similar in resembelance to that of Th...
Views: 519   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2008 8:57am
by Kevin
HOA: 1961 discussion thread
Welcome to the discussion thread for the HOA’s second year, 1961. To start, once again, here are the top 50 candidates by AM ranking: HALL OF ACCLAIM: TOP 50 CANDIDATES FOR 1961 ELECTION Only releases through December 31, 1960 included. Note that t...
Views: 1235   Replies: 42
Last Post: Jul 15, 2008 4:59pm
by Greg Rumpff
Definitive Documentaries
I'm very interested in definitive documentaries about artists (and popular music in general) but there seems to be a lack of these actually available. Here are a few of note on some of the most acclaimed artists: The Beatles Anthology (10 hours and still seems too...
Views: 603   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 15, 2008 7:37am
by John
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 30
A quick stat for this week. Although I'm not totally sure about the contest in whole I know that there are 64 songs left and this week 46 of them were nominated. Add in some of the people who didn't vote this week and I'd bet only 15 or so songs haven't been nominate...
Views: 648   Replies: 18
Last Post: Jul 14, 2008 7:28am
by Justin
The origin of witty rap
Never underestimate history.
Views: 575   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 14, 2008 6:09am
by Paul
h
Henrik
How to file songs released in different versions over the years?
For songs released in different versions I have normally filed it under the first year it was released, however I have not been entirley consequent. Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls" is filed under 1985, but the first version of the song came in 1984. Similar with...
Views: 778   Replies: 38
Last Post: Jul 14, 2008 1:09am
by mismaiome
h
Hauke
New List: Die 100 Besten Rap-Alben
Hello, Here a List from the German Hip Hop Print Magazin "Juice" from April 2002. The List called "Die 100 Besten Rap-Alben" 1.) Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded (1987) 2.) Gang Starr - Step In The Arena (1990) 3.) Eric B & The Rakim - Paid In Full (...
Views: 776   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 13, 2008 10:38pm
by netjade
r
Rune
AYCOADB: Thread 10
This song was the sound of 1992 for me. They were hugely popular where I lived, and there was a general feeling that music couldn't be made more perfect than this. Everybody seemed to agree. I was 12 back then, but already an enlightened music lover, having listened...
Views: 1684   Replies: 65
Last Post: Jul 13, 2008 4:14pm
by LonesomePanda
j
John
Has anybody seen the Zombies lately?
Has anybody gone to a Zombies show now that they are touring again? I'm going to see them Sunday night at Taste of Minnesota and both Blunstone and Argent are in the lineup. It's a free event so I'm really excited that I get to see one of my favorite bands without op...
Views: 527   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 13, 2008 3:07am
by mark
AM Survivor: Week 34
Ashes to ashes, funk to funky: 4. David Bowie (62) 98 gone, 3 left: The Rolling Stones (60) Bob Dylan (51) The Beatles (47) Anybody surprised by that? In this, our second-to-last week, your top choice for elimination gets 3 points. And now, Week 34.
Views: 862   Replies: 43
Last Post: Jul 13, 2008 2:42am
by mismaiome
m
Mickey
Can't Work It Out
Can't decide whether the Rolling Stones' Emotional Rescue album is magnificently contrived junk or just plain unredeemed junk. Hmmm...
Views: 516   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 12, 2008 11:37am
by Honorio
netjadeian corruption?
Analyzing my recent posts, I've noticed that, lately, I've been trying to filter netjadeian valences through my own sensibilities so as to create a new kind of masked, absurd, contrarian humor, hilarious in parts at the risk of being unfunny, this post itself a fine...
Views: 649   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 11, 2008 1:42pm
by Moonbeam
Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time another new list
Here is something for you guys to chew on. Another a new Rolling Stone list 1. Johnny B. Goode: Chuck Berry (1958) 2. Purple Haze: The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967) 3. Crossroads: Cream (1968) 4. You Really Got Me: The Kinks (1964) 5. Brown Sugar: The Rolling...
Views: 919   Replies: 14
Last Post: Jul 11, 2008 1:16am
by Fred
j
John
Beatles Survivor: Cut 29
It took awhile but the final Beatles cover song is gone! I do admit that they made it their own and it is a great song which definitely has to be in the conversation when considering the greatest covers. But, of course as you all now from last cut, I'd have to give t...
Views: 730   Replies: 19
Last Post: Jul 10, 2008 10:03pm
by Midaso
k
Kel
Sal Santana Is Coming
Hey guys i am so so excited right now. I just checked on salvador santana's website and he is touring with his DAD!! He's coming to my hometown (Los Angeles) in october !! If you like his music or want to know more check out his website salvadorsantana.com for more i...
Views: 626   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 10, 2008 1:34am
by Kel
p
Paul
Rock and Roll is Dead
Read about the Hard Rock Park. See also New York Times article.
Views: 571   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 9, 2008 1:19pm
by Snusmumrik
f
Fred
Frank Zappa!
More Zappa to the people! Here's my suggestions for a four CD compilation to the Zappa listener who wants more than "Strictly Commercial". Myself, I'm right between listening to his most famous albums and digging into the more obscure material. I tried to have th...
Views: 726   Replies: 16
Last Post: Jul 8, 2008 10:59pm
by BillAdama
j
Jonah
Compile an exciting wedding reception playlist for me!
Hey there: I have been honored with being offered both the position of DJ and groomsman for the official wedding of two good college friends. I made it clear to them that by offering me the DJ position, I would claim no expertise in setting up sound equipment o...
Views: 930   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jul 8, 2008 4:13pm
by Jonah
53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62