Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
AMF Top 200 Album Poll : the results

AMF Top 200 Album Poll : the results

So I think I kept you waiting for long enough. Here are the results.

Compiling 68 lists, most of which with 200 albums, was not a small task. But I’m not fired from my job (at least not yet) and my wife hasn’t filed for divorce, so I guess it’s ok.

First i want to thank you all for making and sending your lists. Some of you were usual and regulars, and some others were newcomers or more silent fans.

This final list is to you guys. Your picks were very diverse and insightful. While compiling the lists, I listened to a few songs at random from the 68 lists, and I discovered great things.

You picked a total of 3274 albums, which means we have more than our own top 3000. The entire list is absolutely fascinating and will be peramantly posted here as a spreadsheet.

I’m gonna reveal you the top 200 now.

For the 200 – 100 section, I will present you the list in 4 times (sections of 25), and i’ll pick the most unexpected album (based on a comparaison between the poll’s and AM 3000’s rankings).

But first I’d like to introduce the 10 unlucky ones that just missed the final 200 :

210. The Who - Quadrophenia 1973

209. Manic Street Preachers -The Holy Bible 1994

208. Funkadelic - Maggot Brain 1971

207 Aretha Franklin I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You 1967

206. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love & Hate 1971

205. Weezer - Weezer [The Blue Album] 1994

204. Björk - Post 1995

203. AC/DC - Back In Black 1980

202. Tricky - Maxinquaye 1995

201. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head 2002

Re: AMF Top 200 Album Poll : the results

And so it begins

yes, but now I'm already taking a break for dinner !

A man shouldn't work on an empty stomach. Bon appetit.

Great start.

Didn't expect to find Tricky so high.
Looks like Holy Bible got points from Rune but also from the others.
Maggot Brain should have been in top 200.

I'm already thinking : "damn I should have put Weezer a bit higher on my list" and "If I had forced myself to complete my list with the 28 albums missing to reach 200, I should probably have put Maggot Brain"...

I guess I should go see a shrink or something

(by the way, anybody had noticed that there were an Eminem and a Madonna available on the smiley list ? )

Greaaat, beginning!
Only Coldplay among these was in my list, though, hope the rest is all the top 200!

Speaking of which...

200. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)

199. The National - Boxer (2007)

Gorillaz – Demon Days (2005)

AM 3000 rank : 785

Total Points = 623.63

Appeared on 9 ballots / 68

Fans: Romain # 8, jonmarck # 11, Nassim # 28

jonmarck:
Many sneered at the idea of a cartoon band. Who would ever take it seriously? But that was the point! For the follow-up Dan the Automator’s tired dub beats were replaced by Danger Mouse’s savvy bounce Albarn and Hewlett knew that maintaining this height of creativity and artificiality would demand their professional lives. They quickly announced "Demon Days" to be the Gorillaz’ finale and moved on to a more nautral challenge: traditional Chinese opera.

Moonbeam:
As the opening snippet sampling Dawn of the Dead suggests, Demon Days plays like a classic horror film- each song helps to fully develop the characters while gradually building the tension to a heightened climax, before closing with the gospel-tinged reassurance of the title track. No other album has captured the overarching fear that permeates the globe this decade as successfully or as profoundly.

Thanks for your hard work, Nicolas. I'm sure that we are going to have another wonderful list, boys (and girl).

I've been waiting for this for weeks. Good start to the list, though I wish Leonard Cohen and Funkadelic would have edged Eminem and The National out of the top 200. Great formatting, by the way.

197. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend 2008

196. OutKast - Stankonia 2000

195. R.E.M. - Life’s Rich Pageant 1986

194. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up 1971
(Miguel's number 1)

193. The Cure- Seventeen Seconds 1980

192. Nas - Illmatic 1994

191. Blondie - Parallel Lines 1978

190. The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible 2007

189. Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece 1974
(Tim O's number 1)

188. Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space 1997

187. Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight 1974

186. Carole King - Tapestry 1971

185. The Shins - Chutes too narrow 2003

184. The Beatles - A Hard Day’s Night 1964

183. Bob Marley - Exodus 1977

182. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain 2006

181. Brian Eno - Another Green World 1975

180. PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea 2000

179. Wire - Pink Flag 1977

178. TV on the Radio - Dear Science 2008

177. Slint - Spiderland 1991

176. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) 1993

Honorio
Thanks for your hard work, Nicolas. I'm sure that we are going to have another wonderful list, boys (and girl).

Hello. I'm here. We move on, Nicolas?

Who is the girl?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are we there yet?

alright, the formating's ok, so it should be easier (and faster) now

But that will be all for tonight

I picked Gorillaz in the 200-175 section because it's the greatest surprise i think, maybe with the unexpected Van Morrison that scored very high on only 6 ballots (Tim O but also miguel or Marc)

I'll resume this tomorrow at lunch time

see you, waiting for your comments

Out of the first 25, I have OutKast, Nas, Spiritualized, Bob Marley, The Beatles, and Slint.

I really wish Maggot Brain would have cracked the T200. It was 40 something on mine. Great list so far. Also since we're being swarmed with EOD lists, I'm going to keep track of our 2000s placings.

Great to see so many albums from this decade getting a look in. I know the numbers will dwindle as we continue on down the list, but its still nice to see them there. Inspired move having a top 200 Nicolas. Chutes too Narrow's inclusion has put a big smile on my face

now I'm going to bed after a hard day of work on the lists

I think there are many records of the 21st century. It seems that young people have come to AM.

Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space is a flat-out masterpiece; it should have been way higher than 188. I also voted for The Beach Boys, Nas, Brian Eno, Wire, Slint, and The Wu-Tang Clan out of that section. Can't wait for more results tomorrow.

at least one third of the voters is less than 25 yreas old

that's a good thing I guess, there are two or 3 generations, with ages going from 16 to 53 (but I didn't get everybody's data)

that's 8/101 down for me. Slint, Wire, Brian Eno, TV on the Radio, Arcade Fire, Nas, Vampire Weekend and Eminem.

i wish i hadn't sent in my list so early so i could've put slint up a lot higher on my list...

