Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
VH-1 Greatest Songs of the 90s

Like the preliminary list it had for the 80s songs that it had a viewer vote on- just with some even weirder selections (i.e. one-hit wonders that you'd only see on this list- i.e. "Rico Suave" haha) Among those oddities, though, are some tracks that have enjoyed decent acclaim. And it looks like no act has more than one entry listed.

http://www.vh1.com/shows/the_greatest/songs_90s/_2007/index.jhtml

Re: VH-1 Greatest Songs of the 90s

This makes me regret that I included the 80s list!

Why do you regret it? A lot of good songs - "Nothing Compares 2 U," "Wonderwall," "November Rain," "Vision Of Love" - are represented here.

Haha...

There are some good ones on here- but ones that stick out like a sore thumb are Gerardo, the Nelson brothers and somne other oddities like that.

Think of it this way, Henrik- I imagine the chances of us seeing "Rico Suave" in the Acclaimed 3000 is rather slim. :)

You might as well call that list Now: This is the 90's!

But that said it's good to have that included in the list. The one good thing that Pitchfork has done for music criticism is making it ok to like a pop song again. Look at the difference between the 90's and 00's on the AM song list. IT could be that pop music was just really bad in the 90's though. Most of that stuff on that list is pretty bad. But, it is representing what a fair amount of the population consider the best songs of that decade so it most definitely belongs maybe even more so than some of the other lists.

At least 20-30 of the songs are already on the AM list, with more bubbling under. While some choices may seem questionable/cheesy, I think it would be lame to only look for lists that already match the AM list. Who is to say there isn't something enjoyable about Gerardo?

Think of it this way, Henrik- I imagine the chances of us seeing "Rico Suave" in the Acclaimed 3000 is rather slim.

This is mostly true, but there are problems. I can just name one: Macarena will enter the top 3000.

I think it would be lame to only look for lists that already match the AM list

I certainly do not look for lists that match the AM list. But the songs outside AM that deserve to be here are the brilliant-but-lesser-known ones, not the big-hits-without-brain ones.

I think that VH-1's definition of greatest is "the songs that our listeners are most familiar with". Which has nothing to do with greatness, really.

Sorry, I'm not usually this aggressive, but I just had a computer crash!

Well...

I don't know if I'd go THAT far, butm yes, I agree that all lists don't have to be full of super-acclaimed tracks. Makes it more interesting.

Was "Macarena"...

ever in the top 3000? Even with all the other lists to add, it still woukd? Still, though- if it does, surely it won't last long!

I certainly do not look for lists that match the AM list. But the songs outside AM that deserve to be here are the brilliant-but-lesser-known ones, not the big-hits-without-brain ones.
Why?

I'd Think...

because something like "Macarena" is pretty much a joke. People tend to try to forget about it rather than remember it.

Let me put it like this: You enter a room with 10 people who are discussing two songs. The songs are praised by one person each. The 9 persons who don't praise song 1 hate it, while the 9 persons who don't praise song 2 have never heard it. Which song would be most likely to appeal to you?

People tend to try to forget about it rather than remember it.

Apparently we all remember it. And it did sell 4 million copies in the U.S., so clearly a lot of people liked it.

Yes...

but it was something popular of the moment (there are lots of head-scratchin' why-was-that-so-popular tracks out there). It hasn't lived on all that well, now has it?

It hasn't lived on all that well, now has it?
i still hear it at weddings.

and when is the last time you heard "blowin' in the wind" on the radio? i guess that should be taken off these lists, too.

Blowin' In The Wind? Bla..bla-bla BLASPHEMY!

LOL!

Are we comparing "Macarena" to "Blowin' in the Wind"? That's another topic altogether! What's next, likening "The Chicken Dance" to the best by Elvis or The Beatles?

