The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Favorite song about alcohol?

What is your favorite drinking song?

Mine is probably "One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)" by Frank Sinatra.

I also love "What's Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made A Loser Out Of Me)" by Jerry Lee Lewis.

Re: Favorite song about alcohol?

ok, a not so obvious one, yet it touches the topic slightly...

..even the vid recording did woodruff on wodka..

Lord knows what the song is actually about, but given it's title, and periodic references to winos, beer, and gettin' juiced up beyond belief... I have to go Beck's greatest song: "Beercan"

I like Brandy Alexander by Feist (speaking of Sinatra)
The Drinks We Drank Last Night by Azure Ray and Mexican Wine by Fountains of Wayne

The Pogues - Sally McLennane

oh man. being a big fan of country music...let me try to narrow this down to a reasonable number before i post something...

Chris Rock - Champagne
Chris Rock - No Sex In The Champagne Room

I'm trying to brainstorm, but there are like 50,000 rock songs about drugs and hardly any about alcohol.

Probably Webb Pierce's "There Stands the Glass" is favorite.

A more current one I enjoyed is "Alcohol" by Barenaked Ladies....which is more about using booze as an excuse for being an arse.

"Mexican Wine" is a great song, but actually, an even better Fountains of Wayne song about alcohol is the very next track on WELCOME INTERSTATE MANAGERS, "Bright Future in Sales." What's great about it is that the fact that it IS about alcohol sneaks up on you gradually, as you realize that the reason the narrator hasn't achieved his potential is because he's a hopeless alcoholic.

I realized it received some acclaim the year it came out, but Welcome Interstate Managers is one of my all time favorites and, I think, an underrated gem. I highly recommend it for anyone who doesn't have it.

I've always found 'Too Drunk To Fuck' strangely resonant...

I'd go for "3 AM" by Guadalcanal Diary - not so much a drinking song as a song about being an alcoholic.

Until a few minutes ago, I hadn't heard this song in about 25 years - this thread reminded me, so thankyou and here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmPgLCezAGw

I totally agree with what you said about Welcome Interstate Managers. For once the American critics really got this one right as it scored #3 on the Village Voice year end list. It came out the same time as the Shins Shuts Too Narrow and I guess since Fountains weren't lofi enough it was considered the inferior record of the two and it's been slipping every time the site gets updated. And 2003 or at least the majority of the top 20 for 03 were really not that great. The Darkness? The Rapture? Nobody I know is that crazy about either of these records especially the Darkness. Even Elephant scores really low with a lot of people when looking back at the best of the 00s. Radiohead and Blur had much better records, even Gorillaz released better material than Think Tank. Plus the Strokes follow up was really disappointing and only scored high because of how high their debut scored. Some other bands would release better records later on in their career and therefore their early stuff from 03 was obviously going to rise up the in the ranking. The Postal Service wasn't all that great and it's a real shame that their record ranks higher than anything Deathcab ever put out. Interstate Managers was one of the rare gems to actually come out of 03 and live up to their hype despite their slipping in the rankings. Maybe because they were older than most of the newer bands or people didn't take them serious thanks to Tom Hanks, was why it didn't get the acclaim it deserved despite it being the catchiest record in years. If you're tired of singer songwriters that can't sing or write a decent tune but are always being spoiled by critics because they write about death and darkness this is the perfect screw you record because it's the complete oposite of any of that overrated crap.

Yep. Und noch mehr doofe Düsseldorfer...