Dear Science, Arcade Fire, and The National were on mine. "Boxer" was Top 10 for me (and I think I have it as the best album of the decade). I'm really glad "Neon Bible" and "Boxer" made the list: they were some of the my favorites that I thought would miss out (especially with "Funeral" being so amazing).

Also, with the placement of "Neon Bible" in the Top 200, things look good for "Funeral" to have a high ranking as well.

Its strange to see the two big TV on the Radio albums end up so close to each other. I,m a little surprised as well that Dear Science managed to edge out RTCM.

Great start!

Here are my comments for the others in my top 100 that have appeared so far:

Blondie- Parallel Lines: (My number 68)

The comprehensive Parallel Lines plays like a greatest hits compilation, as it touches on everything that made the band so great- rumbling punk rave-ups, angular new wave sheen, ironic disco flashes and genuine pop anthems.

The Cure- Seventeen Seconds: (My number 17, of course)

Sometimes less is more, and this case it is much, much more.  Robert and company craft their work with great precision and care- it sounds as if there were a limited number of notes and sounds available and they needed to bring out their utmost potential. Rarely have notes been used so sparingly yet so effectively, as the skeletal musical structure mimics the emptiness it conveys. An essential recording in the Cure's canon, Seventeen Seconds is the archetype Cure record and their first classic. Full review at http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Moonbeam/rating713381

PJ Harvey- Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea: (My number 89)

A softer, gentler side of PJ emerges on Stories, but the brazen femininity of her previous efforts still shines through, resulting in her most balanced and melodic album.

My highest so far was AC/DC. Definitely a love/hate album, but it's the best written and executed of all their stuff, and probably the most consistent and hardest-rocking. (It's also the first CD I ever got that wasn't a "hit", as opposed to the Will Smith and Backstreet Boys that made up most of my childhood record collection, which was entirely made of burned CDs I got for Christmas from my "cool" aunt. I later found her tastes in hair-metal were a lot less cool than mine.)

Penguin
Also, with the placement of "Neon Bible" in the Top 200, things look good for "Funeral" to have a high ranking as well.

I'm going to guess that Funeral finishes inside the T20 - let's say 18th. Feels right.

I hope that Summerteeth made it (my #19).

My highest so far is Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea (#30), followed by Maxinquaye (#35), Dear Science (#43) and Post (#46).

This was my unpublished comment from two years ago on SftC,SftS, when I had it in my top-20:

"If you hate Patti Smith, you might see this album as too influenced by her. If you love Patti Smith, you might feel the same. If you are fairly neutral about Patti Smith - like me - you don't care and just love this album for the force of PJ Harvey's artistry combined with her best collection of songs."

This was my 90's poll comment on Maxinquaye from two years ago:

"I remember arguing at the time this came out with a Brit about the relative merits of Tricky, Portishead, and (post-Tricky) Massive Attack. I think I may still be in the minority on this one… Tricky (or at least Maxinquaye) is better. More sex, more tension, more anger. Portishead does have more pain in Beth Gibbons voice, but it's at a remove. An interesting, cinematic remove... but a remove nonetheless. Tricky has a bit too much of the hip-hop bravado about him, but not too much, and not enough to drown out the more important themes in his album."

Dear Science got a high placing from me because I have just discovered this wonderful album, and thus am in the infatuation stage. Maybe my ardor will cool in time, but I could also see it rising in my estimation. I've actually not yet heard ...Cookie Montain, but it is definitely one that I will listen to soon.

206. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love & Hate
205. Weezer - Weezer [The Blue Album]
201. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
199. The National - Boxer
197. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
196. OutKast - Stankonia
194. The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
192. Nas - Illmatic
191. Blondie - Parallel Lines
190. The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
183. Bob Marley - Exodus
182. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

Are all on my list. Boxer was 199 on mine too. And Illmatic is the highest ranking one so far at 50.

207 Aretha Franklin I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You 1967
203. AC/DC - Back In Black 1980
202. Tricky - Maxinquaye 1995
201. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head 2002
196. OutKast - Stankonia 2000
192. Nas - Illmatic 1994
191. Blondie - Parallel Lines 1978
190. The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible 2007
188. Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space 1997
186. Carole King - Tapestry 1971
184. The Beatles - A Hard Day’s Night 1964
182. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain 2006
179. Wire - Pink Flag 1977

wow, 14 albums have already appeared on my top 200.

I also voted for:

Post (my #25)
Maggot Brain (#127)
Pink Flag (#143)

So Far:

196. OutKast - Stankonia (#137)
195. R.E.M. - Life’s Rich Pageant (#162)
191. Blondie - Parallel Lines (#85)
189. Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece (#132)
185. The Shins - Chutes too narrow (#149)
184. The Beatles - A Hard Day’s Night (#113)
182. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain (160)
181. Brian Eno - Another Green World (FORGOT IT! Should've been like a top 50 :-(.)
178. TV on the Radio - Dear Science (97)

Here's what I wrote about the albums that have appeared so far:

TV on the Radio | Dear Science (my number 97): "I'm not sure why TV on the Radio can consistently find better beats than any hip-hop artist I've heard from the last ten years. "DLZ" and "Dancing Choose" are absolute jams, and the band proves once again that their greatest talent is their ability to find excellent melodies."

Funkadelic | Maggot Brain (my number 94): "The mythology behind the epic title track seems to be all people talk about with this album, but I enjoy the subsequent tracks just as much as Eddie Hazel's famous solo. Tracks like "Can You Get to That" and "Hit It and Quit It" form an excellent synthesis of soul, funk, and rock music. It goes a little downhill in the end, but Maggot Brain's incredible side 1 more than justifies this as an epic rock record."

Brian Eno | Another Green World (My number 93): "Already a huge fan of many Eno-produced albums, this is my first (but certainly not last) foray into his solo career. While I find the album uneven, its peaks--such as the genre-defining ambient track "The Big Ship" and Robert Fripp's guitar solo on "St. Elmo's Fire"--more than justify its classic status."

Slint | Spiderland (My number 91): "If you're ready for it, this album sets an atmosphere like no other. Using conventional instruments to convey an unconvetional sound, Slint produces the rare album for which a 'post-rock' label actually makes sense. Few albums reach a climax like Spiderland's eerie closer, "Good Morning, Captain," which contains an ending that needs to be heard to be believed."

