Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM Survivor: Week 31

Hey, hey, my, my, into the black:

7. Neil Young (63)

At this point, we have six artists left, so it’s gotten extremely silly to post both a “bubbling-under” list AND a “remaining artists” list. So from here on out, I’ll combine them, like so:

Radiohead (46)
The Velvet Underground (46)
The Rolling Stones (46)
David Bowie (43)
Bob Dylan (36)
The Beatles (35)

That, my friends, is a logjam. It was clear that Neil would probably be the next to go, but with a three-way tie for the next boat out, and only 11 points separating the remaining field of six, it’s potentially anybody’s game at this point. Thirty weeks gone, and I have no idea what’s gonna happen. (Cool.)

So, let’s do this. Week 31.

Re: AM Survivor: Week 31

1. (5p) Radiohead - They're in a totally different league than the rest of the survivors.

2. (4p) David Bowie - He's great, but not Bob Dylan-great, or Rolling Stones-great, or.. you get the picture.

3. (3p) Bob Dylan - For the rest of the artists here I can't really come up with something negative to say. Bob is amazing. Of course his voice is not the voice of pop singer, but that is half the point, isn't it?

4. (2p) The Rolling Stones - They've had some sort of revival at my home. I've listened a lot to their stuff lately, and it sounds better than ever.

5. (1p) The Beatles - Hard choice for who I should give the last point. The Beatles is one of the greatest bands ever. So much talent in one space, it's a wonder how they managed to make all that music instead of just destroying eachother.

Bye Neil

1. Radiohead 5 pts
2. The Velvet Underground 4
3. The Rolling Stones 3
4. David Bowie 2
5. Bob Dylan 1

Remaining : The Beatles

5 points - Bob Dylan

For preventing the rise of disco, and setting history back for years.

4 points - The Beatles

Same as above.

3 points - The Rolling Stones

Again.

2 points - David Bowie

For ruining it.

1 point - Radiohead

Would have been the perfect disco band, except they never even attempted it. Cruel cruel world.

1. The Rolling Stones

I adore the six remaining artists, but The Rolling Stones are an easy nod for the weakest thereof. They're the only band left I could happily keep a Greatest Hits of and then take or leave the rest.

2. The Velvet Underground

Each of the Velvets four albums is completely distinct, and wholly amazing. But the fact their career is built on about, ooh, 40 songs I'd be hard pushed to give them any better a position... 40 fuckin' amazin' songs, like.

3. Bob Dylan

Probably the best lyricist ever born.

4. Radiohead

An absolute titan of a classic band that towers not only over its contemporaries (Suede, anyone?) but over the classic acts of yore to boot (The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Doors... all pale in comparison). Amazingly versatile, risk-taking, mind-blowing music machines combined with the most poignant vocalist this side of Jeff Buckley and the most heart-bottling lyrics this side of eternity. If their next seven albums are as good their last seven, you can just tear up all them history books.

5. The Beatles

And finally The Beatles, who changed the course of pop's future-history more often than most bands changed pants. An amazing run of records, an amazing songbook - shit, if you got The Beatles in your life, you don't need much else.

Naturally, David Bowie should win.

1. The Velvet Underground (my #38)
2. Bob Dylan (#23)
3. The Rolling Stones (#21)
4. Radiohead (#14)
5. David Bowie (#7) - The Beatles have been my favorite artist for a long long long time. But after a couple of years of almost no listening, I dissected them for the Beatles survivor game, to find that I'm not entirely sure about their #1 position. Anyway, these five listed artists are not the strongest contenders. Bowie has had incredible highs of course. He probably has as many good songs as The Beatles, but spread over more than twice as many albums.

I haven't listened to them much in the last couple of

Wow, Henrik. I thought you were more of a Masive Attack by way of The Police kind of person.

I wonder why...

Repeats:
5 Points - The Beatles
4 Points - The Rolling Stones
3 Points - Bob Dylan
2 Points - Radiohead
New:
1 Point - The Velvet Underground
Only thing is that David Bowie is more glam, and is just flat-out cooler than VU.

1. Bob Dylan
2. Radiohead
3. The Rolling Stones
4. David Bowie
5. The Beatles - I love them, I hate them, I love them. But the things I love about them often seem to be what others hate. I love Revolution 9, I love that they didn't trim the white album down to a single disc, I love Yoko. There, I said it

They won't win this, but I want them to:
The Velvet Underground

1. Velvet Underground
2. Radiohead
3. Rolling Stones
4. David Bowie

New:

5. Bob Dylan -- First of all, sorry as this veers away from a discussion of Dylan, but since this is the final vote, I feel more compulsion to justify my #1 vote, than explain my #2. Actually, Dylan is #4 on my top-101 list, and that's even without having anywhere near a broad knowledge of his work. This is one vote where historical impact raises his level for me above my love for him, although I do have heck of a lot of love for him.

