Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

Parts for sale / wanted
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Triumph 3TW

I'm intently following the progress of a friend of mine who is building a replica 3TW, based on and an original engine and gearbox that he's acquired. Has anyone got a set (or parts) of 3HW Webb forks for sale?   Ron
1939-3-TW-350cc-ohv

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Triumph 3TW

HiRon, I don't think that the Triumph 3HW girder blades are the same as the 3TW, the 3TW mudguard mounts to the blades in a similar way to the M20 trumpet, the head lamp brackets on the 3TW look like they're mounted through the spindle (top), and where the mudguard mounts (bottom), it's strange on the photo that the front mudguard is the longer pre war type, where as the front stand on the 3SW - 5SW & 3HW is almost level, l suppose that they could be altered to fit.

Hi Steve, I agree some minor changes will have to be made to 3HW Webb Forks....Not least the side check springs. The center fitting for the mudguard, looks the same as the pre war civy Triumphs had, and the lug remained on the WD Triumph forks, despite the 'P' clip arrangement they adopted......Also no brake rod on the 3TW and a different brake plate which has already been found. We are going to take a trip to Beulieu in the near future to take more pix and measurements. Ron
1939-3-TW-350cc-ohv-2

6472-2

Here's some of the story Steve:-
My mate acquired the engine (one of the production run) minus head… found in a lawnmower in Cornwall. He was then contacted by a Triumph collector in France who had some parts that he didn't recognize. Turned out to be a 3TW head and some other engine parts.
The next part is just as amazing, He saw a special somewhere and instantly recognized the gearbox as 3TW. The owner said, you can have the gearbox as long as you replace it with anything suitable. But in the end he bought the whole bike as the 250 JAP engine is also extremely rare. When he removed the gearbox, it unbelievably has the same number as his engine.
As it happens and very unlike Triumph not to use a frame and other parts from previous models. The frame is quite unique for the 3TW. He noticed that a Tiger Cub front frame section was very similar, so a frame was obtained and modification to the length of the headstock were under construction when I visited last week.

The rear frame was initially mocked up with copper tube which he's now replaced and brazed up with the appropriate steel tube. Wheels have been built with the correct hubs and one of the other items that came from France was a 3TW front brake plate, which has a different orientation for the brake lever than the other Triumph lightweight models and also has a fitting for the brake cable adjuster....Which again supersedes the rod brake on all the others.
He also hand made the oil tank with its built in air filter.
The forks that are required are mainly identical to the Webb forks fitted to 3HW's but with the addition of side check springs.
These are the latest pictures with a long way to go. ........We believe the Beaulieu exhibit is the only example which we think was made up from surviving parts. Ron
DSCF3764
DSCF3765

I notice the cylinder head is still fitted with exhaust stubs - typical triumph
The 3TW head from what I have seen so far has threaded ports & a clamp secured with a c spanner
He’s doing a great job on it especially the frame
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Quite right John and I'm rapidly learning more and more about this model. I guess it's a case of beggars can't be choosers. Maybe the head is off a later 3T? Ron
IMG-3484

I bought a 3T project with 1944 dated cases & a 3TW cylinder head fitted - I have exhaust pipes too for it

It was reputed to be a war time pre production model

Jo’b

Ron when you go to Beaulieu to see the 3TW have a look as to how the fork rebound springs are mounted - i.e. similar to Nortons where they were fitted directly to the top and bottom fork links. If not directly fitted to the top links I may have a spare set I can help with.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

John if you want to sell any of those parts, could you take to Kempton please.

Keith will do and be in touch.

Cheers Ron

I took a lot of pictures of the one in Beaulieu

Rob

DSCF8380

DSCF8381

DSCF8374

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Rob Miller
I took a lot of pictures of the one in Beaulieu

Rob

Thanks Rob - top links appear to be standard as fitted to pre-war MAC / MDD. Top headlamp brackets appear to have similarities to Matchless G3L and centre mudguard fixing to the forks appears similar to Norton 16H

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Sent a mail Ron

Cheers Keith/John
Now that I come to study it a bit more, The forks are indeed much more like the pre bump stop version Webb forks on the Velo MAC's.
This thread should really be moved from "Sales" if the moderators are watching. Ron
VELO-MDD-635-UXG-015
VELO-MDD-635-UXG-017

Nieuwe pagina 1