The Beach Boys | Surf's Up (My number 84): "Certainly no Pet Sounds, this is one of the most eccentric albums I've ever heard. The album has little sense of flow, is composed of relatively separate contributions from every member of the group, and has some bizzare lyrical themes (taking care of your feet? not polluting?). Yet still, Surf's Up manages to be very appealing due to the melodic gift of the Beach Boys, as well as the best one-two punch ever to end an album: the simply devastating duo "'Til I Die" and "Surf's Up." They beat Animal Collective at their own game on "Feel Flows," and produce an oddly inspirational chorus on "Long Promised Road." It barely feels like the same album at times, yet it's still a late-career achievement for the Beach Boys."

Nas | Illmatic (My number 76): "I don't think this is the best rap album of all time, but it's certainly in the conversation. Virtually every song on here is a classic of the genre, and the lyrics are consistently smarter than anything Nas' contemporaries could produce."

Wire | Pink Flag (My number 73): "Hard-hitting riffs, mostly incomprehensible lyrics, and songs that are over before you realize they're even playing. What more could you want from a landmark punk record?"

Wu-Tang Clan | Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (My number 68): "For a while, I wondered what the appeal of this was. Now I realize it's for three main reasons. First, it can make even the most suburban white kid feel like a badass. Second, it cultivates a genuine sense of fear and danger, which most great rap albums tend to have. And third, it features probably the greatest group of talent ever assembled on a rap album; like a supergroup in reverse, almost all of these guys went on to have respectable solo careers."

Spiritualized | Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space (My number 29): "The band name fits the album well: listening to Ladies and Gentlemen… can be a truly spiritual experience. The title track is a downright glorious sonic experience, "Come Together" would have been an alt-rock radio smash if it wasn't so explicit, and "I Think I'm in Love" has that absolutely soaring ending. Overall, the true power behind this highly orchestrated album is its ability to excel at both ear-throbbing multi-instrument freakouts as well as slowly paced, truly beautiful songs."

Hey, if you don't mind nicolas...

If not a single Frank Zappa / Mother of Invention album made the top 200, could you tell me the highest ranked on the list.

If there's FZ on the way (a miracle!) don't tell me though, I want it to be a surprise.

Only two of mine have appeared.

The Who - Quadrophenia (#9)
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers (#41)

Quadrophenia simply is one of my favorite bands at their overblown concept album peak. Everything on that record is so invigorating, and at a time when grandiosity in rock was totally warranted.

Wu-Tang is notable because it looks like it's my only hip-hop album in my 200. The genre is very interesting and fascinating, but almost every acclaimed hip-hop album (except for the old school ones that basically collect singles) is plagued by long running times with tedious filler. 36 Chambers is tightly constructed with a carnival of characters with deliveries so varied that you can listen to it no matter what mood you're in. And with the subject matter of the songs, when you're not laughing or mesmerized by the rhymes, you're scared at the Clan's manic seriousness in which they tell their stories.

I too hope "Summerteeth" made the list (I think it's superior to "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"). I think it has a good chance, it's #27 on my list.

Oh...

Beach Boys - Surf's Up (#57)

I wonder, if Weezer hadn't released so many mediocre to awful albums after Pinkerton, would the Blue Album and Pinkerton be looked on more kindly? Instead the younger generation know Weezer as lame, and my generation sees them more as nostalgia than a great band that lost it's way. I had the Blue Album at #12.

Hard Day's Night- #42
Vampire Weekend- #97
Enter the Wu-Tang- #98
Dear Science- #141
Pink Flag- #148

10 albums on my 172 albums list so far, with Enter the Wu-Tang as my highest entry (#23).
I did not write lots of comments but I had one for that album so here we go :

I usually enjoy the hip-hop when it is fun, colorful, energic, so it is quite surprising that this album is that high in my list. However I regard it as one of the most cinematic albums ever ; RZA has succeeded in creating a heavy grey atmosphere while a bunch of MCs spits out a threatening flow. There might not be a song that stands out, but cut off the skits and there are not a single weak moment. The aesthetic has since often be imitated (sometimes for the best) but never been topped through out a full album.

I kinda expected the 100-200 list to be much more 90s/00s oriented than the top100. And I guess that is where we will see the few hip-hop albums that made the cut.
And maybe it is because it was on my list but Demon Days is not the biggest surprise for me. Veedon Fleece much more is, I don't remember it getting much support on the 74s poll.

Shame on a Nigga is one of the best hip-hop tracks ever, so I'd say that stands out. But, I agree that it is solid from top to bottom.

I got three so far. Three pretty high ranked albums..

209. Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible (my #3)
187. Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight (my #22)
177. Slint - Spiderland (my #11)

So far 7+3

#17 TV on the Radio - Dear Science (The very high placement may have something to do with the gig of the year.)
#19 Brian Eno - Another Green World
#37 National - Boxer (This may be too high on my list but luckily becasue of that it made the final top 200)
#49 Slint - Spiderland
#59 TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountains
#69 Vampire Weekend
#151 Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

+
#96 Björk - Post
#100 Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
#161 Tricky - Maxinquaye

The Evolution in AM Forums

2009-2008-2005

176 - 114 - xxx - Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
177 - 152 - xxx - Slint - Spiderland
178 - xxx - xxx - TV On The Radio - Dear Science
179 - xxx - 159 - Wire - Pink Flag
180 - 142 - xxx - PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
181 - 153 - 155 - Eno - Another Green World
182 - xxx - xxx - TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
183 - xxx - xxx - Bob Marley and The Wailers - Exodus
184 - xxx - 188 - The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
185 - 198 - xxx - The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
186 - 192 - 91 - Carole King - Tapestry
187 - xxx - 138 - Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
188 - 145 - 44 - Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
189 - xxx - xxx - Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece
190 - xxx - xxx - Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
191 - xxx - xxx - Blondie - Parallel Lines
192 - 150 - xxx - Nas - Illmatic
193 - 184 - 102 - The Cure - Seventeen Seconds
194 - 121 - xxx - The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
195 - 166 - xxx - R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant
196 - 197 - xxx - OutKast - Stankonia
197 - xxx - xxx - Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
198 - 170 - xxx - Gorillaz - Demon Days
199 - xxx - xxx - The National - Boxer
200 - xxx - xxx - Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

That's a great statistic, otisredding !

