The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beatles Survivor: Cut 18

You just got that in Justin!

This cut should bring us close to half-way through the catalog. I like the list so far even if some of my favorites are on it!

Eliminated:

14 points: The Night Before
13 points: Every Little Thing
13 points: Long, Long, Long
11 points: What You’re Doing
10 points: I’ll Be Back
10 points: Sun King
10 points: Wait

Close: Got To Get You Into My Life, It Won't Be Long

RULES: Vote for 10 Beatles songs assigning 5 points to two, 4 points to two, 3 points to two, 2 points to two and 1 point to two. Please put the point value next to each song. Please follow this format to make it easy for me to plug into Excel.

5: Song
5: Song
4: Song
4: Song etc...

Comments are very welcome but not required. I'd like it if you give an overall comment but you don't have to.

5 songs will be eliminated every Monday and Thursday and a new vote will begin each day. The deadline for submitting a list is 2PM on each elimination day. In the event of a tie all songs receiving the elimination vote will be eliminated.

THE MASTER LIST!

211. Revolution #9
210. Love Me Do
209. Dig It!
208. Dizzy Miss Lizzie
207. Maggie Mae
206. Devil in Her Heart
205. A Taste of Honey
204. Matchbox
203. You Know My Name (Look up the Number)
202. Bad Boy
201. PS I Love You
200. When I Get Home
199. Wild Honey Pie
198. Boys
197. Flying
196. Mr. Moonlight
195. Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey
194. Anna (Go To Him)
193. Run For Your Life
192. Her Majesty
191. Act Naturally
190. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby
189. Chains
188. Honey Don't
187. Not a Second Time
186. You Really Got a Hold On Me
185. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
184. Baby It's You
183. Till There Was You
182. Rock and Roll Music
181. Roll Over Beethoven
180. Misery
179. It's All Too Much
178. Words of Love
177. When I'm 64
176. For You Blue
175. Blue Jay Way
174. The Inner Light
173. Money (That's What I Want)
172. Please, Mr. Postman
171. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
170. Only a Northern Song
169. You Like Me Too Much
168. Slow Down
167. Good Night
166. Thank You Girl
165. Little Child
164. Rocky Raccoon
163. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
162. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
161. One After 909
160. All Together Now
159. I Wanna Be Your Man
158. Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
157. Yes It Is
156. There's a Place
155. Ask Me Why
154. I'll Get You
153. Yellow Submarine
152. Hold Me Tight
151. I Me Mine
150. Octopus's Garden
149. I Need You
148. Your Mother Should Know
147. Revolution 1
146. Honey Pie
145. Don't Bother Me
144. Tell Me What You See
143. Do You Want To Know a Secret?
142. All I've Got To Do
141. Why Don't We Do It In the Road?
140. Drive My Car
139. I've Got a Feeling
138. Michelle
137. What Goes On
136. Hey Bulldog
135. Piggies
134. All You Need Is Love
133. Another Girl
132. Any Time at All
131. The Long and Winding Road
130. Within You, Without You
129. This Boy
128. I Don't Want To Spoil the Party
127. Old Brown Shoe
126. It's Only Love
125. Don't Pass Me By
124. Long Tall Sally
123. I Call Your Name
122. I'll Cry Instead
121. I'm Down
120. Tell Me Why
119. The Night Before
118. Every Little Thing
117. Long, Long, Long
116. What You're Doing
115. I'll Be Back
114. Sun King
113. Wait

Discography

Please Please Me

1. I Saw Her Standing There
7. Please Please Me
14. Twist And Shout

With the Beatles

1. It Won't Be Long
3. All My Loving

A Hard Day's Night

1. Hard Day's Night, A
2. I Should Have Known Better
3. If I Fell
5. And I Love Her
7. Can't Buy Me Love
10. Things We Said Today
12. You Can't Do That

Beatles For Sale

1. No Reply
2. I'm A Loser
3. Baby's In Black
5. I'll Follow The Sun
8. Eight Days A Week

Help!

