Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
AMF Top 200 Album poll : the results part III (top 100)

Hi, here is the top 100

For 200 - 124 see here

123-101 is here

Re: AMF Top 200 Album poll : the results part III

Elvis Costello – My Aim Is True (1977)

1118.42 points

AM 3000 rank : 89

Appeared on 20 ballots / 68

Fans: Toni # 7, Paul # 20

BillAdama:
Some of the catchiest, most energetic songs ever written.

Jonmarck:
Sometimes I find it strange that people consider this a "punk" debut. For one thing, Costello's backing band isn't the Attractions, it's the group that went on to become Huey Lewis and the News. Another thing is that his lyrics aren't half as nihilistic as his UK punk contemporaries. Sure they cut with carefully crafted cynicism, but it's way too playful to be taken seriously. There's no desperation here. Just a smartass rocker having fun with some snappy tunes. "Alison" and "Watching the Detectives" are the obvious standouts.

Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures (1979)

1126.33 points

AM 3000 rank : 71

Appeared on 22 ballots / 68

Fans: Chevi # 24, Chris # 29

Moderator:
This album got a lot of votes but nobody put it very high on their list.

Jackson:
It's rare that I'm in the mood for this album, but when I am, there's an odd appeal in the fact that the instruments seemingly don't go together whatsoever. There's always some sort of interesting riff or drum beat going on, but sometimes it sounds like musicians from separate bands playing together. Ian Curtis isn't as emotionally desolate here as he is on Closer, but that is made up for by the album's genuinely catchy songs.

Moonbeam:
Posthumously revered as the blueprint from which so much post-punk was mapped out, Joy Division's first album casts a huge shadow over rock music- its insular, twisted lyrics and innovative, crisp instrumentation paving the way for legions of followers.

After last year's dismal Joy Division performance, I'm very happy to see Unknown Pleasures on the right side of the T100. To me it will always be the quintessential post-punk album, even more than Entertainment!. Oh yeah, it also has one of best album covers of all time.

Of course, Closer is even better, and I'm exciting to see where that one ends up.

Ramones – Ramones (1976)

1129.02 points

AM 3000 rank : 35

Fans: lagire # 5, Ramone666 # 13 (normal), Mitchell Stirling # 17

Moderator:
It's late seventies time ! Is that the 70s poll ? .

Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Rust Never Sleeps (1979)

1133.23 points

AM 3000 rank : 117

Appeared on 19 ballots / 68

Fans: Jacek # 10, Jonmarck # 13, Snusmumrik # 17

Moderator:
Same as above .

Jonmarck:
Neil Young avoided conventions like haircuts. Everyone was expecting a career-capping tour that would see the sensitive songman revisiting hits of yester-year. Instead he rounded up Crazyhorse, some massive amps and wrote a new setlist of pre-grunge anthems. The acoustic half is beautiful, particularly "Thrasher" and "Sail Away" but the real goods are on the electric side. "Hey Hey, My My" with its never-too-early Johnny Rotten reference is the big hit but all four thrashers became legendary in their own right.

Tom Waits – Swordfishtrombones (1983)

1170.63 points

AM 3000 rank : 98

Appeared on 18 ballots / 68

Fans: Honorio # 6, Henrik # 11, Paul # 14

Moderator:
Swordfishtrombones seem to be a favourite for "senior" voters.

Honorio:
Instead of the jazzy piano-based sound of his previous efforts Tom Waits chose to produce shocking contrapositions of instruments, some coming from jazz (upright bass, brass or piano), some coming from different musical traditions (marimba, electric guitar, pipes, Hammond organ, glass harmonica) and some coming from the twisted Waits mind (personally modified instruments as chromelodeon or weird percussion effects as bell plate, parade drum, bass drum with rice or a chair pulled along the studio floor).

Nicolas:
A transition album for Tom Waits. He had just found a new label and a new wife and the results were striking : Tom definitely gave up his old jazzy style to invent a new form of music mixing all elements of popular music from the XXth century with Captain Beefhar or Moondog weirdness. The first of a fabulous trilogy that encompasses Rain Dogs and Franks Wild Years.

oh, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people online...

I'm not sure to post tonight though...

nicolas
oh, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people online...

I'm not sure to post tonight though...

We are all just waiting on bated breath for more updates.

VanillaFire is right... I've been checking every 5-10 minutes!

PJ Harvey – To Bring You My Love (1995)

1178.04 points

AM 3000 rank : 140

Fans: Henrik # 6, David # 16, Snusmumrik # 21

Moderator:
Good performance for PJ regarding her AM rank.

Rocky Racoon:
To me, this is Harvey’s embrace of womanhood. Gone are a lot of the insecurities of her first two albums as she definitely has her “voodoo working” over the course of 10 brooding rock and blues numbers that embody her unique style.

Honorio:
Polly Jean diminished a little the rawness and directness of her previous works and transformed herself into a glamorous, oblique, theatrical and sophisticated diva. And not losing the edge along the way, replacing the explicit representation of female sexual desires by no less disturbing tales of twisted loves and unsettling religious imagery.

ok, that's all for now

I'll keep you updtated but as I said I'm not sure to post later today. Family first tonight.

