Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
All Time Top 3000 - Albums that should be considered

I love this site and the All Time Top 3000 list, and I understand that greatest hits and compilations should be excluded from consideration since they are just a cobbling of songs from other previously released albums. BUT, I think a strong case/argument should be made that an album that debuts a compilation of songs never before released... for example, Eric Clapton and many musicians of his time were thrilled at the long awaited release of Robert Johnson's King of the Delta Blues was released in 1961. Also a similar strong case could be made from Elvis Presley's famous Sun Recordings.

I love using this list to purchase albums but feel some important works are left off and it is not inclusive of some real great album releases that cannot be compensated by purchasing other original release albums. You cannot buy a collection of original Robert Johnson albums to make up a catalog of the songs listed on King of the Delta Blues. So even if you purchased all 3000 albums on the all time list, you would not own a single Robert Johnson song.

Just my personal opinion, and hoping some exceptions can be made for some classic to the point of essential albums.

Re: All Time Top 3000 - Albums that should be considered

I've been thinking the same thing about Oasis' The Masterplan, their collection of B-sides from the singles. Some consider it their best album, but it's not included on these lists, I believe.

Well, Basement Tapes and the compilations of the stuff Hendrix was working on when he died are included.

I think there's SOME merit to this idea if only because most artists from 1960 and before don't have the original albums in print. It's hard for me to rank "CHUCK BERRY IS ON TOP" highly if I've only ever heard it as 10 tracks strung over 3 disparate compilations.

But I'm afraid if we open that can of worms that the whole "Greatest Hits" problem rears its head, too.

Not that that matters to me....I'm much more song-oriented vs. album than most of y'all...but I can see the quandary there.

I have Chuck Berry Is on Top on LP. It's pretty great.

One album you all need to hear is The Sound - Jeopardy. It's ranked in the 2900s somewhere, but it's absolutely brilliant. Unfortunatly it's as expensive as it is great.