Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: AMF Top 200 Album poll : the results part III (top 100)

The White Stripes - Elephant (2003)

1357.03 points

AM 3000 rank : 92

Appeared on 24 ballots / 68

Fans: BillAdama #9, lagire #5

Moderator:
Just like White Blood Cells, Elephant was on a lot of people’s list but reached two top 20s, which placed it higher than its predecessor.

BillAdama:
Elephant has special meaning to me because it's the album that got me on the internet looking for critic listing sites. In a time I thought great rock music was something past tense, it convinced me there was great new music to look for too.

Jon Marck:
The most playful of the Stripes' albums, “Elephant” sees Jack White fooling with octave pedals, pre-1960's recording equipment and Bacharach tunes. Though this album will always be associated with the monster hit "Seven Nation Army", "Girl, You Have No Faith in Medecine", "Well It's True That we Love one Another" and "In the Cold, Cold Night" are as droll as they are sweet.

nicolas

BillAdama:
Elephant has special meaning to me because it's the album that got me on the internet looking for critic listing sites. In a time I thought great rock music was something past tense, it convinced me there was great new music to look for too.

That is indeed quite special!

Patti Smith - Horses (1975)

1434.02 points

AM 3000 rank : 22

Appeared on 26 ballots / 68

Fans: antonius #5, BillAdama #10, ramone666 # 19

BillAdama:
Nobody has done anything so angrily and rawly poetic with rock music.

Moonbeam:
Horses presents a beautiful clash of proto-punk musical punch and acute literary sensibilities, rendering it one of the most impressive debuts in rock history.

Tom Waits – Rain Dogs (1985)

1436.99 points

AM 3000 rank : 119

Appeared on 22 ballots / 68

Fans: nicolas #8, Chevi #14, Michael #19

The second album of Tom Waits cabaret trilogy outruns Swordfishtrombones, his most acclaimed record according to the AM 3000.

Honorio:
Waits continued his particular getaway from the smoky jazz that began with “Swordfishtrombones” broadening his musical spectrum. Banjos, marimbas, trombones, weird percussions. Tarantella, country, folk, tango, Weill-style prewar period Cabaret, Beefheart-style Martian blues, Springsteen-style power ballads. And of course, the personal and indefinable Waits style.

Nicolas:
Tom Waits made a big carreer move with Swordfishtrombones. With Rain Dogs, he goes even further in his exploration of everything that made American music : country, jazz, blues, immigrants music from all over Europe. He knows how to alternate chaotic (the three first songs) and more conventional (his moving ballads like Time). And the lyrics make him to my mind the equal of the Boss and Dylan. If you need one Tom Waits, it’s Rain Dogs that takes you deep in the underbelly of the big Apple where Waits the Californian sung for the rain dogs, those who can’t find their way home because the rain has washed the smells away.

Moonbeam
nicolas

BillAdama:

That is indeed quite special!

Actually, that's very interesting because I too had fallen out of love with music for a couple of years. I had always hated MTV and just assumed most new stuff was crap. And then...while flipping through the channels I came across the video for Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground and I was in love again. I thought to myself "He looks like Robert Smith and he screams like Robert Plant; how could this be bad." I remember how curious I was to see if these guys were critically acclaimed. I found out they were--but not quite as much as these other guys the Strokes. I remember discovering bands like My Morning Jacket and Kings of Leon from AM--Kings of Leon, whatever happened to those guys? Oh yeah; they're huge, kinda what the Strokes we're supposed to become.

Horses is awesome. I've been listening to it a lot lately. It's such a vibrant combination of excellent lyrics, vital melodies and raw energy. The three epics are all deserved classics- "Gloria" with its super-tense buildup, "Birdland" with its intense, colorful and exhaustive mourning and "Land" with its gripping, terrifying tragedy. But songs like "Free Money", "Break It Up" and "Kimberly" are all full of great lyrical stories as well.

The Sex Pistols - 'Never Mind the Bollocks - Here's the Sex Pistols (1977)

1459.99 points

AM 3000 rank : 9

Fans: Pee Wee #8, pmickey #11, Tim O #18

Moderator:
The first from the AM top 10 to show up. Why does it rank so poorly in comparison ? Maybe because the album has its detractors, who think that it is more important historically than musically valuable. Anyway the Sex Pistols couldn't find a better rank than .. 77 !

Honorio:
Few albums supposed a milestone like this one, marking a line between before and after in pop music history and turning into outdated all that came before. But there’s not only about historical importance, it’s about rage, about confrontation, about a great set of songs played furiously but with an undeniable gift and sung with impoliteness, vitriol and sarcasm by Johnny Rotten.

Nicolas, thanks for taking the time to post so many albums in quick succession, you're well past your target of 80 for tonight.

Feel free to keep adding through the night

I,m off to my leaba (bed)

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver (2007)

1477.56 points

AM 3000 rank : 209

Fans: Nassim #8, nick #12, Brose #21, Moonbeam # 22

Moderator:
One more 2007 album doing great !

Moonbeam:
While I had enjoyed the panache and intellectual foreplay of the eponymous debut record, I in no way expected the sequel to be so emotionally charged and viscerally vital to my being. Sound of Silver, indeed, is an album of many moments. As I have grown older, I have found that it is much more difficult for new music to galvanize my emotions into an uncontrollably fevered pitch. As such, I appreciate such moments much more now at my ripe age of 27. Reviewers are generally taught to strive to give an unbiased appraisal, but I'll be damned if it doesn't delight me to the tips of my toes that an album can generate such a rebirth of wide-eyed, teenage, blind fanaticism that I am rendered helplessly unable to muster any semblance of objectivity. "Sound of silver talk to me, makes you want to feel like a teenager. Until you remember the feelings of a real-live emotional teenager." Sorry James, no need to think again. Full review at http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Moonbeam/rating8681980

Jackson:
This is the only album released in the last three years that can compete with the best works of the early part of the decade. James Murphy's rapidly maturing lyrics got the attention, but also of note is how he reigned in the extremely long songs of his `05 self-titled album to produce something more listenable. The mix of dance and pop elements makes this album so infectious, and the fantastic lyrics of "Someone Great" and "All My Friends" produce already-classic singles that can compete with anything released in the `00s.

