Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HOA: 1985 voting thread

Hard to believe, but we've already reached the midpoint of the eighties: the 1985 HOA election.

Choose the ten most deserving artists, based on records released through the end of 1984.

You may want to check out the top 100 eligible candidates. For a reminder of who’s already been inducted, see the results thread.

For your ballot to be eligible, submit a ranked list of your ten most deserving artists.

***IMPORTANT!***
Also, for your top FIVE artists (at least), you must explain why they deserve to be in the HOA. You may recycle your comments from past elections if you wish, but I want us to have a context for WHY we're selecting these artists. Ballots without comments for the top five will NOT be counted!

In addition, you have the option to nominate up to three people for the Backstage Wing. This isn't required.

Deadline for ballots is Sunday, February 15, at 6:00 pm US Central time (midnight GMT).

Voting is now open.

Re: HOA: 1985 voting thread

1. The Smiths - an entirely new sound. tight rhythm section, marr's unpredictable hooks and chord progressions, and the words, voice and swagger of that most funny and most unusual frontman
2. Warren Zevon
3. Jackson Browne
4. The Replacements - sorry ma was great, hootenanny was eh, but let it be is a classic of '80s college rock. not an anthemic as tim, but much more direct, sometimes devastatingly heartfelt, sometimes goofy and playful.
5. John Cale
6. Todd Rundgren
7. George Jones
8. Hall & Oates
9. Cheap Trick
10. Randy Newman

backstage

1. Hoagy Carmichael
2. Eddie Kramer
3. Norman Whitfield

1. X – They need one more enthusiastic voter to win admittance to the hallowed AMHOF.
2. The Replacements – Perfectly imperfect.
3. Patsy Cline – Stay strong sister.
4. The Supremes – Motown’s biggest singles act. So many hits.
5. The Smiths – For Johnny Marr.
6. The Minutemen – Double Nickels On The Dime is a tour de force.
7. XTC
8. Run-DMC
9. Husker Du
10. Love

Backstage
1. Leon Russell
2. Clarence White
3. James Burton

Greg,

I am impressed at your tenacity with the George Jones vote. I think he deserves to be admitted, but felt like it was a wasted vote. Now the guilt is getting to me, so I think he'll be back on my list next week.

1. LOVE - They're getting pushed from behind right now by The Smiths, but manage to keep the top spot. How long can they last?

2. THE SMITHS - This is what the 80s should have been like all the time. Sounds like nothing else.

3. JEFFERSON AIRPLANE - I might have to drop them soon. Doesn't get a lot of love here, but Surrealistic Pillow still finds its way into my cd player, as it has done the last 15 years.

4. ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN - More of what the 80s should have sounded like. It was, until today, a band I hadn't listened to in some years, but now I can't understand why. Brilliance.

5. VIOLENT FEMMES - Recorded the best album of the 1980s. I picked up that album many years ago without knowing what it was. It was cheap and looked interesting, and indeed it was.

6. NEW ORDER
7. GANG OF FOUR
8. MOTÖRHEAD
9. BUZZCOCKS
10. DEEP PURPLE

Paul,

I hope you are equally impressed with me voting for Jefferson Airplane. And hopefully it'll make you just as guilt-ridden :)

"We Built This City" does not count until next year...

Don't give up on Airplane, Rune. They're getting some love from me this year, and usually I'm very faithful to my artists. But still, a new entry on number 1:

1. The Smiths - Not afraid for a little controversy and completely at place in the independent scene. Marr & Morissey are responsible for thé most beautiful songs of the decade.
2. Cream - Powertrio that influenced so many acts that are already inducted. If we want to honor Clapton, it should be with them.
3. Janis Joplin - She took a piece of my heart. And that was good enough for me.
4. Eagles - They didn't always get along, but when they did, the band ran like a well-oiled machine, producing some pretty beautiful classic rocksongs.
5. Deep Purple - Led Zep is in, so is Sabbath. Time for the third, the once loudest band in the world, the band that gave us Glover, Blackmore, and Gillan.
6. Chic
7. The Supremes
8. Jefferson Airplane
9. Madonna
10. Van Halen

