Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tom Waits

and hey charlie i think about you
everytime i pass a fillin station
om account of all the grease
you used to wear in your hair

Tom Waits, Christmas Card From A Hooker in Minneapolis, 1978 (from Blue Valentine)

So what is your opinion on this guy ?
To me he's one of the best living songwriters

Re: Tom Waits

It varies per day. Sometimes his voice annoys me, sometimes I just love it. Same goes for his songs, some are great, others are quite annoying. Great songwriter though.

I only enjoy his first album Closing Time. And as my friend (who worships at the altar of Waits) would say, that’s not even a real Tom Waits album, since it’s so far removed from his body of work, both musically and lyrically.

Not a big fan of most of his stuff - I love 'Downtown Train' though - one of my favourite songs

A muppet or Yoda he sounds like.

Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs are great albums. I don't know where to go from there, though. Maybe Alice just because it's his most recent good album.

He's a great songwriter. He knows how to be weird and eclectic without sucking at song structure.

Try Blue Valentine
To me (and I'm a big fan) Rain Dogs is the best, because after discovering his new style with Swordfishtrombone, he went further and depper with Rain Dogs. It's a trip to the roots of American music.
Blue Valentine is from his Island period, more jazzy and bluesy, but there are wonderful songs and lyrics.
If you like Tom Waits, try Bone Machine a very dark and experimental record relying on percussion, but with fantastic songs.

My choice would be
1. Rain Dogs (nb 8 in my top 100)
2. Blue Valentine (nb 20-so)
3. Bone Machine (40-so)

And don't be afraid : Tom Waits always puts his most difficult songs in first or second position. I don't know why.

She was sharp as a razor and soft as a prayer...

but romeo is bleeding as he gives the man his ticket
and he climbs to the balcony at the movies
and he'll die without a wimper
like every heros dream
just an angel with a bullet
and cagney on the screen

“Well things are pretty lousy for a calendar girl
The boys just dive right off the cars and splash into the street
And when theyre on a roll she pulls a razor from her boot
And a thousand pigeons fall around her feet”

Tom Waits Time 1985

That's poetry, boys

Time is my favorite Tom Waits song
His ballads are the best I can think of (Tom Traubert's blues, Time, Christmas Card From A Hooker, Kentucky Avenue, Hang Down Your Head, Hope I Don't Fall In Love With You, etc..)
And lyrically he's to me the equal of Dylan, Springsteen and Lou Reed (not for his influence but for the quality of the lyrics)

I just heard Downtown Train on CBC: the last radio station to play decent music!

He is my 2nd favourite artist of all-time after Nick Cave :)

Blue Valentine is probably my favourtie album of his

Anyone who reads the Survivor thread knows my feeling on Waits. I'm not going to really elaborate. I just know when I hear anything by him I immediately am appalled that the guy is held on such a high pedestal.