That will be all for tonight

See you in a new thread tomorrow... I'm turning in !

nicolas

See you in a new thread tomorrow... I'm turning in !

Thanks for all of your hard work, nicolas! It's great to see Sound of Silver continue to earn its keep!

really enjoying this! cant wait for next batch. it's hotting up.

this

octopus
really enjoying this! cant wait for next batch. it's hotting up.

I am also a "fan" of Rain Dogs. It was my #15 pick. Just making sure my vote was counted.

I'm happy to see LCD Soundsystem so high. I'm even happier seeing Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain finishing ahead of Slanted and Enchanted though.

What's the biggest year range for everyone's list? For example, I have at least one album from every year 1963-2008 in my top 200.

Paul
I am also a "fan" of Rain Dogs. It was my #15 pick. Just making sure my vote was counted.

Your vote was counted, Paul, I just forgot to mention it

John Lennon - John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band (1970)

1500.32 points

AM 3000 rank : 57

Appeared on 23 ballots / 68

Fans: David #1, Henrik #2, SR #18

Moderator:
An album that can get very high on some people’s lists, Plastic Ono Band is nevertheless moving down as polls go by : #39 in 2005, 62 in 2008

I have at least one album from 1963 to 2008 as well, although 1996 doesn't have an album in the top 200 but my list is a top 250 (Murder Ballads, #246). Nick Cave will likely fall out very soon though, making 1996 the only year not represented in my top 250. It is also one of the few years where I have albums I rated 7/10 in the top 10; bad year I guess. The other 3 years where this happens are also in the '90s.. didn't know I disliked the '90s thát much.

Excellent stuff so far nicolas, I know what a tough job it is and you're making far fewer mistakes than I made.

I take it that Plastic Ono Band is number 75? Cool to see Sound of Silver sandwiched between two giants.

Oops sorry !

Now i can't edit it !

Of course it is #75

here

John Lennon - John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band (1970)

1500.32 points

AM 3000 rank : 57

Fans: David #1, Henrik #2, SR #18

Moderator:
An album that can get very high on some people’s lists, Plastic Ono Band is nevertheless moving down as polls go by : #39 in 2005, 62 in 2008

no cheating, sworn

Bruce Springsteen – Darkness On The edge Of Town - 1978

1513.57 points

AM 3000 rank : 104

Fans: nicolas #1, Greg #3, Tim O #3, Beans #15

Moderator:
Same as Plastic Ono Band : few ballots, but peak position on 3 lists, the Boss is in great progress in comparison to the last polls : #175 in 2005, #160 in 2008. In a few words : the Rising.

nicolas:
3 years after Born to Run, the boss comes back with a more mature album, stripped of the heavy production of his previous effort. The E Street Band is practically playing live, and the lyrics too are more straightforward. While Born to Run was about dreams of escape, Darkness relates the lives of those who found there was nowhere to go. Great songs about father and son (“Adam Raised a Cain”, probably the most furious Springsteen song ever), working (“Factory” , romantic love and sexual frustration (“Candy’s Room and its orgasmic climax and guitar solo)

"Darkness" is indeed a fantastic album with a coherent mood to it (as is Nebraska) and with hardly a song on it that is decidedly below average.

Pavement – Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (1994)

1529.71 points

AM 3000 rank : 265

Fans: schwah #1, Brad #6, EdAmes #12, Jackson #14, John #18

Moderator:
Confirmation, if need be, of the love for Pavement, especially from North American voters of all ages.

Jackson:
This is the sound of a band at their absolute peak: Pavement sounds like they could have accomplished anything they wanted to on this album, and everything they tried was a massive success. From the indie-rock anthem "Cut Your Hair" to the jazz-tinged instrumental "5-4=Unity" (which I would call filler if it wasn't so infectious), there really is no dull moment on Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. What keeps me coming back is the sense of sincerity and honesty on these songs as well as their general feel-good nature. Pavement seemed to approach this album without the sense of pretentiousness or experimental aims that often drag down indie rock albums, instead focusing on refined song structure and genuine emotional expression.

I'm surprised at the decline of Never Mind the Bollocks! As you can see, it was #8 on my list.

To me, it is first and foremost a great pop album -- just one supercharged pop song after another. It's bubblegum, but of a very perverse and poisoned kind. It just fires on all cylinders from beginning to end.

Then there's the sheer sneering and snotty attitude of it -- it simply embodies was rock and roll is about. It reminds me of what the (often very annoying) American rock critic Robert Christgau once said when someone challenged the musical quality of a rock album he loved: "It's not music. It's rock and roll". In other words, what makes a lot of great rock records great is not always so much their musical complexity or richness, but their attitude and attack.

And, finally, this is an album that is simultaneously very very funny and deeply disturbing and menacing -- the only album that combines those elements more successfully is the Pixies' Doolittle, which, therefore, ranked even higher on my list.

Great work, Nicolas. This is a lot of fun.

A question, just out of curiosity: taking 2008 and 2009 albums out of the equation, what's the highest position in this poll for an album not currently listed on the AM top 3000? Last time, if I recall, it was Jellyfish's SPILT MILK, somewhere in the high 300's.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dissapointed that Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain wasn't higher. Maybe it should have been higher on my own list?

To me the album is everything that makes indie rock, only it's much more than that. At the point where I am now in my life, I feel like I can connect so strongly to what Stephen Malkmus is saying. Maybe that's why the band has always been immensely popular among young North American music fans. I think if we did a US/UK/EU breakdown like the AM list does, both the Pavement albums would be much higher.

Also John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is the first album from my T20 to show up.

These are all great albums that I should listen to again, but I didn't vote for many of them. Time to re-listen, I guess.

Elvis Costello – This Year’s Model - 1978

1560.88 points

AM 3000 rank : 72

Fans: otisredding # 7, Peewee #8, Toni # 19

Moderator:
First time an album equals its AM ranking.

BillAdama:
Yeah, screw pop culture! You tell 'em Elvis!

