Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Report errors here

Don't mix wine with beer, they say.

The Fugs' debut came out in 1965. This is correctly noted on AM, but what isn't is the fact that "Boobs a Lot" (#2741), and as such is from 1965 too, not 1966.

Yeah, I suppose #-users are likely to be the same person. That's acceptable logic. For now.

Above I meant: "Boobs a Lot" (#2741) is from it, and as such is from 1965 too, not 1966. Me, word-forgetter. Awful.

By the way.

Bunny Berrigan's name was actually Bunny Berigan.

Also, would you consider cutting out "& His Orchestra" whenever it occurs? Because lots of folks had orchestras. Even Billie Holiday was, back in the day, Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra. And Duke Elligton was Duke Ellington & His Orchestra. So I suppose Berigan, Tommy Dorsey, and others can be without Their Orchestras in Their Names too.

Following up on that, Sonny Boy Williamsson (II)'s name was, moreover, Sonny Boy Williamson (II), and Francoise Hardy's "Toue les garcons et les filles" was called "Tous les garçons et les filles".

Two corrections regarding jazz albums:

The Joe Lovano live album should be titled QUARTETS - LIVE AT THE VILLAGE VANGUARD and simply be credited to Joe Lovano, not Joe Lovano Quartets.

More significantly, ELLA IN ROME: THE BIRTHDAY CONCERT should be listed as a 1988 album rather than a 1958 one - not only wasn't the album released until 1988, Verve wasn't even aware the recording -existed- until then. (AllMusic doesn't make this clear at all, but the liner notes of the album itself tell the story.)

The John Barry Orchestra's "James Bond Theme" should be credited to the Monty Norman Orchestra. It appears on such on official Bond music compilations too; John Barry only got involved with Dr. No after Monty had already done the score, for some polishing. Article.

The Young Rascals' main entry is "The Rascals", so it makes sense that "People Got To Be Free" - credited to "The Rascals" back in the day - should be credited to The Rascals instead of The Young Rascals here too, so long as the distinction was chosen to be made.

Alright, let me try that again.

Though the "James Bond Theme" is identified with John Barry's jazz arrangement, it is heard throughout Monty Norman's score for Dr. No in non-jazzy guises. Barry's arrangement is repeated ("tracked") in various scenes of the first Bond film. This is consistent with the account given by some of the film makers themselves and Barry contained in supplementary material on the DVD release of Dr. No. Barry was called in to make an arrangement of Norman's motif after Norman had completed the score. There is no information about the distinctive ostinati, countermelodies, and bridges introduced by Barry that are juxtaposed with Norman's motif in order to flesh out the arrangement. These added musical figures have become as recognizable to listeners as Norman's motif itself, which is probably responsible for the controversy over the authorship of the "James Bond Theme" as listeners have come to know it.

So.

Barry was called in to make an arrangement of Norman's motif after Norman had completed the score.

Barry did the jazz arrangements. Norman did the non-jazz ones, and they were done by the time Barry stepped in.

This compilation has both versions.

This article doesn't follow the same road:

The original James Bond theme was written by Monty Norman. John Barry, who would later go on to compose the music for eleven Bond films, arranged the Bond theme, but was uncredited - except for the credit of his orchestra playing the final piece. It has occasionally been suggested that Barry, not Norman, composed the "James Bond Theme".

So then why would there be a jazzy Barry one, and a separate Monty Norman Orchestra one?

Dr. No's soundtrack contains the Barry version, but the article says this:

Notable ommissions from the soundtrack include the film's opening sci-fi electronic music sound effects/"James Bond Theme" gunbarrel sequence and the music from the tarantula scene (reused during the climax of the helicopter attack in From Russia with Love but not on that soundtrack album either).

So it doesn't have that version of the theme on it.

Too bad. I like the Norman version slightly more. Maybe the music critics were confused too. Certainly, when even Barry didn't know anymore whether he'd composed it or not, doubts surface about what was going on.

If you'd like to compare them, here they are, from the compilation I linked to: the Norman version & the Barry version.

Which one sounds more iconic to you? I suppose it's the original versus the rerecording problem again.

The first appearance of the "James Bond Theme" was in Dr. No. There it has been used as part of the actual gunbarrel and main title sequence.

In From Russia with Love, the "James Bond Theme" appears in the track "James Bond with Bongos". It is a slower, jazzier rendition than the original orchestration.

In Goldfinger, the "James Bond Theme" can be heard on the soundtrack in "Bond Back in Action Again" (gunbarrel and pre-title sequence). The "James Bond Theme" for this movie is heavily influenced by the brassy, jazzy theme song sung by Shirley Bassey.

Thunderball featured a full orchestral version of the theme in the track "Chateau Flight". Another full orchestral version was intended for the end titles of the film.

You Only Live Twice featured a funereal orchestration with Bond's burial at sea sequence in Hong Kong harbour.

