3 The White Stripes - Elephant
4 Outkast - Speakerboxxx
5 Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
6 Radiohead - Kid A
7 Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
8 The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
9 Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
10 Outkast - Stankonia

It all seems to be rather similar genre-wise. Is there perhaps too much emphysis on popular music and established artists for the more recent years? There is perhaps a "flavour of the month" element; many lists from the last few years that have been included are perhaps not by critics who have selected from or even heard a broad and diverse selection of music.

Just my ponderings at 2:30am on Sunday morning, I do feel the 2000s list looks a bit odd.

Re: 2000s list seems dominated by particular music style

That's true, we do seem to be informed most about Alternative Rock and Hip/Hop, when I'm sure there is plenty of different kinds of music being released. Then again the billboard charts are even lamer, with the teen pop, country pop, and the pop rap. There's plenty of world music that's amazing, you just need to find it.

Re: 2000s list seems dominated by particular music style

I guess the Mojo list will change this somewhat. They are usually more open towards genres that aren't currently the flavour of the year.

Personally I am disappointed that acts such as Paul McCartney, Kate Bush, Depeche Mode and Madonna don't perform better, as all they have (and most reviews also say this) released their best albums in ages. But they are too old for mags such as NME, I guess..