Honorio:
“I don’t wanna kiss you / I don’t wanna touch”. Two verses almost whispered preceding the entrance of the band as a buffalo stampede in “No Action”. The Attractions proved to be the perfect backing band for Elvis Costello and together made the best definition possible of late 70s power-pop: wry lyrics, modernity (in a good sense), smart song-writing, and, of course, powerful playing.

Jonmarck:
The newly formed Attractions would prove Costello's most exciting backing group. The ideas are his but the songs are Steve Nieve and Bruce Thomas', especially "Pump it Up" and "Radio Radio". With punk snarl and Buddy Holly image intact Costello was set to take America (particularly SNL and Steven Stills) by storm.

The Doors – The Doors - 1967

1571.35 points

AM 3000 rank : 20

Fans: Michael # 11, lagire #13, Nick # 19, Michel # 20

Moderator:
The Doors are not cherished here (see the Survivor game). Below their AM rank, and below their two previous scores : 40 in 2005, 64 in 2008. Still they’re on 26 ballots, but never break any top 10.

Rocky Racoon:
A dark carnival ride of an album, the Doors’ first record still stands as one of the best debuts of all time. It’s a mesmerizing whirlwind of psychedelic rock and Jim Morrison’s tenebrous prose.

Two days away from a computer, but when I come back I found another wonderful AM list (great work everyone), interesting debates about age and PJ Harvey (1º To Bring You My Love 2º Stories 3º Rid of Me) and a terrific work from Nicolas (don't worry about the mistake, now it's all solved and we're all grateful for the hard work you put on it).

thanks for your comments !

Sorry that I can't post more than this, but I'll be back in the morning and tomorrow you'll see (at least) the 70-61 section !

Harold, yes, I'll answer your question, but after the results, that for the time being require all my time and attention. There'll be a lot of great stat work to do, and I'll probably need your help (as well as for the unveiling of individual lists).

SR, about Pavement : I guess they're much bigger in America then in Europe. Before coming to AM, I had just one album by them and they are almost unknown in France, except in music nerds' (like us) and indie lovers' circles. Out of "Crooked Rain"'s 23 supporters in the poll, 16 were American or Canadian.

When posting, I'm listening to every album and I really should reconsider my rating of "This Year's Model" and listen to "Crooked rain" (an album I've never heard).

I was quite reluctant to hear Crooked Rain because I really did not like Slanted and Enchanted and it was quite a good surprise, not enough to be in my top 200 but I can understand why people like it.
I know the indie rock critics consider them as the best band of the 90s, but I enjoy Built to Spill much more; There is nothing wrong with love/Perfect From Now On/Keep it Like a Secret is at least as an interesting evolution as Slanted & Enchanted/Crooked Rain Crooked Rain / Wowee Zowee.

Oh wow, you have to listen to Crooked Rain Nicolas. A lot people place all of their judgement on Slanted and Enchanted which is considered Pavement's masterpiece but I really don't like that album that much. Crooked Rain is a lot different especially production wise.

Where's the love for Wowee Zowee? maybe a little harsher & scattered than CRCR, and not as quickly accepted by the critics when it came out, but certainly WZ shows the full range of Pavement's vision, with some of their best songs ("Grounded", "We Dance", "Half A Canyon", "Fight This Generation" to name just a few classics). Give Wowee Zowee another go 'round... this is Pavement's "White Album"!

SR
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dissapointed that Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain wasn't higher. Maybe it should have been higher on my own list?

To me the album is everything that makes indie rock, only it's much more than that. At the point where I am now in my life, I feel like I can connect so strongly to what Stephen Malkmus is saying. Maybe that's why the band has always been immensely popular among young North American music fans. I think if we did a US/UK/EU breakdown like the AM list does, both the Pavement albums would be much higher.

Also John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is the first album from my T20 to show up.

Hey, hey, hey! I'm most likely looking at only 3 of my top 10 making it in the top 200, and only one of those in the top 100!

The Evolution in AM Forums

2009-2008-2005

71 - 64 - 40 - The Doors - The Doors
72 - 66 - 174 - Elvis Costello - This Year's Model
73 - 82 - xxx - Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
74 - 160 - 175 - Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
75 - 62 - 39 - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
76 - 91 - xxx - LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
77 - 78 - 77 - Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks - Here's the Sex Pistols
78 - 73 - 57 - Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
79 - 100 - 135 - Patti Smith - Horses
80 - 83 - xxx - The White Stripes - Elephant
81 - xxx - xxx - Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
82 - 49 - 48 - Jeff Buckley - Grace
83 - 69 - 73 - Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted

Brad
Where's the love for Wowee Zowee? maybe a little harsher & scattered than CRCR, and not as quickly accepted by the critics when it came out, but certainly WZ shows the full range of Pavement's vision, with some of their best songs ("Grounded", "We Dance", "Half A Canyon", "Fight This Generation" to name just a few classics). Give Wowee Zowee another go 'round... this is Pavement's "White Album"!

you're not alone.. Wowee Zowee was the only Pavement album on my list

My list goes from 1963-2009.

But my only album earlier than 1965 is James Brown - Live At The Apollo at #113.

Although Sun Sessions and King of the Delta Blues would both be on my list if they qualified, and they were recorded much earlier.

Re: AMF Top 200 Album poll : the results part III

The vocals on the Bridge Over Troubled Waters Album are so smooth and pitch perfect, especially on my favorites from this album - Bridge Over Troubled Waters, The Boxer, and the The Only Living Boy in NY. I wonder whether some of the younger folks who dismiss this album do so because it is not edgy enough for them.

Bridge Over Troubled Water was my #15 an album that I have absolutely loved over the past year. Only Living Boy in NY is one of the best songs ever.

For me:

Years that don't have any reps in the top 200 (post '63): 1983, 1978, 1975.

and year that has the most reps: 1971 (13)

How about you?

Wilco – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - 2002

1573.4 points

AM 3000 rank : 124

Appeared on 25 ballots / 68

Fans: Jonathon # 8, Dr Robert #14, Michael # 14, Toni # 17

Moderator:
Just like the critics, you consider it the best Wilco album.

