Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thanks for the Valentine, Henrik :-)

I've been looking forward to the 2008 songs list. You're the man!

Re: Thanks for the Valentine, Henrik :-)

Thanks Shaun, I'm glad you liked it!

As I am also mentioning on the AM home page, a lot of credit for the songs spreadsheet should go to Chris Murphy who e-mailed me a sheet with 27 EOY critics' lists!!!

Great update Henrik, although I am a little disappointed in the actual list itself. Not a whole lot of really good songs.

Many thanks, Henrik! It might be the only Valentine gift I get today, but it's a great one.

"All My Friends" cracked the top 200 of all-time with an EoY score of 178. Where might "Blind" rank with a score of 271?

I would assume that the scores raise proportionally with the number of sources, a variable which is more controlled in the all time list, so I wouldn't go too much by the raw scores as predictive.

I actually find the list better than expected. I'm a little shocked Fleet Foxes didn't do better, but a ton of my AM P&J nominations are in the top 50. Although there are a few head scratching omissions.

I still don't get why Paper Planes is the most popular song off Kala. I think Jimmy and a few others on Kala are way better. The sound effects are clever, but don't elevate it above the aesthetically better songs.

Awesome indeed! I'm disgusted that Estelle is so high, along with Kings of Leon. And "Mercy" has totally been ignored- probably due to overexposure, although that certainly didn't drop "American Boy" like a stone as it should have...

One small thing- the awesome Grace Jones song is called "Corporate Cannibal".

A lot of my friends love American Boy, and though it may be because of constant exposure, I've begun to enjoy the song myself. The song isn't amazing, but I can say it doing well in a weak year like 2008.

With the (almost definitive) list of songs, the Spanish song of the year is finally Sr. Chinarro’s “Los ángeles”. In this case “los ángeles” is Spanish for “the angels”, it’s not about the city. I didn’t vote for this song on our poll but anyway I like it a lot. You can see/listen to it in the next video (and one of the few nipples you can see on you tube, probably it will be banned soon):

Perhaps the votes for Sexual Eruption and Sensual Seduction should be merged into the same song. It would put the song into the top 100.

sounds like a joy division/interpol song

wait. i can't access either of the files for "best albums" or "best songs".
what do i need to download in order to do so?

Actually, "American Boy" is one of my top 3 favourite songs of 2008, behind M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" and Coldplay's "Viva la Vida."

Speaking of "Paper Planes," will it end up ranking higher than "Blind" on Acclaimed Music's Top 3000 songs when combined with its 2007 end-of-year lists?

Henrik, thanks for posting this list! There are a lot of songs I don't know, but the ones I do know, I absolutely love (Paper Planes, American Boy, Time to Pretend, Viva la Vida, Love Lockdown, Single Ladies, Human, Golden Age, Love in This Club), so I'll have to check the rest out!

Although, I must say, I don't like "Mercy," "Lollipop," or "Swagga Like Us."

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go listen to "Blind."

Wow Daniel, I was just going to start a thread and ask why the critics love "American Boy" while we love "Mercy". Or, well, in general why our poll result looks so different to the critics' list (especially US critics). Since you seem to agree more with the critics, maybe you can answer?

Nick, you need to have Excel installed on your computer, that should be all. If you don't have Excel, you can download Excel Viewer from Microsoft's website.