Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HOA: 1999 voting thread

1999. It's the last HOA election of the 20th century (what, you were expecting some lame Prince reference?).

Submit a ranked list of your ten most deserving artists. You may want to check out the top 100 eligible candidates. For a reminder of who's already been inducted, see the results thread.

For your top FIVE artists (at least), you must explain why they deserve to be in the HOA. You may recycle your comments from past elections if you wish, but I want us to have a context for WHY we're selecting these artists. Ballots without comments for the top five will NOT be counted!

In addition, you have the option to nominate up to three people for the Backstage Wing. This isn't required.

Deadline for ballots is Sunday, June 21, at 6:00 pm US Central time (midnight GMT).

Voting is now open. Two thousand zero zero, party over, out of time (whoops).

Re: HOA: 1999 voting thread

01. MANIC STREET PREACHERS: I know that putting MSP on #1 (and not my #2) I'm not being cool at all. Their sound borders (or should I say enters) on epic bombast but their exultant melodies deserves this kind of overblown approach. Their (political) opinions are probably naive and simplistic but wearing your heart on the sleeve and pushing the emotions to the forefront is something I surely can vindicate.
My favourite album: Everything Must Go (1996).
My Top 5 Songs: The Everlasting (1998), A Design for Life (1996), If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (1998), Motorcycle Emptiness (1992), Life Becoming a Landslide (1993).

02. ELLIOTT SMITH: Elliott is reviving the singer-songwriter delicate sounds of the 70s but with a higher dose of bitterness, anguish and desolation more suitable of the indie 90s.
My favourite album: XO (1998).
My favourite song: Waltz #2 (XO) (1998), Miss Misery (1997), Angeles (1997).

03. LAURYN HILL: with the Fugees career in hiatus after the successful "The Score", Lauryn's debut album had swept away the Clef and Pras solo works because of its brilliant R&B sound (not forgetting her hip-hop background), from now on a touchstone of the style with permission of D'Angelo, Mary J Blige and Erykah Badu.
My favourite album: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1998).
My favourite song: Ex-Factor (1998), Doo Wop (That Thing) (1992), Everything Is Everything (1994).

04. MERCURY REV: the Buffalo band just made a giant step with their last album, taking the narcotic beauty of his songs to the forefront without losing (completely) on this trip their trademark weirdness.
My favourite album: Deserter's Songs (1998).
My favourite song: Goddess on a Hiway (1998), Chasing a Bee (1991), Opus 40 (1998).

05. THE VERVE: brit-pop's not dead. Especially with bands capable of deliver an album like "Urban Hymns", probably the only album able to hold the gaze to "OK Computer" during 1997. Well, "Homogenic" too.
My favourite album: Casanova (1996).
My favourite song: The Drugs Don't Work (1997), Bitter Sweet Symphony (1997), History (1995).

06. BELLE AND SEBASTIAN.
07. BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB.
08. THE KLF.
09. EURYTHMICS.
10. THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS.

And at the backstage:
01. NICK GOLD: the founder of World Circuit Records, home of Ali Farka Touré, Oumou Sangare, Toumani Diabaté or Orchestra Baobab has just made a smash hit with a group of elderly Cubans. Favourite song: BUENAVISTA SOCIAL CLUB Chan Chan (1997).
02. FRANKIE KNUCKELS.
03. ANTON CORBJIN.

Honorio, I voted for Ry Cooder in the last round and he just got voted into HOA:s backstage wing. I love his collaborations with Ali Farka Touré and Buena Vista Social Club, but I don't know much about the background of these recordings and since you have voted for Nick Gold I wonder if you think that he is the more deserving of the two?

Mostly just rearranging the deck chairs this time:

1. NINE INCH NAILS. Moving Trent to the top spot, as he now looks like a better bet than the Mary Chain. Perhaps The Fragile will push him over the top next year?
2. JESUS AND MARY CHAIN. I was pleased that we connected one often-overlooked influential early indie band by inducting Talk Talk. But that makes these guys’ omission more glaring.
3. JEFF BUCKLEY. Leonard Cohen’s savings account is a lot bigger thanks to him.
4. CAN. Just scanning their Wikipedia entry…listed influences include HOAers the Beatles, VU, Hendrix, Sly Stone, Zappa, James Brown, Pink Floyd and Miles Davis (and then there’s Stockhausen). HOAers listed as being influenced by them include Joy Division, Bowie, Talking Heads, Radiohead, and Sonic Youth. Not to mention the deserving (I think) Jesus & Mary Chain and PIL, likely future inductees the Flaming Lips and possible future inductees Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Mars Volta.