Backstage:
1. Irving Berlin
2. Norman Whitfield & Barrett Strong
3. John Peel

1. X. I’ll continue to do my bit, Paul. With you-know-who being inducted last year, I have no reason not to keep X in my top slot indefinitely if need be.
2. THE SPECIALS. This year’s “Free Nelson Mandela” is a nifty song, even if it sounds a bit like ersatz Specials to me. They’ll rise no higher on the eligibles list.
3. PATSY CLINE. One down, one to go.
4. THE REPLACEMENTS. Greg summed them up well. I particularly appreciate the “goofy and playful” bit.
5. T. REX. Speaking of goofy and playful…
6. VAN HALEN. In honesty, I’ve been neglecting them in my frenzy of voting for punk and post-punk. VH epitomizes hard rock, and they’re far ahead of most everyone else in their genre; their outstanding musicianship doesn’t begin and end with Edward. They get overlooked: a) because they were ridiculously successful, b) because they seemed to be having waaay too much fun, and c) because of Mr. D.L. Roth, a snake-oil salesman if ever there was one. But hey, it’s rock ‘n’ roll, and if they deserve to get in, it should be with Diamond Dave, not Sammy Hagar or that wuss from Extreme.
7. BUZZCOCKS
8. RUN-D.M.C.
9. THE SMITHS. I love them somewhat less than many here; in my opinion, they will deserve enshrinement for The Queen Is Dead, but not before. But I suspect that’ll be a moot point…
10. HÜSKER DÜ

Backstage:
IAN AND MILES COPELAND. Sure, Honorio, I’ll let Miles share a slot with his brother. First, because it would be neat to have all three brothers in the Hall, and second, because he was a school buddy of Bill Berry and Mike Mills, and when those two guys joined a band in college, it was Miles who brought them to Ian’s attention.

By the way, I also like the Airplane—voted for them for a few years in the late 60s, in fact—but my enjoyment of them begins and ends with Surrealistic Pillow…and not even all of that. Sorry, Rune.

As for George Jones, I’m pretty happy with the emphasis I’ve put on country—which is related but not central to the main genres of music I want to highlight…I also love Fats Waller, but I’m not voting for him either, and for a similar reason. Sorry, Greg.

01. THE SMITHS: without being really revolutionary (they manufacture pop in the British tradition with an extra-dose of jangle guitar) they are changing the face of the pop of today. The filigree work on guitars by Johnny Marr is partially responsible, but mainly you can blame to Morrissey, to his mannered yet provocative way of singing and acting on stage and to his sharp yet sensitive lyrics.
My favourite album: The Smiths (1984).
My Top 5 Songs: Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now (1984), This Charming Man (1983), Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want (1984), How Soon Is Now (1984), William It Was Really Nothing (1984).

02. ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN: Door-influenced psychedelia and Joy Division-influenced post-punk are the two main foundations for the sound of Echo & The Bunnymen, dark but brilliant, thunderous but majestic.
My favourite album: Ocean Rain (1984).
My Top 3 Songs: The Killing Moon (1984), The Cutter (1983), All My Colours (1981).

03. JOE JACKSON: fascinating evolution, from the sharp new wave hero (although slightly overshadowed by Elvis Costello) to the sophisticated crooner of today, fishing in the fertile waters of jazz, latin, funk and… pop.
My favourite album: Body and Soul (1984).
My Top 3 Songs: Stepping Out (1982), Is She Really Going Out With Him? (1979), You Can’t Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want) (1984).

04. RUBÉN BLADES: the best salsa artist so far is the Panamanian singer-songwriter Rubén Blades, capable to appeal simultaneously to the feet with those ultra-danceable rhythms and to the brain with those socially conscious lyrics.
My favourite album: Siembra (197 .
My Top 3 Songs: Pedro Navaja (197 , El padre Antonio y su monaguillo Andrés (1984), Desapariciones (1984).

05. THE CRAMPS: psychobilly was a dirty subgenre created from rubbish as obscure rockabilly, garage rock, filthy sex and terror B-movies, a fascinating universe in which Lux Interior and Posion Ivy were the undisputed king and queen.
My favourite album: Psychedelic Jungle (1981).
My Top 3 Songs: Goo Goo Muck (1981), Garbage Man (1980), Human Fly (1979).

06. EURYTHMICS.
07. NEW ORDER.
08. THE SPECIALS.
09. DEPECHE MODE.
10. THE STYLE COUNCIL.

And at the backstage:
01. MILES & IAN COPELAND.
02. GEOFF TRAVIS.
03. STEVE LILLYWHITE.

Pedro the Knife

I will seize the opportunity of my vote for Rubén Blades on HOA to recommend to all of you my all time favourite song in Spanish language, “Pedro Navaja”. I endorse my comment for the all-time poll, the original lyrics and my English translation. Please listen to it (forget the silly you tube clip). Trust me, there’s not only Africa in the world… music.