Very interesting first several albums. Neil Young looks poised for a strong performance in this poll. The PJ Harvey album is interesting, makes me wonder whether Dry will make it.

Mmm, fantastic selections so far. One of the "seniors" is satisfied.

I voted for none of those, but they're all good albums. As for "Dry," I don't think it stands a chance, since "To Bring You My Love" is generally the most acclaimed PJ Harvey album...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969)

1193,71 points

AM 3000 rank : 161

Fans: Ramone666 # 12, Peewee # 18, Beans # 19

Jonmarck:
Neil Young was high octane from day one. He just needed a pit crew. This sophomore effort teamed him with Crazyhorse for a light-hearted jam of some of Young's best country-rock tunes. "Cinnamon Girl", "Down by the River" and "Cowgirl in the Sand", all written while Young was down with the flu, immediately stand out for their heavy riffs and improvisation. The Young/Crazyhorse team was at the beginning of a partnership that would yield some of the wildest rock music ever heard.

Nicolas:
The first Crazy Horse album, a monument of rock, and the first of the hard rocking Neil Young albums, with long playing songs and guitar solos, and of course Neil Young's unique sense of melody and songwriting.

I'm so happy at least two, and probably a third Neil Young album beat Harvest. (I guess it'd be overly optimistic to hope On The Beach did too.)

Usually when you see all time lists the top two Young albums are After the Gold Rush and Harvest. But his 'Depression trilogy' is my favorite period of his career.

The Clash – The Clash - (1977)

1197,06 points

AM 3000 rank : 52

Appeared on 23 ballots / 68

Fans: Rocky Racoon #26, Mitchell Stirling # 27

Moderator:
First effort of the punk heroes was on nobody’s top 20 but it made 23 lists.
Maybe that’s why it didn’t get as high as on AM 3000.

Jonmarck:
Never had punk stabs and slashes cut so deep as when Joe Strummer and Mick Jones spat "I'm So Bored with the USA", "London's Burning", "Career Opportunities" and "White Riot". (...)It remains one of the best UK punk albums of all time, even better than the later Pistols album, which got more air-time but didn't last half as long. The Clash really were the only band that mattered.

Honorio:
Combat rock. A band of politically conscious punk-rockers turning upside down the music world with ferocious and energetic sounds. The sounds of the white riot, of the burning London, of the lack of career opportunities, of the Brits bored with the USA, of “police and thieves in the street / scaring the nation”, of hate and war. The sounds from Garageland.

The Band – The Band - (1969)

1213.6 points

AM 3000 rank : 38

Fans: Paul #7, Greg # 14, Jonathon # 18

Jonmarck:
This no-nonsense sophomore placed the Band even deeper in their own mythology. References to moonshine, barn dances and the Old South float through on a sea of mandolins, piano and upper register harmonies. In the rock and roll world The Band stood out like Martians. So technologically-averse were they that they had trouble even organizing themselves into a suitable pose for the cover photo. Good thing Robertson was savvy enough to recognize the appeal of songs like "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", "Up on Cripple Creek", "Across the Great Divide", "Unfaithful Servant", "Across the Great Divide" and "King Harvest Has Surely Come". Helm, on the other hand, was so entrenched in the 1850's that he considered "Rag Mama Rag" the best choice for a lead single because it was danceable.

Re: AMF Top 200 Album poll : the results part III (top 100)

Some surprising results so far.

Sad that none of Björk albums made the top 100.
Quite unexpected to see "Mellon Collie.." higher than "Siamese Dream".
I'm surpised also that no one put "Unkown Pleasures" higher than me (#24) :).

And none of my top 20 have appeared at the time of writing :).

Fleetwood Mac – Rumours - (1977)

1235.25 points

AM 3000 rank : 54

Fans: Henrik #5, VanillaFire1000 # 12, pmickey # 18

I would love to see Dry place higher. It still is her best album, IMO. But I know the consensus is around To Bring You My Love, and after that probably Rid of Me.

Nicolas: Why are you toying with us, dragging this out album by album!!! I feel like a cat, being teased with a treat that is being fed to me crumb by crumb. Cruel! :) :) :)

(But I do love the info you are providing with each entry. It's very itneresting to see how many others voted for the album and who gave it high placements. I love seeing what people put in their top 10.)

Finally! I was wondering when Rumours would show up. This album personifies the pain and heartbreak of breaking up better than anything else.

And there goes the first ten albums of the list! So far I think everything is good, although I've never heard Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere before. That's a fact likely to change after tonight.

SR, you just HAVE to listen to Everybody knows...
You won't regret it...

Ok, just one more and then I'm going to bed

I can only give you the albums one by one like this cause i don't have much time at night. I acn't leave my wife alone all night..

But that leaves you time for discussion !

It's downloading as we speak/type. I like one album at a time, just so long as there's a constant stream of albums. It's getting late in France though, so if you need to take a break for the night I understand. Thanks!

SR
It's downloading as we speak/type

Cinnamon Girl, Cowgirl in the Sand, pure magic.