But let us go back to our list with a great progression

175. Big Star - #1 Record (AM rank 485)

but, even more impressive ...

The Knife – Silent Shout (2006)

AM 3000 rank : 942

Total Points = 703.4

Appeared on 11 ballots / 68

Fans: Nassim # 7, Hauke # 21, BillAdama # 22

Moderator's point of view:
Contrary to what could be expected, the electronica Swedish duo's performance does not always come from the Nordic European voters but from all parts of the world. Great example of a moderately acclaimed album doing great.

Nassim:
This album made me realise the importance of production, not that I did not know it played its part in the quality of an album, but I never thought it could transcend songwriting that much. There are so many meanings in the way that, for instance, voices and instruments appear and disappear in "One Hit" that I could probably write an essay about it ; and all the album is gold, from the frightening opening of Silent Shout to the resignation of Forest Families or the harmonies of We Share our Mother's Health

BillAdma:
Guess what I'm rooting for in Moderate ?.

Wooohoo! Great start, nicolas! Great with a Swedish album on the list (although Silent Shout didn't make it onto my list)! Great stats, otisredding!

173. Elvis Costello - Armed Forces- 1979 - AM# 322

172. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not- 2006- AM 245

171. The Smiths - The Smiths - 1984 - AM 172

170. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf - 2002 - AM 414

169. Bob Dylan - Desire - 1976 - AM 371

168. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - 1967 - AM 100

167. Sly & The Family Stone - Stand! - 1969 - AM 175

166. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska - 1982 - AM 118

165. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand - 2004- AM 108

164. Neil Young - Tonight's The Night - 1975 - AM 137

163. The Who - Tommy - 1969 - AM 107

162. Guns N’ Roses - Appetite For Destruction - 1987 - AM 60

161. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing… - 1996 - 103

160. Derek & the Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs - 1970 - AM 69

159. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - 1993 - AM 148

158. The Kinks - Something Else By The Kinks - 1967 - AM - 307

157. Nick Drake - Bryter Layter - 1970 - AM 232

156. Michael Jackson - Off The Wall - 1979 - AM - 114

155. Talking Heads - Fear of music - 1979 - AM - 237

I absolutely love Silent Shout. It caught the tail end of my list, and while I would like if it was higher I'm happy it broke the T200. With that and RtCM already on the list, it looks like 2006 is done.

Daft Punk – Discovery (2000)

AM 3000 rank : 1327

Total Points = 819.01

Appeared on 11 ballots / 68

Fans: Scwhah # 8, octopus # 19, VanillaFire1000 # 20

Moderator's point of view:
Another European electro duo, this time from Versailles, France. The majority of voters prefer this more pop-oriented album to Homework , which is # 303 at AM and only 470 in our poll. This is probably the only album lower than # 1000 on AM 3000 to make our top 200.

Jackson:
Sheer fun expressed on record. While Daft Punk's Homework merely tires me out, it is hard to listen to this one without grinning. Those first four tracks, ranging from the dance standard "One More Time" to guitar heroics on "Digital Love" and "Aerodynamic," rival the beginning of any album.

153. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory - 1970 - AM 170

152. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica - 1969 - AM 53

151. Steely Dan - Aja - 1977 - AM 271 (Georgie's number 1)

The Evolution in AM Forums

2009-2008-2005

151 - xxx - xxx - Steely Dan - Aja
152 - 167 - xxx - Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
153 - 180 - 194 - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory
154 - xxx - xxx - Daft Punk - Discovery
155 - 164 - 87 - Talking Heads - Fear of Music
156 - xxx - xxx - Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
157 - 200 - xxx - Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
158 - 144 - 158 - The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks
159 - 94 - xxx - Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
160 - 177 - 120 - Derek and The Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
161 - 124 - 98 - DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....
162 - xxx - xxx - Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
163 - 139 - xxx - The Who - Tommy
164 - xxx - xxx - Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
165 - 172 - 89 - Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
166 - 191 - xxx - Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
167 - 148 - xxx - Sly and the Family Stone - Stand!
168 - xxx - xxx - Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
169 - 186 - xxx - Bob Dylan - Desire
170 - xxx - xxx - Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
171 - 185 - 81 - The Smiths - The Smiths
172 - 163 - xxx - Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
173 - xxx - xxx - Elvis Costello and The Attractions - Armed Forces
174 - xxx - xxx - The Knife - Silent Shout
175 - 143 - xxx - Big Star - #1 Record

5 albums of my list in that section, including my #2 Songs for the Deaf, #7 Silent Shout and #11 Endtroducing.

I'm really really happy QOTSA cracked the top 200 ! I'm now hoping that my #1 is in the top 100 (it was pretty close to it in the previous poll, around 105 if I remember well)

My comment on this album by the way :
From the first seconds of Millionaire to the last ones of Mosquito Song, this album is everything a rock album should be : dangerous, slick, sexy, sensitive, tender, direct, clever, introspective, arrogant, mercyless, hypnotic… A song for the dead and A Song for the Dead as the 2 stoners picks, more throbbing and tense than anything else, balanced by the relative poppiness of No One Knows and Go With the Flow and by the sheer craziness of Six Shooters. This all lead to the gorgeous final of Mosquito Song, at the same time a lullaby (to paralyze), a requiem and the exit music of an incredible road movie through the desert.

SR
I absolutely love Silent Shout. It caught the tail end of my list, and while I would like if it was higher I'm happy it broke the T200. With that and RtCM already on the list, it looks like 2006 is done.

Yes, probably it's done, with the Arctic Monkeys in the top spot for the year!
I had some hope to see Fear of Music in the top 100, but it's still good to see it here, probably the 2nd best ranked TH in the list.

nicolas, will you do the larger presentation (with artwork and statistics and comments) for all albums once we reach the top 100?