1. Help
3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
6. You're Going To Lose That Girl
7. Ticket To Ride
12. I've Just Seen A Face
13. Yesterday

Rubber Soul

2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
3. You Won't See Me
4. Nowhere Man
5. Think For Yourself
6. Word, The
9. Girl
10. I'm Looking Through You
11. In My Life
13. If I Needed Someone

Revolver

1. Taxman
2. Eleanor Rigby
3. I'm Only Sleeping
4. Love You To
5. Here, There And Everywhere
7. She Said She Said
8. Good Day Sunshine
9. And Your Bird Can Sing
10. For No One
11. Doctor Robert
12. I Want To Tell You
13. Got To Get You Into My Life
14. Tomorrow Never Knows

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing A Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning Good Morning
13. A Day In The Life

Magical Mystery Tour

1. Magical Mystery Tour
2. Fool On The Hill, The
6. I Am The Walrus
7. Hello Goodbye
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
9. Penny Lane
10. Baby You're A Rich Man

The Beatles (White Album)

1. Back In The U.S.S.R.
2. Dear Prudence
3. Glass Onion
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
9. Martha My Dear
10. I'm So Tired
11. Blackbird
16. I Will
17. Julia

1. Birthday
2. Yer Blues
3. Mother Nature's Son
4. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
5. Sexy Sadie
6. Helter Skelter
10. Savoy Truffle
11. Cry Baby Cry

Yellow Submarine (ELIMINATED)

Abbey Road

1. Come Together
2. Something
4. Oh! Darling
6. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
7. Here Comes The Sun
8. Because
9. You Never Give Me Your Money
11. Mean Mr. Mustard
12. Polythene Pam
13. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14. Golden Slumbers
15. Carry That Weight
16. End, The

Let It Be

1. Two Of Us
2. Dig A Pony
3. Across The Universe
6. Let It Be
12. Get Back

A Sides and B Sides:

From Me To You
She Loves You
I Want To Hold Your Hand
I Feel Fine
She's A Woman
Day Tripper
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
Rain
Lady Madonna
Hey Jude
Revolution
Don't Let Me Down
Ballad Of John And Yoko, The

Re: Beatles Survivor: Cut 18

5: LADY MADONNA
5: THINGS WE SAID TODAY
4: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
4: BECAUSE
3: BALLAD OF JOHN AND YOKO
3: DON'T LET ME DOWN
2: GOOD MORNING GOOD MORNING
2: I'VE JUST SEEN A FACE

*new*

1: IN MY LIFE: It's not the worst thing on Rubber Soul, but it's close. The composition isn't that spectacular, in fact, you have to admit that it's pretty weak for a Beatles song. (John - I'm looking at you here, since I'm aware of your attachment to this album). The lyrics are rather bland, not to mention nostalgic to the point of seeping into "yech" territory. The performances are nothing to write home about either -- could Ringo sound any less inspired? I don't understand why this one is always raved about. As far as I can tell, the best thing going for it is that "harpsichord" solo, and even it's not that great.

1: THE WORD: For 100 points, which song in the Beatles catalog has the lamest chorus? Ding! That's right, John, it's this one. I think this is one of those cases where Lennon was shooting for something, but missed completely.

Stay tuned for more of my Rubber Soul smear campaign on Monday!

It might be time to gut 'Rubber Soul' - it shouldn't have any more than 4 in the top 100

I can definitely see why someone wouldn't like In My Life and The Word. One's sappy, the other overly hippie. I like them both though. What I don't get is how The Night Before has been voted off. That makes this guy a sad panda. One of the Beatles best pure pop songs.

