Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM Pazz & Jop Songs of 2008 - Round 2

This is Round 2 of the AM Pazz & Jop Songs of 2008 poll.

This round starts NOW and will finish on Sunday February 15th, at midnight GMT (so at the British or Portuguese turn to Monday, the 16th of February).

And here are the rules:

1) In this round, only the 45 qualified songs from round 1 are eligible to vote for. The list of 45 songs will be posted again shortly hereafter.
2) From these 45 songs, list your 10 favourite songs in order.
3) Give each song a score of anywhere between 5 and 30 points.
4) The total points given out for your 10 songs can not exceed 100.
5) To be eligible, you must submit at least 5 songs on your list.
6) For every song you are under 10, you must subtract 5 points from the total 100 you are allowed to give out. For example, if you list 7 songs, then you are only allowed to give out a total of 85 points to these songs.
7) The ballots will be due by Feb. 15, with results to follow shortly thereafter.
E-mail your list to amforumpoll@googlemail.com. I will reply with a confirmation and let you know if your list is OK.
9) Please just list your songs in the body of the e-mail. No Word or Excel attachments, please. Thanks.
10) In the e-mail, please mention the username that we know you by in the AM forum.

Remark: Everybody can join this round! Even if you did not vote in the first round, you are most welcome to join and vote now.

Results of this round will be presented in a separate thread. For sure in February, and if I'm not skiing that day, I will post results on February 16th.

Have fun listening (again) and voting!

Re: AM Pazz & Jop Songs of 2008 - Round 2

And here are the 45 songs you can vote for in this round (in alphabetical order):

Amadou & Mariam - Sabali
Beck - Chemtrails
Black Kids - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance with You
Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer
Bon Iver - Re: Stacks [2007]
Coldplay - Viva La Vida
Deerhunter - Nothing Ever Happened
Drive-By Truckers - Perfect Timing
Duffy - Mercy
Fleet Foxes - Blue Ridge Mountains
Fleet Foxes - He Doesn't Know Why
Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
Fleet Foxes - Ragged Wood
Fleet Foxes - Tiger Mountain Peasant Song
Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
Fleet Foxes - Your Protector
Goldfrapp - Clowns
Hercules And Love Affair - Blind [feat. Antony]
The Hold Steady - Sequestered in Memphis
Femi Kuti - You Better Ask Yourself
M83 - Kim & Jessie
MGMT - Electric Feel
MGMT - Kids [2005]
MGMT - Time To Pretend [2005]
Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Midnight Man
Portishead - Machine Gun
Portishead - The Rip
R.E.M. - Supernatural Superserious
Santogold - L.E.S. Artistes
Santogold - Lights Out
Spiritualized - Soul On Fire
T.I. - Live Your Life [feat. Rihanna]
The Tallest Man On Earth - The Gardener
Rokia Traoré - Dounia
TV On The Radio - Dancing Choose
TV On The Radio - DLZ
TV On The Radio - Golden Age
TV On The Radio - Halfway Home
Vampire Weekend - A-Punk [2007]
Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa [2007]
Vampire Weekend - M79 [2007]
Vampire Weekend - Oxford Comma [2007]
Lil Wayne - Mr. Carter [feat. Jay-Z]
The Week That Was - Scratch The Surface

Not all, and not even with entire play length, but most of the 45 songs are in this Deezer playlist:

Discover Amadou & Mariam!

For spotify users i have created a play list for round 2 with the artists available. Unfortunatly the list is missing Blitzen trapper, Drive-By truckers, Femi Kuti, Santogold and The tallest man on earth.

http://open.spotify.com/user/kolmskog/playlist/08ue2ssX1V1lUngxEg4UrZ

Michael and Honorio are the first two submitters. That means, we have a new #1 !!!

This is crazy, I really just need to hear Dear Science, I'm sure I'll like it.

I honestly want to give every song a chance, but for me there are already 10 songs that have at least hung out in my hears for a while and have given me joy, even if I didn't vote for all of them in Round 1. There might not be any room for newcomers.

Take your time, Jonah, there are more than 12 days left.

sonofsamiam, VanillaFire1000 and myself have added their top 10, which makes 5 voters in total so far.

Only 13 songs left without points.

hey, I really like that Goldfrapp song

The whole album's good.

So I'll have to listen to it again
At first listen I didn't think too much of it

Short update.

10 people have submitted their top 10 with scores: Honorio, sonofsamiam, VanillaFire1000, Michael, Andre, Mitchell Stirling, Fred, Rocky Raccoon, Michel and netjade.