Lou Reed – Transformer - (1972)

1237.52 points

AM 3000 rank : 76

Fans: Miguel #22, Honorio # 25

Jackson:
Though at times inconsistent, Transformer's peaks are high enough to make up for some awkward lyrics and cringe-worthy moments. Few albums can match the one-two punch of "Walk on the Wild Side" and "Perfect Day," which coexist alongside some less serious (but still enjoyable) anthemic rock songs.

Nicolas:
Lou Reed + Bowie, a great producer and two great songwriters, what are you asking for ? I love this album, provocative, playful, not only the big songs but also the les serious ones like “Hanging round”, “I’m so free” or the hilarious “NY conversation”

Honorio:
Lou Reed wasn’t merely a guest in English glam-rock party, in fact he was one of its main influences. Anyway he created the most definitive statement of the style (well, with valuable help from Bowie & Ronson). He came to England with his baggage full of memories of New York, of stories of transvestites and hustlers, of tales of NYC wild nightlife.

See you tomorrow for the # 89 !

I should be able to post a few albums in the morning and a lot more at lunch time (French time, so in the US that will mean night and morning)

SR
After last year's dismal Joy Division performance, I'm very happy to see Unknown Pleasures on the right side of the T100. To me it will always be the quintessential post-punk album, even more than Entertainment!. Oh yeah, it also has one of best album covers of all time.
I read the last sentence too fast and went "What? One of the songs is a cover?" I was googling for information when I eventually got it. In fact, I got it while I looked at and admired the album cover.

Nicolas, great show! No need to go faster. As a senior, the speed fits me perfectly!

Other than Unknown Pleasures, I've also voted for:

Tom Waits- Swordfishtrombones (#107)
PJ Harvey- To Bring You My Love (#148)
Ramones- Ramones (#174)

For me, Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea will always be my top PJ album.

What constitutes a senior? I think i might be border-line

Ooooh, Transformer! That was my #69.

The epic grandeur of "Satellite of Love" is my favorite, although the heavy-hitting "Perfect Day" and "Walk on the Wild Side" are also fantastic. However, this album is so much more than front-loaded, as I really, really enjoy the vamp rave-up of "Wagon Wheel" and "Vicious".

a senior ?

I don't know... a guy older than me ?

No, on the forum community standards, I would say somebody born in the 70s and before, which makes you absolutely borderline, Beans

Henrik
SR
I read the last sentence too fast and went "What? One of the songs is a cover?" I was googling for information when I eventually got it. In fact, I got it while I looked at and admired the album cover.

To me, the album cover is everything that makes Joy Division great. Dark, sophisticated, creative, and strangely alluring.

I stay out of the senior zone by months! Thanks Nicolas!

John
I stay out of the senior zone by months! Thanks Nicolas!

Me too! I guess that makes us.... middle-aged?

As long as the definition of senior remains "Born in the 70's", I think we're ok.

I'd like to think we're in our prime.

Nicolas: otisredding is too fans to Transformer. I think #13 or #14

I think no matter how high life expectancy gets or how advanced medical science gets to make people physically healthy late into their lives, people will still consider themselves old men the moment they hit 40.

BillAdama
I think no matter how high life expectancy gets or how advanced medical science gets to make people physically healthy late into their lives, people will still consider themselves old men the moment they hit 40.

even if "grampas" like Honorio or Mindrocker still provide the best examples of how to still care to share one's infant momentum of sophisticated loompaloonaslessness... i don't see anything frighteningly flashy in that... especially even since moms started to react like that, as well..

and #100 down to #92 still prove that this is a great poll adventure...

nailbiting..

1. I am over 40 and i have never for a minute considered myself an old man. Other than in the Neil Young-musical-introspective sense.

2. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is Neil's masterpiece. #18 on my list. An album every sentient being should own.

3. PJ Harvey is one of the great musical geniuses of the last 15 byears, and I am happy to see any of her albums show up here, but I tend to have a preference for artists' first albums, where they are the most immediate, raw, and unmediated by commercial considerations. So in her case, I still love Dry most, with great songs like Sheela-na-gig, Plants and Rags, Dress, Hair and Water.

Beans
As long as the definition of senior remains "Born in the 70's", I think we're ok.

I'd like to think we're in our prime.

Hey now! I was born 12/8/71 (prolly still need my info nicolas)...but don't feel old at all. (At work everyone still thinks I'm a young-un.)

Props to Nicolas at this point. Having done a few year-end polls I know how much work goes into those, and this dwarfs those by comparison. So good job, and I'm sure it will be a fine countdown to the finish.

Since we're discussing PJ Harvey, I'll just through out my faves:
1) To Bring You My Love
2) Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
3) Dry
4) Rid of Me
5) Uh-Huh Her

oh man...you guys have it all wrong!

01. Rid of Me
02. Dry
03. To Bring You My Love
04. Stories From the City
05. White Chalk

1. Stories from the City
2. Rid of Me
3. To Bring You My Love
4. Is This Desire?
5. Dry
6. Dance Hall at Louise Point
7. White Chalk
8. Uh Huh Her

Haven't heard A Woman A Man Walked By yet. I'd love to see Rid of Me pop up on top 100, but I doubt it will.

When I put the disc Rid Of Me for the first time almost burst my stereo. I give him too many points.

