Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beatles Survivor: Cut 24 CORRECTED

I didn't notice that Slush posted a correction and therefore I added both of his ballots. The results didn't change that much except that I Want To Hold Your Hand is hanging on for dear life but doesn't get cut this week.

Drove the car (off a cliff):

15 Because
15 Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
14 Drive My Car
14 From Me to You
12 Girl

Running on fumes: If I Fell, Lady Madonna, Baby You're a Rich Man, I Want To Hold Your Hand, I Want to Tell You

RULES: Vote for 10 Beatles songs assigning 5 points to two, 4 points to two, 3 points to two, 2 points to two and 1 point to two. Please put the point value next to each song. Please follow this format to make it easy for me to plug into Excel.

5: Song
5: Song
4: Song
4: Song etc...

Comments are very welcome but not required. I'd like it if you give an overall comment but you don't have to.

5 songs will be eliminated every Monday and Thursday and a new vote will begin each day. The deadline for submitting a list is 2PM on each elimination day. In the event of a tie all songs receiving the elimination vote will be eliminated.

THE MASTER LIST!

211. Revolution #9
210. Love Me Do
209. Dig It!
208. Dizzy Miss Lizzie
207. Maggie Mae
206. Devil in Her Heart
205. A Taste of Honey
204. Matchbox
203. You Know My Name (Look up the Number)
202. Bad Boy
201. PS I Love You
200. When I Get Home
199. Wild Honey Pie
198. Boys
197. Flying
196. Mr. Moonlight
195. Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey
194. Anna (Go To Him)
193. Run For Your Life
192. Her Majesty
191. Act Naturally
190. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby
189. Chains
188. Honey Don't
187. Not a Second Time
186. You Really Got a Hold On Me
185. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
184. Baby It's You
183. Till There Was You
182. Rock and Roll Music
181. Roll Over Beethoven
180. Misery
179. Words of Love
178. When I'm 64
177. For You Blue
176. Blue Jay Way
175. The Inner Light
174. Money (That's What I Want)
173. Please, Mr. Postman
172. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
171. Only a Northern Song
170. You Like Me Too Much
169. Slow Down
168. Good Night
167. Thank You Girl
166. Little Child
165. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
164. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
163. One After 909
162. All Together Now
161. I Wanna Be Your Man
160. Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
159. Yes It Is
158. There's a Place
157. Ask Me Why
156. I'll Get You
155. Yellow Submarine
154. Hold Me Tight
153. I Me Mine
152. I Need You
151. Your Mother Should Know
150. Revolution 1
149. Honey Pie
148. Don't Bother Me
147. Tell Me What You See
146. Do You Want To Know a Secret?
145. All I've Got To Do
144. Why Don't We Do It In the Road?
143. I've Got a Feeling
142. Michelle
141. What Goes On
140. Another Girl
139. Any Time at All
138. Within You, Without You
137. This Boy
136. I Don't Want To Spoil the Party
135. Old Brown Shoe
134. It's Only Love
133. Don't Pass Me By
132. Long Tall Sally
131. I Call Your Name
130. I'll Cry Instead
129. I'm Down
128. Tell Me Why
127. The Night Before
126. Every Little Thing
125. Long, Long, Long
124. What You're Doing
123. I'll Be Back
122. Sun King
121. Wait
120. She's a Woman
119. You Can't Do That
118. Doctor Robert
117. Yer Blues
116. It Won't Be Long
115. Birthday
114. The Word
113. Baby's in Black
112. Glass Onion
111. The Ballad of John and Yoko
110. Dig a Pony
109. Good Morning, Good Morning
108. Mean Mr. Mustard
107. Polythene Pam
106. And I Love Her
105. Love You To
104. Octopus's Garden
103. No Reply
102. Rocky Raccoon
101. Things We Said Today
100. I'll Follow The Sun
99. I Should Have Know Better
98. You're Going to Lose That Girl
97. Because
96. Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
95. Drive My Car
94. From Me to You
93. Girl

Discography

Please Please Me

1. I Saw Her Standing There
7. Please Please Me
14. Twist And Shout

With the Beatles

3. All My Loving

A Hard Day's Night

1. Hard Day's Night, A
3. If I Fell
7. Can't Buy Me Love

Beatles For Sale

2. I'm A Loser
8. Eight Days A Week

Help!

