Sailing the darkened seas on a great big clipper ship:

6. The Velvet Underground (64)

Better off than dead:

The Rolling Stones (61)
Radiohead (57)
David Bowie (54)
Bob Dylan (51)
The Beatles (43)

Only five artists left, which means we’ve finally reached the point where, this week, everybody votes for everybody! The field is now the size of one measly ballot…

…and now, Week 32.

Re: AM Survivor: Week 32

5 pts. Bob Dylan
4 pts. The Rolling Stones
3 pts. Radiohead
2 pts. David Bowie
1 pt. The Beatles - because they accomplished more than any other artist

Reed leaving before Yorke.. and maybe Jagger too.. what is this world coming to?

1) Radiohead
2) The Beatles
3) David Bowie
4) The Rolling Stones
5) Bob Dylan - He is a hack, quite simply, so he has to go.

Never mind about Reed - what about marking the departure of the last woman from the island (no not Nico, I'm talking about Mo Tucker, the coolest person on this planet)

And there goes the band I wanted to win - now I don't care who wins as long as they beat Bob Dylan

1. Bob Dylan
2. Radiohead
3. The Rolling Stones
4. David Bowie
5. The Beatles

"The Beatles - because they accomplished more than any other artist"

Arguably - just too bad they weren't as cool as the other artists left...

1. Radiohead : such a generation thing.. with its exceptions, of course. For me they are too gloomy even if they made beautiful songs
2. The Rolling Stones
3. David Bowie : The difference between Bowie and the Stones is thin as a hair. Maybe Bowie is more eclectic, and fascinating because of his many facets (folk, rock, art, new wave, funk, etc..)
4. Bob Dylan : a master in one of my favorite fields (folk and country rock)
5. The Beatles : too gifted, and in contrast with Radiohead, funny.

Wow, aside from The Rolling it has become difficult to chose between these guys, I love them all.
Anyway:

5 pts – Rolling Stones
4 pts – The Beatles
3 pts – David Bowie
2 pts – Radiohead: Because they are the only ones that haven’t been on drugs ? (as far as I know ).
1 pts – Bob Dylan: Because he is the only American left ?.
And to me, is the only one who has released 3 really great albums in 2 years – (Bringing, Highway, Blonde on Blonde), and continue releasing acclaimed albums 60 years after.

1. (5p) Radiohead - What the hell are they doing here still?

2. (4p) David Bowie - He's the least excellent of these excellent musicians.

3. (3p) Bob Dylan - Nobel literature prize nominee. None of the others here are.

4. (2p) The Rolling Stones - Dirtiest band on the island.

5. (1p) The Beatles - I wanted Velvet Underground to win, at least after Pet Shop Boys left, but now I have to stick with the Fab Four. Go Harri Georgeson, Cart McPaulney, Lenn Johnon and Stingo Rarr!

5 points - Bob Dylan : to me by far the less versatile artist here
4 points - Rolling Stones
3 points - The Beatles
2 points - Bowie
1 point - Radiohead, and I don't care if it is a generation thing !

5p Rolling stones
4p David Bowie
3p The Beatles
2p Bob Dylan
1p Radiohead

Long Live Radiohead

I wanted Velvet Underground to win, at least after Pet Shop Boys left

Only in AMForica...

(ps. no sarcasm intended!!)

I wrote: "and continue releasing acclaimed albums 60 years after"

Wow, i was trying to say 40 years later....or in his 60's, whichever you choose .

1. David Bowie - I still can't get through any of his albums in one sitting. His material is amazingly dense. I respect that, but it isn't for me.
2. Bob Dylan - As already mentioned, the least versatile artist left on the list. Yes, he's probably the greatest lyricist on this island, but in my opinion, he could have at least tried some experimentations. In the end, his stuff is not my cup of tea.
3. The Rolling Stones - I'm out of comments for these guys. I'll just give a brief summary then - the negative: career was far too long; the positive: the '60s work.
4. Radiohead - This one's funny. It seems either people really like 'em, or think that they're drastically overrated at this point in the game. No real middle ground. Well, count me into the group that thinks they're brilliant.
5. The Beatles - The outright winners in my book. To me, the only group that even competed with them was The Who, who are already out. In a few years, it's possible that Radiohead will rise above the Beatles on my list, but it isn't likely. The Beatles changed music, for better or for worse. They were the masters of pop and melody while simultaneously being creative and groundbreaking. My pop sensibilities say that the Beatles are the best on this list. My mind only slightly disagrees.