I think PJ's hot but I 'm not a big fan of her music

Bonjour

Time to resume that list

From now on I'll try to do AT LEAST 10 albums a day, which means that we'll be finished next week.

Oasis – (What's the Story) Morning Glory? - (1995)

1240.35 points

AM 3000 rank : 79

Fans: Nick # 10, Peter # 12, Tim E # 16

Moderator:
Just like its big brother Definitely Maybe, this Britpop icon is moving down in comparison to the last 2 polls (#53 in 2005, # 67 two years ago). But it seems to stand the test of time a little better than its predecessor, which was higher in 2008's poll (#57).

Wes:
Of all the oasis songs I consider good, this album probably contains at least half of them

Beck – Sea Change - (2002)

1242.63 points

AM 3000 rank : 674

Fans: Steven # 5, Chris # 12, Harold Wexler # 14

Moderator:
IMO it is one of the big surprises of this poll. I really didn't expect this album in the top 100. Present in only 18 ballots, but mostly in the first half. Makes me want to hear it again.

Sorry, no comments available, but I'm sure there will be !

Funny thing is that "Sea Change" had 17 of its 18 votes coming from the 40 first voters. Then it showed on only one of the 28 lists remaining, .

in 2008, it was at # 129
in 2005 : unranked

this album ages like a good wine

Good to see Sea Change in top 100. It was very close to get in my list too.
I did yesterday a list of remanining albums in top 95 (when we had 95 left).
I actually had Sea Change in that guess list (it was among the very unsures top 5 (about 90 are 100% sure to make the list)).
But I would have never thought that Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere will be in top 100 (maybe because I haven't listened to it). I guess that mean that an album from the late 60's that I put in my top 20 won't make it to top 200.

In 2007 we had 90's poll and that helped a lot albums from the 90's (was it really 25 albums in top 100). Now it looks like we have a lot albums from 70's in top 100. Maybe it's time to 00's albums in 2011 when may have next all time album poll.

The Stooges – Fun House - (1970)

1243.36 points

AM 3000 rank : 88

Fans: Mitchell Stirling # 12, John # 13, otisredding # 18

Jackson:
This album accomplishes everything people want Exile on Main St. to in about 1/3 of the time. Dark, nasty, noisy, and proud of it, Fun House doesn't feature either of the Stooges' best two songs ("I Wanna Be Your Dog" and "Search and Destroy"), but it more than makes up for it by producing their most consistently frightening atmosphere.

Honorio:
This album is the most perfect definition of rock & roll that one can dream, energetic, furious, sweaty and raw. It’s the cornerstone of a style with its roots in ancient blues and so many branches that extends till the current times, with legions of garage and rock bands with obvious debts to Iggy Pop. Rock & roll should always be like that: wild, dirty, loud and dangerous.

Just like the Velvet Underground, the Stooges didn't rely on musicianship (and I would say nor even on "songwriting" in a classical pop/folk way)but on sheer energy and power, paving the way for punk rock.

And Iggy is a fantastic singer.

Still waiting for an album of my list in the top100 !
Still very sad by Either/Or not reaching top100.
(Still very disappointed Damaged Goods did not reach the top 10 of the 1978's poll too.)

ok boys, I am deeply sorry to tell you that one of my fears came true : I made a mistake !

It will change the list a little bit, but not dramatically.

So let's go back in the list for a little while

Simon & Garfunkel – Bridge Over Troubled Water - (1970)

1142.46 points

AM 3000 rank : 99

Appeared on 19 ballots / 68

Fans: Miguel # 2, Marc # 8, Henry # 10, Stephan # 12

Moderator:
Another album from 1970, but who could think of a more different record from Fun House than this one ? A good performance for a mainstream record in a poll that mathematically tends to penalize both middle of the road and extreme acts. And it is the first time a record gets 5 scores above 100 points (100 is #22).

This is what happened : I realized that I had given "Bridge Over Troubled Water" 102 points from Honorio's list that were due to "Bookends".

My apologies.

So the real 100-86 list becomes :

100. Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True

99. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

98. Ramones - Ramones

97. Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps

96. Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

95. Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones

94. PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

93. Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

92. The Clash - The Clash

91. The Band - The Band

90. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

89. Lou Reed - Transformer

88. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

87. Beck - Sea Change

86. The Stooges - Fun House

Nicolas, great work so far! Sorry to be a pain but my votes for Fun House and The Ramones were at #112 and #117, not #12 and #17!

Ah, Bridge Over Troubled Water. The Best of the Simon and Garfunkel records, yet I feel most of Paul Simon's solo efforts are better than any of the collective's efforts. I feel that Simon and Garfunkel were primarly a singles outfit in the vein of late 50s/early 60s acts, and their albums are just there to drive the singles. Out of their 4 big albums, BOTW is the best as an album, but it does not have the level of singles from Bookends or Sound of Silence. I will say this: if I could put a greatest hits collection on my list Simon and Garfunkel would be #1.

How the hel...

Ok, thanks Mitchell, it's better to tell me now

I've checked the spreadsheet and I didn't do the same mistake for anybody else apparently

Correcting....