Rocky Racoon:
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot proves that solid songwriting trumps everything else. It isn't really innovative, popular, or influential, but the songs are timelessly written and performed. From the elegant "Jesus, Etc." to the sprawling epic "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," this album comes off as completely genuine, setting it apart from most other alternative albums this decade.

Nassim:
There is a problem with my favourite albums I know thanks to the forum, it seems that you have talked so much about their good side that I can only talk about the good ones (Pot Kettle Black and Kamera sound far too much alike, War on War is a very average song). There has been an awesome comment by Honorio about the first track and everybody seems to agree on how great Jesus, Etc. is ; however my favourite track, and one of the most moving interpretation of the decade, remains Radio Cure, a really sad love song.

Honorio:
Is there an unwritten rule about a logical progression of introducing the arrangements? If it exists, Wilco decided to ignore it. The first verse of the first song features basically organ and bass, the second acoustic guitar, the third a weird drum pattern and noises, the fourth shakers and a strange scratched instrument, the fifth “normal” drumming and distorted guitar and the sixth background noises. And why not?

Paul Simon – Graceland - 1986

1574.58 points

AM 3000 rank : 66

Fans: VanillaFire1000 # 1, Marc #2, Miguel # 4, Stephan # 16, David # 17

nicolas:
Like Eno, Byrne, Peter Gabriel or Ry Cooder, Paul Simon showed that rockers could also be interested in world music and recorded this masterpiece with South African musicians. The world discovered the wonderful rhtythms and melodies of the oppressed Black people of South Africa that served the famous songwriting abilities of Simon.

Van Morrison - Moondance (1970)

1574.58 points

AM 3000 rank : 82

Fans: otisredding # 2, Honorio #15, Miguel # 17, Rocky Racoon # 17

Moderator:
Another forum favorite, but on the classic rock side, Van the Man is well ahead of his AM score with this album. Note that he is specially popular among our Spanish friends.

Rocky Racoon:
Morrison blended his Irish mysticism with his own version of blue-eyed soul to manifest this highly spiritual album that is hypnotically beautiful.

nicolas:
Sometimes you're in Dublin, sometimes in Muscle Shoals Alabama… and always with Van

Honorio:
“Astral Weeks” got all the acclaim but “Moondance” is my favourite. And both albums couldn’t have been more different. The improvised and free-form “Astral Weeks” gave place to the meticulously arranged and root-based “Moondace”, with traces of soul, blues and even swing. But both albums have similar curative effects, the perfect prescription for healing your tired and damaged ears.

So many great albums ...

Flipping back through the results up till now: Highest-ranking album on my list to show up yet: Songs of Leonhard Cohen (my #8), which just didn’t make the poll top 100. My #7 is likely to sneak in, I’m sure, but I have no illusions about my top 6. Doesn’t matter, it’s fun and music (as Max Yasgur said) and not a horse-race.

Seeing that there has been no Nick Cave at all yet, presumably he will not show up. He didn’t make the previous album polls, if I remember rightly. Way back, when I got hold of Colin Larkin’s “All-Time Top 1000 Albums” (which was what made me look around the web for more of the same kind and stumble upon AM), I was flabbergasted that Cave was absent. I mean, not like in “this guy ought to be acclaimed”, but my general impression was (and increasingly is) that he *is* indeed very widely acclaimed, but still his highest-ranked album on AM is in the 400’s.

It may be a regional thing, but even in the top 200 lists where Henrik has divided critics up geographically, Cave is absent. Am I just mistaken, when I feel I see praise for him all over the place?

Incidentally, talking about regional tastes: That might be a fun thing for you statistics experts one day: On which album(s) are opinions most widely divided by geography, acc. to AM?

Pulp – Different Class (1995)

1594.75 points

AM 3000 rank : 136

Fans: octopus # 4, Mitchell Stirling # 7, Midaso # 9, Wes #10, Marc # 16, Tim E # 19

Moderator:
That’s another great surprise ! Present on a few ballots but with high scores, this Britpop classic was already at the 74th slot in 2008. And “Common People”, if I remember well, was our favorite song of the ‘90s. But...

Jackson:
This record is so much more than the massive single "Common People." With a sense of wit and intelligence that few others had in the Britpop scene, Jarvis Cocker wrote an excellent all-around set of songs here in a synth-pop style that deviated from the 60s-revival style everyone else seemed to be doing.

Snusmumrik

That is why I asked everyone about his whereabouts.
We've got the data to make such regional statistics now.

About Cave : he's the perfect multi-album artist. None of his efforts towers above the others. So the spreading effect was fatal to him.

Nicolas: That makes perfect sense. I see now that he's #7o in top album artists on AM.

Nick is in my top 5 favorite songwriters of the past 20 years. Great, great songwriter, great artist.

Nick Cave's got 10 albums in our top 3000

Have to run. Look forward to seeing what's happened, when I get back some time this afternoon.

nicolas
Nick Cave's got 10 albums in our top 3000

Are you going to post our top 3000? That would be awesome! I hope to access it for the artists poll, in any case.

Are you going to post our top 3000? That would be awesome! I hope to access it for the artists poll, in any case.[/quote]

of course I will ! Such a treasure must not be buried !

nicolas
Are you going to post our top 3000? That would be awesome! I hope to access it for the artists poll, in any case.

of course I will ! Such a treasure must not be buried ![/quote]

David Bowie – Hunky Dory (1971)

1611.07 points

AM 3000 rank : 61

Appeared on 31 ballots / 68

Fans: Michel #10, Honorio # 12

Moderator:
That’s what we call a classic : the first album so far to show up in more than 30 lists. On the other hand, he only breaks one top 10 (and two top 20)

Honorio:
I’ve got a soft spot for this album. I discovered it when I was a teen and felt this “strange fascination fascinating me”. The mix of music hall and folk, the amazing piano work (courtesy of Rick Wakeman in his personal peak), the immortal melodies “Life on Mars?”, the cryptic but meaningful lyrics, “the mélange of kitsch and class” (quote form Stephen T. Erlewine) captured my heart forever.

nicolas:
Great great songs, a little under produced in my opinion

Radiohead – In Rainbows (2007)

