Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Look Inside Prince's Vault

As the resident Prince geek here, I thought I'd take the opportunity to shed some light on some of his music that has gone largely unnoticed, but only due to Prince's hesitation in releasing in. One of the most prolific musicians of the 20th century, Prince has absolute mountains of music left unreleased (if you thought my 200+ Prince CDs was a lot, I know people who have 10,000+). Even at the height of his creativity when he would release 4 albums a year though his own name and that of various proteges, there still remained hundreds upon hundreds of tracks that never saw the light of day. This vault became a thing of legend, as missing albums mounted and his reception as a rock and roll great grew.

Thankfully for us Prince fans, at times it has been quite a leaky vault (whether it be residual benefits from disgruntled employees or tidbits let go by Prince himself), and many of these songs have become genuine classics in their own right among Prince fans. When he launched his latest album LotusFlower in March, he performed 3 concerts in one day, playing many rarities and some vault classics never before performed or released. Prince knows that this music is his mammoth 401K, which is perhaps why he has yet to release it in any official form.

These songs have been an emormous part of my musical palette, and I thought I would share a few of them with you. If you have any interest in Prince, your investigation of these songs is likely to pay great dividends. I hope that you take some time to experience this music, because in my heart of hearts, I promise you that it is well worth it. Heck, if there's a good reception to this, I'll happily bring forth more versions of this thread.

These 10 songs are just a smattering of the great musical legacy, and in spite of their diversity, they are merely a glimpse into the riches that are out there. I really hope you enjoy them.

”Moonbeam Levels” (1982)

The track from which my username is derived, “Moonbeam Levels” was left off of 1999 because it was deemed to be too similar to “Free”. Like the other songs of its era, it showcases Prince as a mastermind of synthesizers and a simply great songwriter. Probably the most vulnerable song he had recorded up to that point, it is at once soulful, rocking, tinged with gospel, weird, colorful and passionate. Features some of Prince’s greatest lyrics (like the opening line “Yesterday I tried to write a novel, but I didn’t know where to begin so I lay down in the grass trying to feel the world turn”), Prince’s vocals really soar. It is perhaps the first song Prince recorded with the theme of looking beyond worldly things for solace (see also “Purple Rain”, “Mountains” and “Anna Stesia”), so it is no wonder that the song was reworked in 1988, when universally spiritual themes dominated Prince’s work. Known to early bootleggers as “A Better Place to Die”, it has become a rabid fan favorite, and rightfully so.

”Extra Lovable” (1982)

The quintessential rock/funk of Prince’s music at the time is in full force on this ultra-catchy, controversial track. Prince throws absolutely everything into this song- hooks for days, intricate synth lines, scorching guitar solos, blistering sound effects and lines like “Baby you know my rep is hard, but not as hard as what’s behind Door… Door Number Pants” that only Prince can get away with. The ultimate fantasy trip.

”Chocolate” (1983)

Everything that you could ever want out of a raunchy Prince funk jam from the 80s- it has a bassline to end all basslines, hysterical vocals delivered with his “Jamie Starr” alter-ego, Prince calling out for horns and offering a sultry blast of synths in return, a litany of food items read off in quick succession, very thinly veiled sexual innuendo and panache for days. It was recorded for use by The Time, who later obliged by making it a single in 1990. I’m not too proud to admit that a few ridiculous strip teases performed by yours truly were brought on by the frothy funk of this song. Sublimely ridiculous and ridiculously sublime.

”Electric Intercourse” (1983)

The sparks truly fly from this Purple Rain outtake, recorded live along with several other tracks that made the cut on the album. It is a soulful, dreamy ballad depicting a rather memorable tryst. A good companion to the B-side “Another Lonely Christmas”, it is a piano-led stormer for the ages.

”Neon Telephone” (1985)

The Revolution in full splendor! Recorded during the Parade sessions (a neon telephone is visible in the accompanying film Under the Cherry Moon), “Neon Telephone” is perhaps the most playful song in Prince’s deep catalogue. Layered in Wendy and Lisa’s delicious vocal harmonies, it sounds like a psychedelic, happy whirlwind that turns sharply more sinister toward the end. It was given to protégé band Vermilion, who rearranged the song and released it in 1988. Still, this is by far the most definitive and celebrated version. Pure aural joy.

”Old Friends 4 Sale” (1986)

Prince doesn’t often let down his guard in songs, which is perhaps why this track was left in the vault until being resurrected in a more polished version in 1999. However, it is this stark, eerie, haunted version that gets the most love from fans. Hinting at the breakup of the Revolution, Prince’s swoon-worthy and soulfully vehement vocals depict his resignation about friends who have either done him wrong or lost themselves in a world of drugs. The word “stunning” is appropriate hear, not only for the brilliance of the song, but because the listener (well, this one anyway) is left literally stunned as it finishes.