Jackson... great comment on Discovery. You summed up succinctly exaxctly why it shot into my top-10 and is my top album of the decade currently. It grabbed me on my first listen, but I never thought it would have the staying power in my imagination. In so many ways it's ludicrous... the Neil Diamond-esque closing line grunts of Romanthony on the epic opening track, the 70's stardust pop filtered through a Buck Rogers sensibility, the Barry Manilow sample for godssake. But as Thomas Bangalter said about the album:

"When you're a child you don't judge or analyze music. You just like it because you like it. You're not concerned with whether it's cool or not. Sometimes you might relate to just one thing in a song, such as the guitar sound. This album takes a playful, fun, and colorful look at music. It's about the idea of looking at something with an open mind and not asking too many questions. It's about the true, simple, and honest relationship you have with music when you're open to your own feelings."

I also had:

- Fear of Music at #37 (a recent discovery for me, anchored by the fantastic "Life During Wartime" -- I prefer it far and away to Remain in Light)

- Stand! at #55 (Practically a greatest hits album in and of itself)

- Tommy at #59 (for all of its excesses, which lead directly to the poor choice to feature Daltry's voice more heavily in the 70's, it is tuneful as hell, and was a huge part of my teenage years)

- Something Else by the Kinks at #105 (How great a song is "David Watts"?)

- Franz Ferdinand at #124 (honestly, it's slipping in my estimation... last time out I had it at #31)

- Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not at #200 (uneven album with enough heights to eke onto my list, but I'm already wondering whether I should have had an number of other albums (including Silent Shout) on instead)

Michael
nicolas, will you do the larger presentation (with artwork and statistics and comments) for all albums once we reach the top 100?

yes

I love that Thomas Bangalter quote !

Jonah

If not a single Frank Zappa / Mother of Invention album made the top 200, could you tell me the highest ranked on the list.

If there's FZ on the way (a miracle!) don't tell me though, I want it to be a surprise.

467. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

is the highest FZ record

I had The Smiths, Nick Drake, The Who, and Derek and the Dominos, but none of them were too high no my list (The Smiths being highest I believe).

Also, I think I should have placed "Chutes Too Narrow" on my list - I'm listening to it now and it's pretty brilliant.

Had The Knife, DJ Shadow, and the Smashing Pumpkins on my list, although all three were second half.

I'm happy Daft Punk did well, but I'm disappointed that Arctic Monkeys beat the Knife and TVotR.

I didn't vote for as many in that section:

Big Star | #1 Record (my number 82): "'September Gurls' is Big Star's best song by far, but #1 Record is far more consistent than Radio City. The opening four songs highlight why Big Star is considered one of the more overlooked bands of all time, and the quality hardly lets up from there. As with all three Big Star studio albums, I constantly wonder why these guys weren't hugely popular while listening to it."

The Kinks | Something Else By The Kinks (my number 35): "It's a good thing they stuck "Waterloo Sunset," one of the few true masterpieces in pop music history, at the end of this album, lest it dominate the other twelve songs. But that isn't to say there's nothing else of merit here. Songs like "David Watts," "Two Sisters," and "Afternoon Tea" are among the Kinks' finest moments, and a particularly strong stretch of songs in the middle of the album usually causes me to think, 'Why weren't The Kinks as acclaimed as the Beatles?'"

Daft Punk's Discovery was my number 26.

I considered the DJ Shadow and Nick Drake albums, but they ultimately fell just outside my top 100.

I had...

171. The Smiths - The Smiths - 1984 - AM 172
170. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf - 2002 - AM 414
166. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska - 1982 - AM 118
159. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - 1993 - AM
157. Nick Drake - Bryter Layter - 1970 - AM 232
156. Michael Jackson - Off The Wall - 1979 - AM - 114

And of course, Daft Punk. I think Silent Shout was in mine as well near the bottom. Most of these picks were in my latter half.

Albums that were in my top 100:

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head - 56
Nas - Illmatic - 50
Vampire Weekend - S/T - 85
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska - 87
Daft Punk - Discovery - 20

168. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn - 1967
165. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand - 2004
163. The Who - Tommy - 1969
162. Guns N’ Roses - Appetite For Destruction - 1987
161. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing… - 1996
160. Derek & the Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs - 1970
159. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - 1993
156. Michael Jackson - Off The Wall - 1979
153. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory - 1970
152. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

These 10 albums all made my Top 200.

Hey nicolas, do you know what was the highest ranking album on AM that nobody put on any of their lists?

I was going to ask the same question. Last time I think it was Rum, Sodomy and the lash and I know for certain that at least one person voted for that album this time.

Anyone care to guess what it might be?

nicolas
Jonah

is the highest FZ record

that's so lame :/

Three more albums from me.

174. The Knife - Silent Shout (my #64)
165. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (my #59)
163. The Who - Tommy (my #82)

#10- Piper at the Gates of Dawn: An overlooked psychedelic classic. For some reason, it seems Madcap Laughs is looked on more fondly than this record. Maybe Syd Barrett doesn't bring as many negative implications to some people as Pink Floyd? This isn't The Wall. If you haven't heard this album you're past due!

#31- Big Star #1 Record: Kind of surprised this went down since '08.
#59- Sly and the Family Stone: Stand
#74- Kinks- Something Else
#110- Siamese Dream
#139- Armed Forces: His masterpiece.

I've just listened to The Wall and 75 % of it sounds terrible

Piper is a good album that wasn't on my list cause I haven't heard it for a long time

So far the following have appeared from my top 150

210 - Quadrophenia (82)
203 - Back in Black (109)
195 - Life's Rich Pageant (113)
189 - Veedon Fleece (1)
173 - Armed Forces (72)
169 - Desire (74)
160 - Layla and other assorted love songs (33)
157 - Bryter Layter (92)
156 - Off the Wall (118)
153 - Cosmo's Factory (66)
151 - Aja (117)

To me, this all about new discoveries. I must confess, I've never heard of the Knife but I will now pick up this CD because I am curious. As you can probably tell, my list, for the most part, was fairly old with sprinkles of stuff from the 90s and 2000s. The highest on my list from the 2000s was the Strokes
Room on Fire (56) and Beck - Sea Change (58).

I would hope that those who have not heard Van Morrison's Veedon Fleece may become curious and seek it out. It was not particularly well received when it came out. Jim Miller of Rolling Stone, in particular, gave it a lousy review. Like many classes, however, it aged well with time and requires a new look. I am hoping that Gene Clark's No Other (7 on my list) will make the cut. I can't wait to find out.