1. RADIOHEAD. I respect them more than I like them (though I do like them). Vast musical talent, but very limited emotional range, and by now, I do think that the gap between them and the other four survivors is a yawning chasm.
2. THE ROLLING STONES
3. DAVID BOWIE. The Stones and Bowie are my second-tier grouping; I could flip them very easily.
4. BOB DYLAN
5. THE BEATLES. And in the end…the Beatles are the last act to appear on my ballot. Predictable, although I kind of hoped it wasn’t going to come to this…but, realistically, what were the chances that R.E.M. or the Clash was going to make the final five?

Perfection is not vouchsafed to us in this world, and the Beatles were not perfect. They didn’t rock as much as I’d like, especially as their career wore on. Their early albums have a little too much cheesy filler, and their later albums have a little too many failed (if noble) experiments. They can sometimes sound kind of whitebread. And, although George Martin was no Svengali, he certainly deserves a share of the credit for reinventing studio recording to turn the Beatles into what they became.

They had an enormous amount of talent and ambition—but then, so do many, many successful bands. What sets them apart?

First, they were lucky enough to be the first with the most in the most crucial period in the history of rock. They were in a perfect, and unique, position to completely redefine what rock and roll was, and it’s very unlikely that any other band will ever have the same chance again. Of course, it wasn’t JUST timing—they saw their chance, and they took it.

Second, although they were (and are) icons of the first order, they seemed approachable. Although they were musicians first, they were also movie stars and fashion mavens and (sometimes reluctant) political activists. They were Goonish cutups and psychedelic gurus. They came across as well-rounded characters.

Bowie and Dylan and Jagger seem unapproachable, Olympian. But people encountering the Beatles for the first time, whether in 1963 or in 2008, find four guys who seem understandable. Although they’re 100 times more talented than we’ll ever be, we feel like we know them. We don’t, of course. Not really. But the Beatles soared as high as a rock band can soar…and, unlike most of their peers, it felt like they were inviting us to come with them. THAT, I think, is the secret. They feel like they’re our friends.

By the way, if current voting patterns continue, we may well end up with a head-to-head matchup between Dylan and the Beatles for the winner. Give me strength…

This game is modelled after the TV reality show.

The TV reality is full of strategy.

So here is my strategy voting:

5 - The Beatles
4 - David Bowie
3 - Radiohead
2 - The Rolling Stones
1 - Bob Dylan: In the great Dylan vs. Beatles battle I am a Dylan guy by a long shot. I respect all of the remaining artists, but Bob's music is special to me. Pretty sure he's destined for second place. Oh well, that's not too bad.

5pts: The Beatles(do we really want them to win this after over 30 weeks? A chimpanzee could have predicted them as winners before this began - hopefully we can avoid the inevitable)
4: David Bowie
3: The Rolling Stones
2: Radiohead
1: Bob Dylan

1. Radiohead - Love 'em, but they just need a couple more classics to rank higher. They should try pop again, too; simple is not necessarily bad.
2. David Bowie - Many great albums, but most have just enough filler to bug me.
3. The Rolling Stones - '68-'72 is like buttah, and '66 & '67 are woefully underrated. Post-'73 is generally rubbish (that includes Some Girls), but I choose to focus on their peak years.
4. The Beatles - Never put out an album that didn't have something for me to bitch about. Still, the greatest band in rock history, whaddya gonna do about it?
5. Bob Dylan - Quite possibly the most important singular musical artist of the 20th century. You could argue Gershwin or Stravinsky or Armstrong or Ellington, but Bob's genre has remained the most vital to all generations and his influence continues to pervade. Plus, he could rock when he wanted to, and he was spectacularly funny when he felt like it. Nice qualities for a transformative force.