1. Help
3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
7. Ticket To Ride
12. I've Just Seen A Face
13. Yesterday

Rubber Soul

2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
3. You Won't See Me
4. Nowhere Man
5. Think For Yourself
10. I'm Looking Through You
11. In My Life
13. If I Needed Someone

Revolver

1. Taxman
2. Eleanor Rigby
3. I'm Only Sleeping
5. Here, There And Everywhere
7. She Said She Said
8. Good Day Sunshine
9. And Your Bird Can Sing
10. For No One
12. I Want To Tell You
13. Got To Get You Into My Life
14. Tomorrow Never Knows

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing A Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
10. Lovely Rita
13. A Day In The Life

Magical Mystery Tour

1. Magical Mystery Tour
2. Fool On The Hill, The
6. I Am The Walrus
7. Hello Goodbye
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Penny Lane
10. Baby You're A Rich Man
11. All You Need Is Love

The Beatles (White Album)

1. Back In The U.S.S.R.
2. Dear Prudence
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
9. Martha My Dear
10. I'm So Tired
11. Blackbird
12. Piggies
16. I Will
17. Julia

3. Mother Nature's Son
5. Sexy Sadie
6. Helter Skelter
10. Savoy Truffle
11. Cry Baby Cry

Yellow Submarine

4. Hey Bulldog
5. It's All Too Much

Abbey Road

1. Come Together
2. Something
4. Oh! Darling
6. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. End, The

Let It Be

1. Two Of Us
3. Across The Universe
6. Let It Be
10. Long and Winding Road
12. Get Back

A Sides and B Sides:

She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
I Feel Fine
Day Tripper
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
Rain
Lady Madonna
Hey Jude
Revolution
Don't Let Me Down

Re: Beatles Survivor: Cut 24 CORRECTED

Cool, the next two songs on my list got voted off (Everybody's Got Something To Hide... and Drive My Car) so I can move up the list. Girl kind of came out nowhere, I had that in my top 20.

5: All You Need is Love
5: She Loves You
4: Long and Winding Road
4: Eight Days A Week
3: Savoy Truffle
3: Got To Get You Into My Life
2: Twist and Shout
2: Back in the USSR
1: I Want To Hold Your Hand
1: Please, Please Me- Imagine a scenario where Beatlemania never happened and these 62-64 songs were merely charting hits without all the buzz. Do the Beatles still develop into what they were post '64? Or are they just another Gerry and the Pacemakers? Once again, these very early songs aren't that good- only important in the context of rock and roll and Beatles history. It's amazing how much improvement was shown even on With the Beatles and how much better they were a couple years down the road with Hard Day's Night.

Really sad to see those songs go. How could you not like Because and Girl?

5: LADY MADONNA
5: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
4: DON'T LET ME DOWN
4: IN MY LIFE
3: THINK FOR YOURSELF
3: I'M LOOKING THROUGH YOU
2: IF I NEEDED SOMEONE

*new*

2: YOU WON'T SEE ME
1: I WANT TO TELL YOU
1: BACK IN THE USSR

A couple of album tracks that are more functional than favorable; "You Won't See Me" was written and recorded under a deadline - as more than a few Beatles songs were - but is one of the rare cases where the pressure failed to produce quality. "I Want To Tell You" also fits the bill -- Emerick once commented that "there seemed to be pressure to complete George's songs in as short a time as possible...", and it's noticeable -- this one has "rushed" written all over it.

And lastly, an album opener that I've never been all that captivated by -- maybe it's the lackluster lyrics (and the syllable-cramming), or the uninspired guitar solo, or the silly sound effects. Also, I think "Helter Skelter" would've been a better opening track.

Just once this time :)

5: I Am the Walrus
5: Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
4: I Want to Hold Your Hand
4: Twist and Shout
3: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
3: I'm So Tired
2: Sexy Sadie
2: Baby You're a Rich Man
1: Please Please Me
1: Oh! Darling

I think you should rethink your entries and post again! Just kidding! Kind of.

Slush... buddy... we need to sit down and talk about both of your 5 pt. picks. "Walrus" and "Mr. Kite" -- two of the most adventurous, psychedelic songs of the Beatles catalog, and together, they pretty much epitomize everything great about the Beatles in '67. Is this not worth anything?

And so I ask (and Kanye asks too)... "what's the basis"?

Sad to see "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey" leave (my #22).

Here are my votes for this week:

5: Back In The USSR
5: I Want You (She's So Heavy)
4: I Saw Her Standing There
4: I'm A Loser
3: I'm So Tired
3: I Want To Hold Your Hand
2: Can't Buy Me Love
2: Please Please Me
1: Julia
1: Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!