"Electric Boogie" (aka "The Electric Slide") also is heard at weddings (and is more known than its intitial chart peak would indicate)- though it certainly wouldn't be a track that would get lots of acclaim (tho it's a fun track).

jr, how often do you listen to bob dylan?

i feel like people are too pretentious around here. a song doesn't have to be political or alternative or folksy to be good.

I listened to Blowin' In The Wind 18 times in the last 3 months, and I listened to 100 Bob Dylan songs last week. Not that you asked me, but I felt like posting that anyway since I was posting last.fm rankings.

For anyone interested, the special highlighting the top 100 songs will air in hourly installments this week. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was voted as the #1 song.

If This List Was Going To Be Included...

just realized the link no longer works, and I don't know what all the others were. If anything, maybe the final 100 could be included, just with no rankings assigned (since the final result was determined from online voting).

Apparantly the list is listed here as well.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071222112257AA4mhbc

And here:

01. Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
02. U2 "One"
03. Backstreet Boys "I Want It That Way"
04. Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You"
05. Madonna "Vogue"
06. Sir Mix-A-Lot "Baby Got Back"
07. Britney Spears "...Baby One More Time"
08. TLC"Waterfalls"
09. R.E.M. "Losing My Religion"
10. Sinéad O'Connor "Nothing Compares 2 U"
11. Pearl Jam "Jeremy"
12. Alanis Morissette "You Oughta Know"
13. Dr. Dre (featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg) "Nuthin' but a "G" Thang"
14. Mariah Carey "Vision of Love"
15. Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under the Bridge"
16. MC Hammer "U Can't Touch This"
17. Destiny's Child "Say My Name"
18. Metallica "Enter Sandman"
19. Beastie Boys "Sabotage"
20. Hanson "MMMBop"
21. Celine Dion "My Heart Will Go On"
22. Beck "Loser"
23. Salt-N-Pepa with En Vogue "Whatta Man"
24. House of Pain "Jump Around"
25. Soundgarden "Black Hole Sun"
26. Eminem "My Name Is"
27. Counting Crows "Mr. Jones"
28. Ricky Martin "Livin' la Vida Loca"
29. Vanilla Ice "Ice Ice Baby"
30. *NSYNC "Tearin' Up My Heart"
31. Radiohead "Creep"
32. BLACKstreet "No Diggity"
33. Spice Girls "Wannabe"
34. Third Eye Blind "Semi-Charmed Life"
35. Oasis "Wonderwall"
36. C+C Music Factory "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)"
37. Green Day "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)"
38. Christina Aguilera "Genie In A Bottle"
39. Goo Goo Dolls "Iris"
40. Color Me Badd "I Wanna Sex You Up"
41. Spin Doctors "Two Princes"
42. Collective Soul "Shine"
43. En Vogue "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)"
44. The Fugees "Killing Me Softly With His Song"
45. Hootie & the Blowfish "Only Wanna Be With You"
46. Shania Twain "You're Still the One"
47. Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch "Good Vibrations"
48. Matchbox Twenty "3 AM"
49. Jewel "Who Will Save Your Soul"
50. Alice in Chains "Man in the Box"
51. Tupac (featuring Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman) "California Love"
52. Sugar Ray "Fly"
53. Naughty by Nature "O.P.P."
54. Joan Osborne "One of Us"
55. Fiona Apple "Criminal"
56. L.L. Cool J "Mama Said Knock You Out"
57. Jay-Z featuring Amil and Ja Rule "Can I Get A..."
58. Sophie B. Hawkins "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover"
59. Weezer "Buddy Holly"
60. Bell Biv DeVoe "Poison"
61. Sheryl Crow "All I Wanna Do"
62. Live "I Alone"
63. The Notorious B.I.G. featuring Mase & Puff Daddy "Mo Money Mo Problems"
64. The Presidents of the United States of America "Peaches"
65. Digital Underground "The Humpty Dance"
66. Edwin McCain "I'll Be"
67. Deee-Lite "Groove Is In The Heart"
68. Will Smith "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It"
69. Korn "Freak on a Leash"
70. Jamiroquai "Virtual Insanity"
71. Arrested Development "Tennessee"
72. Barenaked Ladies "One Week"
73. Marcy Playground "Sex and Candy"
74. Cher "Believe"
75. Kris Kross "Jump"
76. Blues Traveler "Run-Around"
77. Ice Cube "It Was a Good Day"
78. Lenny Kravitz "Are You Gonna Go My Way"
79. Meredith Brooks "Bitch"
80. Right Said Fred "I'm Too Sexy"
81. Paula Cole "I Don't Want to Wait"
82. Geto Boys "Mind Playing Tricks on Me"
83. The Breeders "Cannonball"
84. Snow "Informer"
85. Cypress Hill "Insane In The Brain"
86. The Cranberries "Linger"
87. Billy Ray Cyrus "Achy Breaky Heart"
88. Duncan Sheik "Barely Breathing"
89. Liz Phair "Never Said"
90. New Radicals "You Get What You Give"
91. Sarah McLachlan "Building a Mystery"
92. Public Enemy "911 Is A Joke"
93. Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories "Stay"
94. Fastball "The Way"
95. Montell Jordan "This is How We Do It"
96. Nelson "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection"
97. Prince & The New Power Generation "Gett Off"
98. EMF "Unbelievable"
99. Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott "The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)"
100. Gerardo "Rico Suave"