150. Oasis - Definitely Maybe – 1994 – AM 84

149. Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom – 1974 – AM 231

148. Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark – 1974 –AM 132

147. Prince – 1999 – 1982 – AM 181

146. Pearl Jam – Ten – 1991 – AM 144

145. Kraftwerk - Trans-Europa Express – 1977 – AM 97

144. Sigur Rós- Ágætis byrjun – 1999 – AM 317

143. David Bowie - Station to Station – 1976 – AM 267

142. Björk – Debut – 1993 – AM 142

141. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness – 1995 – AM 249

You found 147-150 then

I,m sorry Rock Bottom is outside the top 100 this time.

Nicolas; if Wilco's Summerteeth didn't make it, can you tell me where it placed?

Thanks Nicolas for all this monumental job.
Bravo.

Jonathon
Nicolas; if Wilco's Summerteeth didn't make it, can you tell me where it placed?

No spoilers! I want each and every entry to be a surprise. There will be time for that afterwards.

Also I'm very surprised that Mellon Collie beat the far more awesome Siamese Dream. From this ten I had Sigur Ros and Prince.

Only voted for Station to Station out of that last bunch. I still haven't listened to many of the albums that appeared so far, so I have tons of work to do.

Love, love "Mellon Collie" over "Siamese Dream". Sure, Mellon Collie has its inconsistencies (just like every double album), but it shows the full spectrum of what the Smashing Pumpkins could do. The range is spectacular, with only one complete clunker (that would be "Tales of a Scorched Earth"). It's number 6 on my list, while "Siamese Dream" (which is probably way overrated) isn't even on mine. I firmly believe that "Mellon Collie" is one of the best double albums ever created (if not THE best).

Rock Bottom was my number 2

last time it made the top 100 but now there are 20 more people and it's harder for a lesser known album to break the final 100.

speaking of personal favorites...

Mellon Collie is the only new thing from my list, at 61. I think it is one of the greatest double albums of all time (3rd on my list, 2nd if not counting one album that makes one CD.) 1979 is the song of the 90s.

Elliott Smith – XO - 1998

AM 3000 rank : 666

Total Points = 868.85

Appeared on 15 ballots / 68

Fans: Scwhah # 7, Nassim # 16 , John # 25

Jackson:
How did Elliott Smith follow up his 1997 achievement Either/Or? By producing an album of near-identical quality, only with far better production values. My preference for Either/Or is due to it maintaining a slightly more consistent emotional connection, but XO is still pretty amazing. The lyrics are fantasic, his vocals are sensational, and the arrangements are top-notch. How much more could you ask for from an artist transitioning from an indie to a major label?

139. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A. – 1984 - 146

138. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady –1963 – AM 343

137. Lou Reed - Berlin - 1973– AM 197

136. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique - 1989– AM 116

135. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti - 1975– AM 96

134. Pink Floyd - The Wall - 1979- AM 150

133. Neil Young – Harvest - 1972- AM 113

132. Antony & the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now – 2005– – 174

131. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots – 2002– – AM 362

130. The Band - Music From Big Pink – 1968– – AM 73

129. Primal Scream – Screamadelica – 1991 – AM 63

128. Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On – 1971 – AM 51

From this group, I only had Sly and the Family Stone and the Beastie Boys. In fact, I'm listening to B-Boy Bouillabaisse as I type this.

Interesting to see I Am a Bird Now. I'm pleasantly surprised that one's made it.

Interpol – Turn On The Bright Lights (2002)

AM 3000 rank : 453

Total Points = 935.05

Appeared on 15 ballots / 68

Fans: Hauke # 2, octopus # 13

Delighted to see Turn on the Bright Lights so high

126. The Velvet Underground – Loaded – 1970 - AM 195

125. Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis – 1969 – AM 95

124. The Jesus and Mary Chain – Psychocandy – 1985 - AM 80

nicolas
Jonah

is the highest FZ record

I haven't made a list for this poll. I'm sorry for Zappa's fans because "Hot rats" is in my personal top 5 album of all-time...

Hooray we are almost in the top 100. Great list so far.

It was nice to see that you picked Silent Shout (+ Daft Punk, Elliott Smith and Interpol). Actually I expected to see Silent Shout way too higher on the list. It didn't do that well in the year lists in 06 (in Pitchfork and Rumba it was album of the year but they are only magazines I can remember) However it's album that will go up in the AM-list. It has done well in the decade lists (again I thought it would do better). The album has its supporters also in this forum. In AM moderate poll it started its play offs in the peak position and beat Broken Social Scene (which is also very good album) 16-0 in the first round. But after all it's nice to see it in top 200.

I voted these
175-124
#7 Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
#12 Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & Infinite Sadness
#15 Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
#16 Antony & the Johnsons - I am the Bird Now
#27 Primal Scream - Screamadelica
#53 Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
#55 Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
#58 Knife, the - Silent Shout
#106 Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
#126 Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
#137 Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
#150 Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
#169 Elliott Smith - XO
#187 Jesus & Mary Chain Psychocandy
#190 Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark

I pick the albums which are much higher than on the AM 3000.

So far we've seen some of my favorites

Robert Wyatt - Sea song #2

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska #10

Neil Young - Harvest #14

CCR - Cosmo's factory #18

Two new from me in the last group

150. Oasis - Definitely Maybe (my #125)
127. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights (my #74)

I didn't expect to see Interpol so high, if at all. Welcome surprise. Also, Loaded is amazing. It's high placement gives me hope that White Light/White Heat cracks the t100.

Only 2 of these were in my list:

Franz Ferdinand- Franz Ferdinand (#47)

Taken as a whole, it is easy to understand why these 11 tracks of winks, whispers and innuendo turned critic and casual listener alike into giggling teenagers. Darts of Pleasure, indeed. Full review at http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Moonbeam/rating812551

Michael Jackson- Off the Wall (#142)

I've voted for:

Lou Reed- Berlin (#39)

Off of the surprising success of Transformer, Lou Reed has revealed that he recorded Berlin to prove to people that he "wasn't kidding." Indeed, Berlin tackles many universal 70s excesses:  drugs, domestic violence, promiscuity and suicide.  It met with baffled critical reception from a public not ready to objectively view itself. While not as successful or classic as Transformer, Berlin holds up better as an album and cements the legacy of Lou Reed. Full review at http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Moonbeam/rating713583

Björk- Debut (#75)

Having broken ties with the Sugarcubes, Björk was free to dress herself in the poppier and jazzier layers that suit her so well. Debut bursts at the seams with ideas and energy.