As I get older, I pull Dylan out more and more. Even more often than the Beatles these days.

However, the Bealtes are music-love for me. I learned to love -- nay, obsess over -- pop music from the Beatles. I learned about the abiltiy of music to evoke and transport from the Beatles. Sure I bought albums by, and enjoyed, and even studied other artists before them -- _Thriller_, and _Synchronicity_ were signal albums in that regard for young Schwah. But It was the discovery of _1967-1970_ and _Sgt. Pepper's_ that grabbed me at the right time, and bore into my soul.

Now placing the Beatles as #1 would not be legitimate if it were solely based upon their having gotten there first for me. This can't be based on nostalgia or personal influence alone (although those are legitimate factors in personal ranking, I'd argue).

Nor can I say that the Beatles are the alpha and omega... the Platonic form by which all other pop music should be judged. Even the most fanboyish of Bealtes fanboys would not say that, although the debates sometimes veer in that direction. There is too much excellence and evolution in all of these other artists to even hint at such a claim.

But I do feel comfortable in proclaiming that the Beatles are the most complete pop/rock artist. Many of the signposts that I yearn for in pop music can be found in abundance with the Beatles: charisma, beat, melodicism, experimentation, arrangement, joy, humor, harmony, sweep, surprise in songwriting, power, poignancy. I just don't see any other artist matching that breadth (which would be unfair to ask of any solo artist), even those lasting longer than the eight or so years of recording the Beatles put up.

I skim the debates that constantly arise on these boards about the Beatles. Those debates center too often on originality... did the Beatles get somewhere first. I just don't care all that much. Don't get me wrong, it adds to my enjoyment that the Beatles did what they did relatively early in the history of recorded pop music. But no artist is sui generis. And certainly the Beatles less so than others. In the end, for me, music is always so much more enjoyable when it is not worried about getting somewhere first than when it is reaching backward at the same time as it is pointing forward. Where can we stretch what has come before? Better yet, how can we combine in surprising ways two or more things that have come before?

I just think that the Beatles do this more consistently, and more interestingly, than any other artist.

5 pts - Radiohead
4 pts – David Bowie
3 pts - The Velvet Underground
2 pts - The Rolling Stones
1 pt. - The Beatles - That's half a point for using the Dorian mode and half a point for using Mixolydian mode.

1. David Bowie - Influential, but not something I willingly listen to.
2. Bob Dylan - The nasally voice is really a drawback, but it fits in so many ways. Yet it seems somewhat bizarre that some of the best penned songs of his were better when performed by others. Probably rock's greatest lyricist, but the company around him makes that simple distinction not enough.
3. The Velvet Underground - Had the second greatest four year period of music ever, even if no one heard it back then, thanks to being shoved off to the side by the pop music of their peers. Even their outtakes are great, but their lack of output compared to the others on this list is their downfall.
4. The Rolling Stones - To me, always a singles band. I don't listen to any of their albums frequently, with only "Sticky Fingers" getting some plays in. But when they did hit, they created masterpieces. "Gimme Shelter" still sends shivers down my spine.
5. Radiohead - Possibly the number one band on this site in a few years. Both "OK Computer" and "The Bends" rank in my top 15 albums of all time. But after that, I feel that there's a rather steep drop off. The first two are classics, but the others get sometimes a bit too bizarre (the same argument I use against Bowie). In the end, I'm just too inclined towards the perfect melody and "prettiness" in music to justify putting Radiohead higher up. Thus, the Beatles come out on top, thanks to the close to perfect pop that they created.

Last on standing: The Beatles

The Beatles

5 points - Bob Dylan
4 - The Rolling Stones
3 - The Velvet Underground
2 - the Beatles
1 - David Bowie

Yell, tie game between him and Radiohead, but I won't push them cause they're close to the edge and I'm trying to protect their heads ha ha ha

5: The Beatles - clearly should have gone before Neil Young and The Beach Boys
4: The Velvet Underground
3: David Bowie
2: The Rolling Stones
1: Radiohead - I've grown to like pretty much every single thing I've heard from them

And the greatest artist of all time is:

Bob Dylan

1) Radiohead
2) The Beatles
3) David Bowie
4) The Velvet Underground
5) The Rolling Stones - My #4 (The Who (#2) and Bruce (#3) are already gone) and I have nothing left to say. Can't really come up with something to compare them to either. They're one of a kind, epic, grand, and all those fancy words.

Obviously that leaves as the winner: Bob Dylan

5 points- Rolling Stones
4 points- David Bowie
3 points- Bob Dylan
2 points- Radiohead
1 point- Velvet Underground: No big surprise here. There's only one band left that's in my personal top 5 so the VU are a distant second to The Beatles.

