Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Has anybody seen The Wrestler ?

I have spare time tomorrow to go to the movies and I'm interested by that movie, not only because of the Springsteen song

Re: Has anybody seen The Wrestler ?

You should go. It's a fantastic movie about an aging pro-wrestler who is forced to quit because of a heart attack, but has problems adapting to the outside world. Mickey Rourke is completely convincing. Just as interesting is the parallel storyline of stripper Marisa Tomei, also getting too old for her profession.

As for the soundtrack, Springsteen is over the closing credits. Expect to hear a lot of hair metal: Cinderella, Quiet Riot... And it works. The score completely fits the character, as his prime years were the late eighties. Take for instance one of the more memorable quotes from the film.

Randy "The Ram" Robinson (Rourke), as he's dancing for Marisa Tomei to Ratt's "Round & Round": "Goddamn they don't make em' like they used to. Guns N' Roses rules! Crüe! Def Lep! Then that Cobain pussy had to come around & ruin it all. I'll tell you somethin', I hate the fuckin' 90's." It says it all.

I saw it yesterday. It was a great movie. However, my eyes was dry throughout the whole movie, which was a bit disappointing. I want to wipe tears during these kinds of films, just as I want to laugh at comedies and shiver with fear from horror movies.

But very, very good nevertheless. You should see it.

I'll see it this week-end I guess.
Nicolas I highly recommend you "morse" ("let the right one in" for our fellow american or english friends), it quite like "what if Gus Van Sant did a movie with a teenage movie" and it is just great to my opinion... not much music however ^^

i can't really recommend the wrestler, but i can't really recommend anything else that's out now either...

I loved it, but I also like professional wrestling.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I heard it was based on the Macho Man and Ric Flair but Hulk Hogan as always is taking all the glory claiming it was based on him. I'd like to see a movie based on Stampede wrestling, the guys who trained in Stu Hart's dungeon like Benoit, the British Bulldogs, Brian Pillman and of course the Harts. Those guys lead some pretty tragic lives. I thought no one would be able to make a prowrestling film without people thinking it was a total joke (ie No Holds Barred in 1989)but someone was finally able pull it off.

How could it be based on Hulk Hogan? Does he do a reality TV show at the end?