PEDRO NAVAJA
Composer: Rubén Blades
Performer: WILLIE COLÓN & RUBÉN BLADES
First release: 1978

My comment: “Life’s full of surprises”. Few artists can combine so easily as Rubén Blades the dance rhythms with deep lyrics tinged with social concerns. In his first record, “Siembra” (“Harvest” , he made a gorgeous reworking of Bertolt Brecht & Kurt Weill’s “Mack the Knife” in which one not only can hear the sounds, but even feel the flavours, the smells, the lights and the shadows of the mean streets.

Original Spanish Lyrics:

Por la esquina del viejo barrio lo vi pasar
con el tumbao que tienen los guapos al caminar.
Las manos siempre en los bolsillo de su gabán
pa' que no sepan en cual de ellas lleva el puñal.

Usa un sombrero de ala ancha de medio lao
y zapatillas por si hay problema salir volao.
Lentes oscuros pa' que no sepan que está mirando
y un diente de oro que cuando ríe se ve brillando.

Como a tres cuadras de aquella esquina una mujer
va recorriendo la acera entera por quinta vez.
Y en un zaguán entra y se da un trago para olvidar
que el día está flojo y que no hay clientes pa' trabajar.

Un carro pasa muy despacito por la avenida
no tiene marcas pero tos' saben que es policía.
Pedro Navaja las manos siempre dentro 'el gabán
mira y sonríe y el diente de oro vuelve a brillar.

Mientras camina pasa la vista de esquina a esquina
No se ve un alma, está desierta toa la avenida.
Cuando de pronto esa mujer sale del zaguán
Y Pedro Navaja aprieta un puño dentro 'el gabán.

Mira pa' un lado, mira pal' otro y no ve a nadie
y a la carrera pero sin ruido cruza la calle.
Y mientras tanto en la otra acera va esa mujer
refunfuñando pues no hizo pesos con que comer.

Mientras camina del viejo abrigo saca un revolver esa mujer
y va a guardarlo en su cartera pa' que no estorbe.
Un treinta y ocho Smith and Wesson del especial
que carga encima pa' que la libre de todo mal.

Y Pedro Navaja puñal en mano le fue pa' encima.
El diente de oro iba alumbrando toa la avenida (¡guiso fácil!).
Mientras reía el puñal le hundía sin compasión,
cuando de pronto sonó un disparo como un cañón.

Y Pedro Navaja cayó en la acera mientras veía a esa mujer
que revolver en mano y de muerte herida a él le decía:
“Lo que pensaba, hoy no es mi día, estoy salá.
Pero Pedro Navaja, tú estás peor, tú estás en na'”

Y créanme gente que aunque hubo ruido nadie salió.
No hubo curiosos, no hubo preguntas, nadie lloró.
Solo un borracho con los dos muertos se tropezó.
Cogió el revolver, el puñal, los pesos y se marchó.

Y tropezando se fue cantando desafinao,
el coro que aquí les traje y da el mensaje de mi canción:
La vida te da sorpresas, sorpresas te da la vida ay Dios.

(La vida te da sorpresas, sorpresas te da la vida ay Dios)
Pedro Navaja, matón de esquina, quien a hierro mata a hierro termina.
Maleante pescador, mal anzuelo que tiraste,
en vez de una sardina un tiburón enganchaste.

(La, la, la, la, la, la, la, laa
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, laa
I like to live in America)
Ocho millones de historias tiene la ciudad de Nueva York.
Como decía mi abuelita: el que de último ríe, se ríe mejor.

Cuando lo manda el destino no lo cambia ni el más bravo,
si naciste pa' martillo del cielo te caen los clavos.
Barrio de guapos cuidao en la acera
Cuidao camara' que el que no corre vuela.
Como en una novela de Kafka el borracho dobló por el callejón.
(La vida te da...)

(Voz de la radio): En la ciudad de Nueva York dos personas fueron encontradas muertas. Esta madrugada los cuerpos sin vida de Pedro Barrios y Josefina Wilson fueron hallados ...

PEDRO THE KNIFE (my English translation):

I saw him walking by the corner of the old hood
With the swing of the handsome men.
His hands always inside the pockets of his overcoat
So no one knows in which of them carries the knife.

He uses a half sided wide wing hat
And slippers for running away if there’s some troubles.
Dark glasses so no one knows what’s looking at
And a golden tooth that shines when he laughs.