5: She Loves You
5: Eight Days A Week
4: Glass Onion
4: Yer Blues
3: Savoy Truffle
3: Got To Get You Into My Life
2: Twist and Shout
2: From Me To You
1: Back in the USSR
1: I Want To Hold Your Hand: As important as they were, the Beatles 1962-63 UK Singles just weren't great songs for the most part. I'm not voting for importance I'm voting for the best songs.

I would say Rubber Soul deserves at least 5 songs in the top 50.

Since we're approaching the nitty gritty of this fun little tournament, I've decided to do my due dilligence and kick my love affair with John, Paul, George and Ringo up a few notches.

Step #1: listening, and lots of it.... here

Step #2: reading. My girlfriend recently surprised me with this out-of-print gem. Great stuff here.

What are some other great Beatles books?

And let's get some discussion going here! It's been sorely lacking in this game.

There's a book, I think it's called BeatlesSongs that explains the recording process and the meanings of all of their songs. However, any of these books that do this should be taken with a grain of salt. Paul McCartney has said he gets laughs at most of the books that try to do this because of how far off they are on some songs.

I read a bunch back in high school but I don't remember them anymore. Everything kind of takes a back seat now that the Anthology exists.

5: You Can't Do That
5: She's a Woman
4: Back in the USSR
4: Birthday
3: Love You To
3: I Saw Her Standing There
2: Can't Buy Me Love
2: Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
1: I Want to Hold Your Hand
1: Yer Blues

This week, my new vote goes to "Yer Blues". Such a depressing song.

Hahaha Anthony - looks like the Beatles have just edged out Bjork on your weekly most played artists on lastfm...

5 - Good Morning,Good Morning
5 - Birthday
4 - Because
4 - Polythene Pam
3 - Mean Mr. Mustard
3 - She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
[As stand alone songs,not great]
2 - Baby's In Black
2 - No Reply
1 - Eight Days A Week
1 - The Word

I think it's the first time I read a bad critic about In My Life. Although it's not even among my 7 or 8 favorite tracks in Rubber Soul, I've considered it by far the greatest song on the album since my first listening. Let's see that, compared with the Beatles' previous songs, it has John's most deep and universal lyrics (and, yet, marked by extreme simplicity). But as all this would be supered by many of his posterior lyrics, the elements that make this song be so beloved until today are the musical ones. It's not easy to make a song with so few musical elements sound so touching. I think the secret is that all these elements are placed exactly where they should be and are played with impeccable interpretation.

About The Word, its bad to see it's probably going to be the next Rubber Soul track to go away here. As I'm not from an English-language country, this kind of songs are, for me, much more musical than poetical pieces. So, although I understand much things John say in The Word's lyrics (and, agree they are all fool and pretense), it's the cool arrangement and the celebrative refrain melody that always take my atention.

5: Baby You're A Rich Man
5: Twist And Shout
4: It Won't Be Long
4: Dig A Pony
3: You Can't Do That
3: She's A Woman
2: I'm A Loser
2: You're Going To Lose That Girl
1: Back In The USSR
1: Oh! Darling

Toni, I acknowledge your points about "In My Life" -- the lyrics do have a universal appeal and the song is musically quite simple and charming, but I guess for me, I've never been all that enamored by John's reflective and autobiographical songs (I think "Universe" applies here as well); I've always preferred Lennon's more self-contained, introspective songs (eg. "I'm a Loser, "I Feel Fine", "I'm Only Sleeping") and especially his darker, more ambiguous avant-garde songs like "Walrus" and "Tomorrow Never Knows", etc. I think what's happened is that people have latched on to "In My Life" because of it's universality -- think of it as Lennon's "Imagine" while he was still with the Beatles. It's one of those songs that would see in a Lennon tribute, likely playing over a montage of slow-motion footage of John's life. It's sentimental and touching (and people love that shit), and it makes for a good story, but it's far too one-sided... it only tells a part of the tale. And it might be one of those cases where a critic decides to include it on their list simply because of its huge popular appeal, as if it would almost be amiss to not include it. (If I have to take something autobiographical from John, give me "Strawberry Fields" any day).