1645.79 points

AM 3000 rank : 180

Appeared on 27 ballots / 68

Fans: Steven #10, octopus # 15, Toni # 16, Beans #18

Moderator:
When we did our last poll in january 2008, this album was a few months old and ended up at #146. Two years after it is 80 slots ahead, and 115 slots higher than its AM position.

jonmarck:
Radiohead's career seemed to follow a logical progression, peaking with "Ok Computer" and delivering a sixth album, "Hail to the Thief", as lacklustre as their first, "Pablo Honey". That's why their seventh, "In Rainbows" came as such a surprise. Not only is it great, it's great for a totally different reason. Whereas before the group relied on arena-big choruses, jangly guitars and unnatural chord progressions "In Rainbows" has a sweet, intimate feel. Even opening track, "15 Step" can't sustain its bombastic percussion intro, quickly lightening to a silky guitar riff. And they gave the whole album away for free, which every artist does, directly or indirectly, but at least Radiohead acknowledged the situation and climbed on board. I'm sure they still made a ton of cash from the release, too. Other highlights include "Nude", "Bodysnatchers", "House of Cards" and "Jigsaw Falling Into Place".

Good to see Pulp ahead of Blur and Oasis on here. Musically and lyrically, Different Class transcends the whole farcical notion of 'Britpop' in a way that Definitely Maybe and Parklife never will, to my mind.

I also wanted to second (or third ) Brad's comments about Wowee Zowee-that White Album analogy was on the money for me. It's a sprawling, pot-addled mess on the surface but that's part of the charm. It's also full of absolutely wonderful songs and is Pavement's last masterpiece.
In terms of it's relatively poor critical standing, the problem in Britain was that in 1995 the music press had regressed to Union Jack waving cretinism. In retrospect, releasing the gloriously uncommercial 'Rattled by the Rush' as the first single, into the musical climate of the time, seems like a grand conceptual joke.

Belle & Sebastian – If You're Feeling Sinister (1996)

1658.73 points

AM 3000 rank : 330

Fans: Tim E #6, VanillaFire1000 # 8, pop elton # 10, Beans #12

Moderator:
Another album in a great series from the British islands, If You're Feeling Sinister is a huge surprise if you consider its AM rank (330). But this album seems to be a favorite of this forum : it was already in the top 100 in 2008, at #76 and in 2005 it was #125. And next time ?

Honorio:
A Scottish band led by Stuart Murdoch that brought back the sensitivity and fragility to 90s indie pop, brought back beauty and humour to grunge times, brought influences like Nick Drake or Burt Bacharach not so usual till then and conquered the bedroom and the heart of many young people with the smart but heartfelt songs from “If You’re Feeling Sinister”.

Jackson:
The appeal of this is in its simplicity: it's a bunch of well-written, conventionally structured pop songs backed by an acoustic guitar and other assorted instruments. If You're Feeling Sinister's title is a misnomer: this album is great for virtually any mood or situation, with its combination of catchiness and comforting vocals.

Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here (1975)

1660.76 points

AM 3000 rank : 165

Appeared on 28 ballots / 68

Fans: Marc #3, Peter # 11, Henrik #15, Chevi #15

Moderator:
One more British album, and a regular of our top 100 : this time it did better than in 2008 (71) but it’s lower than in 2005 (32)

Jon Marck:
(...)The emotion just seems more felt on the title track, "Have a Cigar" and the "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" suite than anything on Dark Side. It's like this time it was coming from the heart rather than the head. Perhaps it's because most of the album was about Floyd's wayward ex-frontman Syd Barrett. According to varying accounts Barrett actually turned up at the studio during recording sessions after a five-year separation from the group. His head was shaved and he had put on so much weight that the band did not immediately recognize him. Barrett jumped on a nearby couch and began compulsively brushing his teeth. When Waters finally realized who it was he was brought to tears. Barrett asked if there was anything he could add to the album and the band was forced to tell him the album was nearly done and they wouldn't be needing his help any more.

BillAdama:
By far the best Pink Floyd album in my opinion. They don't have any grand project or cultural agenda: For once, they just write rock songs.

Afternoon all. Having been frequently checking up on AM's main site, and in the past week enthralled by this brilliant countdown on the forums, I thought I'd sign up. Kind of regretting missing the boat on this one, it was still good to see what would've been my no.1 - Turn On The Bright Lights - cropping up, was unsure if it'd get enough love.

As a retort to jonmarck's commentary, I don't think HTTT can be considered as bad as Pablo Honey in any way. It's a great record with some of the best Radiohead tracks going; admittedly, scattershot and overly long, I'd still rank it as one of the best 20 or 30 albums of the decade. In Rainbows did comprehensively wipe the floor with it. It feels so natural, fluid and more than anything human. The sound of five men confident in the knowledge that they are making some of, if not the, best music in the world.

Anyway keep it up nicolas, you're doing a great job compiling and I'm glad to be here for the last third of the list. It's only 360 days til the next one, right? I can wait.

Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)

1663.66 points

AM 3000 rank : 33

Fans: Georgie #7, Peter # 10, Alex D #13, lagire #14, Henry #14

Moderator:
Staying under its Am position, this urban funk classic moves up sloly but surely with the polls : 79 in 2005, 66 in 2008. Did the recent passing of Michael help ?

Honorio:
When Jackson was recording “Thriller” maybe he dreamed of making the best-selling album in history (he eventually sold more than 100 millions), but probably he didn’t expect making a critics favourite. In fact the critics initially resisted (Village Voice put “Thriller” at #15 of 1982) but surrendered to evidences as solid as “Billie Jean” (Village Voice put again “Thriller” in the lists of 1983, this time at #1).

Joni Mitchell - Blue (1971)

1678.57 points

AM 3000 rank : 44

Fans: David #4, Paul #8, pmickey #20

Moderator:
Joni made a tremendous start (her 3 top 20 scores in the first half) but then slowed down to finish behind her AM position

BillAdama:
An album formerly in my top ten. There is no more emotionally pure expression of hippie spiritualism.

Two absolute classics, one after another. Both are perfectly executed, and perfectly accomplish what they set out to do.