1. RADIOHEAD
2. THE VELVET UNDERGROUND
3. THE ROLLING STONES
4. DAVID BOWIE
5. BOB DYLAN. Er, what Schwah said. I was starting to write a longer comment, but he summed up my feelings almost perfectly.

OK, that’s a fairly lame cop-out, I know. I’ll just add one more thing: versatility, which seems to have been my acid test for a lot of tough decisions in Survivor. The Beatles could do almost everything, most of it well. That’s not true of Dylan, and that’s really what this choice boils down to for me. This is NOT to say that Dylan isn’t immensely talented and versatile. He is.

There’s an inner circle of ndividuals in the history of rock who have been central figures around whom everything coalesced. In my opinion, none of the Beatles qualifies for that honor--even though as a group, nobody can touch them (well, maybe the Clash in 1977-79). Offhand, I’d say that the inner circle is Elvis, Bowie, Strummer, and Cobain. And Robert A. Zimmerman.

5 pts - Rolling Stones (the only artist left that i don't love)
4 pts - Velvet Underground (#10)
3 pts - The Beatles (#8)
2 pts - David Bowie (#7)

1 pts - Radiohead (#3): I'm not pulling them out much nowadays probably because i have been listening to their music a lot in the past years. In my view, they haven't been bad on record since "The Bends" and, aside from Pablo Honey, i always found something special in their albums to return to with very few weak spots and "silly" songs.

Gotta use some strategy in my picks this week. I dont want to see Radiohead go. One more week will put them in the top 5 and thats all I care about.

Velvet were a tie last week so Im Gunna Through 5 points at them, even though I feel as though there a #4 on this list

5POints - Velvet Under Ground
4Points - David Bowie
3Points - The Rolling stones
2Points - The Beatles
1 POint - Bob dylan

1. The Beatles
2. Radiohead
3. Velvet Underground
4. Bob Dylan
5. David Bowie

No need to bash any one artist, There all great.

5-POINTS- RADIOHEAD
4-POINTS- BOB DYLAN
3-POINTS- THE VELVET UNDERGROUND
2-POINTS- The Rolling Stones
1-POINT- David Bowie

5p - Rolling Stones - Great stuff, Just the weakest left
4p -Velvet Underground -And Nico is one of my all time fav's, I love this band
3p -Bowie -A True Master
2p -Bob Dylan -Gotta love em
1p -The Beatles - Amazing Career with very few missteps

Radiohead remains - Only one album short of terrific (Pablo Honey)But everything else is 5 star. I Love this band, and it impresses me that theyve made it this far in a room filled with vetrans

5 points: David Bowie (still #49)

4 points: Radiohead (down 1 to #23)

3 points: The Beatles (up 3 to #22) - In my big massive spreadsheet of rankings, #s 20-26 just ended up being remarkably close, so I like how this pretty much changes week to week.

2 points: The Velvet Underground (still #19)

1 point: Bob Dylan (#10) - Not much to say about Bob that isn't great. I guess I've lost some love for him in the past few years, but that's about all I can say.

And my favorite:
The Rolling Stones, who are actually my #2 overall, but they could pretty much trade with Blur for the #1 spot on a daily basis.

5 points: The Velvet Underground
4 points: David Bowie
3 points: Bob Dylan
2 points: The Rolling Stones
1 point: Radiohead: The Bends is one of my all-time favourite albums, and you can't go wrong with OK Computer, Kid A, or In Rainbows. I'm also a fan of Hail to the Thief, and Pablo Honey, believe it or not. The only album of theirs I'm not a huge fan of is Amnesiac. My favourite songs of theirs: "Just," "High and Dry," "Karma Police," "Fake Plastic Trees," "All I Need," "Black Star," "Paranoid Android," "No Surprises," "The Bends," "Street Spirit (Fade Out)," "Let Down," "Planet Telex," "Creep"

My fave: The Beatles

1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. Radiohead
4. The Rolling Stones
5. The Velvet Underground- This is the first time that I have had to vote for an artist that I actually really like. They will likely rank among my top 30 artists when I make my list for the Artist Poll. The debut and White Light/White Heat helped to reshape my notions of what music can be, and I revere both as top 5 albums of the 60s. Lou Reed's solo career has also held my wonder. I'm not crazy about their 1969 self-titled album, and I really don't like Loaded, but it will indeed be a sad day in the Renner household when VU sets sail.

That leaves David Bowie as my remaining survivor at this point. The last time I made an artist list, he came in at number 8 and therefore would definitely be a worthy winner in my eyes. His unprecedented career trajectory through such a variety of styles, characters and genres has provided me with great delight.

Got to go with

5 points The Velvet Underground
4 The Rolling Stones
3 David Bowie
2 Bob Dylan

New

1 The Beatles. This one point shouldn't hurt them as much as it would Radiohead so I have to vote for my favourite of all time over my 2nd favourite!