Now that’s a pedigree.

5. THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS. They’ll never be ahead of Can on my ballot, but I’ve listened to them a bit more lately, and they’re the cream of their particular crop.
6. THE VERVE
7. WIRE
8. PUBLIC IMAGE LTD. Just seeing if anyone wants to bite. They deserve induction, in my book.
9. LIZ PHAIR. Yeah, after further review, I decided I had her too high.
10. JAYHAWKS

(Just missed: Belle and Sebastian.)

Henrik
since you have voted for Nick Gold I wonder if you think that he is the more deserving of the two?

Well, Nick Gold is one of the few that had a vision and the luck (or the talent) to fulfill it. From his record company World Circuit he has been able to produce and release (to great acclaim and sales) one of the best music from Cuba, Mali and Senegal. He was an avid jazz records collector but listening Ali Farka Touré playing guitar changed his life. He struggled for finding a wider audience for the music he loved, releasing works by Ali Farka Touré, Toumani Diabaté, Orchestra Baobab or Buena Vista Social Club. And he was smart enough to rely on the talent of Ry Cooder that played and co-produced the two biggest hits of the label, “Talking Timbuktu” and “Buena Vista Social Club”. By the way, I just read that the BVSC project was designed as a collaboration with musicians from Mali and Cuba to showcase the “Afro Cuban” style but problems with the visas of the African musicians forced to change plans and improvising an expanded line-up, with the superb final result that everyone knows. You can read more about Gold biography here and here.
About Ry Cooder he deserves for sure to be inducted, but in my opinion it could have been better in the main section and not in the backstage. But I’m guilty too, I only voted for him quite timidly (if I remember well only a couple of times during the 80s). And moreover I was the one who insisted a lot for inducting Brian Eno in the backstage section but now I think that the correct place of outstanding producers but with a notable career as artists as well (as Eno, Ry or the Belleville Three) is the main HOA section.
Anyway the important thing is that Eno and Ry are both HOAers.

Thanks Honorio for that response.

Btw, backstage members are not eligible for the artist HOA as well, right? (You probably had a discussion about this when Eno was inducted.)

1. Eurythmics- They're slowly gathering steam on their way to a well-deserved induction. The pair reunited briefly in 1998 for an award show, and this reunion will lead to another album in 1999. The timing seems right for them to take their rightful place in the hallowed AM halls.

2. Siouxsie and the Banshees- Simply magical.

3. Janet Jackson- Go on, girl.

4. Can- Like Eurythmics, they seem to be slowly accumulating votes. Hopefully, they'll be pushed over the edge soon!

5. Grace Jones- Still vital at 60+ and the very definition of charisma.

6. Donna Summer

7. Aerosmith

8. Joan Jett

9. Kim Wilde

10. Gary Numan

01. Elliott Smith : With XO now released, he has 2 masterpieces and 2 solid albums in his discography, with my 2 favourite songs ever and already about 6 or 7 or my top 200... I have never been able to find the words to explain how much I love his music but it just that I feel like it is the perfect song for me, at the same time comforting, galvanizing and empathic ; however talking about it still feels too much like talking about myself, which I don't like much

02. IAM : They currently are one of the 2 major hip-hop band in France which can stand proudly compared to their american colleagues, their 1997 release "L'école du Micro d'Argent" is a masterpiece, both lyrically and musically. They brought asian and african influences to their music and are able to easily switch from poetry to social engagement or humor. And the last track of that album is a 10 minutes masterpiece no other band has ever been close too. Plus their MCs have released too wonderful solo albums, very deep and sensitive.

03. Red Hot Chili Peppers : BSSM is my "madeleine de Proust" and the summit of a very decent discography

04. Rage Against the Machine : Tom Morello is God (sort of)

05. Foo Fighters : Dave Grohl is the 2nd coolest guy ever and back then, they had not release any weak album yet (not for long)

06. Built to Spill : Perfect from now on is the most incredible discover I have made this year, the five first tracks are, well, perfect, which an intensity I have very rarely heard, goes right to my guts.

07. Supergrass

08. The Chemical Brothers

09. Neutral Milk Hotel

10. Violent Femmes

1. NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL - They only made two albums, but they're both among my favorites. There's so many sides to them, so many good ideas, and they're all done in such a lovely, jangly way.

2. THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - They might be jangly too, but in another way. One of my favorite bands ever.