Of course, I should reiterate that the Beatles are my favorite group of all time and I love every one of their songs (even the ones that were voted out early in this game), and so of course, my comments should be taken with this in mind. Plus, I'd be willing to admit to the occasional critical exaggeration, as a game like this almost necessitates (and I'm probably not the only guilty party in this regard).

5: The Fool on the Hill
5: From Me to You
4: I've Just Seen a Face
4: And I Love Her
3: Doctor Robert
3: You Can't Do That
2: Love You To
2: Baby's in Black
1: Mean Mr. Mustard
1: You're Going to Lose That Girl

Starting to get difficult now. Once we get down to 100 songs, I'll probably just rank them and then gradually go down the list depending on what gets eliminated. I suspect others will do the same.

Just wondering why 'Free As A Bird' wasn't in this?
Don't laugh,but I think it's better than most of the songs that have been voted out here(and some that haven't)

Time for me to get into this game.

5: It Won't Be Long
5: All My Loving
4: Things We Said Today
4: You Can't Do That
3: The Word
3: Glass Onion
2: Yer Blues
2: Savoy Truffle
1: She's A Woman
1: I Feel Fine

Honestly, there isn't really an order to these songs. I'm simply not fond of the Beatles' early period.

Wow, this week four of my voted songs are gone.
5: It Won't Be Long
5: I Want to Tell You
4: Birthday
4: The Ballad of John and Yoko
3: Hello Goodbye
3: And I Love Her
New votes:
2: She’s a Woman: The Beatles were (almost) as good doing rhythm & blues numbers as any other British act (and much better doing pop numbers). “You Can’t Do That”, “Day Tripper”, “Drive My Car” as good samples. “She’s a Woman” is good too, but not better that the Stones.
2: The Word: really nice song with R&B backing, splendid harmonies and good psychedelic effects as the harmonium but dead-weighted, as some of you pointed, by facile hippie lyrics.
1: Good Morning Good Morning: wow, this is getting really difficult. When I’m trying to find arguments to explain why I’m voting out a song I always find a lot of arguments for not voting it. The quite silly melody of the chorus (borrowed from a TV advertisement), the slightly forced optimism, the “studio tomfoolery” (in Anthony’s words) are the negative aspects. But then there is that great brass section and that abrasive McCartney guitar solo and I think: oh, shit…
1: I Want To Hold Your Hand: can’t deny its historical importance but musically it was the first step back of a string of singles with every new one better than the previous. And no, this one wasn’t better than “She Loves You”.

Anthony, two answers to your questions:
- Regarding Beatles books I’d recommend the one that John mention, WJ Dowling “Beatlesongs” (I own the Spanish translation ) if you want a book about music, not a biography. But the Lewisohn one must be a goldmine for the ones (like me) interested in the recording process. Lewisohn was allowed to listen and categorize all the Fab Four original recording tapes (I would have liked that work too, wouldn’t you, Anthony?).
- Regarding your demand for more discussion, there’s a simple explanation: both the Beatles haters and the Beatles fundamentalists are not participating. All the participants are people that know well (and enjoy in different degrees) the Beatles catalog but know that there’s a lot other good music out there. Anyway it’s a nice change to participate in some civilized talking about The Beatles in this forum…

Time for me to get into the game too. We have to get rid of these songs before we get to the top 100...

5: She's a Woman
5: Dr. Robert
4: Dig a Pony
4: Mean Mr. Mustard
3: Polythene Pam
3: The Ballad of John and Yoko
2: Yer Blues
2: The Word
1: Baby's in Black
1: I've Just Seen a Face

And the "I can't believe they're already gone" section.