After all this is done, I think it would be interesting to start a thread where everyone who voted answers two questions:

1. What is the highest rated album on the final group list that was not on your personal list at all?

2. What is the album you rated most highly on your personal list that is nowhere on the final group list?

ok guys

I've just discovered 2 mistakes in half an hour so I think I've been doing this a bit too quickly.

Consequently I will make a series of checkings that will take me time (half a day I would say, unless I don't find anymore mistakes).

After that I'll come back with the REAL list

I'm sorry but this was really a BIG job and any mistake changes the whole hing.

So I'm gonna track other possible errors.

I'll let you know when I'm done

The "Mitchell Stirling error" had even changed the top 20 !!

Nicolas, just wanted to say cheers for the effort so far. Great work, fascinating list.
Also:-great to see Funhouse back in the top 100. Absolute masterpiece.
-fantastic showing for Sea Change. Pleasant surprise.
-Dry is the best PJ Harvey album.
-Spiderland will be in the top 100 next time we do one of these. How do I know this? I don't. I don't even think it. I'm not sure why I wrote it.
Sorry...I was born in 1973 and am having what I believe they call a 'senior moment'.

Don't worry nicolas, no rush!

While we're at it, PJ Harvey albums:

1. White Chalk
2. To Bring You My Love
3. Rid of Me
4. Dry
5. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
6. Is This Desire?
7. Uh Huh Her

Bonjour again

I owe you a few technical explanations.

Before revealing the results I had just checked that

- I had the right number of lists in the spreadsheet

- that each list had the right number of albums

I hadn't checked the point distribution, which led to the now famous Mitchell Stirling error (sorry Mitch).

Now i have check that for each column (or each individual list) the sum of points is right. I found 6 more errors that i corrected quickly.

now the only possible errors left could be that I didn't give the said points to the right album (the Honorio/Simon and garfunkel error) or that I have misranked the albums. For that I'd need to check each and every list, which is beyond my free time and courage.

But I was very careful about that during the compiling (and the Honorio error happened in the very beginning) so i hope there is no more mistake.

Now, let us see what has changed in the top 200.

New list 200-176

200. AC/DC - Back In Black
199. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
198. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
197. The National - Boxer
196. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
195. OutKast - Stankonia
194. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
193. PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
192. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
191. The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
190. Nas - Illmatic
189. Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
188. Blondie - Parallel Lines
187. The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
186. Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
185. Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
184. Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
183. Carole King - Tapestry
182. The Beatles - A Hard Day’s Night
181. Brian Eno - Another Green World
180. Wire - Pink Flag
179. The Shins - Chutes too narrow
178. Bob Marley - Exodus
177. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
176. Slint - Spiderland

Considering the vastness of the undertaking, a few mistakes is more than forgivable. You're really doing a great job, and I admire your dedication. Of the last few, I think I had both Sea Change and Funhouse on my list. Pleasantly surprised at Sea Change's performance,

Also, nicholas, you were right about Everbyody Knows This Is Nowhere. That's an album. I'm recommending to all my friends who are interested in music that they acquire every single album in this T100.

out of the new top 200 :

REM - Life's Rich Pageant
Gorillaz - Demon Days

in the new top 200 :

AC/DC - Back in Black
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

New list 175 - 126

175 TV on the Radio/ Dear Science
174 Wu-Tang Clan /Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
173 Big Star /#1 Record
172 The Knife /Silent Shout
171 The Smiths /The Smiths
170 Queens of the Stone Age /Songs for the Deaf
169 Bob Dylan /Desire
168 Pink Floyd /The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
167 Sly & The Family Stone /Stand!
166 Bruce Springsteen /Nebraska
165 Franz Ferdinand /Franz Ferdinand
164 DJ Shadow /Endtroducing…
163 Neil Young /Tonight's The Night
162 The Who /Tommy
161 Guns N’ Roses /Appetite For Destruction
160 Michael Jackson /Off The Wall
159 Derek & the Dominos /Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs
158 Smashing Pumpkins /Siamese Dream
157 The Kinks /Something Else By The Kinks
156 Nick Drake /Bryter Layter
155 Talking heads /Fear of music
154 Daft Punk /Discovery
153 Creedence Clearwater Revival /Cosmo's Factory
152 Björk /Debut
151 Captain Beefheart /Trout Mask Replica
150 The Jesus and Mary Chain /Psychocandy
149 Joni Mitchell /Court and Spark
148 Steely Dan /Aja
147 Oasis /Definitely Maybe
146 Robert Wyatt /Rock Bottom
145 Prince /1999
144 Pearl Jam /Ten
143 Kraftwerk /Trans-Europa Express
142 Sigur Rós /Ágætis byrjun
141 David Bowie /Station to Station
140 Smashing Pumpkins /Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
139 Elliott Smith /XO
138 Primal Scream /Screamadelica
137 Bruce Springsteen /Born in the U.S.A.
136 Charles Mingus /The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady
135 Lou Reed /Berlin
134 Beastie Boys /Paul's Boutique
133 Led Zeppelin /Physical Graffiti
132 Pink Floyd /The Wall
131 Neil Young /Harvest
130 The Band /Music From Big Pink
129 Antony & the Johnsons /I Am a Bird Now
128 The Flaming Lips /Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
127 Sly & The Family Stone /There's a Riot Goin' On
126 Interpol /Turn on the Bright Lights