3. DANIEL JOHNSTON - This week is the jangly week. Daniel Johnston has all the odds against him, yet he's a brilliant songwriter, and a party to listen too.

4. LOVE - Not much to add here, I've had them on my ballot for decades.

5. MANIC STREET PREACHERS - A great band, and the album they made this year (98) was my favorite for a long time back then. Plus, they'll play a show in my birthtown this summer. Not many international pop stars go there.

6. JEFFERSON AIRPLANE
7. RICHARD AND LINDA THOMPSON
8. VIOLENT FEMMES
9. ELLIOTT SMITH
10. THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS

1. Nas - The creator of the greatest rap album of all time.

2. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony and Urban Hyms put them over the top; for this vote at least.

3. Jeff Buckley - Probably should have been on my ballot earlier. He had the potential be one of the all time greats.

4. Tupac Shakur - Ignoring my east coast preferences, Tupac is still one of the best ever.

5. Nuetral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane isn't a favorite of mine like it is of some posters here, but it is none the less, a very good record.

6. Liz Phair
7. Elliot Smith
8. Primal Scream
9. The Eagles
10. Jefferson Airplane

Henrik, I don't think I've ever ruled on whether Backstage inductees can get into the main Hall as well. I don't see any problem with it, although Eno was the closest we've ever come, and once he got in backstage, people mostly stopped voting for him. But be my guest--if you want to vote for Ry, that's fine.

Eno was removed from the eligibles list after his backstage induction, giving the appearance of ineligibility.

True enough...hmm.

My frustration with the eligibles list--which I really should have foreseen--is that most of the acts in the top 100, since about 1975 or so, are not and never will be in the HOA, so many of them are just taking up space.

But I can't just leave them out, because you never know when a previously overlooked artist (Cream, Janis Joplin, Peter Gabriel, Scott Walker) will suddenly get a groundswell of support.

So, whenever I've had a decision to make one way or the other about making the list more dynamic, I've taken it--which is why I removed Eno.

You guys want him back on?

Hmm, sorry schleuse for bringing this issue back. In my opinion it’s not necessary to change anything. I’m quite content to have both Eno and Cooder inducted in the backstage wing.

1. Elliott Smith – Quite simply, one of the most gifted songwriters who ever lived. The deep, sometimes-borderline self-parodic melancholy of his lyrics (“when they clean the street/I’ll be the only shit that’s left behind,” indeed) suggests a worldview that’s belied by the creative joy inherent in his effortlessly, endlessly inventive melodies; his early exit indicates that unfortunately the former won out in his own mind, but the uncommonly rich legacy of Smith’s music will live forever.

2. New York Dolls – They only made two albums, but they’re one of the all-time great bands, and their influence is huge.

3. Ornette Coleman – A true visionary who, unlike far too many of his contemporaries, lasted long enough to become a living legend. Long overdue for induction!

4. Love – As we start to enter the homestretch of this HOA exercise it’s time to try to elevate our favorite overlooked cult heroes into the pantheon, Arthur Lee (R.I.P.) and his ramshackle band of fellow late 60s L.A. weirdos being a prime example.

5. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – T.P.’s been around for over 30 years for a reason, and he deserves recognition – as do guitarist Mike Campbell and keyboard maestro Benmont Tench, who’ve been with him since before the beginning and are two of the greatest collaborators anyone could hope for.

6. Nine Inch Nails
7. Belle and Sebastian
8. Lucinda Williams
9. Wire
10. Can

BACKSTAGE WING
1. Nicky Hopkins
2. Michel Gondry
3. Greil Marcus

1. EAGLES - Now they also top my list. Wrongfully overlooked by the HOA.
2. DEEP PURPLE - In their classic line-up they were not only Guinness' loudest band, they also contained some of the greatest musicians of their time: Blackmore, Gillan, Coverdale, Glover...
3. JEFFERSON AIRPLANE - Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head! Feed your hea-ead!
4. CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG - In all it's combinations, CSNY was the greatest supergroup. With all the colliding characters that should come with it.
5. GRANDMASTER FLASH & THE FURIOUS FIVE - With all that talk what hiphop act should have got in by now, why not the true innovators, the ones that were groundbreaking both in their techniques and their lyrical content?
6. CAN - I agree with schleuse. I'd like to see The Chems inducted, but Can deserves it more.
7. THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS
8. AEROSMITH
9. THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN
10. ROD STEWART - Am I the first one to vote for Rod Stewart? I guess so. While he's #6 on the eligibles list!