David Bowie- Station to Station (#85)

Each of the six songs is delivered exquisitely. It takes the soulful elements of Young Americans and transposes them into a more cohesive and resonant palette.

Jesus and Mary Chain- Psychocandy (#199)

and...

My number 1 album gets the full review here:

Sometimes, pressure can prove to be the perfect catalyst to greatness. Four years and four albums after arriving on the music scene in 1978, Prince had yet to establish a firm foot in either the commercial or critical pantheon. Although he had built a fanbase in the black market, Prince had never really broken through the barriers his music had tried to eradicate. His only crossover hit, "I Wanna Be Your Lover" was pure confection, and its success didn't prove lasting, as the subsequent critical darling Dirty Mind failed to set the charts alight, and Controversy earned its sales on the back of an extensive tour that helped Prince to hone his growing reputation as a great liver performer. Needless to say, the stakes were high when 1982 rolled around, and Prince buried himself in the studio for months, tirelessly toiling away at the songs that would form the basis of his masterwork, 1999. Prince needed something big, and he needed it now. How big? Well, how about a double album? It took equal amounts of courage on Prince's part and faith on the part of his record company to proceed with four sides of music that would break the format of the traditional 3 to 4 minute pop song, implying that Prince was important enough to merit double the attention of the general audience. Considering his modest commercial and critical cache, this is quite a statement. And the music lives up to the pretension. Not only did 1999 present Prince as a legitimate hitmaker, it managed to deliver his most adventurous album to date to his largest audience. Its 11 songs sprawl across many feelings and emotions with a confident assurance. Clearly, Prince was tapping into something vital.

Perhaps it is because 1999 was incredibly relevant at the time and its messages loom large today as well. In 1982, the world was in a mess. AIDS was festering in Africa. The Soviet Union and the USA were entrenched in the frigid Cold War. The tension in the Middle East was augmented. The world's economy experienced an enormous crash, rendering several countries in South America and Africa paupers in the world market (many of which have not recovered). Who wasn't worried about the troubled times? With 1999, Prince achieved a truly rare feat- he tuned in perfectly to contemporary fears while still imprinting his singular perspective. While he does not always address these fears directly, there is a latent tension permeating the entire album that resonates with a potent urgency.

Take the title track, for example. It opens with an ominous, electronically-altered voice imploring us to have fun, before the Minneapolis Sound comes into full effect. A numbingly catchy synth line triumphantly bursts forth before integrating with a viciously funky bass line and a startlingly intricate drum machine which marks Prince's emergence as a master of the Linn-1. Bandmates Lisa Coleman and Dez Dickerson each sing a line of the opening verse, with Prince adding a third before the three come together for the last verse and unforgettable chorus. Lyrically, the song paints a picture of an impending apocalypse, but rather than wallow in despair, Prince plans to celebrate while he's still alive. While the overt message may seem like a simple excuse to give in to our bodily desires, the lyrics also double as a call for spiritual preparation for the End Times ("Can't run from Revelation, y'all"). While "Controversy" explored a similar theme of interwoven spiritual and corporeal sanctity that was echoed in future classics like "Let's Go Crazy" and "Crystal Ball", the message is never as clear as it is on "1999". After the main vocal segments of the song are complete, it opens up into a tightly-woven funk fest, complete with chicken-scratching guitars and an even more prominent drum machine that geniusly (yes, geniusly) rumbles like thunder. At the end, an eerie set of voices twice beckon, "Mommy, why does everybody have a bomb?" before a sonic blast detonates. With the raw display of innovation and talent evident in each of the instruments Prince plays here on top of classic Prince themes of love, lust and spirituality, this is the Holy Grail of Prince singles.

Following in its mighty wake are two more unforgettable singles. "Little Red Corvette" dexterously shifts gears into pop/rock glory in the time-honored tradition of equating cars with sex. Boasting the most commercial melody on the album, it proved to be the single that broke Prince through to the mainstream for good, and rightfully so. Moreover, its message of the triumph of love over lust indicates that this is a Prince who has matured to some degree. Closing up this most impressive opening side of 1999 is "Delirious", a continuation of the car/sex imagery set to a synth/funk rockabilly backdrop in the vein of the unreleased "Broken, Lonely and Crying", "Turn It Up" and "No Call U", as well as Controversy's "Jack U Off". It explores the effects of the suffocating beauty of a woman and proves to be Prince's greatest achievement within the genre.

After craftily placing the smash singles at the beginning of the album, 1999 then meanders into deeper, darker, and more experimental territory over the space of three glorious sides, revealing some dark corners of Prince's psyche. Having cleansed the pop palette, Prince then proceeds to present his listeners with a number of tantalizing paradoxes. A textbook example sees Prince clamoring, "I'm in love with God, he's the only way" in juxtaposition with "I sincerely want to fuck the taste out of your mouth" in the frantic pulse of "Let's Pretend We're Married". Continuing with the taxi theme presented in Controversy's "Annie Christian", "Lady Cab Driver" portrays a despondent Prince looking for an escape and finding a confidante in his female chauffer, creating a real sense of alienation. The pair hit it off, and Prince exorcises his demons in the throes of passion in the form of a lengthy diatribe that ranges from personal ("this is for why I wasn't born like my brother- handsome and tall"), to political ("this is for politicians who were born to believe in war"), to spiritual ("this is for the creator of man"). It also contains the lyrical highlight of the entire album- the dedication of a sexual thrust to "love without sex". Prince was clearly functioning on a new level here. One of the greatest songs on the album, "Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)" presents a sonic paradox. A turbulent drum line opens the song and sets the stage for the uneasiness that follows with the lyrics. Obviously broken-hearted, Prince struggles to find an explanation for the substandard treatment he receives from the women he loves. With a rhythmically beautiful display of alliteration (try "why else would a woman wanna treat a man so bad" for size), lyrically it is quite impressive. The song, like its composer, seems to be tearing apart at its seams- at once maintaining the turbulent, robotic synths and drums while the emotion begins to overflow with an almost psychotic zest in the form of some wild, guttural screams of frustrated outrage, only to conclude with an acknowledgement that he really does love the subject of the song, backed by sustained synth strings. What was this guy thinking?