”Crystal Ball” (1986)

This is kind of cheating, as the song got an official release in the 1998 outtake set named after it. Nevertheless, it is still a quintessential vault track. If I could sum up Prince with one song, this would be it. Prince’s magnum opus, if you will, it features a strange synth flute intro as a heartbeat-like rhythm fills the speakers. As Clare Fisher’s lush orchestral strings chime in, the tension mounts. Sung in Prince’s Camille voice, the song then wanders into stark synth-funk territory while Prince revisits the theme of desiring carnal pleasure in the midst of decaying and turbulent society. A behemoth of a song, it meanders into spiritual territory while covering jazz, rock and even contemporary classical, leaving nothing in its wake. The segment from 7:31-8:11 may be my favorite 40 seconds of music ever. Giant, sprawling, and bursting with inspiration, it sees Prince at the very zenith of his talent.

”Witness 4 the Prosecution” (1986)

This is for fans of Prince’s rockier side. It crunches along with wicked execution and nearly-maniacal vocals. It’s dark, but not too dark to drain the fun, showcasing the dangerous side of love, attraction and obsession.

”Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic” (1988)

All of the evidence that Prince is the greatest live performer in modern history is evident in this song. Having just written it 3 days earlier, Prince takes “Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic” through so many twists and turns, bristling with raw energy only brought on by his guitar The Blue Angel. Over 15 minutes of sobering funk, blistering guitar, unmatched showmanship and simply divine inspiration, Prince has the crowd begging for him to continue as he teasingly stops the music at a few key moments. Recorded at an aftershow for the Lovesexy tour, it is the stuff of legend among Prince fans.

”Love… Thy Will Be Done” (1990)

I felt that the only way to follow “Rave” was to post this gorgeous track. Written for Martika, it is a perfect example of Prince’s most tender, feminine side. Disarming, quiet and sacred, its spiritual overtones would have been perfect for Graffiti Bridge. It erupts into a gospel-like chant toward the end that send it straight into Heaven. Lush and serene.

Re: A Look Inside Prince's Vault

Can't get to Imeem at work so I'll try and check out later. I'm probably nowhere near the level of Prince fan you are, Moonbeam, but I typically at least enjoy his albums and some of them I think are outright great. When someone's been around as long as he has and he can still release songs that "grab" me on first listen, ("Guitar" from PLANET EARTH) that's saying something.

Greg Rumpff
Can't get to Imeem at work so I'll try and check out later. I'm probably nowhere near the level of Prince fan you are, Moonbeam, but I typically at least enjoy his albums and some of them I think are outright great. When someone's been around as long as he has and he can still release songs that "grab" me on first listen, ("Guitar" from PLANET EARTH) that's saying something.

I was hoping you'd chime in! I'm happy to hear that Prince's music can still move you to this day. A lot of people feel that Prince's reign died in 1988, and they miss out on a lot of great music as a result! I hope you enjoy these, and I get the feeling you will.

somewhat belated, but:_thanks, Mr. Runner. either way...

netjade

No problem! I know you enjoyed "Crystal Ball" and the early cuts I posted. I'm eager to hear what you make of "Rave".

Absolutely brilliant, Moonbeam. Many fantastic moments, especially the incredible live version of “Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic” (Prince is an awesome guitar player) and the astonishing “Crystal Ball” (I ever heard it before despite being officially released, from now on in my Top 10 songs of 1998).

Honorio
Absolutely brilliant, Moonbeam. Many fantastic moments, especially the incredible live version of “Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic” (Prince is an awesome guitar player) and the astonishing “Crystal Ball” (I ever heard it before despite being officially released, from now on in my Top 10 songs of 1998).

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Honorio! "Crystal Ball" is indeed unbelievable. So much is packed into that song. There's plenty more where these came from, as well!

Moonbeam
netjade

No problem! I know you enjoyed "Crystal Ball" and the early cuts I posted. I'm eager to hear what you make of "Rave".

well, not exactly that rave/esque like dose Huppy Moondice did by stretchin themselves into magic bespin 88, but its decent quantum of joy fantastic, which I hardly would've expected, did capture mee capital lettered all over the phase... Lovesexy afloat... thus double franchised dankeschöns, Mr. Runner...
those feedings definitely need no readings.. ;)

nj

The Moonbeam Selection

well, let's start with

The Associates: The Affectionate Punch

then...

Re: The Moonbeam Selection

Duly noted! I've got more Prince gems for you, too.

Re: The Moonbeam Selection

to quote Darth Vader accurately: yipppeeee..!