Backstage:
1. ANTON CORBIJN
2. THE BELLEVILLE THREE (Atkins / Saunderson / May)
3. GERRY GOFFIN & CAROLE KING (Adding fuel to the fire to the recent debate?)

1. Nas - ok, so none of his subsequent records have equalled illmatic...but neither has anything else
2. Richard & Linda Thompson - between their 2 (or 3) great records, and another handful from richard solo, they should be inducted in some form
3. The Blue Nile - beautiful songs, impeccable production
4. Warren Zevon - wickedly smart & funny
5. Dwight Yoakam - the only great mainstream country star of the past 20-30 years
6. Prefab Sprout
7. Kool Keith
8. Gang Starr
9. Todd Rundgren
10. Ice Cube

backstage

1. Belleville Three
2. Tom Moulton
3. Daniel Lanois

1. Low
Music can't be much (s)lower than on their first albums. And not much better either.

2. Eurythmics
The best male/female pop duo of all time.

3. Ennio Morricone
You can also vote for "Once Upon a Time" in the moderately acclaimed albums poll, y'know...

4. Judas Priest
Every time I listen to them, I realise that their famous material from the 80s isn't as good as I once believed, but their 70s material is awesome!

5. Genesis
Now that Peter Gabriel is in HOA, I'm back voting for Genesis again.

6. ABBA

7. The KLF

8. Nat "King" Cole

9. Gil Scott-Heron

10. Wire

1. Elliott Smith- My favorite artist after the Beatles.

2. Jayhawks- Hopefully, we can get those who were voting before for this great band back into the mix? The best alt-country band ever.

3. Zombies- ???? How are they not in yet? There are a bunch of bands in that only had one or two great albums and it looks like we'll be getting another soon with Neutral Milk Hotel. Why are we overlooking the Zombies?

4. Aerosmith- Love them or hate them, they really did make a significant mark on hard rock whether you're talking about Tyler's singing style and flamboyance or Perry's guitar.

5. Bee Gees- Their early music is as good as baroque pop gets. Lay aside your preconcieved notions and go listen to their first three albums.

6. ABBA- When it comes to singles there aren't many bands that rival the quality of ABBA's hits.

7. Buzzcocks- Looking over the past results, they were very close and then fell off. With modern artists now eligible it might be tough to get them in, but I'll put my vote out there.

8. Todd Rundgren
9. Matthew Sweet
10. Tom Petty

1. Robert WYATT
2. The DIVINE COMEDY
3. EAGLES
4. OUTKAST : just brilliant, exuberant, funny and funky
5. Dick ANNEGARN
6. Alain BASHUNG
7. BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB
8. JAYHAWKS : Elliott Smith doesn't need my help, Olson & Louris do.
9. CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG
10. Alvin "Youngblood" HART

Backstage : Nick GOLD

Sorry this is late, and sorry to recycle all my comments from last time.

1. Yo La Tengo - Ira Kaplan proudly wears his self-consciousness about the respect and love he holds for the wide spectrum of rock and popular music. It permeates their music musically and lyrically (not to mention in their frequent cover versions (see Fakebook)). But Ira and Georgia also touchingly display their love for each other in their music, and somehow it is not cloying, but comfortable and inspiring.

2. Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young) - I realize that this is not a shared sentiment, but give me their rough hewn but beautiful harmonies (also the Band's) before the Beach Boys'.

3. Stereolab - Last year's Dots and Loops solidifies an incredible set of albums and singles. Their "space age bachelor pad music" is unique in the world of popular music at this point. Metronomic and driving, yet somehow whimsical and airy at the same time.

4. Cassandra Wilson - I can't believe I forgot to vote for her up until last year. The greatest jazz singer of the past quarter century. A singular interpreter of blues and both older and poular standards.

5. Elliott Smith - I join in the chorus on this excellent singer/songwriter.

6. They Might Be Giants - Excellent musicians and songwriters who have no need for keeping up with what is most "now" in music.

7. The Grateful Dead - Overrated (by some) as musicians, but very underrated as songwriters.

8. Liz Phair

9. Tricky

10. Weezer

Backstage:

1. Stephen Sondheim - I still struggle to reconcile his sins (many of which can simply be chalked up as: "that's musical theater... you take the good with the bad") with his patent and groundbreaking genius.

2. Chris Lombardi/Gerald Cosloy -- Principals of Matador Records

3. Michel Gondry - The greatest music video director of all time.