Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Report errors here

That's because it -is- Massive Attack. I think this has been mentioned before on this forum, but for a brief period their record company (I think) made them drop the "Attack" from their name because of the Gulf War (yes, it's as stupid as it sounds). It wouldn't really make a lot of sense for Henrik to have a separate entry for "Massive".

I don't know why so many websites are getting this wrong - actually, I do know why, it's a cumbersome album title - but Of Montreal's album is titled HISSING FAUNA, ARE YOU THE DESTROYER? It's not OH HISSING FAUNA, etc.

Dizzy Gillespie's GILLESPIANA and THE CARNEGIE HALL CONCERT are two separate albums, which have been combined onto a single CD. Since Fast N' Bulbous specifies the former in its list, it should probably take pride of place here. (Gillespie's discography can be fittingly dizzying; good luck trying to figure out which of the many, many releases identically titled GROOVIN' HIGH is the album listed on Acclaimed Music. For the record, it seems to be the one originally issued on the Savoy label, with the title printed in quotation marks on the cover.)

A small one...

Underworld's "dubnobasswithmyheadman" is listed with a capital D

How is Garth Brooks' "The Dance" so high on the singles list when it only appears on 3 all-time lists, two of which are specific to country? There are songs below it that are on as many or more lists, and those lists are for all genres. That just seems odd.

You have Rufus Wainwright - Release The Stars listed as (USA) in the most acclaimed albums of 2007; as I'm sure you know, it should be (Canada)eh!

And just a reminder that Buffy Sainte-Marie needs a correction as she is also Canadian.

Keep up the good work Henrik!

Not sure if this is considered an error or not.

The Beta Band has "The Three E.P.s" listed as one of the top albums, but when I checked it out on Wikipedia (ya I know it's not that reliable) it says it's a compilation.

Oy ... we've been over and over this with THE 3 EP's. Yes, technically it's a compilation of, uh, three EP's. But it's always talked about as an album, and considered an album, so it's included here (same for Fugazi's 13 SONGS, a compilation of two EP's).

The line can be nebulous sometimes. Soundtracks containing songs by more than one artist are compilations by definition, but you wouldn't dream of not including, say, SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER or THE HARDER THEY COME. On the other hand, I've been lobbying Henrik for years to include THE SUN SESSIONS and the Buzzcocks' SINGLES GOING STEADY, but no dice so far.

I thought I had seen it here before, but you seem to be missing Rolling Stone's best albums of the '80s list.
None of the albums I've looked at that were on that list are not credited with it in the list of all-time/decade best of lists. For example, Purple Rain was No. 2 on the list.

This might be just how they spell it in Australia, but Nick Cave's
"Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus" is listed as
"Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus"

Thanks for all the latest comments. I'll get back to all this when I get nearer the next site update.

In regards to the Rolling Stone '80s list. You have the Australian version listed, which was similar to, but not the same as the U.S. publication. For example, '1999' was No. 16 U.S. list, but was replaced by Paul Kelly's 'Post' in Australian list.

I know that Jazz Discography is quite tricky but I see that Miles Davis' "Birth of a Cool" is listed for several different release dates.
Acclaimedmusic.net = 1954
Miles Davis' official website = 1949
Wikipedia = June 1950

Now this seems to apply to most of his earlier albums it seems, I'm not really sure why every website seems to have a different release date unless they considered re-issues.

http://milesdavis.com/music_discography.asp

Ice-T's acclaimed album O.G. Original Gangster does not have a dash in the title. You have it listed as O.G. - Original Gangster.

Cheers,
Neil

T-Bone Burnett's "Proof Through the Night" is listed as "Proof through the Night"

With Nick Cave everything of his listed on this site is under Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds but only if you directly click on the album or song. You may aswell put it on the lists itself.

Some of these are verging on ridiculous

Henrik, I’ve got a doubt while I’m preparing my list of 1982: the “Violent Femmes” first album was released in 1982 or 1983? According to various sources it was released in 1982 (Rate your music, Rockdelux, Wikipedia – in this one 30 November 1982 is listed as the date of release – and even the Violent Femmes official page). But many other sources list it as 1983 (allmusic, discogs). In my own CD (although being the 1991 European CD release by London Records) is listed as 1983 Slash Records.
What do you think about it?

Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" is shown as Chile

Dude ...

Sonic Youth's side project thingy is listed as Chiccone Youth and should be Ciccone Youth without the h.

Max Roach doesn't get credit for the "Jazz at Massey Hall"

Also Charlie Parker's AM page shows "Jazz at Massey Hall/The Greatest Jazz Concert Ever" when Dizzy Charlie and Bud's all say "Jazz at Massey Hall".

Henrik, the song Bang from Yeah Yeah Yeahs is the opener on their 2001 debut EP release (called Yeah Yeah Yeahs).

In AM the song is ranked #1451, but the year listed is 2002.

Error?

Andre, I didn't know the Yeah Yeah Yeahs EP was released in 2001. All (or most) critics had the EP listed in their 2002 EOY lists.

To all:
Thanks for your error comments. I'll check them when I get closer to the next site update.

The Kante album from 2006 is called "Die Tiere sind unruhig" without a d in the last word.

Frank Sinatra has "My Way" listed twice. Once on #2506 and once bubbling under. Both are mentioned on 1 different critic list and both are mentioned as entering the Grammy Hall of Fame.

Steely Dan's "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" is listed as "Rikki Don't Loose That Number"

*loose

Stealers Wheel is listed as Stealer's Wheel and the only song they have (Stuck In The Middle With You) is from their 1972 debut album so it should be from 1972 rather than 1973.

The bubbling under Nirvana song called "You Know You're Right" is incorrectly written as "You Know Your Right".

I think "The Arcade Fire" should be "Arcade Fire".

A Tribe Called Quest's "People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm" is listed as "People's Instinctive Travels by Paths and Rhythms".

The Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize?" needs two question marks.

Beggar's Banquet should be Beggars Banquet I believe.

Updated All Music Guide rating for Patti Smith's album "Gone Again" (http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/A976.htm)

Changed from 2.5 to 3.5:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hzfrxqrhldse

Not really an error but....
Which Brimful of Asha is ranked? The original or the Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim) version?

Re: "Brimful of Asha" - I can't speak for Henrik, but I would guess that since both the album version and the remix are credited to Cornershop, all mentions of both are combined into one ranking. Otherwise it would be like having separate entries for the edited single versions of long songs like, say, "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "All Right Now".

Correct, Harold.

Okay, thanks :)

Sorted for E's and Wizz by pulp is listed as
Sorted by E's and Wiss
Sorry henrik, I hate pointing out tiny little mistakes on such an amazing site.

Tiny bits: Weezer's #2237 of 1994, "Undone - The Sweater Song" is listed as "Undone - The Sweeter Song".

Paul McCartney's #0835 of 1970, "Maybe I'm Amazed", is listed as being by Wings, but it was from Paul's first solo album, and Wings didn't exist yet as of then.

Another minor: Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs (artist #819 with Wooly Bully from 1965 that is song #443) have been written as Sam the Sham and The Pharaos. So yeah, just one H.

"New Boots and Panties!!" - album #317, is not actually by Ian Dury & The Blockheads, just by Ian Dury. The Blockheads didn't exist yet at the time. The same goes for single #851, "Sex and Drugs and Rock'n'roll".

"10 CC" were actually called "10cc". Yeah, I know - tinies.

Ella And Louis Again was released in 1957, not 1956

Shouldn't the one song of artist 1206 (Chick Webb) be moved to Ella Fitzgerald? Chick Webb was the band leader, it's true - but band leaders aren't taken into consideration on the site, but instead the artists they back are.

The AMG rating for "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood" should be added (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fpfqxq9dldhe).

Elliott Smith's 2004 album "From a Basement on the Hill" is incorrectly listed as "From a Basement on a Hill".

Sweet's song "The Ballroom Blitz" (#2927) was, indeed, a big hit in 1975, but it was released in 1973 really.

Song #2557, by Spandau Ballet, titled "Chant No. 1 (I Don't Need This Pressure On)", has mistakenly been written on the site as "Chant No. 1 (We Don't Need This Pressure On)" (albeit, such a tiny mistake).

Also, Billy Ward & The Dominoes (who have song #2532) have been written as Billy Ward & The Dominos. (this one too)

Henrik, could you please regard song #2031 (Angelo Badalamenti - "Twin Peaks Theme" from 1990) as the exact same thing as #2413 (Julee Cruise - "Falling" from 1989), please? (been meaning to tell you this, but kept forgetting)

Because "Falling" = "Twin Peaks Theme" + Julee Cruise's vocals.