Three blocks of that corner a woman
Goes travelling the entire sidewalk by fifth time.
She walks into a hallway and have a drink to forget
That it’s a limp day and there’s no customers for working.

A car passes very slowly by the avenue
Doesn’t have any mark but everyone knows that’s the police.
Pedro the Knife, the hands always inside the coat,
Looks and smiles and the golden tooth shines again.

While he walks he looks from one corner to the other
Not a soul is seen, the whole avenue is deserted.
When suddenly that woman leaves the hallway
And Pedro the Knife squeezes his fist inside the coat.

He sights from side to side and he doesn’t see anyone
And on the run but without a sound he crosses the street.
Meanwhile that woman walks on the other sidewalk
Grumbling cause she couldn’t get money enough to eat.

While she walks, that women takes a revolver from her old coat
To keep it in her handbag for not to bother.
A Thirty-Eight Smith and Wesson Special
That carries to protect her of all the evil.

And Pedro the Knife, dagger in hand, jumped on her.
The golden tooth lighted the whole avenue (easy cook!).
And while he laughed, he stuck the knife without pity
When suddenly a shot sounded as loud as a cannonball.

And Pedro the Knife fell on the sidewalk seeing that woman
That, revolver in hand and injured to death, told to him:
“Just what I was thinking, today is not my day, I’m over.
But Pedro the Knife, you are worse, you’ve become nothing”.

And, believe me people, although there was noise nobody showed up.
There were no curious, there were no questions, nobody cried.
Only a drunkard bumped with the two dead people.
He took the revolver, the knife, the money and he moved out.

And stumbling he went singing out of tune
The chorus I bring to you that takes the message of my song:
“Life is full of surprises, of surprises life is full, oh Lord”.

(Life is full of surprises, of surprises life is full, oh Lord)
Pedro the Knife, street-corner gangster, he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.
Criminal fisherman, you threw a badly hook,
Instead a sardine you hooked a shark.

Eight millions tales has the city of New York.
Like my grandmother said: He who laughs last, laughs best.

When fate rules even the bravest one can’t change it,
If you’re born as a hammer heaven sends you the nails.
Tough guy’s neighborhood, be careful on the streets,
Be careful my friend, he who hesitates gets lost.
As in a novel by Kafka, the drunk goes out by the alley
(Life is full...)

(Voice from the radio): In New York City two people were found dead. At dawn the lifeless bodies of Pedro Barrios and Josefina Wilson were found...

Just hauling this back up top...

Klauw:

3. John Peel

I haven't voted in this,but I've kept an eye on it and I'm actually astounded that this is the first vote I can recall seeing for the late,legendary John Peel

1. Randy Newman – A master melodist who fully inherited his Hollywood-royalty family’s compositional gifts, and has spent his entire non-soundtrack career putting those gifts at the service of an astonishingly biting and ironic sensibility. No singer-songwriter has ever inhabited a wider variety of delusional, pitiable, or downright despicable characters, with so little regard for how he might be viewed by the confused among us who can’t separate the singer from the song.

2. The Smiths – Morrissey has crafted one of the most distinctive and original personas in rock, and it was fully developed from the very beginning: simultaneously deeply ironic yet just as deeply romantic, both hilarious and heartbreaking. And, despite a first-rate and ongoing solo career, he will never have better musical partners than the effortlessly brilliant Johnny Marr plus “the bass” and “the drums.”

3. New York Dolls – They only made two albums, but they’re one of the all-time great bands, and their influence is incalculable. David Johansen and Johnny Thunders came off like Mick & Keith if they’d never taken off the drag from the “Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby” video and started gobbling amphetamines 24/7. The Dolls were unabashedly hip, but there wasn’t a cynical bone in their bodies: they may have needed both a fix and a kiss, but you always sensed that the kiss was more important (even if that sadly wasn't true for some of them in real life).

4. Ornette Coleman - He really was The Shape of Jazz to Come when he emerged in the late fifties; by now he’s become a genuine elder statesman.

5. Husker Du – For a few years, starting in ’84, they were very likely the best band in America and maybe the world, melding hardcore with hooks in startling and frequently transcendent ways.

6. The Replacements
7. Wire
8. Can
9. Love
10. Sonny Rollins

BACKSTAGE WING
1. Nicky Hopkins
2. Rudy Van Gelder
3. John Peel

Not feeling much of anybody this week, except of course Chic. I'll be honest it was too soon for R.E.M. and U2 last week, and it's too soon for The Smiths this week. The 90's can't come soon enough.

