Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Report errors here

Pitchfork's lists were moved, here are the new links:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/36725/Staff_List_Top_100_Albums_of_the_1970s/page_1

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/36736/Top_100_Albums_of_the_1980s

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/36737/Staff_List_Top_100_Albums_of_the_1990s

I couldn't find the other, original 90s list. They seem to have been very careless about moving the lists, all the picture links are broken and they actually lost one page of the 70s list (albums 21-30). You can find that list complete and with write-ups for each album here:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/unj/pitchforkmedias_top_100_albums_of_the_70s/

There in the middle of moving stuff about in the site and they had some technical problems.

Beyonce...

not sure if this happens elsewhere, but a couple of year-end listings for "Crazy in Love" are under the "All Time" lists. Minor, but just wanted to point out.

JR, I don't understand your comment and I can't find any errors for Beyonce...?

I think JR's right, Henrik. The VH1 and Face "Singles of the Year" lists are currently listed under the All-Time heading for "Crazy in Love". As JR says, it's minor, but worth noting anyway.

Now I see the error! I think it's an erroneous categorization for all EOY lists without ranking.

JR and Harold, thanks to you both for the correction.

Hi there Henrik-

I love the new update! The expansion to 3000 is great, but it still lists them as the "All Time Top 2500" in the left tab, even after deleting cookies. Very minor.

The Top 1001-1200 Songs List is linking to the Top 1001 - 1200 Albums

Songhai

Hi! Being a Spaniard, I checked to see if finally we had representation in the new update. And yes! Two of them! The bad news is that, in songs, we are being represented by Macarena from Los Del Río (please notice the accent). Not that bad, Ketama entered the albums list at 2464 with Songhai. Ketama are a sort of Spanish flamenco group with rock, folk, blues, Brazilian... influences, and in this album they worked together with Toumani Diabate, a kora player from Mali, and Danny Thompson, a well-known folk bass player from UK.

This said... The album is atributed to Songhai, but there never has been a group with that name, it was just the album title: it was signed by Ketama/Toumani Diabate/Danny Thompson. And then, Songhai has been considered a group from Mali; not so. Ketama are from Spain, Toumani Diabate from Mali and Danny Thompson from UK.

Blondie

A very minor one:

Blondie's "Denis" was available on the album Plastic Letters[/i], which was released in 1977. It is currently listed on the "bubbling under" songs list for 1978.

McCartney & Wings

With his new entry at 2935 in the albums list (Chaos and creation in the backyard), McCartney has been considered as a completely different artist to Paul McCartney & Wings (different links, different artist rank). I think that's wrong, as, for example, Ram was not credited to Wings (they did not exist at taht time) but to Paul & Linda McCartney.

Bruce Springsteen's I'm On Fire was credited as a b-side to Born In The USA. Garry Mulholland included it in his 500 Greatest Singles since Punk and Disco yet this is not included in the songs link.

So many errors found at once!

They will all be fixed, however most of them in the next update.

Thanks!

Bruce Springsteen's I'm On Fire was credited as a b-side to Born In The USA. Garry Mulholland included it in his 500 Greatest Singles since Punk and Disco yet this is not included in the songs link.

Could you please confirm this, as "I'm on Fire" is not listed at http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/thisisuncool.htm
and I couldn't find the list anuwhere else on the web. Thanks!

Unless specifically referring to The Avalanches re-mix. "I'm A Cuckoo" first appeared on the 2003 album Dear Catastrophe Waitress. It's on the 2004 songs list at the moment.

"United States of Whatever" was a single in 2002.

Doves' "Cedar Room" first appeared on 1998's Cedar EP.

Everywhere I've looked have told me that Liam Lynch song came out in 2003. Are you sure about 2002?

I agree with your other findings. Thanks!

First entered UK chart on 07/12/2002 at #10 and was NME Single of the week iirc.

I see.

Polyhex (http://www.polyhex.com/music/chartruns/chartruns.php) confirms this and is a very useful tool for checking any top 75 single.