And, compared with the last update, we have a new #1.

10.666666 days to go.

Whoops, never mind, nicolas. I got my golds mixed up, I was talking about Santogold. But the Goldfrapp song is good, it ended up being my unlucky No. 11.

Man, I'm just now going down the list? The Blitzen Trapper and Drive By Truckers albums that got nominated aren't even in my top 5 on their album.

My list is looking like it's going to be a lot of two or three acts so far.

I've limited myself to 2 Fleet Foxes tracks (or else there would have been like 6 of them in my top 10)
and one track per artist after that

How much will Fleet Foxes have to pay for the reluctance of placing more then 2 songs from the same artist in the top 10? I think they may suffer really bad. 7 nominations evenly spread in round one will most likely also spread even in round 2. Also VV and MGMT are very much running the risk of a similar faith, since these artists was way ahead in number of nominations. TV on the Radio on the other hand got a lot of songs in but non with very many nominations so the vote splitting for these other artists might acctually help them. The big winners on this is of cause Duffy, Hercules and love affair and portishead. But now that i have been going through all the nomenees a couple of times, I think there is quite a chanse for a big upset in the second round. I think most of us is rather reluctant to add another Fleet foxes song to the top 10 if it was already left out in round 1. It is far more likely that one the less nominated songs will find a way on to the top 10, simply because you in round 1 overlooked it.

ako, can not reveal too much, but your analysis seems quite correct.

And to your phrase I think there is quite a chanse for a big upset in the second round I can only state:

1) A good/bad result in the first round is no garantee at all for a good/bad result in this round.

2) So far, I've received scores from 12 people and it is a very exciting battle with no clear winner yet!!!

I don't think it will make me change my mind
FF already won the album poll.
The fact that FF votes are widespread means that it is a good album with no leading song.

Or 7 leading songs? My point is simply that our votes may be influenced by the number of nominated song a band has. You may argue that you would prefer a vote based on compering song for song. This is of cause a very idealistic view and in the end it will not be the case. However it is something to keep in mind. I have the same problem with adding songs from artists with multiple songs nominated. They have a higher threshold then the rest and i can not get around this.
On the other hand the poll becomes less predictable this way.

If I thought seven Fleet Foxes songs were in the top ten that made the second round, I would have put seven Fleet Foxes songs in. Instead I think two are, so I put two.

I think the vote splitting might hurt a few of their songs, but I really don't see it hurting the ones that got a zillion noms in the first round.

I have to ask though. Of all the songs on Brighter Than Creation's Dark, why Perfect Time? Why not Purgatory Line, Righteous Path, I'm Sorry Houston, That Man I Shot, Self Destructive Zones, or 3 Dimes Down? Perfect Timing is such a middling DBT song.

Oh, incidentally. If 3 Dimes Down got two noms, I think it needs to be added to the qualification list, because I voted for 'Straight Shot', which is actually titled '3 Dimes Down'.

Oh, nevermind about that. Looks like 3 Dimes Down ended up missing my final cut.

Short update again.

15 people have submitted their top 10 with scores: Honorio, sonofsamiam, VanillaFire1000, Michael, Andre, Mitchell Stirling, Fred, Rocky Raccoon, Michel, netjade, Stephan, BillAdama, nicolas, Henrik and VGRD.

Still 2 songs without any points. A bit less than 7 days to go.

With a bit more than 3 days to go, we have 22 people that submitted their top 10. The 7 latest additions came from John, Klauw, pop elton, ako, Miguel, Jonah and Harold Wexler.

In the meantime, 3 more forum members joined the voting: Penguin, Nassim and Alex D.

All 45 songs have received points, and 5 already have collected 100 or more ...

The last 24 hours are ticking, so those who did not submit yet, make sure to vote in time!

Okay, this is it!

The two weeks are over and the results of round 2 have been calculated ...

In total 30 people have participated in this poll, of which 28 in this second round:

Honorio, sonofsamiam, VanillaFire1000, Michael, Andre, Mitchell Stirling, Fred, Rocky Raccoon, Michel, netjade, Stephan, BillAdama, nicolas, Henrik, VGRD, John, Klauw, pop elton, ako, Miguel, Jonah, Harold Wexler, Penguin, Nassim, Alex D, Greg Maurer, Moonbeam and Toni.

AJackson and Greg Rumpff voted in round 1, not in this round.

Many thanks to all 30 forum members for making this happen!

Now it's time for the results ...