Was tempted by Madonna, until I remembered how bad "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl" actually are. We'll see after she releases True Blue.

1. Chic - Where did all the Chic voters from the past number of weeks go?!?!?

2. Dinah Washington - Making a command return because the field is poor.

3. Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)

4. Patsy Cline -

5. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

6. The Staple Singers

7. The Grateful Dead

8. Paul Simon

9. The Supremes

10. The Jackson 5 - My 1970 review made me realize they deserve a vote.

Backstage:

1. Irving Berlin
2. Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, J.J. Jackson and Martha Quinn
3. Norman Granz

Shit, I forgot to vote ? Maybe then it's not too late

1. TELEPHONE : the best French rock group of the era, and my remaining favorite in 1984

2. The EAGLES

3. RENAUD : excellent french singer-songwriter.

4. Philip GLASS : the pop contemporary composer

5. The SPECIALS : no Jamaican ska act was inducted, so let’s induct those great British musicians (far beyond ska)

6. GRANDMASTER FLASH : Definitive hip hop pionneer

7. IRON MAIDEN

8. Randy NEWMAN

9. Joe JACKSON

10. the BEE GEES

Sorry these are late! Exactly the same list as last year, I'm afraid.

1. Eurythmics- 1984: For the Love of Big Brother provides a wonderful capstone to an insanely innovative and wondrous period they had from 81-84. As the musical zeitgeist changed, so did they, and Be Yourself Tonight would usher in a new era.

2. Grace Jones

3. Siouxsie and the Banshees

4. Madonna

5. Chic

6. Donna Summer

7. Can

8. T-Rex

9. Joan Jett

10. Kim Wilde

1 - Violent Femmes : their self-titled album is one of my favourite albums of the decade and for sure my favourite of its first half, I like how messy, angry and melodic it his. Why can't I get just one kiss...
2 - New Order : 2 Words : Blue. Monday.
3 - Chic : it is always hard to be a great band in a mostly worthless musical genre, and they succeeded in it
4 - T. Rex : I'm surprised they have not been inducted sooner. I am not their biggest fan but Electric Warrior is a major album and they deserve their spot !
5 - Grandmaster Flash : a true pioneer, The adventures of Grandmaster in the wheels of steel define what hip-hop will be
6 - Telephone : the ultimate French party anthem band... Any French people between 10 and 50 has already sung Cendrillon, ça (c'est vraiment toi) or New-York avec Toi
7 - The Human League : one of the two bands who made an album with "you know that annoying sound of the 80s with synth, girly back-up vocals and percussions made of... euh is it bongos ?" I like (the other one being The The)

1. THE MOODY BLUES - Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this band probably made a blip in the late 60s on the eligibles list before disappearing, which is too bad, because they're probably the last band from that musical era that isn't inducted. A lot of bands from the Beatles onward got props for incorporating orchestras and strings, but for me nothing quite captured the sweeping majesty of classical music and cavernous sounds of orchestras in pop music like the Moody Blues. The release of their last halfway decent album in 1981, Long Distance Voyager, is a good a time as any to put them at the personal top and see how long they last.

2. BUZZCOCKS - Singles Going Steady presents such a wide spectrum of interesting punk sounds. Autonomy and Ever Fallen in Love? are the standouts but band combined artistry and attitude.

3. THE CRYSTALS - Fitting to give this group props after I finished listening to the non-Christmas Back to Mono set. Beautiful infectious pop melodies. Who cares if I get them confused with the Ronettes.

4. RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS - There's something real dark to the elements of the Wall of Sound, which make the booming choruses and orchestrations so timeless. You hear You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling and while you are uplifted with romantic sentiments you also have a sense that something in lingering around the corner to remove you from your fantasy. Maybe it's growing up on Lynchian film images that borrow from sixties sentimentality and the sounds that go with it, but this is powerful dramatic music.

5. NEW ORDER - One of the best albums of the rather weak musical mid-eighties (Power, Corruption, and Lies), my favorite song of the 80s (Blue Monday) combined with the variety of early output that has made to my ears bumps them into the top 5. While the electronic soundscapes were innovative and influential, I think it's the remnant of Joy Division angst and melancholy that makes their music so timeless.

6. THE SUPREMES - Motown's finest sounds so smooth and polished despite the recording technology that existed back then.

7. GRANDMASTER FLASH AND THE FURIOUS FIVE

8. TODD RUNDGREN

9. LOVE

10. JETHRO TULL