The link of Eagle Rock Classic Albums TV series goes to "Classic Rock" 100 Greatest British Albums Ever.

Depeche Mode's Violator has been upgraded to 5 stars on AMG: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:569sa9cgb23k

Yes!

I've been surfing this website for a couple of weeks now, and I must say it is simply awesome! 10 out of 10, if you want.

So here's my humble contribution to keep up this terrific work:
There are two different entries for "Palace Brothers" and "THE Palace Brothers", which really looks like a mistake.
Furthermore I suggest joining these entries with the one for Bonnie "Prince" Billy, since it's virtually the same artist (just as you did e.g. with Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention, Funkadelic/Parliament, Janis Joplin/Big Brother).

Good suggestion!

I'll make the change for the next update.

While surfing on Julian's Site I noticed that at the bottom of the "All Time Top 100 Albums Of All Time" published in 2000 by Melody Maker he included a little note concerning the album "Actually" by The Pet Shop Boys which gets placed twice. Apparently there was an editing error and the place 45 should be going to the album "Behaviour"...

This is confusing!!!!!

Clearly, the MM staff corrected the error saying that the number 45 album should have been "Behaviour". But the statement is confusing since there is also this note from Julian:
NB: The Pet Shop Boys 'Actually' gets placed twice, once at 74 and again at 45. At 74 it's listed as a 1987 release and at 45 it's listed as a 1986 release. Not quite sure what that's all about."

Based on that information (I think the MM scan has been added later) I interpreted Julian's note as if PSB's 1986 album "Please" was intended at number 45. But well, I guess I have to change this now given the "new" MM scan info, even if "Behaviour" came out in 1990...

The list can be found at http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/maker100.htm

Basement Jaxx's "Bubbling Over" Single from 2005 is called "Oh My Gosh" not "Oh My God"

The original 1950 album's title is "The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert". "Live at Carnegie Hall" is the title of its 1987 reissue.

Shaun

Also, subconscious is mispelled in Lee Konitz's "Subconscious-Lee".

Shaun

In addition to those, I can't find evidence of an earlier release for Johnny Smith's Moonlight In Vermont than Roost's in 1956.

Shaun

According to Johnny Smith's album discography at allmusic.com, 'Moonlight in Vermont' is from 1952. However, when you open the album page it says that it was recorded in 1952-1953. Allmusic does this all the time and I hate it. It's not a trustworthy source at all, but sometimes I'm lazy and use their info anyway.

Anyway, you are correct that it wasn't released until 1956. Thanks for this and the other two corrections!

I have that copy of MM and what Olivier Moinet says up thread is indeed correct despite the confusion in the note about the years.

J Dilla

The links to J Dilla's albums Donuts and The Shining go to two seperate pages.

I saw that "Against the Grain" was listed in the Artists section under Bad Company when it should be Bad Religion.

Yes, I saw this awful mistake yesterday and was wondering how long it would take until someone else would notice.

Although it wasn't released as a single until 1998, Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" appeared on Dion's 1997 album ''Let's Talk About Love,'' as well as the 1997 film ''Titanic.''

In regards to the Paul McCartney issue, the song "Maybe I'm Amazed," although re-released as a live recording by Wings in 1976, the original 1970 version was recorded by Paul McCartney as a solo artist and appeared on his debut album, ''McCartney.''

In my opinion, I would combine 'Paul McCartney' and 'Paul McCartney and Wings' as one artist, much like the Recording Industry Association of America does, or how 'John Lennon' and 'John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band' are considered the same artist.

Under Artist Lists, Mink Deville is filed under D instead of M.
Mink Deville was a band name, only Willy Deville was a solo artist.