Also, is anyone else very surprised that In Rainbows finished ahead of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot? By my count, our current decade has just four albums left: Kid A, Funeral, Illinois, and Is This It. I wonder where they'll place.

Portishead - Dummy (1994)

1746.67 points

AM 3000 rank : 77

Fans: Henrik #1, Schaefer t.#2, Nassim #3, Michael #15, Jacek „16

Moderator:
Our founder’s #1 album is particularly praised among European voters (15 out of 24. In general, the voting community is 41 % European, 48 % North American, 10% Oceanian and South American

Honorio:
The Bristol scene was an essential part of the 90s sound. Massive Attack were undoubtedly the pioneers and Tricky took the sound further, but it was Portishead with its debut album and its dark but smooth mixture of electronic and organic, of contemporary and timeless, of eccentric pop and soundtrack music who gave a masterpiece to the trip-hop style.

Looking back at last year's list to see what's left, it would appear that two of the previous poll's top 100 (MTV UNPLUGGED IN NY and MEZZANINE) have fallen out of the new top 200 completely.

Blue Lines' low placement (130 something) was probably a sign that Mezzanine's future was none too bright. Third also finished completely outside the T200. it looks like at 60, Dummy will be trip-hop's highest representative.

The Evolution in M Formns

2009-2008-2005
61 - 53 - 54 - Joni Mitchell - Blue
62 - 79 - 66 - Michael Jackson - Thriller
63 - 71 - 32 - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
64 - 76 - 121 - Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
65 - 146 - xxx - Radiohead - In Rainbows
66 - 60 - xxx - David Bowie - Hunky Dory
67 - 74 - 43 - Pulp - Different Class
68 - 75 - 165 - Van Morrison - Moondance
69 - 63 - xxx - Paul Simon - Graceland
70 - 70 - 124 - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation -1988

1752.77 points

AM 3000 rank : 70

Fans: Jacek # 2, Vgrd # 7, Beefsupreme # 10, Jonathon #21

Moderator:
A third album in a row featuring a woman, here Kim Gordon with her distinctive vocals on “The Sprawl”, or "Cross The Breeze", Daydream Nation was our #8 album of the ‘80s behind Rain Dogs. This year it did better than the Tom Waits album.

Rocky Raccoon:
At turns and sometimes simultaneously harmonious, dissonant, fierce, hypnotic and majestic, Sonic Youth created a “Daydream Nation” by incorporating their noisy avant-garde tendencies into more conventional song structures.

While I'm posting I'm playing all these albums and realize how great they are (Daydream Nation especially, it deserves better than the current # 381 on my list)

Good to see Dummy, Blue, and Daydream nation (#59, nicolas?) and i may be alone in this but i say boo to Hunky Dory and In Rainbows

I am shocked to see Daydream Nation finish so low. But 80s albums in general aren't having the best day in this poll.

Pixies – Surfer Rosa - 1988

1770.08 points

AM 3000 rank : 74

Fans: Bruno # 7, Beefsupreme # 13, Harold Wexler #17, Jacek #17, otisredding #22

Moderator:
Another album from 1988, another giant of US alternative scene, another girl bassist. Another favorite of our polls.

Jon Marck:
It's hard to discuss the Pixies without linking them to Nirvana. This is because most writers feel obligated to validate the group's efforts by relating them to commercial success. However this goes completely against the point of The Pixies. They were supposed to be the small neighbourhood garage band that sounded as thoughtless as the rest of the headbangers but secretly sang songs about female lust and the River Euphrates. Steve Albini captures the group's carefree nature on this seminal indie rock landmark. "Bone Machine", "Tony's Theme" and "Broken Face" are goofy fun and "Where Is My Mind?" shows the band can sound pro when it wants to.

SR
I am shocked to see Daydream Nation finish so low. But 80s albums in general aren't having the best day in this poll.

Given the competition and its AM score, I guess it's a good performance.

It's interesting how much consistency there is between these polls taken in different years with different board populations, and also how close these polls always come to the AM ranking.

The only major differences from the AM ranking seem to be in the newer albums and a handful of indie folk faves.

Wish You Were Here is a masterpiece. All parts of Shine on You Crazy Diamond continue to impress many years later. Still, I prefer Dark Side of the Moon, more for its mood and lyrics than its musical strength.

aww man i loves surfer rosa! it's my favorite pixies album. not only is it another 80's indie band with a female bassist, but another with a bassist named Kim!

nicolas

Rocky Racoon:
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot proves that solid songwriting trumps everything else. It isn't really innovative, popular, or influential, but the songs are timelessly written and performed. From the elegant "Jesus, Etc." to the sprawling epic "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," this album comes off as completely genuine, setting it apart from most other alternative albums this decade.

Not inlfuential? I think YHF had a huge impact on music with bands like My Morning Jacket, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear. Quite frankly I've heard just as many Wilco influenced artists as I have Arcade Fire influenced.

It's also quite innovative. How many other albums can you say are simultaneously influenced by 70s folk rock and the avante garde? You may not think it's innovative cause there are traditional songs underneath all the noise, but that's the innovation imo. The ability to both appeal to avante garde sensibilities and pop sensibilites.

As for popularity, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot has sold 648k copies in the United States, and 1.5 million worldwide. True it's not a HUGE album, but it's not insignificant.

Sorry I found some of your comments a little insulting to what I consider the best (and a top 5 most important) album of the 00s.

Jonathon, please edit this back to its normal size !
Don't be so typographically innovative !

Welp, there goes my #1. My comments are short but simple.

"For me, Graceland is probably as close as anyone is going to get to a perfect album. I own about a dozen different copies. I can't exactly remember when it hit me, but I know that my musical tastes changed forever one day when I just sat down and listened to this album. It opened up an entirely new world for me."

That leaves 3 of my top 10 to show up, another 3 from my top 10 I know are gonna show up, and 4 left out in the cold. And if I'm predicting the rest correctly, I have at least 12 more out of my top 11-50 to show up.

I don't know how!!!! I spent like 5 minutes trying to fix it!