To quote Wikipedia, about Angelo:

After scoring a variety of mainstream films, including A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, he scored Lynch's cult television show, Twin Peaks, which featured the vocals of Julee Cruise. Many of the songs from the series were released on Cruise's album Floating Into the Night.

I'm thinking that this situation is just like Cornershop's "Brimful Of Asha", with the Fatboy Slim remix and all. Except in Brimful's case, the two songs are actually more different between each other.

I am suggesting that you keep the entry for "Falling", instead of the other one, because the song is sweeter with vocals.

Song #372 has been written as "Tennesee" instead of "Tennessee".

(To clarify, yhe song in the post above is the one by Arrested Development.)

!!!'s #790, "Me and Giuliani Down the Schoolyard (A True Story)", is actually "Me and Giuliani Down by the Schoolyard (A True Story)".

While A-ha's "Take On Me" was indeed on an album released in 1985 it was released as a single in 1984.

Busta Rhymes' #1742 song Put Your Hand Where My Eyes Can See is actually called Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Could See.

Interpol's "PDA" - standing at #2174 - is placed as a 2000 song on the site, instead of, you know, 2002. And 2000 is indeed when it first came out - on the Fukd ID EP in December 2000, and in another version one month later on the Precipitate EP - but the critics' lists used on the site indicate it's the 2002 version that got the acclaim; three out of those four lists refer to the debut album, and the last one points at the Interpol EP from the same year.

Song #1919 = Tori Amos' "Professional Widow (Armand's Star Trunkin' Funk Mix)" is in fact called "Professional Widow (Armand's Star Trunk Funkin' Mix)".

Quad City DJ's' #1495 "C'mon Ride It (The Train)" is in fact called "C'mon N' Ride It (The Train)".

Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians (1978) entry on Pitchfork Media's Top 100 Albums of the 1970s (as #53) is not included on the "best of all-time lists" section of that album.

Willie Nelson's "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" is at number 302 on RS's 500 greatest songs list, which isn't listed or included.

Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" is at #301 on the same list, not 302.

Hi, Henrik.

The song "Boss Boss" by The Sonics is in fact called "Boss Hoss", I believe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Are_The_Sonics

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=33:3vfrxcyhldhe

Keep up your incredibly excellent work.

"Vienna" by Ultravox seems to have definitely been released in 1981 instead of the site's 1980.

The album it's on was released in 1980 though.

Well, there are lots of songs listed as being from one year after the album...

Anyway.

Tony Bennet with a song at #1546 is listed as "Bennett, Tony" in the songs list. That's odd.

It is Bennett with two t's, if that's what you mean.

And if you know any songs that are listed as one year after the album, they're errors, and you should report them I suppose.

It is Bennett with two t's, if that's what you mean.

No, it's not what I mean - the T was a typo of mine. I mean the artist appears as Bennett, Tony instead of Tony Bennett, comma included and all.

Check.

#1320: Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum was from 1969.

#1621: Weather Report's "Birdland" is from 1977.

The Birthday Part's bubbling under "song" called "Bad Seed" doesn't actually exist. It was an EP that New Musical Express and Schlager voted for in their end-of-year lists, but it has no song called "Bad Seed" on it.

Checko.

I think you should remove it.

David Byrne doesn't seem to get credit for "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts", but Brian Eno does.

Artist 'Rythim Is Rythim" should be "Rhythim Is Rhythim".

Song #739, "Timeless/Inner City Life" by "Goldie Presents Metalheadz", should be simply by "Goldie". Metalheadz was simply a record label started by Goldie. The song itself should probably be called "Timeless (Part I: Inner City Life)".

Or better yet, simply "Inner City Life". That's what the single release was called.

Most critics voted for "Inner City Life" as opposed to the whole song, so I imagine it should be fine.

Digital Underground's #1608 should be called "Doowutchyalike".

Henrik, this is really complicated stuff - but Bob Marley's "Stir It Up" and "Lively Up Yourself" seem to be the later releases in the critics' lists. You can't really know for sure; "Duppy Conqueror", for example, seems to clearly be supposed to have its 1970 version as the acclaimed one. But perhaps this isn't the case for the others?