From allmusic.com:

"Although a product of the New York punk scene, at heart Mink DeVille was a soul band with roots in R&B, the blues and even Cajun music. The group was a showcase for frontman Willy DeVille (born William Boray in 1953), a native New Yorker who in 1971 travelled to London to form a band; unable to find compatible musicians, he worked as a solo performer before returning to the U.S. and settling in San Francisco, where he founded the first incarnation of Mink DeVille in 1974 with bassist Ruben Siguenza and drummer Tom "Manfred" Allen."

When I click on "Uptight" on Stevie Wonder's page, it takes me to Dylan's "The Times They Are A Changing".

1) I am not sure it is an error, but I do not understand why "Shout" (I & II) and "Shout" (I) have separate entries. One is only the extended version of the other. Should they not be counted as one song?

2) "I'm on Fire" was not the B-side of "Born in the U.S.A" (at least not in America). "USA"'s b-side was "Shut Out the Light." "I'm on Fire" was the fifth of seven singles taken from the USA. The single peaked at number six in 1985.

1) I used to list the song as "Shout 1" and "Shout 2", but then combined it into "1 and 2". It's a mistake that "Shout 2" is still there.

2) "I'm on Fire" was first released on the "Born in the U.S.A." album in 1984. As far as I can see it's listed as a song on its own, as it should be. If it's listed anywhere together with "Born in the U.S.A" (as a B-side) then that's an error.

I've been collecting several minor errors over the last few weeks:

1) Concerning allmusic-ratings:

Nellie McKay - "Get Away From Me" gets 4 Stars instead of 3.5

The Adverts - "Crossing The Red Sea With...": 4.5 instead of 5

The Postal Service - "Give Up": 3.5 instead of 3

The Pretty Things - "The Pretty Things": 4 instead of 4.5

Refused - "The Shape Of Punk To Come": 4.5 instead of 4

Royal Trux - "Twin Infinitives": 3.5 instead of 3

Marty Robbins - "Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs": 4.5 instead of 5

allmusic-ratings, that have not been included yet:

The Coral - "Magic & Medicine": 4 Stars

Louis Prima - "The Wildest!": 5 Stars

McLusky - "McLusky Do Dallas": 4.5 Stars

2) Some misspellings of artists' names:

"Joan Osborne" (without "u", different from Ozzy)
"George McCrae" (not "McRae")
"Tone-Loc" (not "Toné Loc")

3) I think that Lightnin' Hopkins and Skip James should be filed under "H" and "J" respectively, since "Hopkins" and "James" are their regular last names. It's vice versa for Muddy Waters (to be filed under "M", imho)

Cheers!

Not an error with a list, but when you abbreviate a decade, the apostrophe goes in front of the first number, not after the 0.
90's = NO
'90s = YES

Spanish spelling

Some corrections Regarding Spanish spelling:

Mongo Santamaria: should be Mongo Santamaría
Ruben Gonzalez: should be Rubén González
Reves/Yosoy (Café Tacuba album): should be Revés/Yosoy
Esquivel!: should be Esquivel (in some of his albums his name appears with exclamation marks, but that’s not his artistic name; anyway, in Spanish you should have spelled “¡Esquivel!”, including an opening exclamation mark, exclusive of our language as far as I know).
Ruben Bladés: should be Rubén Blades
Los Del Rio: should be Los Del Río

The album "Far Cry" by Eric Dolphy with Booker Little is filed under Booker Ervin instead of Booker Little.

Uptight

When I click on the SONG "Uptight" on Stevie Wonder's page I am still taken to Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changing".

Tim, this will be changed in the next site update.

Hi Henrik,

I like Lauryn Hill, and basically I trust the acclaimed calculation. Now my question, is Misseducation really -the- album of 1998. My used cd dealer does not accept it, nor can I sell/swap it online.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

Pittermann

Why selling if you like Lauryn?

Ray Charles "I've Got A Woman"

Hi, Henrik. Long time no see.
Just to say this song is actually 571st at Q's list, not 871st.

Have a nice weekend.
(Hope I can post some lists I've got of these days. It's been a while since I contributed.)