There...apparently it was so large due to the quoting, and that the album titles are in 6 font. I fixed it though. sorry!

jonathon, read this keeping in mind i put YHF at my #14. I don't think it's either innovative, or avant-garde but it is incredibly creative, and i think there is an important distinction. 'Innovative' means something totally new and plenty of bands before wilco have put experiments on top of conventional song structure (starting all the way back with Frank Zappa and the Velvet Underground).

The drunken piano and interesting rhythms of "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" i think can be linked to influence from tom waits, and many of the other noises present in the album is just some electronica influence put on top of their original, more conventional song structure. the creativity comes from combining these pre-existing influences and making them sound organic and beautiful.

the one song that takes exception i think, is "Radio Cure." While many experimental artists like to create songs that sound like they're imploding on themselves, wilco takes it a step further, making a song that sounds already imploded on itself, still struggling to survive. and i think the ending of that song is so beautiful.

still, my favorite song off that album (if there can really be ONE) is probably "War on War." It gets me every time....of course i'm listening to Jesus etc. now and i don't know....hmm maybe I Am Trying to break your heart?

thanx Jonoathon !!

Please avoid quoting the "big" posts because the parameters are changed and that will mess up your posts !

I guess I'm gonna stop posting now. Back tomorrow with hopefully the '50s and maybe more !

I think Wilco is a complete band. On record they always pay a lot of attention to production and sound, giving each of their albums a distinctive mood. Indie and "avant garde" fans will tend to prefer YHF or maybe Ghost is Born, old classic rock and singer-songwriter fans (like yours truly) will love Being There or Sky Blue Sky (my fave Wilco album and my all time # 57). But to a lot of Wilco fans, Sky Blue Sky is not dark enough, and the Steely Danesque guitar and keyboards are too mid seventies for them.
As for the new one, I just bought it and will listen to it tomorrow !
And when they play live, they're really rocking !
I love those bands which bring back classic and alternative rock back together.

Only one of my top 10 albums have shown up, and that was just outside the top 200. I expect one of the rest to come, and I would be really (pleasantly) surprised if one of the 8 others would show up.

Fair enough Michael. I guess my problem is people consider Kid A innovative when artists like Autechre and Aphex Twin were doing that sort of thing a decade before.

I think the strength of the 00s hasn't been innovation, but rather the breaking down of sonic and musical barriers. I mean think about it; 20 years ago if a band used samples it would shoot their credibility. Now it's almost the rule, not the exception.

Rune
Only one of my top 10 albums have shown up, and that was just outside the top 200. I expect one of the rest to come, and I would be really (pleasantly) surprised if one of the 8 others would show up.

The way this last stretch from 70 to 58 has left me cold, I'm beginning to wonder if my best chance to crack the top 100 will miss altogether.

Jonathon
Fair enough Michael. I guess my problem is people consider Kid A innovative when artists like Autechre and Aphex Twin were doing that sort of thing a decade before.

I think the strength of the 00s hasn't been innovation, but rather the breaking down of sonic and musical barriers. I mean think about it; 20 years ago if a band used samples it would shoot their credibility. Now it's almost the rule, not the exception.

i wholeheartedly agree.

I came to a point (or wasn't I always like that ?) when innovation doesn't matter much to me. What's important is expression, whatever the style, the production, the level of innovation, etc..
All I want is to be moved by an album, not intellectually interested. That was the meaning of my list.

I agree Nicolas. Innovation just for the sake of being innovative means nothing to me. I do love a lot of records that are considered to be the most innovative albums of all-time, but the reason they are considered as such is because they were able to be innovative but also accessible to a wide enough audience to be influential.

Innovative isn't the right word for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Uncommercial is probably better, considering the story behind the album. It's kind of between being alternative and being indie. It's far from the sort of radio oriented trendy music that moves copies, but it's also catchy and poppy and far from the sort of noisy, grindy lo-fi stuff that made up underground music until then.

The impact of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot isn't that it was musically new, so much that it made a lot of other bands more courageous with the sort of music they were willing to write and try to sell.

Yay: Lots of albums in my top 100 have shown up recently -- If You're Feeling Sinister (#37), Different Class (#49), Surfer Rosa (#41), Blue (#23). Dummy was on my draft list, but since I only went to #100 here it didn't quite make the cut.

Innovation is overrated. I agree with those who are on the side of great songwriting, wit, passion, complexity, honest of expression. Honestly, virtually everything that can be done in pop music has been done either in pop or in other forms of music. There is very little room for anything "new".

Peewee
Innovation is overrated. I agree with those who are on the side of great songwriting, wit, passion, complexity, honest of expression. Honestly, virtually everything that can be done in pop music has been done either in pop or in other forms of music. There is very little room for anything "new".

The fact that "virtually everything that can be done in pop music has been done either in pop or in other forms of music" is exactly why true innovation is so valuable and worthy of acclaim.

What song hasn't already been written in some fashion already?

I'm not criticising here, but I find the notion that 'there is very little room for anything "new"' a bit depressing.
Reading Bill and Chris' comments from the top of the page about feeling despair about the state of contempory music, I kinda' felt the sentiments were relatable, but at the same time I've always believed that there is always great music being made. Just don't necessarily expect to find it within a country mile of the mainstream. And certainly not on MTV.

I completely agree that music doesn't have an obligation to be innovative in order to blow you away. But I also believe that it's human nature to mass produce bullshit, and to simultaneously throw up the occasional anomaly.
I caught a few minutes of the MTV awards the other night and had some perfectly natural carpet bombing fantasies. Becoming jaded is the most natural thing in the world, but music is one of the few things that can transcend that, regardless of how risible mainstream radio and music television become.

Just curious: is one of these lists being done on the forums for the best albums of the 00s?

i believe in 2011 is what we (to my dismay) agreed upon.