New list 125 -101

125 The Velvet Underground /Loaded
124 Dusty Springfield /Dusty in Memphis
123 The Beatles /Magical Mystery Tour
122 Led Zeppelin /Led Zeppelin
121 Massive Attack /Blue Lines
120 Blur /Parklife
119 Mercury Rev /Deserter's Songs
118 Bob Dylan /The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan
117 The Magnetic Fields /69 Love Songs
116 Nirvana /In Utero
115 Stevie Wonder /Talking Book
114 The Velvet Underground /White Light/White Heat
113 Ramones /Ramones
112 The Cure /Disintegration
111 John Coltrane /A Love Supreme
110 Nick Drake /Pink Moon
109 Led Zeppelin /II
108 Animal Collective /Merriweather Post Pavillion
107 Elliott Smith /Either/Or
106 Otis Redding /Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul
105 Curtis Mayfield /Superfly
104 Leonard Cohen /Songs Of Leonard Cohen
103 Björk /Homogenic
102 De La Soul /3 Feet High and Rising
101 The Replacements /Let It Be

Out of the top 100

The Ramones - Ramones

Ok that's all for the moment.

See you with the top 100, probably tonight. I'll introduce you to 1 newcomer (and another one which has gone down below 86), and then we will resume our countdown.

I was the late vote on Sea Change... my #29 album. The post I am most proud of on these boards thus far is the one I did eulogizing Beck after he was voted out of Survivor. I wrote this about Sea Change:

At core though, there is something unique that Beck brings to his songs quite apart from the influences that he draws from. Most nakedly, this can be seen on "Sea Change," where the artifice is shorn away in deep respect for the death of a relationship. Whether naked when it is just his voice and a guitar (no more "two turntables and a microphone") or massively forceful when his father's string arrangement swells on "Lonesome Tears," on this album Beck proves what should have been apparent upon closer listening to his earlier albums... the music and the emotion and the songs and the power are entirely his own, no matter from whom or what he might have originally borrowed, or how many layers of irony he filters them through.

"Sea Change" was my number 42. I didn't think I liked Beck until I listened to that album, but that album is different from most of his other work. It draws more from the Nick Drake side of things, which makes it brilliant. It's different from all his other work, so if you don't like Beck, you should still try this album.

Either/Or passes MPP, and The Velvet Underground goes into the top 100. I like the net result of your corrections!

Hey Nicolas, doing this job with no mistakes whatsoever would make one suspect you of being less than human. I've been busy for the first part of the countdown, but will catch up now.

By the way, I second Pee Wees suggestion that it will be fun to see which is the most glaring discrepancy between our own lists and the final top 200. I think we had a game for the poll-before-last, where anyone who felt like it wrote a small piece on his own highest-ranking album not in the final list.

So, so, so happy that SEA CHANGE is in the top 100! I'm also glad that it's been steadily moving up in the ranks on the 2000s spreadsheet (it's currently #55, which is still way too low). It's my favorite Beck album by far and probably my favorite album of the decade.

Sea Change is easily my favorite Beck album. It would hit my top 20 of the decade.

Just to clarify, it was me that voted for Sea Change at #12 (I know there are a few other Chris' here). That album is a space-folk masterpiece.

peewee, yes, we will compare our lists with the Am list

After the whole list is known, it will be statistic time !

I guess I'll post the spreadsheet so you can download it and play with it...

But one thing at a time

ok, I have time to post a few albums (just a few)

”New” #100

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground (1969)

1109.84 points

AM 3000 rank : 200

Fans: EdAmes # 4, Jackson # 15

Moderator:
Passing White Light/White Heat, the third VU album is 100 ranks ahead of its AM 3000 position

Nicolas:
Less, far less hype than the VU & Nico, but very charming album, more peaceful, closer to what lou reed would do in the 70's, now that Cale is gone.

Jackson:
I cite this album as proof that the Velvet Underground were one of the most versatile bands of all time. A complete departure from the artsy, avante-garde sound they pioneered on their first two albums, this self-titled effort is basically an acoustic singer-songwriter album. It might not reach the highs of its more-acclaimed big brother, but I actually find it to be more consistent, with self-reflective, religiously influenced lyrics. "The Murder Mystery" proves the VU could still do effective experiments, but songs like "After Hours" and "Pale Blue Eyes" are the heart of the album: mellow, well-written, and above all else, sincere.

New list 99-90

99. Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True - 1977

98. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures - 1979

97. Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps - 1979

96. Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water - 1970

95. The Stooges - Fun House - 1970

94. Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - 1969

93. Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones - 1983

92. PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love - 1995

91. The Clash - The Clash - 1977

90. The Band - The Band - 1969

Everybody Knows and Fun House move down, victims of the Mitchell Striling mistake (I had given too much points to the second half of his list)

"New" #89

Nick Drake – Five Leaves Left - (1969)

1230.53 points

AM 3000 rank : 159

Fans: popelton # 4, Henrik # 12, Nassim # 18

Moderator:
Nick Drake is definitively a favourite of this forum. Each one of his three albums made the top 200 with a position higher than on AM 3000. Like Björk he hasn't got ONE unanimously acclaimed album. Hence this little spreading effect that stopped him from being higher than 85.