I just found that the Bob Dylan song "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" is listed as "Don't Think Twice, It's All Over".

the link to Stylus 2006 singles list leads to their 2005 singles list

Oops, that 2006 link error was an error for most of the magazines. But it should be fixed now.

Thanks for this and all other corrections (which will be done in the next update).

A Love Supreme (Part I: Acknowledgement)
Pursuance/Part 4 - Psalm

These names seem a little inconsistent.

Also, I found this review:
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/238528/nevermind

It gives Nevermind 3 stars rather than the 4 you have.

That 3-star NEVERMIND review is almost certainly the now-infamous one that appeared in the original ROLLING STONE magazine when the album came out in 1991. The 4-star review is from one of the ROLLING STONE album guide books, which have nothing to do with what may have appeared in the magazine.

Ah, alright. My bad then.

All time # 99

John Lennon "Imagine" and
TV on Radio "Return to Cookie Mountain"

Are you typing in only Rock-Lists, since for example Kraut and Tom Waits albums are not very high acclaimend. But from my point of view those had utmost impact. Is there really a need for so many albums with guitar solos that are based on Chuck Berry´s invention.

Herbert, the reason there appear to be two #99 albums is that the 2006 list hasn't yet been fully integrated into the master list as it appears on the site. On the main list, RETURN TO COOKIE MOUNTAIN is still listed at #223, where it was ranked at the time Henrik posted the last full site update; with all the 2006 best-of lists factored in, the album would now rank #99. Henrik actually explains this on the 2006 page, but it may not be obvious at first glance.

I think the Illinois album by Sufjan Stevens should be named Illinoise rather than Illinois?

Nevermind that, Amazon has it tagged as Illinoise for some reason but it is called Illinois. My bad.

Most sites (almost all) have Guns N' Roses while you have Guns 'n' Roses. Which one is right? :D

Genesis on rank 257 and Can on rank 168?

hi im a mars volta fan and i noticed that the allmusic.com score for deloused in the comatorium is actually higher than what your site lists it as...

Your site says 4 stars and amg says 4.5

just a minor difference...

Henrik, I was looking at the individual pages for Beatles songs and discovered that all the links for "Ticket to Ride" lead to the info page for "California Dreamin'". I don't think anyone's caught this before.

I have no idea how this happened. Extremely odd. Everything was correct on my computer, so I uploaded the page again and now it looks OK...

The Top Songs from 1991 has "Massive" instead of "Massive Attack" for the song Unfinished Sympathy.

Pomtidom, that's actually not an error. "Unfinished Sympathy" was in fact released as a single under the name Massive. The reason? The group was pressured into briefly shortening its name because Gulf War I had just started and British radio thought "Massive Attack" was too violent a name! I might be oversimplifying this a bit, but I'm _not_ kidding.

Maybe I'm amazed

Hi. As said before, Paul McCartney & Paul McCartney and Wings (and, in fact, Paul and Linda McCartney, as Ram is on the list) should be merged as one entry. Anyway, as every song and album have their own credit, the artist attached to the song 'Maybe I'm amazed' should be corrected: it's not Wings but Paul McCartney: the song is from the 1970 album 'McCartney', credited to Paul. Wings were created in 1971, being 'Wings wild life' their first album (third for McCartney after leaving The Beatles).

Glups... Daniel already noticed it. Sorry for having it twice.

I see Harold, thanks for clearing that up. :)

I notice Joe Lovano Quartets: Live at the Village Vanguard is on the list for 1994. Actually it was released--and, in fact, the second disk was recorded--in 1995.

Btw, your site is a great resource!

I didn't see this topic here, so I already opened a new topic for it by mistake. Sorry!

But the song "I'll be there for you/ You're all I need to get by" by Method Man feat. Mary J. Blige is listed two times in the Top 3000.
The first time as "You're all I need to get by" at #668; the second time at #1208 as "I'll be there for you". They even appear both in the year list of 1995 at #10 & #19.