Peewee

Note: the following is a long post on this subject. It kind of wanders from the topic a little into what I think makes a great record, and it probably should be in a new thread. That said, enjoy:

I would have to say I'm in this school of thought as well. Very little of anything is new in music. There are only 12 notes on a scale, and just about all the harmonic/melodic ideas are played out. It's very hard to create something new in that way; for example, I used to subscribe to Bass Player magazine and they would interview these jazz virtuosos who would spend years expanding on one harmonic idea and composing pieces to that end. There really hasn't been much done to that end since Miles Davis, Coltrane and Monk. Most of the innovation these days has switched to the instrumental aspect, with electric guitars and computers and whatnot. But even then you have to be the first person to plug this instrument into this effect through that speaker to get the new sound. There's just not that much room to go further.

But the genius of great musicians lies in the ability to recycle what has already been done in a new way, to take all the records they love in and spit them out in a new from with bits and pieces from here and there, in a way that's expressive of the emotional state of the artist. The other day I was watching "VH1 Classic albums" and they were doing The Doors, and it was amazing because almost everything they did was taken from somewhere else, and yet it sounds completely different from anything else. I mean, literally, the drummer played a samba beat, the organist was playing a Ray Charles bassline, the guitarist stole the riff off another band changing about 3 notes, but it made a new song. That, combined with the crazy world of Jim Morrison, made a great song (the song in question is "Break On Through (to the Other Side)," if you want to try to pick out the pieces). There's no question his fragile emotional state drove the band's songwriting abilities, because he would just spit out a melody about funeral pyres and the band would be like "Quick! Let's make a song!" Almost all great bands are like that; I'm sure if you look at your favorite artists, their back story looks like: Tortured emotional state + great record collection = amazing band.

With those qualities an artist can make a record that is both original and heartfelt. Usually it will be both; sometimes a record doesn't do anything particularly new but the clarity of the artist's voice shines through; other times a record will be more of a thought experiment in "how far can I push the limit"; but the very best records can do both. And so both elements of the formula are important. If you're not in a weird place emotionally, but you listen to great artists, you turn into the Killers (good songs but you know they couldn't up with anything that didn't copy their heroes); flip it around and you become Linkin Park (tortured souls that can't express it in any way without radio-friendly choruses and too much distortion). You can't have one without the other.

Of course, these sorts of things play into the myth of rock a lot. There wouldn't be Nirvana if Kurt Cobain's parents didn't get divorced and he didn't get high on heroin all the time. And of course there would be no LCD Soundsystem if James Murphy didn't spend his time DJing parties with Can and Daft Punk, etc, etc. (The flip side is true too: no personal trauma = no "Someone Great" and no Pixies = no "Smells Like Teen Spirit"). In both cases the artist plays around with instruments figuring out someone else's sound, perhaps experimenting a little bit, writes a song reflecting their emotional state, and performs it in a style that is a combination of their heroes', with a bit of experiment thrown in. The diverseness of the record collection often leads to the "newness" of the sound. Kurt's Sonic Youth-meets-Beatles tastes were a pop refinement of indie records, a common trajectory, while Mr. LCD's all over the place taste made for contrasts in sound many of us didn't see coming.

Some people I bet are thinking: I know a great band that isn't original at all, with no emotional traumas, and they're still great. I do too, and they're one of my favorites: Led Zeppelin. They stole everything, and changed very little of it. And most of their members were living comfortable rock n' roll lifestyles, by their second album. How did they do it?

The answer is twofold. First, well, the formula isn't surefire. Sometimes we just like music because we like it. Accidents happen. "Creep" should be terrible - how many post-grunge bands were there in 1993? - and Thom Yorke hadn't really developed as a songwriter yet - and because of those clunks before the chorus, we got to hear about what would become the best rock band in the world.

But careers aren't accidents, and Led Zeppelin had a long one. Their main weapon: experience. They weren't angsty teenagers anymore, and instead of drawing on heartwrenching relationships they drew on a decade in the music biz. Page and Jones had enough session work in that they knew how to take an idea, play it in their style, refine it, and turn it into a hit. They also loved the blues, so they drew their ideas from the records they loved. They didn't need their own voice; they'd already developed it years ago. Eventually they got so good at this (and tired of stealing from just the blues) they could play reggae, Middle Eastern music, funk, anything and still be Led Zeppelin. They played for a long, long time and when they got bored they found new bits to recycle into their sound. They became a "hit factory" in this sense; they developed a formula, and the way they formula didn't get old was that it was changed every time a little bit. That's Motown was run, that's how R.E.M. spent the '80s.

And all of these factors are part of the greatest records of all time. Are they new, or innovative? Yes and no. There are certainly elements that have been done before, and there may be "new" sounds that arise from experimentation. In either case, the artist took these sounds, and made them into a song that meant something to them, and that probably emotionally affects the listener too. Over time, some artists get really good at this, and that's why they're so great; for others the unfiltered strength of the artist's voice is more of a factor, but most of the time for this to get through they have to be playing with new sounds or recombining old ones in a way that hasn't been done before. If you look at the Beatles, if you look at Pet Sounds, if you look at "Like a Rolling Stone" all these things happened. The sounds aren't new, the instruments aren't new, the chords and melodies aren't really new, but they've been taken, mishmashed, fed out the brain of a torured genius, who has done this many times before, but not as successfully, and created something beautiful. New? Not hardly. But is it innovative? Yes.

Take some time to parse all that.

Jonathon
nicolas

Rocky Racoon:

Not inlfuential? I think YHF had a huge impact on music with bands like My Morning Jacket, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear. Quite frankly I've heard just as many Wilco influenced artists as I have Arcade Fire influenced.

It's also quite innovative. How many other albums can you say are simultaneously influenced by 70s folk rock and the avante garde? You may not think it's innovative cause there are traditional songs underneath all the noise, but that's the innovation imo. The ability to both appeal to avante garde sensibilities and pop sensibilites.

As for popularity, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot has sold 648k copies in the United States, and 1.5 million worldwide. True it's not a HUGE album, but it's not insignificant.

Sorry I found some of your comments a little insulting to what I consider the best (and a top 5 most important) album of the 00s.

OK, first of all settle down. Secondly, I DIDN'T EVEN SAY THIS. I entered no comments for YHF, but someone else obviously did and I've been given credit for what they said. Can you please correct this, Nicolas.

I'm sorry Rocky Racoon

This comment was originally written by Jackson

I can't edit the post anymore I'm afraid

1 2 3