Nicolas:
A very special record, a very special singer for sure. Hugely influential (from Elliot Smith to The Tallest Man On Earth), he created his own brand of recognizable folk pop, using weird guitar tunings to craft magnificent melodies. On this album he's backed by strings, flutes and horns that provide a perfect setting for his beautiful (and very lonely) songs.

New list 88-85

88. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

87. Lou Reed - Transformer

86. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?

85. Beck - Sea Change

... and now we're back on our feet again !

Thanks for the clarification Nicholas! Surprised to see Five Leaves Left ahead of Pink Moon. Will you continue the unveiling, or will we have to wait to tomorrow (a fate that would be agonizing)?

I'll try to do a few tonight, hoping to get at least to 80

The White Stripes – White Blood Cells - (2001)

1267.99 points

AM 3000 rank : 156

Appeared on 26 ballots / 68

Fans: Wes #22

Moderator:
Another album from the present decade. Jack and Meg appear on an impressive number of list without ever scoring high.

Jonmarck:
This is what I hate about mainstream audiences. Put out two decent blues/country/garage rock albums and no one cares. Hire someone to make a music video out of Lego and all of a sudden you're hot shit. It's a great album, particularly the sweetheart ditties "Hotel Yorba" and "We're Going to be Friends" but it makes you wonder what they'd be like if they just hired Michel Gondry at the start.

Seeing that we're having a Polly Harvey poll to while away the time, my Top 3 would be

1 - Stories from the City
2 - To Bring you my Love
3 - White Chalk
and after that I'm uncertain, but one favourite is a radio live recording from Glastonbury '95 (reminds me of the tremendous show I witnessed at Roskilde a few days later)

Yeah! White Blood Cells! I wonder how high Elephant will end up. Unfortunately, due to a few filler tracks on each Stripes album, I don't think we'll ever see them towards the very top.

Sorry guys I have to go for a few hours

I'll be back

The Evolution in AM Forums

2009-2008-2005

84 - 86 - 178 - The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
85 - 129 - xxx - Beck - Sea Change
86 - 67 - 53 - Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
87 - 92 - 78 - Lou Reed - Transformer
88 - 101 - 72 - Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
89 - 72 - xxx - Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
90 - 80 - 143 - The Band - The Band
91 - 106 - 199 - The Clash - The Clash
92 - 61 - 74 - PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love
93 - 127 - 68 - Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones
94 - xxx - xxx - Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
95 - 112 - 82 - The Stooges - Fun House
96 - 119 - xxx - Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
97 - 102 - 151 - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Rust Never Sleeps
98 - 141 - 30 - Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
99 - 88 - 132 - Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
100 - 113 - 152 - The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
101 - 93 - xxx - The Replacements - Let It Be
102 - 169 - 109 - De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
103 - 95 - 83 - Björk - Homogenic
104 - 120 - 99 - Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
105 - 182 - 140 - Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
106 - 87 - xxx - Otis Redding - Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul
107 - 107 - xxx - Elliott Smith - Either/Or
108 - xxx - xxx - Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
109 - xxx - xxx - Led Zeppelin - II
110 - 116 - 95 - Nick Drake - Pink Moon
111 - 81 - 60 - John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
112 - 171 - 69 - The Cure - Disintegration
114 - 149 - xxx - The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
115 - 117 - 142 - Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
116 - 104 - 51 - Nirvana - In Utero
117 - 140 - 94 - Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
118 - 108 - 185 - Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
119 - 154 - 173 - Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
120 - 89 - 46 - Blur - Parklife
121 - 85 - 88 - Massive Attack - Blue Lines
122 - xxx - xxx - Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
123 - 115 - 171 - The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
124 - xxx - 100 - Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis
125 - 136 - xxx - The Velvet Underground - Loaded
126 - xxx - 182 - Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
127 - 103 - 137 - Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
128 - 90 - 122 - The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
129 - xxx - xxx - Antony and The Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now
130 - 132 - 139 - Ramones - Ramones
130 - 165 - 161 - The Band - Music from Big Pink
131 - 110 - 130 - Neil Young - Harvest
132 - 109 - xxx - Pink Floyd - The Wall
133 - xxx - xxx - Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
134 - 131 - 126 - Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
135 - 162 - 65 - Lou Reed - Berlin
136 - 159 - 56 - Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
137 - 194 - xxx - Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A.
138 - xxx - 86 - Primal Scream - Screamadelica
139 - 151 - xxx - Elliott Smith - XO
140 - 156 - xxx - The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
141 - 187 - xxx - David Bowie - Station to Station
142 - 105 - 131 - Sigur Rós - Agaetis Byrjun
143 - xxx - 90 - Kraftwerk - Trans-Europa Express
144 - 98 - xxx - Pearl Jam - Ten
145 - 118 - 193 - Prince and The Revolution - 1999
146 - 99 - 103 - Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
147 - 57 - 20 - Oasis - Definitely Maybe
148 - xxx - xxx - Steely Dan - Aja
149 - 133 - xxx - Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
150 - 188 - 70 - The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
151 - 167 - xxx - Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
152 - 111 - 55 - Björk - Debut
153 - 180 - 194 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
154 - xxx - xxx - Daft Punk - Discovery
155 - 164 - 87 - Talking Heads - Fear of Music
156 - 200 - xxx - Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
157 - 144 - 158 - The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks
158 - 94 - xxx - Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
159 - 177 - 120 - Derek and The Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
160 - xxx - xxx - Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
161 - xxx - xxx - Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
162 - 139 - xxx - The Who - Tommy
163 - xxx - xxx - Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
164 - 124 - 98 - DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....
165 - 172 - 89 - Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
166 - 191 - xxx - Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
167 - 148 - xxx - Sly and the Family Stone - Stand!
168 - xxx - xxx - Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
169 - 186 - xxx - Bob Dylan - Desire
170 - xxx - xxx - Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
171 - 185 - 81 - The Smiths - The Smiths
172 - xxx - xxx - The Knife - Silent Shout
173 - 143 - xxx - Big Star - #1 Record
174 - 114 - xxx - Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
175 - xxx - xxx - TV On The Radio - Dear Science
176 - 152 - xxx - Slint - Spiderland
177 - xxx - xxx - TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
178 - xxx - xxx - Bob Marley and The Wailers - Exodus
179 - 198 - xxx - The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
180 - xxx - 159 - Wire - Pink Flag
181 - 153 - 155 - Eno - Another Green World
182 - xxx - 188 - The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
183 - 192 - 91 - Carole King - Tapestry
184 - xxx - 138 - Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
185 - 145 - 44 - Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
186 - xxx - xxx - Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
187 - xxx - xxx - Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
188 - xxx - xxx - Blondie - Parallel Lines
189 - xxx - xxx - Elvis Costello and The Attractions - Armed Forces
190 - 150 - xxx - Nas - Illmatic
191 - 184 - 102 - The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
192 - 121 - xxx - The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
193 - 142 - xxx - PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
194 - 163 - xxx - Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
195 - 197 - xxx - OutKast - Stankonia
196 - xxx - xxx - Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
197 - xxx - xxx - The National - Boxer
198 - xxx - xxx - Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
199 - 122 - 112 - Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
200 - xxx - xxx - AC/DC - Back in Black

