Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Replacements - Saturday Night Live videos

I know there are some Replacements fans on here so I figured there might be some interest in this. They were the musical guests back in '86 and played "Bastards of Young" and "Kiss Me on the Bus" off of Tim. They didn't clean up their act well enough for the show and became one of the few bands to be banned from SNL.

I remember seeing these a while back before SNL took all their videos off youtube, but after a little casual searching I managed to find them again in semi-decent quality. Here's the address to Bastards of Young, and Kiss Me on the Bus is posted on there by the same user. So if you haven't seen this before I hope you like it.

http://beta.dailymotion.com/user/mmr421/video/x6yi30_what-a-mess_music

Re: The Replacements - Saturday Night Live videos

Kiss Me on the Bus:

http://beta.dailymotion.com/user/mmr421/video/x6yi55_thats-where-were-riding_music

Good stuff. Thanks.

I love this band!

Did Elvis Costello get banned from SNL after he changed his song at the last minute?

It's curious. The Replacements get banned for being a little dirty, and Ashlee Simpson got to come on again.

I miss liking SNL. It needs a completely reshuffled writing staff. (And to stop putting jingles at the start of every sketch that tell you what the joke is!)

What exactly did they do that was so bad?

How long were they banned for? because I saw a clip of them on a later show with Charlton Heston.

Here's the full ban list and reasons why they were banned:

http://www.zimbio.com/Infamous+moments+in+Saturday+Night+Live+history/notes/1/People+banned+from+SNL

Louise Lasser
Charles Grodin
Elvis Costello
Frank Zappa
Milton Berle
Fear
Robert Blake
Andy Kaufman
The Replacements
Steven Seagal
Sinéad O'Connor
Cypress Hill
Martin Lawrence
Chevy Chase
Adrien Brody

I used to really like SNL growing up but I've probably only seen 1 or 2 full episodes in the past 5 or 6 years (they really need new writers). I know for sure I saw the one Will Ferrell hosts with Queens of the Stone Age and he comes out on stage with them to play the cowbell, I thought that was funny.

And they did let Paul Westerberg go back on solo with Heston and played Can't Hardley Wait in the early 90's.

I remember in Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums list from awhile back, Billy Joe Armstrong named Tim his number one album of all time on his list.

I actually don't own Tim, but I've heard Kiss Me... Bastards... and Here comes a regular. Does the rest of the album live up to the standards set by those three? Because those three set the bar pretty high.

hahaha Frank Zappa would get banned.

A lot of these reasons are funny. Some are legitimate and some just come off as immature and micromanagerial.

"Somebody ad-libbed on a LIVE comedy show and was a better actor than the cast! Jerk."

"Somebody realized the awful scripts were awful and said so! Really, why wouldn't somebody want to do the cheerleader sketch for the 60th time with the exact same punchline as the first 59?"

I miss Kids In The Hall.

Yeah Kids In the Hall are great, they still tour together with new material too.

As for Tim, I'd say get it if you like those songs. They could be the best on there, but you could make a case for a couple others being just as good (Left of the Dial, Hold My Life, Little Mascara...). When I first listened to Let It Be it didn't click with me immediately , but Tim did after one or two plays. Maybe it's because there isn't as much filler on Tim (in my opinion). I've also heard one of the reasons people like Let It Be so much is because the heavier songs hit harder when a goofy filler-type song is played right before it, to make it seem a strong song like Unsatisfied was sort of accidental. My favorite Replacements album flip flops between these two on any given day.