Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone carry AM around with them?

I've started carrying a list of the top 200 albums around with me. it comes in so handy! i use it to check every CD store that i walk past to see if they have any albums that i'm missing, but it's also a great conversation starter hahaha. has anyone else done anything similar?

Re: Anyone carry AM around with them?

I usually carry a list of all the AM Top 3000 albums that I don't have yet. Which, as of Saturday afternoon (when I received the two Element of Crime albums, ordered via Amazon), is now under 100!

I carry a list of my top 100 albums I don't owe.
I guess when that will be done, I will continue with the 90s AM top 100.
My CD collection has only reached 130 albums recently, so the full AM3000 is... well, unthinkable.

harold, have you ever thought that you might be the first person to hear the entire top 3000? you might even be among the most knowledgable people about great music in the world.

Thanks. It's unlikely that I'll ever have the ENTIRE top 3000 - a number of them are just flat-out unavailable, or too prohibitively expensive. (I'm holding out hope that some sucker who doesn't realize how rare that Fingers Inc. CD is will put it up on Amazon or Ebay at a low price and I'll be lucky enough to be there to jump on it; that's happened to me twice already, with the Dream Syndicate's MEDICINE SHOW and - before it was reissued - Nick Lowe's LABOUR OF LUST.) But I've been shocked sometimes by what I've stumbled across, so who knows?

For the past few months I have been trying to listen to all of the top 200 albums. So far I have 51 to go, with the highest ranking albums I've never heard in full being "Lady Soul" at number 106. I have a list of the top 200 posted in my room.

Listen to the AM 3000 (well, those that are available), and the Jazz 200 (linked on AM's home page) and you're pretty much set. That's my goal. Get a hefty external hard drive and get to know the better downloading sites and you can do it by saving a lot of money, which is how I go about it.

I've been through it so many times. It's in my head - I probably know the whole AM top 200. Not in order of course,but the contents of it.

I don't carry anything around with me, but I have a document on my computer called "Look into list". It has the following:

-A list of albums I need to find samples from to find out if I want them

-A list of albums I know I want that are coming out soon, organized by release date

-A list of albums I've decided to get but am waiting to find a good deal on

I have the 50 albums in the top 300 I dont own pritty much committed to memory. It was around 90 at the start of the year so I,m making good progress. Sorry to hear Harold that you havent managed to stumble across a reasonably priced copy of the Fingers Inc album yet.

Most of the ones really near the top I don't have are Jazz or pre-1965.

But I am seeing more of them I haven't heard in the 400s. Maybe I should have started the moderately acclaimed game there.

When I say 'Looking for a better deal' I tend to mean '$12 or lower'. There are a few albums on my list like Chairs Missing, Pinkerton, The Glow Pt 2, etc that I keep seeing at the store for like $15.99 and am waiting to find used or on sale.

I usually find that whenever I go looking for records, they're really expensive. Recently, I've noticed that Amazon is pretty much cheaper for everything (for example, Pinkerton at $10, just to name one).

for some reason, i had never thought of that. i will from now on, though!