Viguen
Sea Change is easily my favorite Beck album. It would hit my top 20 of the decade.

I hope all the guy who have vote for "Sea Change" have also vote for "Histoire de melody Nelson". The model for Sea Change according to Beck himself.

Pavement – Slanted and Enchanted - (1992)

1320.57 points

AM 3000 rank : 123

Appeared on 21 ballots / 68

Fans: EdAmes #1, Brad # 2, beefsupreme # 7

Moderator:
This album was the victim of my first mistake: I had erased half of its points ! As you can see above, it has its devoted fans but only appear in 21 ballots. Pavement is another favorite among many visitors of this forum and beats his AM score by 50 ranks.

beefsupreme:
Sloppy fuzzed out instrument playing and a singer who’s rambling about a bunch of nonsense. Every once in a while he'll drop a line or two that hits like a ton of bricks ("In the Mouth of a Desert", "Here"). S&E sounds like it was good on accident.

jackson:
It's not the landmark album that followed, but Slanted and Enchanted does appeal with its pure eccentricity. Featuring some of the strangest song titles on any non-Sufjan Stevens or Of Montreal album, Pavement managed to create a consistently catchy brand of indie-rock that's lo-fi without being annoying.

Jeff Buckley – Grace (1994)

1347.27 points

AM 3000 rank : 87

Fans: VanillaFire1000 #4, Midaso # 24

nicolas:
I remember when this record came out (Iwas 24) my girlfriend fell immediately in love with the singer, but I didn't blame her. I found on the contrary that she had lots of taste, and Buckley was not a big threat. I remember when we parted, I cried alone in my dark room and I listened to Lilac Wine and Hallelujah. And I saw his famous Olympia concert.

jackson:
Unfortunately this would be Jeff Buckley's only studio album, making him one of the greatest 'what-ifs?' in music history. But he put out a record befitting his immense talent, both vocally and musically. His "Hallelujah" cover is without a doubt the definitive version of that standard, but several other songs are just as good: "Grace," "Last Goodbye," and "Lover, You Should've Come Over" in particular. Buckley's voice manages to be moving with virtually every note he hits, and combining this with his unique guitar tone and composition, this record maintains a hauntingly emotional mood throughout.

nicolas
out of the new top 200 :

REM - Life's Rich Pageant
Gorillaz - Demon Days

in the new top 200 :

AC/DC - Back in Black
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

Boo!

Fleet Foxes – Fleet Foxes - 2008

1353.69 points

AM 3000 rank : unranked

Fans: pop elton # 5, Wes # 8, nicolas # 19

Wes:
otherworldly

nicolas:
You could mistake this record for some lost gem recorded in 1969, but no, this is 2008 and these guys are just KIDS. Kids who spent a lot of time listening to their parents’ record collection : CSNY, Simon and Garfunkel, the Beach Boys and Zombies, but also Gregorian chants and Sacred Harp singers. This album celebrates the pleasure of harmony singing, with beautiful, incredible melodies and sounds. And the band is great on stage. By far my favorite 2000s album.

(please go to page 2 for the following

1 2 3