The other extended synth/funk jams are equally impressive. "DMSR" evolved into a sort of motto for Prince, with its line "I don't care to win awards...all I wanna do is dance, play music sex romance..." being exemplary of his attitude at the time. "Automatic" follows with its sonic ecstasy superimposed over dark messages of a sexual power struggle. Its 9 minutes are a voyage into seemingly uncharted territory. Perhaps the most experimental of these is "All the Critics Love U in New York". Exuding great confidence, Prince realizes that he is the "it" artist of the time and takes the opportunity to take a swipe at his critics and admirers alike in a nasty, frenetic, rhythmic explosion over seemingly disinterested, lazy half-rapping. The funk effervesces throughout the entire song while a synth line churns and crunches feverishly. It is undeniably singular in its kind and stands out as one of the most memorable moments on not only the album, but of his career. These onslaughts of funk are stunning not because they are so drawn out (all but "All the Critics" are over 7 minutes in length), but because they still seem fairly concise. Not a beat was misused- not a measure was misplaced. Moreover, while these songs are instantly accessible, they are innovative and interesting enough for lasting impact.

The ballads are also quite memorable. "Free" offers a prelude to what would come in Prince's career with the massive anthemic success of "Purple Rain", as Prince vehemently defends his freedom. The album closes with "International Lover," an appropriate ending track to this voyage through the dark realms of electronic funk. Sassy and strident, the song obviously gave Prince a chance to appeal to his fans who found him sexy, and returns him to his travel theme, this time playing the pilot of a rather saucy airplane. His offer to take you around the world serves as a reminder that he has done just that with this sprawling suite of amazing music.

Another facet of the album that assures its greatness is that the entire album is tied together by a common sound. I tend to prefer albums that stretch the palette of one sound as far as it can go. Any of these songs popping up randomly on the radio would be instantly identifiable as a representative of 1999. Despite this bond, the songs are easily distinguishable from each other. 1999 is also arguably Prince's most minimalist work, employing few instruments in the mix, yet it propagates a dense fog of funk that sounds both sparse and forebodingly full. Prince pushed himself to his creative limit with this album and the outtakes most associated with it, incorporating inexplicable gurgling sounds, an elephant roar, soldier footsteps and city noises into the mix and they perfectly fit within the framework of the music, almost sounding as if they were intentionally recorded for the sole purpose of inclusion on this album. While the template was in place with Dirty Mind and Controversy, Prince's creativity and confidence allowed him to foster a particular sound for 1999, and this ice-cold amethyst funk that would go on to influence a lot of music in the ensuing years.

The entire record is so exciting because it was recorded by an incredibly gifted artist on the brink of superstardom. This was the last music Prince recorded before becoming a bona fide megastar. It exhibits all of the hunger, drive and determination of the first four releases, but the confident swagger and new maturity would assure that this time, critical and commercial success would both be forthcoming. In essence, then, this was Prince's rite of passage into manhood. It didn't need any gimmicks- there was no need for him to grace the cover in some provocative pose. The music spoke for itself. Stunningly, 1999 is entirely the work of one man. Certainly, studio engineers were involved in the mixing. Prince even includes "the Revolution" for the first time on the album sleeve. But make no mistake- this album is 100% Prince himself. 1999 is the culmination of his genius- the pinnacle of an artist whose talent I feel is unrivaled by anyone of the modern era. In light of this, it will always be my choice for the greatest album of all time.

A lot of great entrees so far. Particularly happy to see a lot of the great stuff from the current decade make it. Also happy to see a Nick Drake album.

I hope Harvest doesn't end up being the highest Neil Young album. It already beat out Tonight's the Night, which leaves Rust Never Sleeps and After the Gold Rush as ones likely to beat it. Young sounds so much better when he's not being commercial.

Bill...On The Beach was in my top 5; here's to hoping.

really enjoying reading this list! it is a good list. i hope nothing comes up i have forgotten about... in fact as soon as the ten not to make it appeared i wished some leonard cohen had sneaked in.

i'm glad you included those nicholas, holy bible was my #10. i've already had two of my picks highlighted as intersting picks based on the AMF 3000 list, but i guess my choices are mostly newer music - my mode and median are 1994.

i love prince, getting 1999 as i type. thanks!

edit: shouldn.t give anything away about the list!

#25- XO: Elliott Smith's 3rd best album... or maybe 2b. I doubt his self titled will make the list but it's #4 on my list. XO and Either/Or have the production but there is something really magical about Elliott Smith and just a couple instruments.
#62- Loaded
#72- Black Saint and the Sinner Lady: There are only a few non-vocal albums that I rank with the best vocal albums, but this is definitely one of them.
#101- Bjork- Debut: This still remains my favorite Bjork album.
#135- Cosmos Factory
#147- Aja: I finally figured out Aja this past year. I still am trying to get the rest of their stuff, but this is a great album.

Hey guys,

Has it been determined who is doing the song list? I know I'm on board for the artists list after that, but I'm not sure if anyone has claimed the song list. If not, I can do it.

150. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
147. Prince – 1999
145. Kraftwerk - Trans-Europa Express
141. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
139. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A. – 1984
138. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady
136. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique - 1989
135. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti - 1975
134. Pink Floyd - The Wall - 1979
133. Neil Young – Harvest - 1972
131. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots – 2002
130. The Band - Music From Big Pink – 1968
129. Primal Scream – Screamadelica – 1991
128. Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
126. The Velvet Underground – Loaded – 1970
125. Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis – 1969
124. The Jesus and Mary Chain – Psychocandy

these 17 albums all made my top 200!!!

Moonbeam
Hey guys,

Has it been determined who is doing the song list? I know I'm on board for the artists list after that, but I'm not sure if anyone has claimed the song list. If not, I can do it.

I actually really want to do the song list, but I'll cede to one of the more senior members of the forum if they want to do it.

1 2