So, is this the last week? If no new voters are allowed things shouldn't change, right?

5 points- Rolling Stones
4 points- David Bowie
3 points- Bob Dylan
2 points- Radiohead
1 point- Beatles: I'm not a huge fan of a couple of their songs. Boot them off.

Hi, after having seen everything through orange glasses for a couple of weeks ( , we're out of the soccer tournament), DrDre is back in the house again with the last 5 artists to vote:

5 points - David Bowie
4 points - Radiohead
3 points - Rolling Stones
2 points - Bob Dylan
1 point - The Beatles

No surprises anymore for the last two 'newcomers': The Beatles win it clearly against Bob.

5 points - rolling stones
4 david bowie
3the beatles
2 Bob dylan
1 Radiohead

:( Lou Reed and John Cale

Bah can't decide whether to give more points to Bowie or Radiohead (slaps head), but it looks like Bowie has less already, so he can hopefully take two.

5 Points - Beatles
4 Points - Stones
3 Points - Dylan
2 Points - Bowie
1 Point - Radiohead

Strategic voting is how you end up with idiots in governments.

5-POINTS- RADIOHEAD
4-POINTS- BOB DYLAN
3-POINTS- The Rolling Stones
2-POINTS- David Bowie
1-POINT- The Beatles

Strategic voting is how you end up with idiots in governments. Mismaiome, I agree with you for once.

lol...But who's smarter? The guy in government, or the assholes who voted for him.

If that was a slap in Radiohead's direction, I'd sentence you to life in prison.

Not only are they the greatest band of all time. After they finish 2 more albums (They dont have to be 5/5 star either). Radiohead will be impossible to pass, they'll be in a league of there own

5 points: David Boiwe
4 points: Radiohead
3 points: The Beatles
2 points: Bob Dylan
1 point: The Rolling Stones

I'm not going to add much this week. I may do an elegy for the Stones should they be kicked off (which looks somewhat likely). Not like Top 5 is a bad thing, but it took people so long to start voting for them that I kinda hoped they might take it.

1. The Beatles
2. Radiohead
3. Bob Dylan
4. David Bowie
5. The Rolling Stones - to me, the essence of rock and roll - drugs, sex, theater, personality, killer riffs, awesome guitars, the blues, etc.

To Greg:

5 pt. Bob Dylan
4 pt. David Bowie
3 pt. The Rolling Stones
2 pt. The Beatles
1 pt. Radiohead

Sorry to be late with my vote, but I've got a good excuse... the birth of my third daughter, Eden, on Sunday!

Now that I have three daughters, I'll take suggestions as to what three-member girl group I should model them after. The Supremes? The Pointer Sisters? The Andrews Sisters? TLC? The Dixie Chicks? Sleater-Kinney?

Sorry, for the digression. I am also feeling the loss of the last female on the island. How am I supposed to explain that to little Eden?

5. Radiohead
4. The Rolling Stones
3. David Bowie
2. Bob Dylan

New:

1. The Beatles -- See my comments from last week.

CONGRATULATIONS SCHWAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great news. Congrats!

Congratulations, Schwah. May I suggest The Shaggs?

Congratulations !

congrads schwah!

The Schwahnettes. rhymes with Congrats.

Congratulations Schwah!

Congratulations Schwah ! I suggest the Pipettes (the original ones, not the new ones)... I love Gweno

Or if their age is too different from one another, I guess the Hansons were a good girl band if you want to make money...

Congrats on the new baby!

Congrats on the baby - my suggestion is Bananarama

Congratulations Schwah! The Supremes, always The Supremes...

That's great Schway, congratulations. I think netjade might be on to something, Schwahnettes.. I'd listen to them!

1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. Radiohead
4. The Rolling Stones
5. (reluctantly) David Bowie