Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Expanding Horizons: Classical

I'm getting tired of music with words. Please tell me about your favorite piece of classical music, i.e., something that really blows you away.

(I've already got some favorites, but I'm curious what you all think, and I'm looking for something transcendent here... Any thoughts?)

Re: Expanding Horizons: Classical

For most classical music, you have to also need to think about who is playing the piece as well as the composer. In that regard it is similar to jazz.

A great performer can turn any piece into a work of art, but if you go and buy a classical "greatest hits" grab-bag at a Virgin Megastore, its like the music is entirely different. My dad recently bought an LP box set of Beethoven sonatas by Claudio Arrau that really brings the music to life. Very haunting stuff.

Five great albums:

- Goldberg Variations- Glenn Gould
- Mozart: Requiem- Nicolas Haroncourt
- Brahams: Piano Trios #1 + #2- Eroica Trio
- Debut Recital: Martha Agerich
- The 6 Cello Suites: Pablo Casals

As composers go, I tend to like the Romantic period composers. Beethoven is my fave, but I also recommend Chopin, Mahler and Satie.

Glenn Gould recorded the Goldberg Variations twice. I believe conaisseurs swear by the early (1956) version. I do like it, but I'm certainly no judge of classical.