The George Lazenby film, On Her Majesty's Secret Service used a unique high-pitched arrangement with the melody played on a Moog synthesizer. This new arrangement reflected the more violent and younger George Lazenby in the role of Bond.

With the return of Sean Connery in Diamonds Are Forever, the guitar made a comeback along with a full orchestral version during a hovercraft sequence. On the soundtrack this track is named "Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd/Bond to Holland."

Me, I'd say pick Norman's. All the others - Barry's jazz arrangement for Dr. No also - are cover versions.

On second thought, I've read the lawsuit. Turns out the guitarist was Barry's idea from the start (so Barry only covered himself, per se), but Norman won the case.

I suppose this is like Ike & Tina Turner all over again. Is it right to credit Ike even though he's not on the recording, anywhere?

If so, the credit to Norman should be the one on the site. It's the - uh - orthodox credit.

If not, keep crediting it to Barry.

Uncle Dave Mason's name was actually Uncle Dave Macon.

And The Velvet Underground's "Foggy Notion" is listed as a 1976 song. What for? Regardless of the randomness of the year, you should follow Dylan's "Blind Willie McTell" road and put it at 1969.

A limited single release is noted for "Foggy Notion" at 1976 in Martin Strong's "The Great Discography". However, this release is not mentioned at either RYM or allmusic, so it must really have been limited...!? I should probably change the date to 1985, not 1969 as I use (or at least intend to use) release dates throughout AM. "Blind Willie McTell" should be moved forward too.

Alright.

Frank Sinatra's "All Or Nothing At All" is a 1939 song.

Dimples D.'s "Sucker D.J.'s" is a 1990 song.

Nevermind, Dimples D.'s isn't a 1990 song. The critics voted for the historical non-hit 1983 one.

Euromasters' "Alles Nar De KI-te" is called "Alles Naar De KI-te".

Gil Scott-Heron's "The Bottle" is a 1974 song and The Folk Implosion's "Natural One" is a 1995 song.

Sonic Youth's "Into The Groove(y)" was released under the name of Ciccone Youth, not Chiccone Youth.

Simple Minds' "Sparkle in the Rain" album was released in January 1984, not in 1983.

1982's "Under the Big Black Sun" by X has been upgraded to 5 stars on All Music.

Keep up the excellent work.

The Police album is called "Reggatta de Blanc", with a double g.

"Die Another Day"

Just noticed that the entry for Madonna's 'Die Another Day" is missing a citation:

Rock de Lux (Spain) - Best Songs of the Year-- 43

I was going to also say Village Voice, but then I remembered just the top 50 is included at AM.

I Know...

it was mentioned in some other thread, but also "Into the Groove"- that 1,001 Songs citation (from that Australian critic) had been missed in the last update.

An absolutely tiny one: Frankie Goes to Hollywood's 1984 album is called "Welcome to the Pleasuredome", not "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome".

Temple of the Dog was released in 1991, not 1990.

Sleater-Kinney's "Dig Me Out" is now 85 on metacritic, not 84.

I noticed that between 2006 and now, metacritic has changed a lot of their old scores by plus/minus 1 or 2 (without necessarily adding reviews), as if they tweaked their formula or something. So other albums might be off right now too.

Steely Dan's #438 on the all-time song list is called "Reelin' In the Years", not "Reeling in the Years".

The Beatles' 1977 album is called "The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl", though Allmusic Guide has it listed as "Live at the Hollywood Bowl".

Radiohead's Lucky was released in 1995. It was in charity album Help (and it was also a minor MTV hit then). Both the year end charts which it get points are from year 1995.

My Way appears twice on Frank Sinatra's artist page

The "My Way" error has already been reported earlier in this thread.

for the greatest bands of all time poll my Camera Obscura vote was supposed to be from Scotland too.

I'm not sure how you handle this, but since Ghostface Killah's "Daytona 500" credits Raekwon and Cappedonna on the cover of the single, shouldn't the song also appear on their artist pages?

Piero Scaruffi gave Flipper's 1981 album "Generic" an 8/10.

http://www.scaruffi.com/ratings/best100.html

He also gave Peter Green's "The End Of The Game" 8/10.

And finally, he gave Husker Du's "New Day Rising" an 8/10. It's listed on AM as 7/10.

Keep up the good work!

This is my first post. I like your website. I noticed that you have the Foo Fighters listed under Washington DC bands, but they are from Washington state.

Scaruffi gave The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute an 8/10, not a 7.

Thanks Sean Pak and everyone for your corrections!

Maybe Scaruffi has done some rating updates lately?

I spotted this one while compiling the eligibles list for the '75 election: There are separate artist listings for LaBelle and Patti Labelle; they should probably be combined. I know one's a group and the other is the singer, but I'm not sure there's any meaningful distinction--their only two entries are the album Nightbirds and song "Lady Marmalade," which is on that album.

1 2 3