"Slush doesn't care about white Beatles"

Seriously, I loathe "Kite." Wasn't it just Lennon reading a circus flyer? Correct me if that is a rumor and I may give it a few more listens to see if I can get away from my loathing.

I can't really pinpoint what I dislike about "Walrus" so much. Let me put it on and see what comes to mind:

Okay, I really hate Lennon's vocal delivery right away. Truly cringeworthy. "Sitting on a corn flake waiting for a van to come." <- Dumb lyric. "I am the eggman." Give me a Denver omlette. Corn flakes and eggman, is this song about breakfast? "Coo coo kah choo." Great, a nonsensical chorus. Oh, and then one of my least favorite things the Beatles could do, referencing another song. In this case the also overrated "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."

Post-listen: I will admit that this is an interesting song musically, like a "Revolution 9" that works better. However, the lyrics are nonsensical images that Lennon pushed together and this is Lennon's voice at his whiniest sounding. For the record, I'm more a fan of the Beatles simple, pretty songs. I find a lot of the grand, epic, "experimental" songs silly.

Back to another point: Anthony, seriously, "In My Life?" That's like a dagger to the heart I don't have.

"I like black music too"

5: I Want to Tell You
5: Hello Goodbye
4: I Want To Hold Your Hand
4: If I Fell
3: Getting Better
3: Magical Mystery Tour
2: Ticket to Ride
2: Baby You're a Rich Man
1: I'm a Loser
New votes:
1: Eight Days a Week: McCartney tried here to replicate the Lennon idea of making a song from a Ringo’s phrase. The previous was “A Hard Day’s Night” and it was a much better one.

I want to add my condolence to Henrik in the case of “Because” and “Girl”. Maybe the first one has been penalized for the simple lyrics with (maybe too obvious) drug references, but it’s all completely forgivable for the superb vocal harmonies (that got nothing to envy to Beach Boys). About the latter song I must say that is one of my Lennon favourites, with the sitar sounding as a Greek bouzouki (not confirmed but I’ve always though that it was Lennon Greek answer to McCartney French “Michelle”), with lyrics not so simple (initially about a proud girl but Lennon introduced observations against some Christian concepts as “pain would lead to pleasure” or “a man must break his back to earn his day of leisure”). Come on, this was a Top 50 song. Anyway it’s much better than other songs of the “Rubber Soul” album as “You Won’t See Me”, “I’m Looking Through You” or “If I Needed Someone”.

And, Slush, of course that the lyrics of “I Am the Walrus” are nonsensical. That’s exactly what Lennon intended! Don’t you know the genesis of the song? I’ll quote some fragments of Dowlding book about statements from Pete Shotton, a long-time friend of Lennon. Sorry for the inexact translation (English to Spanish to English again, like the Rune game): “According to Pete Shotton, the song was born when Lennon and him were reading a fan mail from a student in Quarry Bank, their old school. They had a lot of fun reading that during the literature class the students analyzed the Beatles lyrics. This fact reminded them about a song they used to sing when they went to school: “Yellow matter custard, green slop pie / all mixed together with a dead dog’s eye…”. According to Shotton, Lennon scribbled the verse “Yellow matter custard dropping from a dead dog’s eye”. Then Lennon began to take out the most absurd images that he could: “semolina” (and insipid soup) or “pilchard” (a kind of sardine used to feed the cats), that ended being “Semolina pilchard climbing up the Eiffel Tower”. His intentions were to confuse the teachers of his old school”. It seems that he confused a lot of people more too!

It's true -- during the filming of "Strawberry Fields"/"Penny Lane", John was browsing an antique shop in Kent and came across an old Victorian poster advertising an actual circus that took place in Lancashire in 1843. It became the inspiration for "Mr. Kite". He played the song initially for George Martin - just acoustic - and when George asked John how he wanted to do the song, they decided to cut up a bunch of Sousa marches (into 15-inch sections), splice them together at random and manipulate the tape speed to achieve the "circus-y" effect. And that's really just the abridged version of it -- a crazy amount of production went into "Mr. Kite", and it doesn't sound like much because we're so accustomed to hearing tons of production in music nowadays, but for the time it was simply incredible how they went about getting the sound that John had in his head.