210. Love Me Do - 210!!!!
177. When I'm 64 - Yes, I admit I love it!
140. Drive My Car - ?
138. Michelle
135. Piggies
134. All You Need Is Love - Really? You have no love?

right on, Henrik... you know my name, revolution #9, blue jay way, bad boy, maxwell's silver hammer... owning all their stuff and having listened to it a million times doesn't necessarily lead to "heck, now I know what it's all about"...

Yes, but Revolution #9 is not my least favourite song. I rarely listen to it in full, but somehow it still adds value to the white album.

5: Please Please Me
5: No Reply
4: If I Fell
4: I'll Follow The Sun
3: Polythene Pam
2: Lady Madonna
2: Dear Prudence
1: Things We Said Today

that's it, Henrik. I'm really far from announcing the white album one of my desert island mates, but imagining it without Wild Honey Pie, Bungalow Bill, Me And My Monkey and #9 feels like adultery to me. chapeau to outright silliness.. (I didn't mention Piggies, btw.. even nj has her limit..)

At last I can play

5 I Will (Mc Ca can't hold back a half-good song)
5 I Should have known better
4 Baby You're a rich man
4 you can't do that
3 Baby's in Black
3 Everybody's Got Sthg To Hide...
2 She's A Woman
2 Lovely Rita
1 no Reply
1 Day Tripper

5: Julia
5: For No One
4: Good Morning, Good Morning
4: Got to Get You Into My Life
3: With a Little Help from My Friends
2: Because
2: Come Together
1: Polythene Pam

New entries this week are Because and Polythene Pam.

I gave, after much time, a listen to Abbey Road this week, and came to some surprises. First of all, Maxwell's Silver Hammer really seems, to me, a good song. I think it's the best song of Paul's '30s revival style begun with Good Day Sunshine, although much (not to say almost all) of its merit is due to the impressive quality of Abbey Road's recordings if compared to the other Beatles albums. Another songs that surprised me a little (in a good way) were Mean Mr. Mustard, Something, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window and The End. But, on the other hand, 2 songs were way under my expectations. I'd always thought of Because as an absolute perfect gem, but I almost didn't note that track in the last audition. I, personally, am not a huge fan of this kind of melancholic tracks, but hadn't still even thought of voting for this one probably because of thinking it was really touchable. So, after this listen, I finally realized it deserves my vote!
As for Polytheme Pam, the history is the exact opposite. Since my first audition of its album, it was one of the songs I liked most, maybe because its the first heavy track since the beginning of the medley part. But, during the subsequent listens, it was progressively losing its value to me, until yesterday it was the only moment (besides the Italian part of Sun King) that bothered my audition. Probably its greatest defect is that it's too repetitive for a so short song.

Conclusion: Abbey Road is Paul's best moment in the Beatles career and John's most mediocre one.

That's a good conclusion. John had already moved on to his own thing it seems. Just think if Paul and George decided to check out too (in a songwriting sense) and use the Abbey Road songs on their solo albums. McCartney and All Things Must Past might be considered some of the greatest albums of all time. Maybe not Paul, the Abbey Road songs don't really fit with the vibe of McCartney. But add Something and Here Comes the Sun to All Things Must Past. Top 20 ever? Maybe. But, that's just speculation, I'm glad they're all on Abbey Road.

5: Glass Onion: Self-conscious, navel gazing lacking much in the way of anything interesting.
5: You're Gonna Lose That Girl: Nothing technically wrong with this one, but of all the pre-Rubber Soul songs remaining, this is the one that just seems like it could have been written by any number of different bands.
4: Dig a Pony: Like most of Let it Be, it lacks that certain spark, and drones on for too long.
4: Yer Blues: They had much better efforts at the genre than this one.
4: Everybody's Got Something to Hide...
3: Good Day Sunshine
2: The Word
2: Mean Mr. Mustard
1: She's a Woman
1: Love You To

Looks like Birthday is finally going to be gone this time around. Shame that some of their most catchy songs are getting punished because of their (intentionally) goofy lyrics and simplicity.

Sorry,those cheesy back-up singers are just too much...