Mismaiome, you and schleuse said in another thread that "I think that if the critical consensus is to acclaim a later (perhaps improved) version, the later date should be used."

While I said "Always going for the original version/year seems to be the easiest way to handle this."

Maybe you are getting closer to my view on this...

Sometimes the original version just isn't that memorable.

By the way, DJ Zink (who has song #2890) is actually called DJ Zinc.

I've got one ! I've got one !
XTC's song Dear God is listed in 1987 it is in Skylarking which is listed and release in 1986.
That's the proof that I study carefully to make my 86 list !

Tiny one: song #944, "Devil with a Blue Dress & Good Golly Miss Molly" should be ""Devil with a Blue Dress on & Good Golly Miss Molly".

Camper Van Beethoven's #1089 "Take the Skinheads Bowling" is from 1985.

I've carefully listened to the 1968 "Stir It Up" and the 1973 version. It really seems like the latter is the acclaim-worthy one.

Randy Travis' #1865, "On the Other Hand", seems to be from 1985, not 1988.

Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me" (#1348) is listed as being from 1979. However, the song is from 1977. But there's the rub: the acclaimed version of the song, and the best-known by the public too, is in fact the live one from "At Budokan" released in 1978. As such, you should change the year to 1978 and change the song's name to "I Want You To Want Me (Live At Budokan)".

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' song "Oooh, Baby Baby" is, uh, actually called "Ooo Baby Baby".

#1254, Billy Bragg's "Levi Stubb's Tears" is named after Levi Stubbs, the sings of The Four Tops, so it's rather "Levi Stubbs' Tears".

The sings of The Four Tops? What was I thinking? How does someone even make a "typo" like that? I suck. (I suppose I was thinking "the guy who sings for The Four Tops", and so I picked up the verb from that thought whilst not following the rest of the already written sentence; I tend to do that.) )

Although the song did well in Germany, it languished on British charts until a remix of the song was released by Timo Maas. The remix's popularity catapulted the song to a #8 position on British charts.

About Azzido Da Bass' "Doom Nights". I've never found a single compilation - ever - that contained the original song instead of the Timo Maas remix. Additionally, the Q Magazine list does point out it's the Maas remix; and I strongly believe the other lists were referring to that remix too, but simply forgot to mention that they were because the remix was the only version to them.

Seriously, no one has ever heard the original. Maybe cahnge the song's name to "Doom Nights (Timo Maas Remix)"? It's the defining one.

Max Romeo's #2342, "War in a Babylon", ought to be "War ina Babylon".

As should Wire's #2575 be "Three Girl Rhumba", not "Three Girl Rumba".

Minor Threat's #2220, "Straight Edge", is from a 1981 EP, not from 1984.

Same with their bubbling under "Minor Threat" song.

Suicidal Tendencies' #2769 "Instituionalized" should be called "Institutionalized".

The Nails' "88 Lines About 44 Women":

Hotel for Women, an EP recorded in 1981, contained an early version of "88 Lines About 44 Women", a song that caught the attention of RCA. The Nails were signed to RCA By Bruce Harris, also known for bringing The Clash to America. In 1984 "88 Lines About 44 Women" was re-recorded for RCA and included on The Nails' full-length debut LP, Mood Swing.

I suppose it'd be from 1984 rather than the current 1982, or at least 1981.

Hehe. This is easily the strangest mistake so far.

You know how The Wailers' "Duppy Conqueror" is #2675, yeah? As shown clearly on the Bob Marley page, and the regular 2600-2800 list too.

Well, the band War have a song on the same spot too. It's called "Spill The Wine", and when you click on it you're taken to "Duppy Conqueror", although they have no connection whatsoever.

Thanks mismaiome, well and all others for your error findings. The last one has been corrected already...

Toots & The Maytals: this song (#1713) should be listed as from 1969, I say.

I'm thinking mismaiome and well might be the same disturbed individual.

Could you make Tubeway Army the same entity as Gary Numan? If Funkadelic can be the same as Parliament, this should be okay too.

I'm thinking mismaiome and well might be the same disturbed individual.

Did you hear it through the grapevine?

I ain't tellin' on my grapevines.

1 2 3