So, "Mr. Kite" might not be the most melodic or the most effortless song in the canon (but it sure is singable!), but it's staying off my ballot for a while based on sheer production value. As for "Walrus", well....

For me, "Walrus" is one of the reasons why the Beatles are so great. Not just the song, but the idea. It's the notion of here's a band that started off doing simple rock n' roll and pop tunes, and this is what they ended up doing with it. It's at the complete opposite end of the Beatles spectrum. Forget for a second about the acid trips.... "Walrus" epitomizes everything that any band should strive for -- the idea that music is art and that if you're not constantly striving to change and do something different from what you've done before, you might as well hang it up, and this song is a perfect example of the artistic, creative sense that the Beatles had. As for the song, it's a fantastically surrealistic and fascinating composition, with "enough little bitties going to keep you interested even a hundred years later" (according to John), and the lyrics are great nonsensical poetry, but that didn't stop people from spinning "I am the walrus..." into "I am God". Even at his most tongue-in-cheek, John still couldn't get away from people reading into his lyrics. And of course, all of the "eggman"'s and "corn flakes" don't mean shit (oh, but that didn't stop the BBC from having a fit about "let your knickers down"), but that's the great thing about it -- the fact that the Beatles took their ideas and ran with them.

Anyway, schleuse could probably explain the greatness of "Walrus" a bit better than I can. And Honorio -- you're dead-on about the genesis of the song, although I read somewhere that John was inspired to write some of the verses after hearing a police siren while at home in Weybridge.

5: The Fool on the Hill
5: I've Just Seen a Face
4: The Long and Winding Road
4: It's All Too Much
3: I Want to Tell You
3: Magical Mystery Tour
2: Piggies
2: Think for Yourself
1: Fixing a Hole
1: Can't Buy Me Love

Always thought "Can't Buy Me Love" was a little bit overrated ...

Wow, if "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - third highest-ranked Beatles song on AM and #21 overall - gets eliminated this early that would be quite the upset, wouldn't it?

Thanks guys for the insight into those two songs. I guess I'll just push it back to the fact that I take a formalist view of music. I don't enjoy the song, because regardless of the fact that I like the story about the lyrics, I hate Lennon's vocal delivery in this song. Same with "Kite" for that matter.

Now, I used to feel the same way about "Tomorrow Never Knows" as I feel about "Walrus," but that song eventually won me over in some regard. Maybe I'll come around on "Walrus" some day. Since I respect the people's opinions on this forum I should give it a couple more listens...just stop voting for "In My Life"

5: Please Please Me
5: If I Fell
4: Lady Madonna
4: Dear Prudence
3: Getting Better
3: The Long And Winding Road
2: Martha My Dear

Again, three of my choices went out this time, so here are another three:
2: I've Just Seen A Face
1: I Want To Tell You
1: All You Need Is Love

Well we're almost getting down to a list where I like all the songs. Still some stinkers for example:

5: Magical Mystery Tour
5: Baby You're A Rich Man
4: Piggies
4: I'm A Loser
3: Eight Days A Week
(Eliminate Beatles For Sale)
3: Two Of Us
2: Cry Baby Cry
2: Mother Nature's Son
1: I Want You(She's So Heavy)
1: Back In The USSR

Can't understand all the votes for 'I Want To Tell You' though - it's my 3rd favourite off Revolver

Exactly, Anthony. I’m going to translate again (English-Spanish-English, you know) some fragments of Beatles official biography by Hunter Davies published in 1968. It’s an exhaustingly complete book boring at times (the exhaustive descriptions of the Beatles childhood) but Davies was there while the Fab Four were creating their masterpieces and the descriptions of the then present facts while they were composing “Walrus” or “Little Help From My Friends” are the most interesting aspects. Let’s go:
“One day, in his Weybridge home, John heard the siren of a police car in the distance. It consists in a high note and a low one that repeats again and again, like a primitive wail. He kept the beat and began to add some lyrics: “Mis-ter, Ci-ty, plice-man, sit-tin, pre-tty”.
Then he began to change the order of the lyrics: “Sitting pretty, like a policeman”. But he couldn’t get far. He though that it could be the basis for a song, but there was no need to develop it at that very moment. He would work on this the next time he needed a song.
- I got it written down in a paper somewhere. I’m always afraid to forget it and I write it down, but in fact I don’t forget it.
He showed me some other written nonsense to apply to some kind of rhythm: “Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the man to come”. I didn’t understand it well, I though he said “van to come”. He liked it like that and said that he will change the lyrics.
He got also some bit of melody. He got it thinking on the phrase “sitting in an English country garden”. This is what he does at least two hours every day, he sits down on the step in front of the glass door and look to his garden. That day he realized that fact, he repeated the phrase again and again till the melody came.
- I still don’t know what to do. Maybe I could put it all together in the same song: “Sitting in an English garden, waiting for the van to come”. I don’t know.
And that’s what it happened. He put together all the parts and that became “I Am the Walrus”. In the instrumental backing you can hear the persistent beat of a police siren, that it was the thing that inspired the song. This happens often with John. Fragments that began separately ends within the same song”