The metacritic score of "The Meadowlands" by The Wrens is 85, not 91.
The metacritic score of "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones is 82, not 81.

tfguenther: I will correct the mistake for "I'll be there for you/ You're all I need to get by" in the next update.

Zet: A LOT of the metascores were changed some time ago. I will change all of them when I get time to do it.

Thanks!

The link for the artist "Jürgen Paape" doesn't work.

Timmy Thomas, not "Timothy".
Brilliant site !

Shouldn't Say It Ain't So by Weezer be a 1994 song?

tfguenther, ghmyrtle, Mitchell,
You're all correct. Thanks!

PS. I'm glad I included Bert in my first post. I like seeing him every time I reply in this thread. Although this is an error thread, he sorta makes the problems go away.

The links for info on the Rolling Stones' "That's How Strong My Love Is" lead instead to the page for Bob Dylan's "Every Grain of Sand".

Fixed.

Re: Nick Cave

Henrik, Can you explain how Nick Cave's "There She Goes, My Beautiful World" featured in NINE critics lists in 2004 and didn't make the cut and others had less but did. Do certain critic's lists have weight over others?

Gizmo,

You're probably right that this is a mistake. I will add it in the next update. Thanks!

hey Henrik:

Godspeed You Black Emperor's F#a#Infinity album is listed as 1997, but allmusic.com and the CD sleeve I have says its a 1998 album. I even looked up one of your links to an NME end-of-year list archive, thinking that perhaps the album was released in Europe earlier. They list the album in their end of year 1998 list.

Great update!

The Stone Roses link, however, seems to be broken...

Arctic Monkeys Fake Tales of San Fran. is from 2005.

Have seen anything else on the new update... yet!

Mitchell, I believe you, but was it released as a single?

Sort of, it was the lead track on the Five Minutes with The Arctic Monkeys EP from May 2005 (along with 'From The Ritz To The Rubble')

Minor error - Buffy Sainte-Marie is not listed in the Top Artists from Canada; she is from the province of Saskatchewan.

Keep up the good work Henrik!!!

A couple of longstanding minor errors in album titles:

The title of A Tribe Called Quest's debut is PEOPLE'S INSTINCTIVE TRAVELS AND THE PATHS OF RHYTHM.

Will Oldham's 1993 Palace Brothers album is properly titled THERE IS NO-ONE WHAT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU. (Off-topic note: If ever there was a song whose mere -title- perfectly encapsulates what its writer is all about, it's the name of one of Oldham's songs on this album - "[I Was Drunk at the] Pulpit".)

Thanks for letting me know of these errors!

The link to Rolling Stones 500 best songs of all-time takes me to the 500 best albums of all-time.

narcos calle del tigre acapulco

calle del tigre narcos reinciden apologia del delito ayuda narcos roble dos y cuatro hembras rameras solo barren y roban la calle como perras callejderas de escondite roble ocho acapulco narco camion 446rk9

I agree with

Henrik, thanks to www.freetranslation.com we can translate that post into English:

"silence of the drug tiger they repeat apologia of the crime helps drug oak tree two and four female alone prostitutes sweep and they steal the street as dogs callejderas of hideout oak tree eight acapulco drug camion 446rk9"

Yeah, that didn't really help much.

In the Louis Armstrong artist page "Ella and Louis Again" is above "Ella and Louis", it should be flipped for chronological order.

Henrik, I just noticed that the Flaming Lips song "Race for the Prize" is listed as "Race for the Price".

Kraftwerk's '77 album is Trans-EUROPE Express not Trans-EUROPA Express

I take that back? Looks like the issues are mottled with both spellings.

Collin, I am using the German spelling, the title of their record in Kraftwerk's home country.

Harold, I will make that Flaming Lips change with the next update.

Henrik, for your next update this friendly reminder what I wrote to you during the 90's poll: The La's are with small 'a', not capital 'A'.

#65 on the All Time Top 3000 songs has it listed as Massive but it links to Massive Attack.

1 2 3