I Meant...

the initial list of nominees, but thanks. :)

No Smashing Pumpkins?

That Final 100...

was determined by online voting- not sure if SP was in the initial list of nominees.

Just Came Across This Again...

And, Henrik, a good thing about this list is that since the initial list of nominees is nowhere to be found- and just including these 100 songs, with a "No Order" citation- "Macarena" does not benefit. :)

While I understand the concerns about Gerardo and Los Del Rio, I am definitely in favor of giving pop music more of a chance here. A couple songs getting a deserved "bump" here are:

Paula Cole "Where have all the Cowboys Gone?"
Presidents of the United States of America "Peaches" (think this is a vastly better tune than "Lump")
Joan Osborne "One of Us"
Spin Doctors "Two Princes"
C+C Music Factory "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)"

It's fine to include lists with a lot of oddball entries, but not lists that were clearly made to pander to a mainstream audience that cares more about the visuals than the sound.

Out of These 100 Songs...

61 currently are ranked in the top 3000; 12 are Bubbling Under; and 27 currently aren't ranked in the top 3000. So, this group of songs actually isn't as acclaim-challenged as one might think upon first glance.

One strange thing I noticed- there are songs "Bubbling Under" that only have 1 citation (though the last update)- i.e. Liz Phair's "Never Said." This list would give it a second citation, but I doubt it would be enough to ghet into the top 3,000 (especially with others bubbling under that have more citations- though that could depend on weightings and such).

Greg...

Paula Cole's entry is "I Don't Want to Wait."

Like said, there are 27 entries not even listed as Bubbling Under, so I can't see this list giving them too much of a boost, especially if a track has two all-time/era citations with a "No Order" credit, say this one and that 7,500 Most important Songs. But again, I imagine it depends on weightings of some lists.

"Greg...

Paula Cole's entry is "I Don't Want to Wait."

Ugh..missed that. Don't really care that much about one. "Cowboys" is a good tune though.

JR, I don't know if that was a serious proposal, but there's no way I would include only one half of a list. Especially if that half was decided by listeners.

From What I Recall...

there may have been 25 or so other initial nominees (like the one for the 1980's).

What I was saying is, to take this list of songs and use a "No Order" citation- if there were 125 songs on the initial list, we have 80% of them listed here, a good amount more than half. Maybe give it less weight, since there are some songs missing?

(would have been nice if I copied the initial list of nominees into this thread as I did for the 80's one; a lot of posted links have expired)