Another quote this time from John Lennon itself:
“It came from “The Walrus and the Carpenter”. “Alice in Wonderland”. It was a beautiful poem to me… (Later) I realized that the walrus was the bad one and the carpenter the good one. I thought: “Oh, shit, I’ve picked up the wrong guy. I would have said: I am the carpenter”. But it wouldn’t have been the same, would it?”

So (and sorry for the long post):
- Hunter Davies wrote a word on “Walrus” (and he didn’t get paid!!).
- He stole ideas in this one too (like in many others, “Good Morning”, “Mr. Kite”, “A Day in the Life” . But that’s not negative at all, it’s the way you combine it the important thing.
- This story gives the idea of how positive was for The Beatles to stay away from the stormy Beatlemania in the second part of their career. Finally they got time to slowly develop the songs, to let mature it before the final recording. The amount of available time got a more positive effect that LSD itself.

Sorry if this kind of stories sounds masturbatory, but I find fascinating the process of composing a song (much more that many other aspects involved in pop music). And there’s nothing wrong to learn from the geniuses.

I Will 5
Baby You’re A Rich Man 5
Day Tripper 4
Getting Better 4
Rain 3
Lovely Rita 3
Please Please Me 2
If I Fell 2
I Want to Hold Your Hand 1
I Want To Tell You 1

Great stuff, Honorio. I'm the same way -- completely fascinated by the songwriting process (probably because like you, I'm a songwriter) and it definitely enhances my enjoyment to know the origin/genesis/inspiration/muse behind a given piece of music.

And Slush -- until someone else starts voting for "In My Life", there's nothing to worry about. At least, this is how I'm reconciling nicolas' "Rain" vote (no offense, nic).

5: Julia
5: For No One
4: Got to Get You Into My Life
4: With a Little Help from My Friends
3: Come Together
3: If I Fell
2: I'm Looking Through You
2: Mother Nature's Son
1: Martha My Dear
1: Get Back

New vote: Mother Nature's Son
Another song which is a good listen during the White Album's audition but doesn't stand so well alone. It was the last track whose existence was noted by me in the album (I only realized the presence of this song after maybe 8 or 9 auditions of the disc), and, in fact, there's no special element in it. All this song's components are merely good, never excelent. It functions only for coming between the noise of Birthday-Yer Blues and Everybody's Got Something to Hide... and, strangely, is the only remaining of these 4 here.

5: Oh! Darling
5: I've Just Seen a Face
4: Baby You're a Rich Man
4: You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
3: Mother Nature's Son
3: For No One
2: Getting Better
2: Hey Bulldog
1: Hello Goodbye
1: I Want to Hold Your Hand - It's exciting to see others' votes, I thought no one had less respect than me for this song. Break-through songs in general and this song in particular get way too much acclaim. This is a decent children's music song, but it's "She Loves You" that deserves all the attention - John, time for you to rethink...

5: Good Day Sunshine
5: Hey Bulldog
4: It's All Too Much
4: Julia
3: She's Leaving Home
3: She Said She Said
2: I Want to Tell You
2: Magical Mystery Tour
1: Cry Baby Cry
1: Don't Let Me Down

Checking the time stamp

I'm going to keep this open for a few more hours since I took away a day from you guys. So you have until 12:05 am according the board time stamp, 6:05 pm my time.

It's a bit sad that only a dozen of us participate in this; and even sadder that only a few of us choose to comment on the songs we're voting for...

days have only 24 hours

I've been pretty happy with the participation since the Wild Card round. Of course it would be awesome to see more people involved and that's why I didn't make comments required. I thought that it would get everyone involved and the discussion would still go on in the background... I really wanted to make it simple for everyone to vote twice a week and maybe that will still happen when we get closer to the end. But like I said, I've been satisfied with the increase in voting.